Injecting HCG--Problem...

raw1973

Awards
Today i was injecting Sub-q next to navel. I swabbed area w/ alcohol and inserted needle. I don't know what i did but hit a sore spot and accidentally pulled needle out. I should have tossed it but checked for air bubbles and reinserted.

It was stupid, I'm somewhat new to this and wasn't thinking. Know I'm kind of concerned. What's the chance of getting infection?

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
Today i was injecting Sub-q next to navel. I swabbed area w/ alcohol and inserted needle. I don't know what i did but hit a sore spot and accidentally pulled needle out. I should have tossed it but checked for air bubbles and reinserted.

It was stupid, I'm somewhat new to this and wasn't thinking. Know I'm kind of concerned. What's the chance of getting infection?
You'll be fine.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
Today i was injecting Sub-q next to navel. I swabbed area w/ alcohol and inserted needle. I don't know what i did but hit a sore spot
I inject same area EOD with tiny slin-pin 31gauge. At least once a month I hit a small blood vessel and get a bruise the size of an orange. I know when I hit one because there is slight pain with the stick (usually no pain) and when I withdraw the needle there is a tiny spot of blood on the skin where I injected (usually no blood). Also the HCG stays as a hard lump under the skin when I hit blood (no lump with a "good" shot). I hit one 10 days ago and I still have the bruise. Nasty looking things.

Anyone know if there is a way to avoid?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
The reason you don't reuse needles is because there only designed for single use. Try this, stick yourself with a fresh needle, then get a new needle or the same one and stick it into the rubber stopper of a vial about 3 times then stick yourself and you will notice a big difference, the smaller and sharper a needle is the less it hurts but the more easily it blunts.

I got a bruise 1st time I injected, not sure if I hit a blood vessel or not, but I have noticed blood a few times and have never got a bruise from it, there are 2 tricks to not getting a bruise, 1stly take it out the same angle you put it in, and don't move it around once its in, so be careful if you aspirate. I stick it in slowly but take it out fast, thats what works for me. Another trick is to rub the area in a circle after injection, I guess you should do this if you see blood, I assume this works on the same principle to why you hold down an injection site after you get a drip or needle in your vein, and it really works, I have had drips before and once I didn't hold it down and I had a huge bruise. Now I always make sure I hold it down and have never got a bruise from drips or blood work.

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
The reason you don't reuse needles is because there only designed for single use. Try this, stick yourself with a fresh needle, then get a new needle or the same one and stick it into the rubber stopper of a vial about 3 times then stick yourself and you will notice a big difference, the smaller and sharper a needle is the less it hurts but the more easily it blunts.

I got a bruise 1st time I injected, not sure if I hit a blood vessel or not, but I have noticed blood afew times and have never got a bruise from it, there are 2 tricks to not getting a bruise, 1stly take it out the same angle to put it in, and dont move it around once its in, so be careful if you aspirate. I stick it in slowly but take it out fast, thats what works for me. Another trick is to rub the area in a circle after injection, I guess you should do this if you see blood, I am guessing this works on the same principle to why you hold down an injection site after you get a drip or needle in your vein, and it really works, I have gotton drips before and once I didnt hold it down and I had a huge bruise. Now I always make sure I hold it down and have never got a bruise even from drips.

I think the poster was worried about contamination.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I think the poster was worried about contamination.
Yea I know, but I am just explaining why you dont re-use as I thought it was just about contamination too until i read on the box of my needles that the reason you dont re-use is because the needles of today are so small and sharp.

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
Yea I know, but I am just explaining why you dont re-use as I thought it was just about contamination too until i read on the box of my needles that the reason you dont re-use is because the needles of today are so small and sharp.

That's good to know.

TiredOldFart

Awards
The needle gets damaged going through the rubber stopper, not from going through your skin. You can move to another injection site without wasting the dose.

You should not reuse needles. The sharp tip is somewhat damaged as it pierces the stopper. The damage you see on the package insert for needles is from access through the stopper, not from going through skin. You want to access through the thin area of the stopper too. When you reuse needles, they get damaged a second and third pass through the stopper. Those who reuse needles, have you ever had one get stuck? That is from the dull needle cutting out a latex plug from the stopper, like a cookie cutter. Do you really want to inject rubber bits and metal?

Try to use a unique spot in the stopper each time, because needle fragments can collect in the stopper. The fragments are very hard and they cause additional damage to the tip. You can end up with needle fragments under your skin from using them over. At 30 cents each, reuse of needles is false economy.

I hope you are remembering to aspirate the needle first to confirm you are not injecting into a blood vessel.

MacDonnell

Awards
I inject same area EOD with tiny slin-pin 31gauge. At least once a month I hit a small blood vessel and get a bruise the size of an orange. I know when I hit one because there is slight pain with the stick (usually no pain) and when I withdraw the needle there is a tiny spot of blood on the skin where I injected (usually no blood). Also the HCG stays as a hard lump under the skin when I hit blood (no lump with a "good" shot). I hit one 10 days ago and I still have the bruise. Nasty looking things.

Anyone know if there is a way to avoid?
Gator, I get these things too - Sometimes I inject into upper outer thighs to avoid the bruises flanking my belly button.

It's Hectic, thanks for the advice. I will def. try this technique...tomorrow morning, in fact. :)

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.