IM injection questions

rick055

Awards
  • Established
I have a few questions about IM injects:

1. If you go through a blood vessel vein en route to the injection - but are not IN the blood vessel/vein at the final injection point, are you going to aspirate blood from having penetrated the vessel earlier?

2. If you do, in fact, aspirate blood, do you have to withdraw the needle completely, throw it away (test and all) and start over? I have read contrary information here. Some say throw the whole shebang away, some say go a little deeper/shallower, and try aspirating again, which brings me to my third question;

3. If you do hit a vein, aspirate blood and withdraw (or penetrate) a little more to try to get away from the vein, when you re-aspirate how would you know if you're getting "new" blood in the syringe or if it's the "old" blood from before?

4. Also, are you less likely to hit a vein doing a glute injection?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

1. If you go through a blood vessel vein en route to the injection - but are not IN the blood vessel/vein at the final injection point, are you going to aspirate blood from having penetrated the vessel earlier?

2. If you do, in fact, aspirate blood, do you have to withdraw the needle completely, throw it away (test and all) and start over? I have read contrary information here. Some say throw the whole shebang away, some say go a little deeper/shallower, and try aspirating again, which brings me to my third question;

3. If you do hit a vein, aspirate blood and withdraw (or penetrate) a little more to try to get away from the vein, when you re-aspirate how would you know if you're getting "new" blood in the syringe or if it's the "old" blood from before?

Another reson to stay with SubQ injections.

I used glutes, upper outside quadrant.

CF10

CF10

Awards

1. No

2. You should throw it all away and start over but some people just pull out, replace the needle, and start over without throwing the test out. But those people dont have scripts and only do this to not waste their gear. Since you dont need to worry about that, just replace it all.

3. Never had it happen but from what I read you can tell the difference between air bubbles and blood entering the syringe even if you already have a little blood in the syringe from the previous aspiration.

4. I've heard that you're more likely and less likely so I dont know. But it's not a big deal if you do as long as you aspirate and dont shoot the vein so I never worry about it. Glutes and quads both go very smoothly for me.

MarkLA

Awards
Pardon my ignorance, but...

What is aspirating?

How does blood get into the syringe when you are maintaining pressure to push the T out of it?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

What is aspirating?

How does blood get into the syringe when you are maintaining pressure to push the T out of it?
You are supposed to:

1 push the needle thru
2 aspirate, pull back, to see if you are pulling blood, if you do, start from scratch. It is nono to shoot testosterone into veins.

one, (minor) reason why I do SubQ.

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
Aspirate means to pull the plunger out to make sure you don't draw blood due to being in a blood vessel.

If you aspirate blood, you pull it out and throw it all away and try again in a different location.

There are files out there about how to do "spot injections" correctly. If you haven't had your doctor or the doctor's nurse explain injections, research this before you jab yourself.

wondering

Awards
Aspirating is what you do after you have inserted needle to its endpoint. After doign this, you should pull back slightly on syringe to make sure you are not in a vein. If blood comes rushing thru, you shouldnt inject the T.

I have NEVER had this happen..dont pull too hard... and should be a bit difficult to pull back.. the syringe doesnt actually pull back when in the muscle. when/if nothing comes back into the syringe... I then begin to push the T out the needle and into my thigh.

What is aspirating?

MarkLA

Awards
Cool, I appreciate the info.

I'm doing the gel right now, but was curious as I may need to switch to shots before too long.

I go for a blood test today and will update my thread when I have the results..

Mark

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Cool, I appreciate the info.

I'm doing the gel right now, but was curious as I may need to switch to shots before too long.

I go for a blood test today and will update my thread when I have the results..

Mark
It is now 1:17PM EST in NJ
I see you have posted few minutes ago.
Being in LA you must have 10:17AM now
that is middle of the day or very late morning.

You have probably put your gel on 3 or 4 hours ago.

It is not good time to do blood draw.

Do it tommorow, before you put gel on,
do it at about 7-7:30AM, when is most likely your usual time of gel application.

In my place Quest lab opens 7:01AM
I show up there 6:40, I am usually first in line.

MarkLA

Awards
It is now 1:17PM EST in NJ
I see you have posted few minutes ago.
Being in LA you must have 10:17AM now
that is middle of the day or very late morning.

You have probably put your gel on 3 or 4 hours ago.

It is not good time to do blood draw.

Do it tommorow, before you put gel on,
do it at about 7-7:30AM, when is most likely your usual time of gel application.

In my place Quest lab opens 7:01AM
I show up there 6:40, I am usually first in line.
JanSz,

You're very perceptive. I didn't get your message until now and I already gave the blood...

I applied at 7am, then I went after about 5 hours to get tested. I figured the peak is at 2 hours and after that it has declined. That was my logic.

Mark