High Platelets

R

rick055

Awards
  • Established
My brother has had a couple of labs over the years that show high platelets (447/491, reference range 150-400).

Anything to worry about? his doctor has told him no, I said get a second opinion. Two elevated tests over an 18 month timeframe.

Any other symptoms to worry about?

Cpeil?

H

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
prolong stress. infections, or magnesium deficeincy factor in e2 as possibility as well. HIT THE FISH OILS !!

C

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established
My brother has had a couple of labs over the years that show high platelets (447/491, reference range 150-400).

Anything to worry about? his doctor has told him no, I said get a second opinion. Two elevated tests over an 18 month timeframe.

Cpeil?

Slight elevation, probably nothing to worry about. But he needs to watch this. Although the elevation is slight, it seems like a trend is developing. If the trend continues, it might signal a bone marrow problem.

If he hasn't already, he should have an iron study done. Iron deficiency can cause slight elevations in platelet count like this.

Has his spleen been removed? That can cause platelet count elevations.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

Cpeil?
xxxxxxxxxxx

R

rick055

Awards
  • Established
Slight elevation, probably nothing to worry about. But he needs to watch this. Although the elevation is slight, it seems like a trend is developing. If the trend continues, it might signal a bone marrow problem.

If he hasn't already, he should have an iron study done. Iron deficiency can cause slight elevations in platelet count like this.

Has his spleen been removed? That can cause platelet count elevations.
No, I think he has his spleen.

I will recommend the iron study.

Thanks, cpeil. reps