High AST ALT Values - AnabolicMinds.com

High AST ALT Values

  1. New Member
    fathom777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    114

    Reputation

    High AST ALT Values


    I just got my blood work back and they are pretty normal. What concerns me is my AST and ALT values. They were as follows:

    AST - 66
    ALT - 106

    These numbers are about double the normal range. I have been on a cleanse for the past few months. Could these high values be due to extra toxins circulating my system from the cleanse?

    My values in March of 07 were:

    AST - 31
    ALT - 32

    I do not drink or do drugs. I drink about a gallon of water per day and take milk thisle daily. I just added LIV 52 to my supplements yesterday.

    Oh... and I am 34 years old.

    What do you think?

  2. Banned
    gotripped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,074
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    taking any type of pain relievers within 72 hrs can skew results.
  3. New Member
    cpeil2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    302

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by fathom777 View Post
    I just got my blood work back and they are pretty normal. What concerns me is my AST and ALT values. They were as follows:

    AST - 66
    ALT - 106

    These numbers are about double the normal range. I have been on a cleanse for the past few months. Could these high values be due to extra toxins circulating my system from the cleanse?

    My values in March of 07 were:

    AST - 31
    ALT - 32

    I do not drink or do drugs. I drink about a gallon of water per day and take milk thisle daily. I just added LIV 52 to my supplements yesterday.

    Oh... and I am 34 years old.

    What do you think?

    This is a pretty mild elevation. As above, OTC painkillers can cause elevations in liver enzymes. My doc told me that a single dose of tylenol can cause an elevation in liver enzymes.

    Heavy exercise can cause a mild elevation like yours, especially in ALT.

    Did you have any other liver function tests done - Total protein, albumin, bilirubin, etc? What were those values?


    They should be repeated in a couple of months or so, but, at this point, if your other values are OK and you have no symptoms, you shouldn't lose any sleep over them.
    •   
       

  4. Diamond Member
    Trauma1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    15,425
    Rep Power
    57339

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by cpeil2 View Post
    This is a pretty mild elevation. As above, OTC painkillers can cause elevations in liver enzymes. My doc told me that a single dose of tylenol can cause an elevation in liver enzymes.

    Heavy exercise can cause a mild elevation like yours, especially in ALT.

    Did you have any other liver function tests done - Total protein, albumin, bilirubin, etc? What were those values?


    They should be repeated in a couple of months or so, but, at this point, if your other values are OK and you have no symptoms, you shouldn't lose any sleep over them.
    True these are mild elevations in Liver function and exercise can alter them to some degree, however ALT is more hepatic(Liver) specific than AST. I would be curious to see an ALK Phos and total bilirubin results for better corolation of diagnostic significance.

    A single dose of tylenol may slightly alter your LFT'S, however certainly not to any significant degree whatsoever. I agree i wouldn't be overly concerned at this point and would have them repeated in a month or so.

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

  5. New Member
    cpeil2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    302

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Trauma1 View Post
    however ALT is more hepatic(Liver) specific than AST.

    My error. Thanks for the correction.
  6. New Member
    wildfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    330
    Rep Power
    264

    Reputation

    Acetominophen and Aspirin are mainly metabolized in the liver. Ibuprofen is metabolized by the kidneys.

    It's good you don't drink, but how are your cholesterol related values, and body fat %? As other suggested, it would be helpful to see other liver and kidney function values.
  7. New Member
    fathom777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    114

    Reputation

    Thank you all for the replies. Here are some of the additional values:

    Protien, Serum 5.0
    Albumin 4.2
    Globulin 2.8
    A/G 1.5
    Bilirubin 0.7
    Alkilim Phos 94
    AST 66
    ALT 106
    Cholesterol 152
    Triglycerides 42
    HDL 56
    hVLDL 9
    LDL 80
    T. Chol/HDL 2.7
    TSH .9
    T4 5.4
    T3 34
    Free Thyroxine 1.0
    Testosterone 867
    Free Test 43.4
    Estradiol 9
    BUN 22
    Creatinine 1.4
    Ratio 26

    I am not sure if any other levels would be helpful. I was taking Nolvadex XT prior to the test. I wondered if this may have been the cause in my low Estradiol and high testosterone levels.

    Last year, because of my elevated Kidney values, my doctor recommended a kidney specialist. She ran a bunch of tests and said they were inconclusive. She thought I had diminished kidney function, but thought the levels were skewed because of my weightlifting and diet.

    I eat a really clean diet with all organic foods. I take supplements including fish oils and whatnot.

    I am 35, 5'7", 185 lbs, 11% Bodyfat.

    I have had low libido. I think it could be attributed to my low estradiol except that even when it is normal, it still seems low and erections are hit or miss. I feel like my body chemistry is off somewhere. I don't know if it has to do with the varicocele I have had since I was a teen. I have been thinking about hooking up with Dr. John. What do you guys think? Thanks!
  8. New Member
    cpeil2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    302

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by fathom777 View Post
    Thank you all for the replies. Here are some of the additional values:

    Protien, Serum 5.0
    Albumin 4.2
    Globulin 2.8
    A/G 1.5
    Bilirubin 0.7
    Alkilim Phos 94
    AST 66
    ALT 106
    Cholesterol 152
    Triglycerides 42
    HDL 56
    hVLDL 9
    LDL 80
    T. Chol/HDL 2.7
    TSH .9
    T4 5.4
    T3 34
    Free Thyroxine 1.0
    Testosterone 867
    Free Test 43.4
    Estradiol 9
    BUN 22
    Creatinine 1.4
    Ratio 26

    I am not sure if any other levels would be helpful. I was taking Nolvadex XT prior to the test. I wondered if this may have been the cause in my low Estradiol and high testosterone levels.

