Should I get a Varicocele Embolization? Opinions Appreciated!!!

  1. New Member
    markm455's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  270 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    90
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    98.33%

    Should I get a Varicocele Embolization? Opinions Appreciated!!!


    I'm scheduled to have a varicocele embolization this Friday 1/11 and would really appreicate your advice.

    I have had 2 varicocele operations. One when I was 13 the other when I was 20. And yes I still have the problem, although not as bad as before. I am now 29.

    I've noticed the pain has been slowly getting worse. Mainly when I workout and for a few hours after I work out.

    Part of me thinks I shouldnt get it done but the other part of me doesnt want to screw around and cause testical damage.

    Back when I was 20 I was told my testical that had the varicocele had slightly atrophied.

    But when I had an ultrasound last year and the year before I was told they are the same size. So apparently my shrinkage reversed.

    Am I overreacting? Or should I get the embolization done???

    My main concerns are:

    1. Can the coils used for embolization become dislodged and go to the heart? I'm thinking this would be 1 in a million odds. I can

    find nothing documented on this.

    2. Radiation to the testical during the operation from X-rays are used to guide varicocele embolization. Here is what I found on that one.

    "Although the radiologist guides the catheter with an x-ray machine during embolization, the amount of radiation exposure to the testicle is very low - about equal to the amount received during a chest x-ray."

    So I'm thinking thats not really an issue.

    Basically I dont want to have a surgery I don't need, but I also don't to leave something that may cause testical damage.

    My sperm count was ok as of last year.

    Should I have the embolization done?

    Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

    Especially before this Friday

    Thanks,

    -Mark

  2. New Member
    Megazoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    168
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    32.14%

    Considering i will be launching a website on this subject (varicocele/testicular disorders and HRT) i thought i should chime in.

    Personally i recommend going in for the operation, i had the embolization done myself and don't regret it one bit. While my hormones didn't improve much (or at all), the pain was reduced and that annoying pulsating feeling was gone.

    Have you had any blood work done to check adrenals, thyroid and sex hormones? Varicocele can negatively effect all of the above.

    1. Can the coils used for embolization become dislodged and go to the heart? I'm thinking this would be 1 in a million odds. I can

    find nothing documented on this.


    To answer this simply, no. I have never once heard of this happening, though i guess never say never.
  3. New Member
    markm455's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  270 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    90
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    98.33%

    Thanks for the reply Megazoid. Much appreciated.

    I had my test blood level ran probably 1 1/2 years ago.

    It was the probably around 3 or 4 pm when they drew the blood... instead of in the morning when levels are high.

    My test level was around 300, which I know sucks. Not sure what it would be in the morning. Maybe 400 or 500???

    I will have to go in and get another one done.

    Guess that explains why I don't put on much muscle unless I supplement some extra test!
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    LeanGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    812
    Rep Power
    491
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    32.52%

    Quote Originally Posted by markm455 View Post
    My test level was around 300, which I know sucks. Not sure what it would be in the morning. Maybe 400 or 500???
    We're both around 30 years old-- mine is also about 300. My doc says I should be around 800 or more at my age.
  5. New Member
    brian82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    101
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    39.02%

    I had the varicocele embolisation on the 4th Dec and so far everything is going fine my libido seems to have gone up quite a bit already although I can still feel the veins I have been told this will eventually shrink down. I have noticed that before the op I could tense my adominals and I could feel the pressure build up in my testicle veins but now after the op this does not happen.

    Any other questions you have I will be happy to answer.
    B
  6. Advanced Member
    LeanGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    812
    Rep Power
    491
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    32.52%

    Quote Originally Posted by brian82 View Post
    I had the varicocele embolisation on the 4th Dec and so far everything is going fine my libido seems to have gone up quite a bit already although I can still feel the veins I have been told this will eventually shrink down. I have noticed that before the op I could tense my adominals and I could feel the pressure build up in my testicle veins but now after the op this does not happen.

    Any other questions you have I will be happy to answer.
    B
    Brian, I am scheduled for next week.

    How was your experience with the actual procedure and recovery (pain?)

    How long did they say to avoid things like sex, excercise, lifting?
  7. New Member
    brian82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    101
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    39.02%

    My experience was good no pain during or after the op really painless. He asked me after the op if I played any sport just said I run and he said to wait one day before resuming, but now 4 weeks later I am completely back to normal with weightlifting etc.

    B
  8. Advanced Member
    LeanGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    812
    Rep Power
    491
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    32.52%

    bump


    Hey Mark, how was your procedure? Hope it went well.
  9. New Member
    markm455's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  270 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    90
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    98.33%

    Surgury update...


    Well I had the procedure done 2 weeks ago today.

    Still have some testicular pain on my right side (which is the side they made the embolization incision). Not at the incision site but in my right testical itself. The varicocele is on my left side.

    The pain comes and goes and is kind of a pinching feeling. I called my urologist and he said this is normal due to inflammation. Not sure though.

    The other thing is they didn't really do anything in the surgery because all the veins that were tied off from my previous 2 litigation surgeries showed no leakage!!!

