Varicocele Sufferers - How is everyone doing?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.02%

Varicocele Sufferers - How is everyone doing?

I wanted to startup a seperate thread to find out how everyone is doing with regards to varicoceles. I know my previous varicocele threads brought allot of new guy's to light and wanted to find out the status on everyone.

Is anyone on full TRT now and NOT getting ED anymore (or has a high libido again)? Has anyone got testicular size back using HCG? How many people are hypothyroid now due to varicocele (a common problem after varicocele)?

Keep me updated guy's, i am keen to get a proper website put together for us in the next few weeks.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.11%

It has been three months since my embolization. It seems to only be partially gone, unfortunately. I recovered some testicle size and testosterone using clomid 12.5mg/day for 2 months. My current test level is mid 700's. I am due for another test in July, that will be the final verdict to see if I can hold the high level without HCG/TRT.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  154 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.38%

How long you need to have a varicocele to affect the thyroid permanently?
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.34%

I had embolisation also in Dec and initially all seemed good with the veins feeling deflated but unfortunately as the months have past it has returned just as it was before. I went back to the doctor who has arranged for me to see the consultant to get the operation done. I did try clomid for a while and see a small improvement (mood etc) but I think that until I get the varicocele fixed progress will be slow.

B
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

I had my Micro-Surgery on Dec.14 2007 -

After three months of healing time my T level was only at 293 (241-827)

My TSH is .935

SHBG is 18 (13-71)

This is the results prior to my Starting Androgel on April 4, 2008

I started at 4 pumps and experienced the WOW Effect after the first week or so then the crash soon after ....

I self medicated up to 6 pumps a day and was doing very well I would say and then found my self getting to "RANDY" and dropped back to 4 pumps after a 4 day skip altogether .... I have been at the 4 pumps a day for the past 5 days and so far feeling fine .... Not as "RANDY", but being excited is easier than it was before Androgel ....

Prior to the drop to 4 pumps a day I was having MANY random erections and my sexual toughts were very vivid .... I am having pretty regular morning wood and the anxiety of making love is not as persistent as it was ....

I can say that my ED issues are all but gone .... My head is much better .... I have random thoughts, good vivd dreams, energy level is up, I notice I am gaining some of my muscle back, without really trying, My over all atitude is AWESOME !

Androgel ROCKS !

I may boost my dose again to 5 pumps a day and see if that levels me off a bit ....
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.34%

Does that mean you are dependent on Androgel now?

What happens when you stop?

What about HCG or Clomid to kick start T levels?
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.11%

Quote Originally Posted by beckerj View Post
    I had my Micro-Surgery on Dec.14 2007 -

After three months of healing time my T level was only at 293 (241-827)

My TSH is .935

SHBG is 18 (13-71)

This is the results prior to my Starting Androgel on April 4, 2008

I started at 4 pumps and experienced the WOW Effect after the first week or so then the crash soon after ....

I self medicated up to 6 pumps a day and was doing very well I would say and then found my self getting to "RANDY" and dropped back to 4 pumps after a 4 day skip altogether .... I have been at the 4 pumps a day for the past 5 days and so far feeling fine .... Not as "RANDY", but being excited is easier than it was before Androgel ....

Prior to the drop to 4 pumps a day I was having MANY random erections and my sexual toughts were very vivid .... I am having pretty regular morning wood and the anxiety of making love is not as persistent as it was ....

I can say that my ED issues are all but gone .... My head is much better .... I have random thoughts, good vivd dreams, energy level is up, I notice I am gaining some of my muscle back, without really trying, My over all atitude is AWESOME !

Androgel ROCKS !

I may boost my dose again to 5 pumps a day and see if that levels me off a bit ....
    Hey bro, glad to hear you're doing better! Has your varicocele returned, or is it gone now? I am thinking micro-surgery may have been a better choice, since a few of us here have had it return after embolization.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

Thanks LeanGuy -

Well I did have 20 veins ligated on my Left .... Dr. said that it was impressive .... When i went back for my follow up he said it is about 75% gone .... I have not had any return that I am currently aware of .... I still have phantom pain from time to time .... i think it is mainly due to the caffine that I drink on occasion .... Like I was just on vacation and did not really have a lot of caffine free coke ..... So i drank more than I wanted ....
    I will advise all that need surgery to get the Micro-Surgery ....
    As for the Androgel and Brian's question ....

Yeah i am dependent on Androgel from now on ....

Unfortunately i am experiencing the withdrawls right now .... I am at the tail end of my script and Walgreens won't refill it until it has been 29 days .... So I have been skipping doses for the past week and a half and i am feeling it .... Not pretty right now .... Not horrible but not like i have been feeling ....

