Urinary Neurotransmitter Testing: Problems And Alternatives

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Nice study, I am still reading it.

I found there this sentence:
Our staff tried but soon discontinued the use of urine NT testing because deficiency symptoms
and test results too often did not correlate clinically.
--------------------------------

Note, Genova Diagnostics does not tests neurotransmitters directly. It is not reliable test (they said that).

They do test their metabolites.
Page #1 and #4 of my test:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/77385-jansz-metabolic-analysis.html

Note, that it is just four line test, four lines out of 120 lines that are checked in NutriEval test.
Plus, the test is accesible world wide.
=========================================================
Page #1 & #2 of my test
lines 18 thru 23, actually 19-23
they are within the range but barely.

That is reason for my rather low energy.
When my pending test comes back with similar results I will assume that I am defficient there and will take appropriate supplements.
At the moment that translates to:

5-HTP (L-5-Hydroxytryptophan) 100 mg, 120 capsules Item Catalog Number: 23062
Homocysteine Resist 100 capsules Item Catalog Number: 800
Gluconeogenic amino acids (e.g., L-alanine, glycine, L-serine); vitamin B6, Mg;
Ca pyruvate
L-alanine, glycine, L-serine;
B12 injections
I will also do

GDX Elemental Analysis, Packed Erythrocytes

because I have noted that number of elements that are on rather top range in my blood test are shown to be deficient in Genova testing.
Genova warns that many people have wery high requirement for FUNCTIONAL element levels.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Ok, in that study I found a word: phosphorylated

(Well; my cortisol is rather ok.)

It slows cancer, cannot be bad.

What's Hot Archive - August 2007
August 15, 2007

Metformin slows growth of tumors lacking p53

The July, 2007 issue of Cancer Research published the results of research conducted at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine which determined that metformin, a drug commonly used for diabetes, destroys tumor cells lacking a regulatory gene known as p53, which acts as a tumor suppressor. The gene is estimated to be lost in over half of all human cancers.

Studies have found that diabetics who use metformin have a lower risk of cancer and mortality within a given period than those who don't use the drug. In research funded by the National Cancer Institute, University of Pennsylvania Professor of Cancer Biology and Medicine Craig B. Thompson MD and colleagues injected human colon cancer cells with normal p53 into one side of mice and the same cells lacking p53 into the other side. After four days, the mice received daily injections of metformin or saline. The dose of metformin administered in the study was equivalent to that used by human diabetics.

At the end of the four week treatment period there was no difference among the animals in the size of tumors with normal p53, however, tumors lacking p53 in mice that received metformin were half the size of those in the saline-injected animals. The team discovered that the drug instructs cells to switch metabolic pathways from oxidative phosphorylation, the most energy efficient pathway, to a stress related one used when the cells are deficient in oxygen, glucose or other nutrients. Normally when p53 is absent, the cells are not able to perform the switch. “Without p53, if we force cells to live on alternative substrates, they can’t do it,” explained Dr Thompson .

He announced, “This is the first time you can show that tumor growth is impaired by a diabetes drug. It is specific for tumors that lack p53, which is the most common mutation in human cancer.”
—D D

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
DL-Phenylalanine or D-Phenylalanine

my test tells me to take

L-Phenylalanine 500-200mg/d

but LEF have only

DL-Phenylalanine
Dl Phenylalanine, 500 Mg 100 Capsules

that is what I take.

Anybody wish to comment??
---------------------------------------------------

Important quote from the paper in first post:

I recommend that clinicians begin their exploration of amino acid therapy using inexpensive,
easily ordered single amino acids so that they can learn how each one impacts patients at varying
doses, before considering combination formulations.

also:
We arrange to have blood platelet testing done at Vitamin
Diagnostics when the symptom picture is unclear.

that is similar to what Genova is doing with their:
==========================================================================================================

My summary:
very nice paper, very educational.

problem for consumer (when comparing to Genova):
it adresses neurotransmitters only and in rather (inefficient, inaccurate) direct way.
That is looking at about 5% of available, testable analytes.
That is 95% of available picture is deliberately ignored.

another problem is total reliance on physician's good guess, no room for self double checking.