    So apparently I have a few veins that rerouted after previous surgeries that went bad???

    Also not sure how long I shouldn't lift for???
  10. New Member
    beckerj's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    190
    Rep Power
    183
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    67.73%

    After my surgery I had the same feeling .... like a sharp pain in my groin .... It was not constant .... Just an occassional shooting pain .... I chalked it up to the veins that were ligated dying off .... I had the microsurgery ....
  11. New Member
    darkblue1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  159 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    372
    Rep Power
    268
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    93.83%

    Quote Originally Posted by markm455 View Post
    Well I had the procedure done 2 weeks ago today.

    Still have some testicular pain on my right side (which is the side they made the embolization incision). Not at the incision site but in my right testical itself. The varicocele is on my left side.

    The pain comes and goes and is kind of a pinching feeling. I called my urologist and he said this is normal due to inflammation. Not sure though.

    The other thing is they didn't really do anything in the surgery because all the veins that were tied off from my previous 2 litigation surgeries showed no leakage!!!

    So apparently I have a few veins that rerouted after previous surgeries that went bad???

    Also not sure how long I shouldn't lift for???

    Markm,

    Did you check you T elevls recently.What are the numbers now after surgery.Did they go up?
  12. New Member
    darkblue1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  159 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    372
    Rep Power
    268
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    93.83%

    Quote Originally Posted by brian82 View Post
    My experience was good no pain during or after the op really painless. He asked me after the op if I played any sport just said I run and he said to wait one day before resuming, but now 4 weeks later I am completely back to normal with weightlifting etc.

    B
    brian,

    Did you Testosterone levels go up after surgery?
  13. New Member
    jdubb23's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    77
    Level
    1
    Lv. Percent
    30%

    mega zoid how did the varicocele embolization turn out?are the bag of worms gone?how long until u were able to lift weights again?u can write me back on pm or here,im set to have the surgery next thursday and im seeing different answers on when i can lift again because i beileve surgery u have to wait longer?


    Quote Originally Posted by Megazoid View Post
    Considering i will be launching a website on this subject (varicocele/testicular disorders and HRT) i thought i should chime in.

    Personally i recommend going in for the operation, i had the embolization done myself and don't regret it one bit. While my hormones didn't improve much (or at all), the pain was reduced and that annoying pulsating feeling was gone.

    Have you had any blood work done to check adrenals, thyroid and sex hormones? Varicocele can negatively effect all of the above.

    1. Can the coils used for embolization become dislodged and go to the heart? I'm thinking this would be 1 in a million odds. I can

    find nothing documented on this.


    To answer this simply, no. I have never once heard of this happening, though i guess never say never.
  14. New Member
    ddown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    80
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    55%

    I had the open surgery on my left varicocele about a week ago. I am experiencing some left testicle tenderness and possibly some mild swelling as well. does this sound familiar to you guys? Is it normal?
  15. New Member
    uptempo's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    108
    Rep Power
    132
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    19.19%

    i had open surgery a little over a month ago...in the lower abs...i did have swelling and some edema...after the 5th day of surgery some pain was noticeable because the anesthesia completely went away...right now my scrotum is bigger and kind of still uncomfortable when it hangs low...(it hangs a lot lower than before the pain started).. and they still feel pretty heavy...i don't know whats wrong but im thinking the skin is stretched from the swelling...still can't run...nevertheless i cant walk/powerwalk ok..

    but then again each person's post surgery experiences are different...it all depends on how well your body can handle it....
  16. New Member
    Beatles15's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    75
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    8.33%

    I'm 18 and i've had a problem with Varicocele for about four months now and the pain is really starting to get on my nerves. i've been looking into getting surgery for a while but am not all that sure in which one i should get.
    any suggestions?
  17. New Member
    beckerj's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    190
    Rep Power
    183
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    67.73%

    I highly reccomend the Micro-Surgery .... If you look at the pros and cons of each the Micro-Surgery option has the better end result .... Less chance of recurrence .... Besides an embolization will need to put metal coils in your veins .... I am one that would rather have the veins ligates than blocked ....
  18. Advanced Member
    LeanGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    812
    Rep Power
    491
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    32.52%

    I did the embolization and V returned same as before... wish I'd done the micro.
  19. New Member
    Beatles15's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    75
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    8.33%

    alright thanks guys.
    ill keep that in mind.
    i'm gonna get it checked out during break.
    it's quite the nuisance since i live 2 hours away from home now so i gotta wait for vacation and what not.

    how long is the healing process?
    how long before i can get back on my feet and run and bike?
    i have to bike a mile to get to school every day a few times a day.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. 1st injectable cycle... opinions appreciated
    By freqfly in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 09:55 PM
  2. Should I get jino's or Ansomone?
    By Poobah in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-10-2006, 09:52 PM
  3. Hahaha! Maybe we should all get this done..
    By LakeMountD in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2005, 08:43 PM
  4. should i get different needles?
    By d00fy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 08:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in