Finasteride and Prostate Cancer

rick055

Awards
  • Established
I have heard that finasteride reduces the overall risk of prostate cancer, but when one does get cancer while on the medication, the type of cancer one gets is more aggressive.

I thought I heard someone say the study was flawed and they only looked more agressive because the prostate was shrunken (finasteride) in realtion to the finasteride use.

What's the deal?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I have heard that finasteride reduces the overall risk of prostate cancer, but when one does get cancer while on the medication, the type of cancer one gets is more aggressive.

I thought I heard someone say the study was flawed and they only looked more agressive because the prostate was shrunken (finasteride) in realtion to the finasteride use.

What's the deal?
I rather believe that high estrogen is responsible.

I have a friend in Poland, year and half ago operated prostate cancer.
Now his PSA is growing.
They killed his T and DHT

Doctors newer got interested in his e2 levels.

I begged him to check his e2 before they kiil off his T & DHT

His E2=60

I think prostate docs are sick and barking at a wrong tree.
Other than E2 they should watch 2-OHE1 and Quinones
======================================

MarkLA

Awards
Also FWIW - My physician thinks that E1 (Estrone) is responsible for prostate cancer growth.

AFAIK, an AI would reduce E2 and E1.

Mark

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Also FWIW - My physician thinks that E1 (Estrone) is responsible for prostate cancer growth.

AFAIK, an AI would reduce E2 and E1.

Mark
An his is right about E1,
actually E1's metabolites
16a-OHE1
4-OHE1

I do not know if AI reduces E1
----------------

My recent EstroEssence test,
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/77385-jansz-metabolic-analysis-2.html

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/404images/19690d1198978163-jansz-metabolic-analysis-estroessencenov28-07-page1.jpg

shows my urine

E1, E2 and other

at the moment my theory is that my
high E1 is due to my use of a lots of DHEA pills (150mg), I cut down since
DHEA ---> androstenedione ---> E1
the Phase I fiasco I hope is due to wrong way of taking urine sample.
It is supposed to be FMV, first morning void urine.
I guess assuming that it is collected at about 10PM-7AM during 8 hours of sleep.
I go 4-5 times a night to a bathroom, so my sample was collected during about 2 hours, 5AM -7AM

rick055

Awards
  • Established
So, if one knew they didn't have the sexual side effects of low dose finasteride (1 mg EOD) AND was monitoring estrogens (and using an AI if necessary) do you think it's a relatively safe drug?

I know about the sexual sides, etc... but my pre TRT DHT was slightly over top of range (with low T, go figure), on transdermals it was TWICE top of range, I started shedding hair like mad, and I recently began test cyp, don't know where I am now.

If my levels even get back to where I was, I won't use it, but if I am way over range, I'm thinking about it.

Jan, didn't you go high on DHT from transdermals but back to normal on cyp? What was your pre TRT DHT? Were you high or low?

I ask because I have seen some who were high DHT before beginning TRT who actually lowered DHT on cyp and it was theorized that there was a better balance of estrogens due to the AI.

Any ideas?

MarkLA

Awards
So, if one knew they didn't have the sexual side effects of low dose finasteride (1 mg EOD) AND was monitoring estrogens (and using an AI if necessary) do you think it's a relatively safe drug?
I'm not sure the mechanism for the sexual side-effects is known, therefore I don't know if just because you haven't had side-effects yet that you won't some time in the future. The people damaged by this drug seem to not recover even after years, so I'd be very cautious.

You'd be well served to go ask this question there, although of course, your answer will be somewhat skewed. The people there are not a random sample of propecia users, but are mainly those (appearing to ) suffer from taking it. http://www.propeciahelp.com/forum/

Mark