I am confused

bioman3131

Awards
I did my first blood donation four months ago and before my hematocrit was 54(tested at the blood bank). Two months later it was 47.5 (tested at Quest). Today I donated blood again, four total month from my last donation and they(the blood bank) tested it at 55. Is there any reason why they keep getting a higher reading than Quest? Maybe I didn't have enough fluid. Today I did it late in the morning and had not drank any water only coffee.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I did my first blood donation four months ago and before my hematocrit was 54(tested at the blood bank). Two months later it was 47.5 (tested at Quest). Today I donated blood again, four total month from my last donation and they(the blood bank) tested it at 55. Is there any reason why they keep getting a higher reading than Quest? Maybe I didn't have enough fluid. Today I did it late in the morning and had not drank any water only coffee.
It is good practice to keep variables to a minimum.
Stay with one laboratory, preferably good laboratory.
Definitely laboratory that you you are able to go to on long term basis.
Do not look too much at any other labs results even if they force it on you.

bioman3131

Awards
Thanks. I am one of Dr. John's patients and all of my stuff is done through Quest, which like I said only two months ago reported a normal value for my hematocrit. It is just frustrating. I wished they wouldn't even check it. Each time they do it always varies by a considerable amount. Besides all that this the donation hurt like crazy. She couldn't get it to flow at first so they twisted the needle around. Two hours later I took the bandage off and it was still seeping blood and now my arm is sore.Maybee I need to find a new blood bank.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. I am one of Dr. John's patients and all of my stuff is done through Quest, which like I said only two months ago reported a normal value for my hematocrit. It is just frustrating. I wished they wouldn't even check it. Each time they do it always varies by a considerable amount. Besides all that this the donation hurt like crazy. She couldn't get it to flow at first so they twisted the needle around. Two hours later I took the bandage off and it was still seeping blood and now my arm is sore.Maybee I need to find a new blood bank.
Insist that they DO NOT USE crock of your elbow (help with description).
Let them figure out another place.

If they use just that one place it will wore out in short order.

Figure out any cacamamy story, just do not let them in that one place.
======================================================
Double check this, not sure if applicable in your case, but

I am using prescription medicine
Pentoxifylli 400mg
2 tablets/day

helps in blood flow.
possibly something to look in to.
==============================================
Fibrinogen
High Value: Values >400 mg/dL can cause spontaneous clotting.
pentoxifylline (PTX); low-cost prescription drug is pentoxifylline (PTX);
the brand name is Trental
Fibrinogen LEF recomended range (180–250)
Inflammation (Chronic) - Print Version : Online Reference For Health Concerns
Homocysteine Reduction: Online References For Health Concerns
Le Magazine, October 2006 - On The Cover: When Homocysteine Levels Won’T Come Down

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established
Insist that they DO NOT USE crock of your elbow (help with description).
Let them figure out another place.

If they use just that one place it will wore out in short order.

Figure out any cacamamy story, just do not let them in that one place.
======================================================
Double check this, not sure if applicable in your case, but

I am using prescription medicine
Pentoxifylli 400mg
2 tablets/day

helps in blood flow.
possibly something to look in to.
==============================================
Fibrinogen
High Value: Values >400 mg/dL can cause spontaneous clotting.
pentoxifylline (PTX); low-cost prescription drug is pentoxifylline (PTX);
the brand name is Trental
Fibrinogen LEF recomended range (180–250)
Inflammation (Chronic) - Print Version : Online Reference For Health Concerns
Homocysteine Reduction: Online References For Health Concerns
Le Magazine, October 2006 - On The Cover: When Homocysteine Levels Won’T Come Down

Or plain old aspirin.

MarkLA

Awards
325 is a standard aspirin vs 81 which is a baby aspirin.

A doc friend of mine who is researching anti-aging is an advocate of the larger dose. He claimed some study (sorry don't remember) where this does was effective or more effective than the 81.

I'm not taking any aspirin now. I want to get the T situation sorted our before complicating things.

Mark

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established
325 is a standard aspirin vs 81 which is a baby aspirin.

A doc friend of mine who is researching anti-aging is an advocate of the larger dose. He claimed some study (sorry don't remember) where this does was effective or more effective than the 81.

I'm not taking any aspirin now. I want to get the T situation sorted our before complicating things.

Mark

At your age, I don't know that I would even bother, unless I had at least a couple of risk factors for cardiovascular disease.

