Should I get a Varicocele Embolization? Opinions Appreciated!!!

markm455

Awards
I'm scheduled to have a varicocele embolization this Friday 1/11 and would really appreicate your advice.

I have had 2 varicocele operations. One when I was 13 the other when I was 20. And yes I still have the problem, although not as bad as before. I am now 29.

I've noticed the pain has been slowly getting worse. Mainly when I workout and for a few hours after I work out.

Part of me thinks I shouldnt get it done but the other part of me doesnt want to screw around and cause testical damage.

Back when I was 20 I was told my testical that had the varicocele had slightly atrophied.

But when I had an ultrasound last year and the year before I was told they are the same size. So apparently my shrinkage reversed.

Am I overreacting? Or should I get the embolization done???

My main concerns are:

1. Can the coils used for embolization become dislodged and go to the heart? I'm thinking this would be 1 in a million odds. I can

find nothing documented on this.

2. Radiation to the testical during the operation from X-rays are used to guide varicocele embolization. Here is what I found on that one.

"Although the radiologist guides the catheter with an x-ray machine during embolization, the amount of radiation exposure to the testicle is very low - about equal to the amount received during a chest x-ray."

So I'm thinking thats not really an issue.

Basically I dont want to have a surgery I don't need, but I also don't to leave something that may cause testical damage.

My sperm count was ok as of last year.

Should I have the embolization done?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Especially before this Friday :)

Thanks,

-Mark

Megazoid

Awards
Considering i will be launching a website on this subject (varicocele/testicular disorders and HRT) i thought i should chime in.

Personally i recommend going in for the operation, i had the embolization done myself and don't regret it one bit. While my hormones didn't improve much (or at all), the pain was reduced and that annoying pulsating feeling was gone.

Have you had any blood work done to check adrenals, thyroid and sex hormones? Varicocele can negatively effect all of the above.

1. Can the coils used for embolization become dislodged and go to the heart? I'm thinking this would be 1 in a million odds. I can

To answer this simply, no. I have never once heard of this happening, though i guess never say never.

markm455

Awards
Thanks for the reply Megazoid. Much appreciated.

I had my test blood level ran probably 1 1/2 years ago.

It was the probably around 3 or 4 pm when they drew the blood... instead of in the morning when levels are high.

My test level was around 300, which I know sucks. Not sure what it would be in the morning. Maybe 400 or 500???

I will have to go in and get another one done.

Guess that explains why I don't put on much muscle unless I supplement some extra test!

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
My test level was around 300, which I know sucks. Not sure what it would be in the morning. Maybe 400 or 500???
We're both around 30 years old-- mine is also about 300. My doc says I should be around 800 or more at my age.

brian82

Awards
I had the varicocele embolisation on the 4th Dec and so far everything is going fine my libido seems to have gone up quite a bit already although I can still feel the veins I have been told this will eventually shrink down. I have noticed that before the op I could tense my adominals and I could feel the pressure build up in my testicle veins but now after the op this does not happen.

Any other questions you have I will be happy to answer.
B

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
I had the varicocele embolisation on the 4th Dec and so far everything is going fine my libido seems to have gone up quite a bit already although I can still feel the veins I have been told this will eventually shrink down. I have noticed that before the op I could tense my adominals and I could feel the pressure build up in my testicle veins but now after the op this does not happen.

Any other questions you have I will be happy to answer.
B
Brian, I am scheduled for next week.

How was your experience with the actual procedure and recovery (pain?)

How long did they say to avoid things like sex, excercise, lifting?

brian82

Awards
My experience was good no pain during or after the op really painless. He asked me after the op if I played any sport just said I run and he said to wait one day before resuming, but now 4 weeks later I am completely back to normal with weightlifting etc.

B

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
bump

Hey Mark, how was your procedure? Hope it went well.

markm455

Awards
Surgury update...

Well I had the procedure done 2 weeks ago today.

Still have some testicular pain on my right side (which is the side they made the embolization incision). Not at the incision site but in my right testical itself. The varicocele is on my left side.