    Last year, because of my elevated Kidney values, my doctor recommended a kidney specialist. She ran a bunch of tests and said they were inconclusive. She thought I had diminished kidney function, but thought the levels were skewed because of my weightlifting and diet.

    I eat a really clean diet with all organic foods. I take supplements including fish oils and whatnot.

    I am 35, 5'7", 185 lbs, 11% Bodyfat.

    I have had low libido. I think it could be attributed to my low estradiol except that even when it is normal, it still seems low and erections are hit or miss. I feel like my body chemistry is off somewhere. I don't know if it has to do with the varicocele I have had since I was a teen. I have been thinking about hooking up with Dr. John. What do you guys think? Thanks!

    The picture hasn't changed. The BUN is a little high and creatinine is borderline normal. It could be diminished kidney function, but it could also be a result of the weight training and/or a high-protein diet.

    These results would be more useful if you posted the reference ranges.
  9. Diamond Member
    Trauma1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    15,425
    Rep Power
    57339

    Reputation

    Your mild renal insufficiency(elevated bun/creat) is probably more than likely due to hydration status as it usually is. If they have done the whole renal u/s and 24 hour urine studies already and they are found to be inconclusive i wouldn't be overly worried about it. Have you BUN/CREATININE repeated in a month or so and make sure you're very well hydrated prior to testing.

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

  10. New Member
    brandyflajole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    34

    Reputation

    I am 35 and i just had an ultrasound for the same reason my readings were alt-125 and ast-59
    the ultra sound revealed portal hypertension and an enlarged liver and enlarged spleen.
  11. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Rep Power
    7698

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by fathom777 View Post
    I just got my blood work back and they are pretty normal. What concerns me is my AST and ALT values. They were as follows:

    AST - 66
    ALT - 106

    These numbers are about double the normal range. I have been on a cleanse for the past few months. Could these high values be due to extra toxins circulating my system from the cleanse?

    My values in March of 07 were:

    AST - 31
    ALT - 32

    I do not drink or do drugs. I drink about a gallon of water per day and take milk thisle daily. I just added LIV 52 to my supplements yesterday.

    Oh... and I am 34 years old.

    What do you think?
    If you where doing fasting this could be the reason due to you are depleting your body of nutrients (proteins) which drive phase 1 and 2 of liver detoxifcation which handles toxins in the body. Cleansing needs to be done under proper supervisions to prevent these things from happening. I see it all the time. It could also mean thyroid and magnesium levels where off (thyroid drives magnesium metabolism) You could have just done a heavy weights day before to spike it. I see this is alot of athletes who train high intensity.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  12. New Member
    jonko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    87
    Rep Power
    85

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by brandyflajole View Post
    I am 35 and i just had an ultrasound for the same reason my readings were alt-125 and ast-59
    the ultra sound revealed portal hypertension and an enlarged liver and enlarged spleen.
    Wow! what does the doctor think? Portal Hypertension is usually caused by Cirrhosis

    but I read sew here that most people with portal hypertension have normal liver enzymes
  13. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Rep Power
    7698

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by fathom777 View Post
    Thank you all for the replies. Here are some of the additional values:

    Protien, Serum 5.0
    Albumin 4.2
    Globulin 2.8
    A/G 1.5
    Bilirubin 0.7
    Alkilim Phos 94
    AST 66
    ALT 106
    Cholesterol 152
    Triglycerides 42
    HDL 56
    hVLDL 9
    LDL 80
    T. Chol/HDL 2.7
    TSH .9
    T4 5.4
    T3 34
    Free Thyroxine 1.0
    Testosterone 867
    Free Test 43.4
    Estradiol 9
    BUN 22
    Creatinine 1.4
    Ratio 26

    I am not sure if any other levels would be helpful. I was taking Nolvadex XT prior to the test. I wondered if this may have been the cause in my low Estradiol and high testosterone levels.

    Last year, because of my elevated Kidney values, my doctor recommended a kidney specialist. She ran a bunch of tests and said they were inconclusive. She thought I had diminished kidney function, but thought the levels were skewed because of my weightlifting and diet.

    I eat a really clean diet with all organic foods. I take supplements including fish oils and whatnot.

    I am 35, 5'7", 185 lbs, 11% Bodyfat.

    I have had low libido. I think it could be attributed to my low estradiol except that even when it is normal, it still seems low and erections are hit or miss. I feel like my body chemistry is off somewhere. I don't know if it has to do with the varicocele I have had since I was a teen. I have been thinking about hooking up with Dr. John. What do you guys think? Thanks!
    E2 too low
    Thyroid looks on the low side a tad
    Cholesterol and TRiglycerides are low

    Dr john is a good hormone dr. A lot of Drs are taking a more deeper look then just hormones these day. Hormones are just expression of something deeper. At 35 you have option of HRT. I been down the HRT route only and it did not resolve any of my issues which where all linked to GI and liver imbalances which if would have got corrected in the first place i would have not need HRT, cortef, AI, HCG, thyroid. Which by the way I am off over 60% of drugs...
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. AST / ALT's
    By fredrick001 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 12:34 AM
  2. High Results on ALT and AST
    By catom58 in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-25-2009, 12:20 AM
  3. What can cause low ALT values?
    By pcn in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2006, 10:56 AM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-03-2005, 12:01 PM
  5. high kidney values
    By jas123 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 10:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in