Flonase affect the HPTA?

Rausch

Awards
Apologies if this is not the appropriate forum...

I was prescribed flonase yesterday for really bad allergies. I was reading up on it and noticed that it's a corticosteroid. Being that I'm in the process of trying to restart my HPTA, I didn't want this to have any serious effect on that. According to my doctor, flonase should not affect the pituitary axis, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any knowledge on it.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I take it. Corticosteroids will not shut down or supress your HPTA. In fact, I would think that maybe hydra cortisone may actually stimulate it, but thats just an assumption on my part.

Not the same kind of steroid as anabolic/androgenic.

Rausch

Awards
I take it. Corticosteroids will not shut down or supress your HPTA. In fact, I would think that maybe hydra cortisone may actually stimulate it, but thats just an assumption on my part.

Not the same kind of steroid as anabolic/androgenic.
I understand that it's not an anabolic steroid. A corticosteroid can have some effect on your adrenal function which could indirectly effect your testosterone - at least a drug like prednisone can. I didn't know if an inhalant would do the same.

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established
Apologies if this is not the appropriate forum...

I was prescribed flonase yesterday for really bad allergies. I was reading up on it and noticed that it's a corticosteroid. Being that I'm in the process of trying to restart my HPTA, I didn't want this to have any serious effect on that. According to my doctor, flonase should not affect the pituitary axis, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any knowledge on it.

I think your doc is (partly) correct - the Flonase will not effect the pituitary axis.

However, regular use of a corticosteroid, even inhaled, will suppress your adrenals. There is an interrelationship between adrenals and testicular function. So, if your adrenals are suppressed, it will indirectly effect testicular function.

I use inhaled steroids for allergies and asthma. Sometimes my symptoms are mild enough so that I forget to get the 'script refilled. If I go for a couple of weeks without the steroid, I get very fatigued - the kind of fatique where I get up from a full night's sleep not feeling rested, and the rest of the day is downhill from there. As soon as I get the 'script refilled for the inhaler, I perk up within a day or two. That's a fair amount of adrenal suppression.