Thyroid Bloodwork!!!! - Please weigh in.....

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Guys I just got my latest thyroid bloodwork in and I am a bit perplexed. I would really love some knowledgable ffedback form you guys if at all possible.

I have been on 3 grains of Armour thyroid for almost 1 year now. Symptomatically I still do not feel great. Body temp is sometimes below normal, fatigue, slight depression (also on SSRI), trouble losing weight, aches and pains.

My current blood work is as follows:

TSH 0.250 Range 0.350 - 5.500 uIU/mL

Free T4 1.03 Range 0.61 - 1.76 ng/dL

Free T3 2.9 Range 2.3 - 4.2 pg/mL

With those type of results (low TSH but low to mid range free T's) I assume my problem could still be thyroid related? If so why are the blood levels still so low on 3 grains per day?

Mr.50

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Guys I just got my latest thyroid bloodwork in and I am a bit perplexed. I would really love some knowledgable ffedback form you guys if at all possible.

I have been on 3 grains of Armour thyroid for almost 1 year now. Symptomatically I still do not feel great. Body temp is sometimes below normal, fatigue, slight depression (also on SSRI), trouble losing weight, aches and pains.

With those type of results (low TSH but low to mid range free T's) I assume my problem could still be thyroid related? If so why are the blood levels still so low on 3 grains per day?

Mr.50
Where are you getting your Armour Thyroid.
Consider changing supplier.

Other testing would help.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Where are you getting your Armour Thyroid.
Consider changing supplier.

Other testing would help.

The Armour is from Forrest Pharma through Life Extension. What other testing would you suggest trying to keep in mind the economy of paying for bloodwork out of pocket?

Mr.50

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
The Armour is from Forrest Pharma through Life Extension. What other testing would you suggest trying to keep in mind the economy of paying for bloodwork out of pocket?

Mr.50
Forrest Pharma in square jars, looks like the real thing.
Wonder why such a low response to this rather large dose.

If you check TPO, that should give you a measure of iodine and selenium status, among other ifo.

Check also
iodine
and
Selenium

Quest Diagnostics: Test Menu

Look at post #44
Pick from that shoping list.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/66268-jans-bloodtest-april13-2.html

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
any thyroid scan done?

possibly pituitary related.

is your dr. ?graves disease

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Forrest Pharma in square jars, looks like the real thing.
Wonder why such a low response to this rather large dose.

If you check TPO, that should give you a measure of iodine and selenium status, among other ifo.

Check also
iodine
and
Selenium

Quest Diagnostics: Test Menu

Look at post #44
Pick from that shoping list.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/66268-jans-bloodtest-april13-2.html

JanSz,

So is TPO something i should look into or is this just to obtain Selenium and iodine status?

Can you explain how these two perameters might effect thyroid hormone levels and result in this sort of specific problems? Do either selenium or iodine play in a role in absorbtion of Thyroid medication?

Mr.50

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
JanSz that is a mighty impressive list of tests but what possible specific tests might impact Thyroid? I would get them all but I am sure I can not afford them all. :(

Mr.50

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
JanSz that is a mighty impressive list of tests but what possible specific tests might impact Thyroid? I would get them all but I am sure I can not afford them all. :(

Mr.50
You may want to consider

Comprehensive Thyroid Assesment
test from Genova Diagnostics.
Also iodine and selenium at Quest.

Or increase another grain of Armour.

Your response to Armour is slow, I would expect higher FreeT3
then the one you have now in response to 3 grains of Armour.

Possibly you have a high RT3.

GDX Comprehensive Thyroid Assessment Frequently Asked Questions

GDX Comprehensive Thyroid Assessment Sample Reports
http://www.gdx.net/images/reportpdf/compthyroid.pdf

The test report, with its extensive commentary about the test markers and possible treatments, will help you and your practitioner decide what course to take for improving your thyroid health.
====================================================================
Often people are iodine deficient.
Get Lugol's solution
Paint, thick, a 2" circle on your hairless skin using Lugol's solution.
If it is absorbed within 24hr and you cannot see it, you are deficient.
Drink about 10 drops a day, put it in your coffe or tea.

First two weeks you could probably use 20 drops.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Lugols-Iodine-2-Fluid-Oz/dp/B000I20HJY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1202171096&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Lugol's Iodine(2 Fluid Oz.): Health & Personal Care[/ame]

Read up on adrenals, and adrenal support while using Armour.
At least you should have full vial of Cortef pills near by.

