Flonase affect the HPTA? - AnabolicMinds.com

Flonase affect the HPTA?

1. New Member

Flonase affect the HPTA?

Apologies if this is not the appropriate forum...

I was prescribed flonase yesterday for really bad allergies. I was reading up on it and noticed that it's a corticosteroid. Being that I'm in the process of trying to restart my HPTA, I didn't want this to have any serious effect on that. According to my doctor, flonase should not affect the pituitary axis, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any knowledge on it.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

I take it. Corticosteroids will not shut down or supress your HPTA. In fact, I would think that maybe hydra cortisone may actually stimulate it, but thats just an assumption on my part.

Not the same kind of steroid as anabolic/androgenic.
  3. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedwolfWV View Post
    I take it. Corticosteroids will not shut down or supress your HPTA. In fact, I would think that maybe hydra cortisone may actually stimulate it, but thats just an assumption on my part.

Not the same kind of steroid as anabolic/androgenic.
    I understand that it's not an anabolic steroid. A corticosteroid can have some effect on your adrenal function which could indirectly effect your testosterone - at least a drug like prednisone can. I didn't know if an inhalant would do the same.
    •   

4. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rausch View Post
    Apologies if this is not the appropriate forum...

I was prescribed flonase yesterday for really bad allergies. I was reading up on it and noticed that it's a corticosteroid. Being that I'm in the process of trying to restart my HPTA, I didn't want this to have any serious effect on that. According to my doctor, flonase should not affect the pituitary axis, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any knowledge on it.

I think your doc is (partly) correct - the Flonase will not effect the pituitary axis.

However, regular use of a corticosteroid, even inhaled, will suppress your adrenals. There is an interrelationship between adrenals and testicular function. So, if your adrenals are suppressed, it will indirectly effect testicular function.

I use inhaled steroids for allergies and asthma. Sometimes my symptoms are mild enough so that I forget to get the 'script refilled. If I go for a couple of weeks without the steroid, I get very fatigued - the kind of fatique where I get up from a full night's sleep not feeling rested, and the rest of the day is downhill from there. As soon as I get the 'script refilled for the inhaler, I perk up within a day or two. That's a fair amount of adrenal suppression.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Does DHEA supplementation have any impact on the HPTA?
    By BigAk in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 137
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 07:11 AM
  2. Coffee (caffeine) affects the boys?
    By Markio in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-13-2006, 06:59 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 01:42 AM
  4. Superdrol effect on the HPTA?
    By Jeffrey Lebowsk in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2