The 10 most important tests???

spinn

Awards
  • Established
I have the same issues as most here.....previously low thyroid and testosterone numbers and high e2 with low cortisol....now treating with hrt.

Because I have such a high deductible, I can only afford 10 tests at this time.

Which 10 are the most important?

I am thinking:

ft3, ft4, free testosterone, dht, e2, cortisol, shbg, prolactin, ighf-1 and dhea-s.

Am I in the right ballpark?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I have the same issues as most here.....previously low thyroid and testosterone numbers and high e2 with low cortisol....now treating with hrt.

Because I have such a high deductible, I can only afford 10 tests at this time.

Which 10 are the most important?

I am thinking:

ft3, ft4, free testosterone, dht, e2, cortisol, shbg, prolactin, ighf-1 and dhea-s.

Am I in the right ballpark?
-----------------At Quest
T3 Free
DHEA sulfate
Prolactin
Estradiol, Free, LC/MS/MS (36169X)
Testosterone, Free, Bio/Total (LC/MS/MS)
Dihydrotestosterone, Free, Serum (36168X)
Estroessence ---------------------at Genova
==========================================

Latter do some of this risk factors
Bilirubin
C-Reactive Protein (CRP), Highly Sensitive, CSF - (17401X)
Fibrinogen
Hematocrit
Hemoglobin A1C
Homocysteine, cardio
Lipoprotein (A) Lp(A)

Diancecht

Awards
From a medical perspective a PSA within normal limits is considerd mandatory before beginning testosterone because of concerns that added test will cause existing prostate cancers to grow more rapidly. Usually a digital rectal exam etc is also required for medical clearance.

Other tests would then be indicated to help rule out other causes for whatever symptoms you are experiencing. Its a mistake to assume that low test etc is always the cause for fatigue, libido issues, decreased mood etc etc. Hypogonadism is only one of many causes for such symptoms. While test etc is a very important hormone it is not a cure all nor is it a miracle drug pharmaceutically speaking. Its ok to fine tune and focus on hormones once the important differentials are reasonably ruled out but look wide first and then narrow so to speak.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Drop the DHT, a lot of the cutting edge docs think its invalid or very inaccurate at most places anyways. Get the essentials, and then get a rheinlabs or estroessence (id suggest rhein as cheaper).

Free t3, free t4, some check on cortisol (saliva, urines something), free test, total test, e2, psa every once in a while. And then just a basic metabolic panel with cholesterol and liver values.