======================================================
Try also:
Realthyroidhelp.com

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You may want to consider

Comprehensive Thyroid Assesment
test from Genova Diagnostics.
Also iodine and selenium at Quest.

Or increase another grain of Armour.

Your response to Armour is slow, I would expect higher FreeT3
then the one you have now in response to 3 grains of Armour.

Possibly you have a high RT3.

GDX Comprehensive Thyroid Assessment Frequently Asked Questions

GDX Comprehensive Thyroid Assessment Sample Reports
http://www.gdx.net/images/reportpdf/compthyroid.pdf

The test report, with its extensive commentary about the test markers and possible treatments, will help you and your practitioner decide what course to take for improving your thyroid health.
====================================================================
Often people are iodine deficient.
Get Lugol's solution
Paint, thick, a 2" circle on your hairless skin using Lugol's solution.
If it is absorbed within 24hr and you cannot see it, you are deficient.
Drink about 10 drops a day, put it in your coffe or tea.

First two weeks you could probably use 20 drops.
Amazon.com: Lugol's Iodine(2 Fluid Oz.): Health & Personal Care

Read up on adrenals, and adrenal support while using Armour.
At least you should have full vial of Cortef pills near by.

======================================================
Try also:
Realthyroidhelp.com

JanSz is there a way to order tests from Genova without being a physician. If not I am wondering if you might be able to tell me what tests are contained in the CTA so that I can order them from Direct Labs myself.

Also can you think of any causes which lead to more rT3 being produced? Is this the lack of Selenium we are discussing?

Mr.50

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
JanSz is there a way to order tests from Genova without being a physician. If not I am wondering if you might be able to tell me what tests are contained in the CTA so that I can order them from Direct Labs myself.

Also can you think of any causes which lead to more rT3 being produced? Is this the lack of Selenium we are discussing?

Mr.50
What is CTA?
=============================
I do not think one have to be a physician to order the Genova tests.
Nutritionist, chiropractors probably others could do.

To find someone who deal with Genova, the best way would be to call them, give them your zip and ask for a list of health providers that deal with them, start with in 50 mile radius.

GDX.net

I have a phone 888-201-8333

it is actually phone for billing inquires, I got with my bill.
The guy I talked with, after I finished paying with my credit card, he switched me to another person who e-mailed me a # of names in my area.
==========================================
If one is residing in UK, no need for a script, just good credit card little blood and urine.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What is CTA?
=============================
I do not think one have to be a physician to order the Genova tests.
Nutritionist, chiropractors probably others could do.

To find someone who deal with Genova, the best way would be to call them, give them your zip and ask for a list of health providers that deal with them, start with in 50 mile radius.

GDX.net

I have a phone 888-201-8333

it is actually phone for billing inquires, I got with my bill.
The guy I talked with, after I finished paying with my credit card, he switched me to another person who e-mailed me a # of names in my area.
==========================================
If one is residing in UK, no need for a script, just good credit card little blood and urine.
Oh sorry? By CTA I ment Comprehensive Thyroid Assessment!

Mr.50

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Oh sorry? By CTA I ment Comprehensive Thyroid Assessment!

Mr.50
GDX Comprehensive Thyroid Assessment
Analytes:

- Hypersensitive thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)
- free thyroxine (fT4)
- free triiodothyronine (fT3)
- reverse T3 (rT3)
- anti-thyroglobulin antibodies (anti-TG)
- anti-thyroid peroxidase antibodies (anti-TPO)
- fT4/fT3
- fT3/rT3

Usually it is good idea to do this and other tests at Genova Diagnostics.

You will get not only results for particular analytes
but
also explanation of what they mean and suggestions for corrective actions.

I find those pointers and comments more valuable than the numbers them selves.

If you go to Quest, Labcorp or some other laboratory,
interpretation of results is left to the reader,
and you know how good doctors are at interpreting test results.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
GDX Comprehensive Thyroid Assessment
Analytes:

- Hypersensitive thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)
- free thyroxine (fT4)
- free triiodothyronine (fT3)
- reverse T3 (rT3)
- anti-thyroglobulin antibodies (anti-TG)
- anti-thyroid peroxidase antibodies (anti-TPO)
- fT4/fT3
- fT3/rT3

Usually it is good idea to do this and other tests at Genova Diagnostics.