If this is what your guys that get injections go through at the end of the month .... I feel your pain ....

As for the HCG i am going to ask the Dr when i see him at the first of the month .... And Ask for som leeway onthe script .....

I did try nolva for a week before going on Androgel ... mostly cause i did not think the Dr would give me the androgel .... I did it on a M-W-Th schedule .... I did feel a bit better ....

My guess is the varicocele messed with my thyroid as well as my TSH number is .935 .... Within normal range, but not very high-normal .... But the Endo said all is well .... He said that about my T level too ... and the Urologist seems to think different ....

So .... I really wish there was more info about this thing out here for the general public to know more about ....
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.11%

My guess is the varicocele messed with my thyroid as well as my TSH number is .935 .... Within normal range, but not very high-normal ....
    Have you ever tested free T3/T4?
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

Yeah ... They were normal .... Well within normal range .....
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.98%

Hi fellas. Just got back from the Urologist and he is setting up an embolization for me for the varicocele on left testicle. I have had it for at least 15 years [I'm 32]. I have always had fairly regular ED and have been convinced my T levels were low for years as I have pretty much always felt as if im running on half a tank! I have all the symptoms of low T ,ED, cold extremities [including the penis at times!] occasional mild depression, anxiety, sweats, lethargy, low sex drive, muscle/joint ache, body fat that is practically impossible to shift unless I drop calories dramatically even then i always have some around my lower abs, fairly poor returns from lots of gym work etc..

A few months back I had some saliva hormone tests done which gave me a morning T level of 55pg/ml, DHEA of 130pg/ml, oestradiol of 2.1 pg/ml and cortisol levels between 0.1 and 1.1 ng/ml.

I then had a eureka moment and googled "can varicocele cause low testosterone" which led me here. That in turn led me to the Dr's where as suggested i claimed I was in significant pain [I'm not it just aches slightly sometimes..] to get it sorted in the hope of fixing lefty to try to raise my T levels.

This and the previous larger Varicocele thread are sanity saving threads even if the surgery does'nt fix my T levels!! Thanks!!!!
    Last edited by Vidal Baboon; 06-05-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: To complete entry.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.63%

hey everyone, got my laparoscopic varicocelectomy (what a mouthful) last friday. Everything is healing up nicely. It was on my left testicle and has completely diminished already.

I have noticed a sharp increase in libido this last week, very unusual. This suprises me since I came off my androgel last week before the surgery. So far Im very happy with how its going. I was planning on taking clomid after this, but Im starting to think I may not need it, i'll keep you guys posted.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.98%

Boys, so is the consensus that embolization is not the best option? I'm due to have mine embolized when the NHS pull their fingers out and sort me out an appointment but I think I could probably change to having the varicolectomy instead?

Opinions please?
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.63%

I got the varicocelectomy and I can say that it fixed it within two days of the surgery. I have heard that the embolization can take months before it shrinks.

The varicocelectomy is not invasive at all three tiny incisions, no big deal

Doctor told me 5% of reoccurence and 3% possibility of hydrocele=93% chance success
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

I am 36 and had the surgery because of the chances of recovery without HRT and I am now 6 months hout and 3 months on HRT .... My T was not moved .... I beleive age is the most important factor .... youger = better chance of not needing HRT after procedure ....
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  159 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.15%

I am 36 and had the surgery because of the chances of recovery without HRT and I am now 6 months hout and 3 months on HRT .... My T was not moved .... I beleive age is the most important factor .... youger = better chance of not needing HRT after procedure ....
    beckerj,

Did you have your bloodwoork after 3 months on Androgel
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

I am going to get that done on the 20th and should have the results for my follow up appt on the 26th .... I will be gettin them done at LabCorp ....

E2 will be included ....

I then have an appointment I have been waiting for, for 3 months with another Endo that is supposed to be pretty good .... I'll have labs for him that are fresh .... I am hoping he will either add in HCG or tell me that HCG will be all I need .... The Androgel has done wonders for me, but I am not keen on being on it forever .... But if I have to, I have to ....
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.92%

hey guys. I have this! I first noticed it after my first steroid cycle when I was 16. My right testicle is much much smaller than my left, about the size of a raisin. I have veins all over it. I went to the urologist with my mother (arg!) when I was 16 and refused to masterbate into a cup so I haven't had it checked since.

I'll have to go back now. I'm 30. Maybe there is something that can be done.

