Low libido, DHEA, Wellbutrin?

hippii

Awards
Hello,

I've been searching for solution to improve my condition: I've been suffering from low libido and low genital sensivity.

my lab results from last autumn:

Total testosterone 22 nmol/l (range 10-38) (=630 ng/dl)
Free testosterone 238 pmol/l (range 150-500) (=6,9 pg/ml?)
Estradiol 90 pmol/l (range <160) (=24,5 pg/ml)
LH 10 IU/I (2,5-7)
FSH 18 IU/I
Prolactin 289 mU/I (70-300)
TSH 1,6 mU/I (0,3-4,5)

DHEA has not been measured.

Leydig cells are still producing testosterone, although free testosterone is low-normal. So according to the tests, I should be okay, but I'm not. The last good period when I felt sexually well was on the Christmas holiday.

I'm seeing a doctor next week, so I would be grateful to hear your advices before that.

I guess the high prolactin is caused by high LH.. because if I had a prolactinoma, the LH should be then low, right? And what about this adrenal fatigue issue.. could that be a reason for my symptoms? When a person has adrenal fatigue, does he have low or high LH?

Nevertheless, I'm wondering that could DHEA help me total/free testosterone levels? DHEA is intermediate hormone, a raw material for testosterone production.. could increase of DHEA help Leydig cells to produce more easily T and increase sexual desire?

Other approach would be to increase dopamine levels, which increases sexual desire. Would Wellbutrin (bupropion) be a solution for me?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Hello,

I've been searching for solution to improve my condition: I've been suffering from low libido and low genital sensivity.

LH 10 IU/I (2,5-7)
FSH 18 IU/I
TSH 1,6 mU/I (0,3-4,5)

Leydig cells are still producing testosterone, although free testosterone is low-normal. So according to the tests, I should be okay, but I'm not. The last good period when I felt sexually well was on the Christmas holiday.

I'm seeing a doctor next week, so I would be grateful to hear your advices before that.

I guess the high prolactin is caused by high LH.. because if I had a prolactinoma, the LH should be then low, right? And what about this adrenal fatigue issue.. could that be a reason for my symptoms? When a person has adrenal fatigue, does he have low or high LH?

Nevertheless, I'm wondering that could DHEA help me total/free testosterone levels? DHEA is intermediate hormone, a raw material for testosterone production.. could increase of DHEA help Leydig cells to produce more easily T and increase sexual desire?

Other approach would be to increase dopamine levels, which increases sexual desire. Would Wellbutrin (bupropion) be a solution for me?
You should get more testing, but from what you have posted,
LH 10 IU/I (2,5-7)
FSH 18 IU/I
your testis are getting plenty of signal, they made all testoterone that they can.
(=630 ng/dl)
is not bad (as natural), but it is not good either.
your E2 may be low, assuming that you had "ultrasensitive" test.
E2 have a strong relationship to libido.
Usually we have a big doubts about freeT tests, but they should be close to the top.
Prolactin is within range
-----------------------------------------
Missing at least SHBG

off hand, your situation may be improved if you add testosterone shots.
FreeT would go up
E2 would go up
From day #1 of using T injections, you would have to support your current testicles production by using
380iu hcg EOD, every other day

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
Hello,

LH 10 IU/I (2,5-7)
FSH 18 IU/I
TSH 1,6 mU/I (0,3-4,5)

Most of your bloodwork looks pretty good. It could be in your head? Might want to ask your doc about Wellbutrin. I have had a low libido for a while now and I am on TRT. Since I started taking wellbutrin about two weeks ago I have had a really good sex drive and sensitivity is increased.

hippii

Awards
You should get more testing, but from what you have posted,
LH 10 IU/I (2,5-7)
FSH 18 IU/I
your testis are getting plenty of signal, they made all testoterone that they can.
(=630 ng/dl)
is not bad (as natural), but it is not good either.
your E2 may be low, assuming that you had "ultrasensitive" test.
E2 have a strong relationship to libido.
Usually we have a big doubts about freeT tests, but they should be close to the top.
Prolactin is within range
-----------------------------------------
Missing at least SHBG

off hand, your situation may be improved if you add testosterone shots.
FreeT would go up
E2 would go up
From day #1 of using T injections, you would have to support your current testicles production by using
380iu hcg EOD, every other day
Thanks Hyde12 and JanSz for answers :)

This could be "in my head", as a doctor in last autumn doubted. But anyway I try to get some Wellbutrin.

JanSz, what did you mean that my E2 would be low? Too low for libido? I'm quite sure that my E2 test was not a "ultrasensitive" test. Well, because my freeT is low-normal, I guess it means that there is not too much to convert T to E2?

So I should not be an "adrenal fatigue" case, since my LH is high, right? Does someone have a opinion for DHEA levels (which have not been measured yet).. could they be a cause for high LH / low-normal freeT?

What vitamins/supplements would be most helpful for supporting androgen production and keeping estrogen levels in check?

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established

This could be "in my head", as a doctor in last autumn doubted. But anyway I try to get some Wellbutrin.

JanSz, what did you mean that my E2 would be low? Too low for libido? I'm quite sure that my E2 test was not a "ultrasensitive" test. Well, because my freeT is low-normal, I guess it means that there is not too much to convert T to E2?

So I should not be an "adrenal fatigue" case, since my LH is high, right? Does someone have a opinion for DHEA levels (which have not been measured yet).. could they be a cause for high LH / low-normal freeT?

What vitamins/supplements would be most helpful for supporting androgen production and keeping estrogen levels in check?
6-OXO extreme might be worth a shot

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

Instead of lot of guessing, get good tests.
If you can test at Quest I will post names of good tests.
Anyhow, E2 must be "ultrasensitive"

If you want, there are tests available that will tell you exactly what supplements, vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, other, what to take.
Look here to see this type of tests that I do:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/77385-jansz-metabolic-analysis.html

Otherwise it is a lots of hand waving and guessing.

theface

theface

Awards
  • Established
I'd love to try DHEA for libido, but I am convinced it causes my hair to fall out.

jrvswim

Awards
Hyde,

I'm about to start wellbutrin for libido as well. My doctor only prescribed 75mg once a day, should I ask for a higher dosage? What dosage did you take?

Thanks

Madlib

Awards
I am asking my doctor for Wellbutrin XL tomorrow, I will let you guys know how I respond.

jrvswim

Awards
oh ps i heard generic wellbutrin is not as good as brand name any thoughts?

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm somewhat lost on why he would give you Wellbutrin XL unless you were shown to have other issues besides just a lack of a sex drive.there are quite a few other supplements you could use and get the same effect.I'm guessing there were more issues besides just the normal lack of sex drive?