MRI found a micro adenoma on pituitary

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Endo says it's about 3mm, not sure if it's causing low test, but probable she said. My LH + FSH are fine though, but I guess it could be causing issues some other way? How would they know if it's secreting or not?

She told me they can't treat micro adenomas because of the size...and she wants to treat with androgel. I told her about HCG and she told me I won't get shutdown on androgel?? wtf are they teaching endo's about hormones when they are in school? So odd...I told her the gel will make me feel good and then I will feel worse when my natural test drops. She said there's no documentation on that and that the gels will fill in the extra test that I need on top of my baseline (pure BS). I also told her about test cyp. She told me that's the old school method and won't do it. I told her I don't want my DHT rising from the gels, she said it would rise with any method (again, pure BS.. she's a young endo so I give her that...maybe lack of experience).

Anyhow. I'm left confused on if I am primary or secordary, since my LH is around 5.6 and my FSH is around 7.1
Looks to me like the adenoma isn't effecting my test...but I don't know.

Guess I'm looking for another Dr. again...(my GP said he would consult with Dr. John) but I'm still confused with this diagnosis.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
LOL its funny when you have to explain to the doc. My doc was trying to push HCG instead of clomid, and was saying that clomid is just as suppressive to LH?? WTF. Also she didn't know about test gels raising DHT, and doesn't even check DHT normally.

They suspect I may have a pit tumor also, because my LH/FSH are around 2.0 and T 300-400. I started clomid, but need to get an MRI. At least yours is small, and seems to not be a factor in your low T. My doc said pit tumors usually secrete prolactin or corticotropins (cortisol). Sounds like you are primary, and T shots are in your future... my completely non-professional opinion :)

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
my most recent bloodwork

I will scan them in when I can, don't have a scanner or camera here.
Here's the most important things that have been tested:

Test / amount / range

Lipid Profile:

Cholesterol 107 (<200) LOW mg/dL
HDL Cholesterol 31 (>39) LOW mg/dL

Triglycerides 35 (<200) mg/dL
LDL 69 (<130) LOW mg/dL
CHOL/HDL Ratio 3.5 (0.0 - 4.9)

Lipids don't make ANY sense. I've purposely been eating MUCH more cholesterol and now my cholesterols has DROPPED since my last test. Total Chol was at 130 last time, which was still low.

Total Beta HCG, (quant) <2.4 (0.0-5.0) mIU/mL

Free T4 (non-dialysis) 0.9 (0.8-2.2) ng/dL
TSH 3rd generation 1.74 (0.5-4.0) mIU/L

How is my thyroid looking? Endo seems to think it's fine. Free t4 looks on the low end though?

LH 5.6 (1.2-11) mIU/mL
FSH 7.1 (1.6-9.7) mIU/mL

Estradiol 30 (<66) BS range imo. pg/mL

Prolactin 11.3 (5.0-18) ng/mL

Total Testosterone, Male 372 (400-1080) LOW ng/dL

SHBG 12 (11-80) nmol/L

Bioavailable Testosterone 280 (131-682) ng/mL

Free Testosterone 105 (47-244) pg/mL

% Free Testosterone 2.8 (1.6-2.9)
I'm guessing this is good, and what's saving me from feeling like complete crap.

DHEA Sulfate 281 (120-520) ug/dL

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
LOL its funny when you have to explain to the doc. My doc was trying to push HCG instead of clomid, and was saying that clomid is just as suppressive to LH?? WTF. Also she didn't know about test gels raising DHT, and doesn't even check DHT normally.

They suspect I may have a pit tumor also, because my LH/FSH are around 2.0 and T 300-400. I started clomid, but need to get an MRI. At least yours is small, and seems to not be a factor in your low T. My doc said pit tumors usually secrete prolactin or corticotropins (cortisol). Sounds like you are primary, and T shots are in your future... my completely non-professional opinion :)

T shots, asked the endo about that and she refused. She told me it's old school and doesn't work as well as gel since it's taken every two weeks (rollercoaster effect). I said I would take it eod, she said that's extreme, I said I would use an insulin syringe, she said it wouldn't hit the muscle, I said RIGHT - I will shoot it SUB-Q. She said there's no documentation on that working and that it's very 'experimental' and outside the general practive of endocrinology...blah blah blah. BS. Time to switch docs. She didnt' even mention any followups to my MRI findings. No talks to neuro surgeon for opinion and no eye checkups, etc. I need a DR that will at least listen to me and read reports/feedback and white papers I may have.

I'm just really confused. My endo thinks I am secondary. I used to think I was primary. My LH + FSH seem fine. Someone else said that if I were primary, my LH + FSH would be MUCH higher. I just don't know.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If I have my own hcg, should I just take the gel until I get a new doc and get on T shots?

Right now I'm taking hcg + dermacrine + aromasin...but I don't want to self-prescribe TRT (which is what I'm doing now, since the last bloodwork)

MarkLA

Awards
T shots, asked the endo about that and she refused. She told me it's old school and doesn't work as well as gel since it's taken every two weeks (rollercoaster effect). I said I would take it eod, she said that's extreme, I said I would use an insulin syringe, she said it wouldn't hit the muscle, I said RIGHT - I will shoot it SUB-Q. She said there's no documentation on that working and that it's very 'experimental' and outside the general practive of endocrinology...blah blah blah. BS. Time to switch docs. She didnt' even mention any followups to my MRI findings. No talks to neuro surgeon for opinion and no eye checkups, etc. I need a DR that will at least listen to me and read reports/feedback and white papers I may have.

I'm just really confused. My endo thinks I am secondary. I used to think I was primary. My LH + FSH seem fine. Someone else said that if I were primary, my LH + FSH would be MUCH higher. I just don't know.
A few comments:

1. I'd approach the doc slowly about cutting edge protocols. You're more likely to get something incrementally.

Also shot every two weeks is far from cutting edge. You may need another doc. I am doing shots weekly and my doc only approved a change to 2x week because of my results on 1x week. That and she was receptive to ideas/research to begin with.

SubQ is interesting but some people say it causes more E2 conversion. It's also possible to do IM with a small needle - just needs to be in a muscle that's close to the skin.

2. Your T is not that low. I was 165 before starting. You *MAY* be close enough to normal to increase it without TRT. The cholesterol needs to go up as you know. You might try a digestive enzyme with ox bile. I took this, with increased coconut oil, eggs and steak and my cholesterol went from 130 to 218 in a little over a month. Everyone's individual results may vary..

3. I think you're taking chances by self-medicating, better to get to a new doc.

Mark

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Might ask the doc about pregnenolone cream if you can't get your cholesterol up. It's one down the chain from cholesterol.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thanks, yeah I'm definately looking for a new doc. Sent an email to Dr. John yesterday.

Just started taking pregnenalone + dhea topically as well as an AI and I am noticing a difference even from that. I added in 380iu of hcg (eod) a few days ago as well...was only to be temporary till I get another dr.

I don't understand how my cholesterol has dropped so dramatically after increasing the amount I take in. That and my free t4 seems to be on the low end for the amnt of TSH that's present. As Janz was saying on another board, there's likely some metabolic issues present. My body seems to be ripping through any cholesterol I eat apparently, not to mention my SHBG is pretty low atm. Weird though since my last test showed that my SHBG was almost double that it is now (was around 21 before). I'm going to try the ox-bile thing and go on the anabolic-diet for a couple months. Should raise my cholesterol a LOT..hopefully.