MarkLA

Awards
At your age, I don't know that I would even bother, unless I had at least a couple of risk factors for cardiovascular disease.
True, you have a good point.

I am A-OK healthy except for the hypogonadism. I have had some family heart disease (dead grandparents) but this was before we knew about cholesterol, diet, etc.

I do believe in prevention though, and figure it's better to start earlier than later. I had a heart scan a few months ago which showed zero calcification. This is good, but actually pretty normal for someone who is 35.

As we age, generally calcification increases steadily. There's ways to reduce it (diet, fish oil, D3, K2) but better to prevent it from starting if possible. I'm not sure yet if I'll go back on aspirin and my other supplements when I'm dialed in with T or just keep it simple and start again when I'm 40 or something.

Mark

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
True, you have a good point.

I am A-OK healthy except for the hypogonadism. I have had some family heart disease (dead grandparents) but this was before we knew about cholesterol, diet, etc.

I do believe in prevention though, and figure it's better to start earlier than later. I had a heart scan a few months ago which showed zero calcification. This is good, but actually pretty normal for someone who is 35.

As we age, generally calcification increases steadily. There's ways to reduce it (diet, fish oil, D3, K2) but better to prevent it from starting if possible. I'm not sure yet if I'll go back on aspirin and my other supplements when I'm dialed in with T or just keep it simple and start again when I'm 40 or something.

Mark
I had (possibly similar) cat-scan type of test in 1997, was 57yo, right after I stopped working. It also show lack of calcifications.
Wonder if it is worth spending money on this type of tests.

MarkLA

Awards
I had (possibly similar) cat-scan type of test in 1997, was 57yo, right after I stopped working. It also show lack of calcifications.
Wonder if it is worth spending money on this type of tests.
It was $300 which I considered to be a good deal given that I get to use a $2m machine, get an MD to look at it, etc. I also got a CD of some pictures of my heart. I have no idea what I'm looking at when I look at them -- they look like blobs of ink ;)

I posted before about this blog which I read The Heart Scan Blog -- This guy is a big proponent of the test. You can have good cholesterol readings and still be getting clogged up.

As to whether it's worth the money... If you're about to have a cardiac "event" and don't know it, then its a tremendous bargain. If you have zero calcium like me (or the 55 year old MD) who does the testing then maybe it'sa waste...

Mark

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
It was $300 which I considered to be a good deal given that I get to use a $2m machine, get an MD to look at it, etc. I also got a CD of some pictures of my heart. I have no idea what I'm looking at when I look at them -- they look like blobs of ink ;)

I posted before about this blog which I read The Heart Scan Blog -- This guy is a big proponent of the test. You can have good cholesterol readings and still be getting clogged up.

As to whether it's worth the money... If you're about to have a cardiac "event" and don't know it, then its a tremendous bargain. If you have zero calcium like me (or the 55 year old MD) who does the testing then maybe it'sa waste...

Mark
My test look like possibly similar.
big new machine, CD, talk to doctor.
IIRC it was $650 in 1997

When I made comment about if it is worth for me to do it again 11 years latter,
I ment,

since

I was clean then
my cholesterol is even lower now
I am doing all kind of tests at Genova Diagnostics and Quest and implementing corrective action

OTOH there is newer enough testing or pre-cautions,
just looking for a ballance.

MarkLA

Awards
Of course. It's possible to go overboard. If anything you and I would be the ones likely to be guilty of that ;)

That said, at 67, I think you should probably get it. 11 years is a relatively long time. The calcification tends to build up almost exponentially as we age, so 56-67 is more likely to see calcification than say, 35-46, all things equal.

On the other hand, if you're already taking fish oil, D3, K2 and whatever else maybe the question to ask is -- if I am all clogged up, what would I do differently than I already am? If you're already doing all the prevention then maybe the test can't give you anything actionable to do..

Mark

corndog

corndog

Awards
  • Established
Google Pyroluria. It describes the possible contribution to high hemoglobin and lack of zinc, magn. I started ZMA and my hemotoligist has me on 325mg aspirin.

Does your insurance pick up the bill for Quest? I am guessing you have to do the work at sending it in then getting it paid rather than the lab billing your insurance.

Also read on Omega's and high hemoglobin. It should have this info on the Pyroluria website. High hmg/hrc often to not need or have to much Omega 6 in their diet and adding more via. supplements can worsen issue. Omega 3 is still suggested.