Thanks for posting. It helped me alot!
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

I am very concerned as it is on the right side .... Make sure you press the Dr.
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.92%

incidentally, did you see a urologist to have the surgery?
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

Yes .... The second one was concerned as I am about what you said about yours and sent me for an MRI and CAT scan .... Came back clear for me .... I remember something said about if it appears on the right instead of the left ....
  22. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.92%

Hmm, I'll have to get it checked out right away then.
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  159 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.15%

Yes .... The second one was concerned as I am about what you said about yours and sent me for an MRI and CAT scan .... Came back clear for me .... I remember something said about if it appears on the right instead of the left ....
    beckerj,

After using androgel, how are your testes? Are they same in size before using androgel or changed in size. How about firmness?
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

No .... I have lost some size .... Not very dramatic from an observational point of view, and they are not as firm ....

I can't wait to see the new Endo at the end of the month ....
  25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.11%

No .... I have lost some size .... Not very dramatic from an observational point of view, and they are not as firm ....

I can't wait to see the new Endo at the end of the month ....
    You gonna ask for HCG?
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

You know it buddy .... Not sure but i think the E2 is creeping up now .... past two days I have been on an emotional roller coaster ....
  27. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

MKUltra - How's it going ?
  28. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.63%

I have not had any pain at all and I would say the veins are 90% gone two weeks post op.

Libido was up up up the first week, but has since leveled off, I have yet to get blood work. The incisions on my abdomen are still healing as well.
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

Good .... Sounds like my results as well .... Although I had a 75% reduction .... I still have varicocele 25% in my left and 100% reduction in my right ....

First week to two weeks I also had a spike in libido .... Then it leveled off and dropped ....

How old are ya ?
  30. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.63%

im 22. Im hoping for it to come back if I just stay off of everything for awhile. I was only on androgel for 3 months before the surgery and have not continued it afterward.

The weird thing was as my right testicle got smaller from the androgel the left one (the one with the varicocele) stayed the same, maybe even got a little larger. My theory is that it had backed up hormones that were all released quickly in the first week, so it was like a jump start.

Since stopping the androgel I havent felt like crap yet, so I think my levels may be getting more stable, however T is definately not as high as when on androgel. I will get blood work in the near future to confirm .
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

Well being 22 I think will help .... I am 36 .... I was hoping against hope that it would come back for me as well .... The studies for the surgery and the kick back of T were done with younger guys .... So you do have that going for you ....

Might right testicle is also smaller and the left one is not seeming to get smaller .... I have been on the Androgel for 2 1/2 months with 2 weeks off as I ran out .... I was fine till I ran out .... Then I went to hell .... I am slowly coming back, but it is a hard road ....

So how was your ED if you had it while on the Androgel and when did you see an improvement .... I know you are younger than me, but want to get your input ....

I had my blood drawn today according to allthingsmale follow up testing .... Should know that by this coming Friday .... I am so interested in seeing what my numbers are .... I think my E2 has spiked .... And I am hoping that is the cause of my ED ....
  32. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.63%

i was on androgel 10g every day. Libido was strong, erections were strong. Right after the surgery I had really frequent erections, right now not so much, but I have a lot of other stress (work) factors right now, so its hard to judge. Also, my girlfriend is out of town.

From March 07 to March 08 I rarely had a solid erection, after I started the androgel, every girl I saw I got an erection, it was almost too much honestly.

I started taking letrozole last week .25 mg everyday to keep the rebound in check, I am estrogen prone, and tend to gain weight in my chest (puffy nips, pseudogyno) and stomach easily even though I only weigh 180 (Im 6') and 10% bf.

Have you tried clomid or HCG to help?
  33. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

My Doc started me at 4 pumps a day and after 2 weeks crashed and I upped the dose to 6 .... Felt great actually .... Positive, random erections, and morning wood .... Ran out of the stuff and was off it for two weeks .... I am now at day 23 back at 6 pumps and not feeling the same .... Afraid of upping the dose as I don't want to run out ....
    Tried to perform last night and anxiety grabbed me and woudn't let go .... If I do it myself or get it going first it seems okay ....
    I have nolvadex and thinking maybe I should try it .... There again though afraid of messing things up .... I went to have labs drawn today and hoping they come back good ....
  34. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.63%

from what Ive heard (im not a doctor) but nolva is very selective with estrogen blocking, mainly to the breasts. Clomid can stimulate LH and block estrogen throughout the body increasing testosterone. Im in a believer in less is more, when Ive taken it in the past I took 50mg for a couple days and then dropped it down to 25mg.

