Best Way to Come Off TRT?

1. Registered User

Best Way to Come Off TRT?

After 4 years of TRT, I am thinking about stopping to see where I am. What is the best way to come off? I've been doing test shorts and hcg shots.

Thanks

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  XXX lbs.

Talk to your doc?

MB
    -Saving random peoples' nuts, one pair at at time... PCT info:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/192992-pct-what-why.html
    -Are you really ready for a cycle? Read this link and be honest:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/191120-checklist-before-thinking.html
    *I am not a medical expert, my opinions are not professional, and I strongly suggest doing research of your own.*
  3. Member
    Stats
    6'4"  0 lbs.

What does your current dosing look like? Why did you originally start TRT (just dont want to assume anything here)?
    •   

4. Registered User

Good questions. I started TRT as I was feeling pretty run down and fatigued. My doc ran a test panel and I was toward the bottom of the reference range on Total T and below reference range for Free T. I am definitely secondary based on the labs as well (LH and FSH were normal/low). My wife believes I have sleep apnea as I have breathing issues. I saw some research which indicates that sleep apnea can cause low test, etc. So, I want to go off. My current reg is 80mg test once a week. 350 iu of hcg twice a week.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.

why do you want to come off?
  6. Gold Member

come off?????

woah woah woah... slow down with the madness there. how about tripling the dose instead!!!!!!!!!
  7. Registered User

I'm thinking the original low test labs were due to my sleep apnea issues (I think my first TT lab was 340 or so). I want to go off, establish baseline, take care of the apnea and then hopefully get off lifetime TRT.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

keep in mind - Low T causes sleep issues on it's own.
    Your low T could have been causing you your sleep disorder, but have it checked out by a sleep clinic to be sure.
  9. Registered User

I know there is a cause/effect issue here. But, i've been on TRT for 4 years and still have symptoms of sleep apnea. So, if I get off TRT, establish a baseline, address the apnea and see where I am. If I still have low T after this, then I can always go back on.

So, back to the original question, should I use a pct type protocol or just go off and let time take its course?

Here was an article on sleep apnea and test:

Decreased Testosterone Levels Linked To Sleep Disorder
    July 25, 2002

Sleep apnea is a respiratory disorder that affects 4%-9% of adult males. Its most common manifestation is loud snoring and it may occur several hundred times throughout the night, resulting in sleep fragmentation and excessive daytime sleepiness. The current study, reported in the July issue of The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, found that nearly half the subjects who suffered from severe sleep apnea also secreted abnormally low levels of testosterone throughout the night.

HAIFA, ISRAEL and NEW YORK, NY, July 25, 2002-Male patients who suffer from obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) -- the inability to breathe properly during sleep -- produce lower levels of testosterone, resulting in decreased libido and sexual activity, according to researchers at the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology. Previous studies had indicated that male sleep apnea patients had reported decreased libidos but the studies were unable to establish a scientific link. The current study, reported in the July issue of The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, found that nearly half the subjects who suffered from severe sleep apnea also secreted abnormally low levels of testosterone throughout the night.

"For years we have seen sleep-disorder patients complain of decreased libido but we had no explanation for this phenomenon until now," said Professor Peretz Lavie, head of the Technion Sleep Laboratory and study leader.

Sleep apnea is a respiratory disorder that affects 4%-9% of adult males. Its most common manifestation is loud snoring and it may occur several hundred times throughout the night, resulting in sleep fragmentation and excessive daytime sleepiness. For many years sleep apnea sufferers have complained of decreased libidos, yet previous studies reported that patients' testosterone levels, although low, were within the normal adult male range.

The current study adopted a different methodology. Earlier studies had only measured participants' testosterone levels once after awakening. In this study, subjects were admitted to the Technion Sleep Center for an entire night and were fitted with electrodes and catheters. They were monitored between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. with blood samples collected every 20 minutes. At 10 p.m., lights were turned off and the participants retired to sleep. Two groups -- one of sleep apnea patients and another of normal controls of similar body weight and age -- were investigated.

The study found that nearly half the sleep apnea patients secreted abnormally low testosterone levels throughout the night.

"Should follow-up studies confirm these findings, then therapeutic intervention of sleep apnea could become a recommended remedy for certain forms of male sexual dysfunction," said Prof. Rephael Lubo****zky, an endocrinologist on the research team. "It is our hope that in the future, by correcting nighttime breathing patterns we will be able to stimulate hormone production and thereby raise libidos."

The Technion-Israel Institute of Technology is Israel's leading scientific and technological center for applied research and education. It commands a worldwide reputation for its pioneering work in computer science, biotechnology, water-resource management, materials engineering, aerospace and medicine. The majority of the founders and managers of Israel's high-tech companies are alumni.

Based in New York City, the American Technion Society is the leading American organization supporting higher education in Israel with more than 20,000 supporters and 17 offices around the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    keep in mind - Low T causes sleep issues on it's own.
    Your low T could have been causing you your sleep disorder, but have it checked out by a sleep clinic to be sure.
  10. Registered User

I would also like an answer to this question.

At a glance, dropping the T, upping the HCG and adding in some very short-term clomid or nolva seems like teh way to go?
  11. Registered User

Ok man. I am officially outta here. This board is dead.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  XXX lbs.

LOL... not dead, it just seems that you are not getting the answers you want from us, I still recommend you talk to your doc about how to come off...

MB
    *I am not a medical expert, my opinions are not professional, and I strongly suggest doing research of your own.*
  13. Registered User

I think you are mistaking Bungloid48 with me (the OP). I don't expect answers on such a board after a couple of hours. I've spoken to my Dr. and he seems to think that nothing is necessary to come off of TRT, i.e. the body will adjust naturally. It just seems to me that a kick start to the HPTA through Clomid and/or Nolva would be warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBeast View Post
    LOL... not dead, it just seems that you are not getting the answers you want from us, I still recommend you talk to your doc about how to come off...

MB
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  XXX lbs.

a kick start is always good, i'm not sure why he'd be against it...

MB
  15. Registered User

I thought so, as well. I threw out Clomid and Nolva, but he didn't think it was necessary.

Right now, I am thinking about doing something like this:

Clomid/Nolva -

week 1- 500iu of HCG, 3 times a week, 50mg clomid every day, 40 mg nolva every day.
    Week 2 - 50mg clomid every day, 20 mg nolva every day.
    Week 3 - 25mg clomid every day, 20 mg nolva every day.
    Week 4- 20 mg nolva every day
    Week 5 - 10 mg nolva every day
    Week 6 - 5 mg nolva every day

Ideas? I've been on HCG as part of my program, so I don't need to pump up the boys.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  XXX lbs.

Maybe some of the herbals that are supposed to help kickstart it as well? I think that looks pretty solid to me.

MB
  •