Where to get labs w/o a doctor?

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Are there any labs that don't require a doctor's order, preferably home urine test (in the USA)? I know there are saliva and blood spot, but they don't seem very reliable. Is this a government control thing? I think it's silly that you can't monitor your own health without paying a doctor visit fee... usually two fees, one to order and another to get the results. Its not like I can write my own prescriptions anyway. Sorry for the rant :)

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Are there any labs that don't require a doctor's order, preferably home urine test (in the USA)? I know there are saliva and blood spot, but they don't seem very reliable. Is this a government control thing? I think it's silly that you can't monitor your own health without paying a doctor visit fee... usually two fees, one to order and another to get the results. Its not like I can write my own prescriptions anyway. Sorry for the rant :)
Life Extension Blood Testing Center

Talk to KSman, he is familiar with ordering at LEF.
Soon they my have their usual sale.
At that time KSman loads up on tests for the whole year.

Do not waste money on blood spots or saliva.
Saliva use only for cortisol.
Even then saliva test is doubtfull.
Some people do testing 3 days in the row and average results.

Probably better would be to use trial with Cortef or Isocort and see your reaction to it.

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established

Urine tests? Are you talking about a 24 hour UA like Rhein or Genova does? I don't think there is anybody that does that without a doctor's order.

You can get a routine UA through Direct Labs or LEF without an order.

Note that there is technically no such thing as getting labs done without a doctor's order. Even at LEF and Direct Labs, a doctor orders the labs - they just order whatever ones that you ask them to order for you.

In most states, it is against the law for a lab to do tests that a doctor has not ordered.

Some states permit limited patient-ordered testing for routine screening tests like lipid panels, PAP smears, etc.

AnotherOldGuy

Awards
When i was monitoring myiron level, I got the labs irdered thru HealthCheckUSA for the same reason. the basic iron test cost me 12-14$ no insurance, better than paying the office visit copay and lab copay.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Estradiol Blood Testing helps check the amount of Estradiol in a woman's blood. Estradiol is the most commonly measured type of estrogen for nonpregnant women. The amount of estradiol in a woma…
Does this mean the test is different, or just the ref range is for female? Quest is the only lab with ultrasensitive assay?