If you did a slow enough taper down you could have a pretty smooth transition and may be able to keep ur levels up after coming off.

Have u tried high dosing tribulus? When I take over 1000mg at a time it really helps with the libido/ED. I dont think it does much for T, but it helped with sex. Ive heard good things about fenugreek but I haven't tried it yet.
  35. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.98%

Getting my embolization done on tues the 2nd of july. Was going to change it and have the varicocelectomy but I got the appointment in the meantime and figure I'll go with the embolization as I would have to wait a lot longer for the varicocelectomy.
    I WANT A DECENT LIBIDO IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK!!!!!!!!

Will keep you all posted on here and will look to get some bloodwork done too.
  36. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  154 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.38%

It has been 4 weeks since my surgery and nothing's changed - still no libido and no spontaneous erections. I think the varicocele got a little bit smaller but i'm not sure. Is that normal ? Should i wait more .... the doctor told me to go for a check up after 2 months but i'm loosing hope that i would get to how i was before.....
  37. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

Okay how old are you remington ?

It was three months out my Doc wanted me back for a follow up ultrasound ....

I am 36 .... I am now on HRT .... 6 pumps a day .... Still need V for sex ... take 100MG .... A lot of that is nerve and confidence ... have a failure and it just rolls forward ....

I can say this ... you need wellbutrin .... or at least I did ... it made all the difference in the world ... but remember it is not in your head .... It is real .... it is a medical condition that is not recognized by the medical community .... Maybe after enough of us get to the Docs they will talk in meetings and conventions about their patients like us and take us seriously .... Of course maybe i am in a dream world .... but i HOPE ....

Also .... If you have to go to HRT it is not the worse thing that could happen .... My dad dropped dead of a Heart attack at 36 .... I am now 36 and if HRT is my price, I'll take it ....

And after you have been on HRT for a little bit you will feel more like you used to ....
  38. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

Quote Originally Posted by MkUltra View Post
    from what Ive heard (im not a doctor) but nolva is very selective with estrogen blocking, mainly to the breasts. Clomid can stimulate LH and block estrogen throughout the body increasing testosterone. Im in a believer in less is more, when Ive taken it in the past I took 50mg for a couple days and then dropped it down to 25mg.

If you did a slow enough taper down you could have a pretty smooth transition and may be able to keep ur levels up after coming off.

Have u tried high dosing tribulus? When I take over 1000mg at a time it really helps with the libido/ED. I dont think it does much for T, but it helped with sex. Ive heard good things about fenugreek but I haven't tried it yet.
    I am hoping the new Endo will have a clue with HRT and set me up on the right course, which i hope includes HCG .... but we will have to wait and see .... I also can't wait to get my labs back to see where I am .... I think I need to have my dose of T upped again .... I did an extra two pumps yesterday and seem a bit more confident ....
  39. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  159 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.15%

I am hoping the new Endo will have a clue with HRT and set me up on the right course, which i hope includes HCG .... but we will have to wait and see .... I also can't wait to get my labs back to see where I am .... I think I need to have my dose of T upped again .... I did an extra two pumps yesterday and seem a bit more confident ....
    Beckerj,

I have bilateral varicoceles. I don't have erection problems.The problem is i have strong erections and can't release easily. I am not on V and I am on depo-test for 1.5 month. I don't have fatigue anymore.But I do have cloudy vision sometimes in the day and constant headaches. My only conern and worry is the size of testes. How small will they become If I will be on depo-Test for life.They are already small because of sudden varicoceles. I don't understand why doctors don't think about sudden varicoceles or sudden shrinkage of testicles.
    When i was not on Depo-Test I didnt have good erections. Now i have very good erections, That means erections are dependent on testosterone.Doctors unless you are planning for kids, you need go for HCG, otherwise they are not prescribing it. But they dont understand that we need to take care of our testes (its not becos of fertility issue)
    Sometimes when varicoceles happen suddenly, nerve that relates to random erections become weak, so we dont get random erections.This is my assumption. I feel pretty bad and sad that at this age I have to be on HRT.
  40. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  154 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.38%

I'm 20 and i have never been on any hormones. I got the varicocele about 2 months ago so i don't think it had the time to lower my testosterone but it's somehow messing up other hormones because my problems are only sexual. It's really weird - how can i have ED and premature ejaculation (really premature!!) at the same time?

Similar Forum Threads

1. varicocele and epi
    By qnzlilshotta in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 04:59 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 12:24 PM
  3. Should Insomnia Sufferers Consdier SAMe Supplements
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 03:25 PM
  4. Gyno sufferers