You will get not only results for particular analytes
but
also explanation of what they mean and suggestions for corrective actions.

I find those pointers and comments more valuable than the numbers them selves.

If you go to Quest, Labcorp or some other laboratory,
interpretation of results is left to the reader,
and you know how good doctors are at interpreting test results.

JanSz thanks so much for the info. I am going ot call them this week and see if I can get a list of practitioners in the area they are associated with. Why can't all doctor's actually be looking to help their patients and have an open mind?

Mr.50

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
JanSz thanks so much for the info. I am going ot call them this week and see if I can get a list of practitioners in the area they are associated with. Why can't all doctor's actually be looking to help their patients and have an open mind?

Mr.50
If you have a friendly chiropractor or nutritionist,
openning account with them takes few minutes.
They also handle some insurance companies paperwork and give initial instructions to doctors,
so it should be easy to work with them.

Open this link, you should be at:

Welcome to myGDX Account Setup!

https://www.gdx.net/mygsdl/account_type_self_select_step1.jsp

Then go to:

I am a Health Care Practitioner who is licensed or authorized to order laboratory testing in the state in which I do business

superone

Awards
  • Established
Mr.50,

All you have to do is go to the link, ( i got appoved without getting e-mail confirmation ).

Go to the link, sign in if you are not signed in, look at the top left side of the screen and you will see the option " Post" in this rectangular type box.

Click that, and make your post!

Just say something like " Attention Val, thyroid results help ", ect, or something like that in your title, and type in your questions.

Good luck!

coz

Awards

Mr.50
You may just require more Armour. I've just upped mine to 6grains about a week back. My Free numbers actually kept getting lower until about 5grains - then TSH finally was supressed & Free's are now increasing.

epu

Awards
I'm curious Mr. 50, did you get your selenium, and/or iodine levels checked? Your problem may be simply low serum iodine. Can you give us a progress report?

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm curious Mr. 50, did you get your selenium, and/or iodine levels checked? Your problem may be simply low serum iodine. Can you give us a progress report?

I did not get either check on this past blood work but plan to in the future. Through what mechanism of action do abnormal results for Selenium or Iodine affect free T3 and Free T4 levels?

Currently I have been monitoring temperatures (both basal and throughout the day) and have found my basel temp to be consistantly low and my daily average temps to be around 98.1 -98.2.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I did not get either check on this past blood work but plan to in the future. Through what mechanism of action do abnormal results for Selenium or Iodine affect free T3 and Free T4 levels?

Currently I have been monitoring temperatures (both basal and throughout the day) and have found my basel temp to be consistantly low and my daily average temps to be around 98.1 -98.2.
36.80 98.24
36.75 98.15
36.70 98.06
36.65 97.97
36.60 97.88

I would say that your temperature is very good.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
36.80 98.24
36.75 98.15
36.70 98.06
36.65 97.97
36.60 97.88

I would say that your temperature is very good.

Seems like it is compared to some JanSz but the basal temp is still a steady 97.4 and I heard that is more indicative of actual thyroid levels whereas the lack of variability in daily average is more related to adrenal health. So basicall it looks like my adrenals might be doing ok but I still need more thyroid.

Plus the tell all sign, I still am symptomatic! :(

JanSz do you know what effect low Selenium or Iodine can have on thyroid blood values?

Mr.50

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Seems like it is compared to some JanSz but the basal temp is still a steady 97.4 and I heard that is more indicative of actual thyroid levels whereas the lack of variability in daily average is more related to adrenal health. So basicall it looks like my adrenals might be doing ok but I still need more thyroid.

Plus the tell all sign, I still am symptomatic! :(

JanSz do you know what effect low Selenium or Iodine can have on thyroid blood values?

Mr.50
----------------------------
GDX Elemental Analysis Application Guide

Low hair selenium may be a useful marker to explore in the relationship between nutrients and thyroid function. Low hair selenium levels may reflect a clinical worsening of the iodine deficiency state.65
------------------------
elements:
http://www.gdx.net/home/images/reportpdf/ToxElemNutrtChart.pdf
-----------------------
www.gdx.net/home/education/presentations/risk/riskeight.pdf
Factors Increasing the
Conversion of T4 to T3

Micro-nutrients:
selenium, potassium, iodine, iron

Vitamins:
A, B2, E

Hormones