The pain comes and goes and is kind of a pinching feeling. I called my urologist and he said this is normal due to inflammation. Not sure though.

The other thing is they didn't really do anything in the surgery because all the veins that were tied off from my previous 2 litigation surgeries showed no leakage!!!

So apparently I have a few veins that rerouted after previous surgeries that went bad???

Also not sure how long I shouldn't lift for???

beckerj

Awards
After my surgery I had the same feeling .... like a sharp pain in my groin .... It was not constant .... Just an occassional shooting pain .... I chalked it up to the veins that were ligated dying off .... I had the microsurgery ....

darkblue1

Awards
  • Established
Well I had the procedure done 2 weeks ago today.

Still have some testicular pain on my right side (which is the side they made the embolization incision). Not at the incision site but in my right testical itself. The varicocele is on my left side.

The pain comes and goes and is kind of a pinching feeling. I called my urologist and he said this is normal due to inflammation. Not sure though.

The other thing is they didn't really do anything in the surgery because all the veins that were tied off from my previous 2 litigation surgeries showed no leakage!!!

So apparently I have a few veins that rerouted after previous surgeries that went bad???

Also not sure how long I shouldn't lift for???

Markm,

Did you check you T elevls recently.What are the numbers now after surgery.Did they go up?

darkblue1

Awards
  • Established
My experience was good no pain during or after the op really painless. He asked me after the op if I played any sport just said I run and he said to wait one day before resuming, but now 4 weeks later I am completely back to normal with weightlifting etc.

B
brian,

Did you Testosterone levels go up after surgery?

jdubb23

Awards
mega zoid how did the varicocele embolization turn out?are the bag of worms gone?how long until u were able to lift weights again?u can write me back on pm or here,im set to have the surgery next thursday and im seeing different answers on when i can lift again because i beileve surgery u have to wait longer?

Considering i will be launching a website on this subject (varicocele/testicular disorders and HRT) i thought i should chime in.

Personally i recommend going in for the operation, i had the embolization done myself and don't regret it one bit. While my hormones didn't improve much (or at all), the pain was reduced and that annoying pulsating feeling was gone.

Have you had any blood work done to check adrenals, thyroid and sex hormones? Varicocele can negatively effect all of the above.

To answer this simply, no. I have never once heard of this happening, though i guess never say never.

ddown

Awards
I had the open surgery on my left varicocele about a week ago. I am experiencing some left testicle tenderness and possibly some mild swelling as well. does this sound familiar to you guys? Is it normal?

uptempo

uptempo

Awards
i had open surgery a little over a month ago...in the lower abs...i did have swelling and some edema...after the 5th day of surgery some pain was noticeable because the anesthesia completely went away...right now my scrotum is bigger and kind of still uncomfortable when it hangs low...(it hangs a lot lower than before the pain started).. and they still feel pretty heavy...i don't know whats wrong but im thinking the skin is stretched from the swelling...still can't run...nevertheless i cant walk/powerwalk ok..

but then again each person's post surgery experiences are different...it all depends on how well your body can handle it....

Beatles15

Awards
I'm 18 and i've had a problem with Varicocele for about four months now and the pain is really starting to get on my nerves. i've been looking into getting surgery for a while but am not all that sure in which one i should get.
any suggestions?

beckerj

Awards
I highly reccomend the Micro-Surgery .... If you look at the pros and cons of each the Micro-Surgery option has the better end result .... Less chance of recurrence .... Besides an embolization will need to put metal coils in your veins .... I am one that would rather have the veins ligates than blocked ....

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
I did the embolization and V returned same as before... wish I'd done the micro.

Beatles15

Awards
alright thanks guys.
ill keep that in mind.
i'm gonna get it checked out during break.
it's quite the nuisance since i live 2 hours away from home now so i gotta wait for vacation and what not.

how long is the healing process?
how long before i can get back on my feet and run and bike?
i have to bike a mile to get to school every day a few times a day.