Daily Anti-Aging Routine - AnabolicMinds.com

Daily Anti-Aging Routine

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. ClintCanada
    Guest
    ClintCanada's Avatar

    Daily Anti-Aging Routine


    I'm 33 yrs old and just wanted to share some things I do fight the aging process -- and stay 'healthy'
    I take daily:
    grape seed extract (anti-oxidant and cardio & skin health)
    omega 3-6-9 (cholesterol . . . lots of benefits with this one)
    drink plain green tea instead of coffee (anti-oxidant)
    saw palmetto (prostate)
    finasteride (hair loss & prostate)
    minoxidil (rogaine) for hair loss
    nizoral shampoo (hair loss)
    tretinoin and alpha-hydroxy acid skin lotion before bed (for skin rejuv) -- in Canada this is by prescription -- see a dermantologist -- costs about $20 for 2 months
    good spf skin lotion in the morning prior to leaving the house (neutrogena spf 45)
    CoQ10 (for heart & anti-oxidant)
    Greens (contains so many herbs and green stuff -- loaded with anti-oxidants and other goodies)
    solid weight training and cardio
    multi-vitamin
    lots of water
    try to maintain approx 20g of fibre per day
    6-7 small meals per day (ensuring fruits, veggies, nuts, complex carbs, healthy fats, protein in each meal basically nutritous whole foods with low GI if possible)
    -oh and for the eys some decent sunglasses when outdoors whenever possible that have UVA and UVB protection
    -8 hrs sleep whenever possible (ya I know not often possible)

    maybe more importantly here's what I AVOID
    -drinking straight tap water because of chlorine and flouride when possible (sometimes you gotta drink it, and better that than go without imo)
    -soda drinks -- regular OR diet (sugar or nuerotoxin take your pick)
    -recreational drugs, cigarettes, drinking to extremes
    -white rice, bread, potatoes (subsitute for whole grain and sweet potatoes/yams)
    -trans fats
    -candy, chips, fast food, and generally most things processed

    Just thought I'd share and keep you all beautiful and healthy forever -- if you've got anything new/different etc. please share

  2. New Member
    wondering's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    134
    Rep Power
    163

    Reputation

    looks good, except for the Finasteride.... but some don't have issues with it. But, I still wonder if those that don't have short term issues (sexual) may have long term problems.

    I don't think reducing DHT (unless over the top) is good for prostate. Seems it's estrogens that may be the bad guy here and I believe by reducing DHT, Finasteride forces hormones to Estrogens instead.


    Quote Originally Posted by ClintCanada View Post
    I'm 33 yrs old and just wanted to share some things I do fight the aging process -- and stay 'healthy'
    I take daily:
    grape seed extract (anti-oxidant and cardio & skin health)
    omega 3-6-9 (cholesterol . . . lots of benefits with this one)
    drink plain green tea instead of coffee (anti-oxidant)
    saw palmetto (prostate)
    finasteride (hair loss & prostate)
    minoxidil (rogaine) for hair loss
    nizoral shampoo (hair loss)
    tretinoin and alpha-hydroxy acid skin lotion before bed (for skin rejuv) -- in Canada this is by prescription -- see a dermantologist -- costs about $20 for 2 months
    good spf skin lotion in the morning prior to leaving the house (neutrogena spf 45)
    CoQ10 (for heart & anti-oxidant)
    Greens (contains so many herbs and green stuff -- loaded with anti-oxidants and other goodies)
    solid weight training and cardio
    multi-vitamin
    lots of water
    try to maintain approx 20g of fibre per day
    6-7 small meals per day (ensuring fruits, veggies, nuts, complex carbs, healthy fats, protein in each meal basically nutritous whole foods with low GI if possible)
    -oh and for the eys some decent sunglasses when outdoors whenever possible that have UVA and UVB protection
    -8 hrs sleep whenever possible (ya I know not often possible)

    maybe more importantly here's what I AVOID
    -drinking straight tap water because of chlorine and flouride when possible (sometimes you gotta drink it, and better that than go without imo)
    -soda drinks -- regular OR diet (sugar or nuerotoxin take your pick)
    -recreational drugs, cigarettes, drinking to extremes
    -white rice, bread, potatoes (subsitute for whole grain and sweet potatoes/yams)
    -trans fats
    -candy, chips, fast food, and generally most things processed

    Just thought I'd share and keep you all beautiful and healthy forever -- if you've got anything new/different etc. please share
  3. Professional Member
    JanSz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,631
    Rep Power
    2414

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ClintCanada View Post
    I'm 33 yrs old and just wanted to share some things I do fight the aging process -- and stay 'healthy'
    I take daily:
    grape seed extract (anti-oxidant and cardio & skin health)
    omega 3-6-9 (cholesterol . . . lots of benefits with this one)
    drink plain green tea instead of coffee (anti-oxidant)
    saw palmetto (prostate)
    finasteride (hair loss & prostate)
    minoxidil (rogaine) for hair loss
    nizoral shampoo (hair loss)
    tretinoin and alpha-hydroxy acid skin lotion before bed (for skin rejuv) -- in Canada this is by prescription -- see a dermantologist -- costs about $20 for 2 months
    good spf skin lotion in the morning prior to leaving the house (neutrogena spf 45)
    CoQ10 (for heart & anti-oxidant)
    Greens (contains so many herbs and green stuff -- loaded with anti-oxidants and other goodies)
    solid weight training and cardio
    multi-vitamin
    lots of water
    try to maintain approx 20g of fibre per day
    6-7 small meals per day (ensuring fruits, veggies, nuts, complex carbs, healthy fats, protein in each meal basically nutritous whole foods with low GI if possible)
    -oh and for the eys some decent sunglasses when outdoors whenever possible that have UVA and UVB protection
    -8 hrs sleep whenever possible (ya I know not often possible)

    maybe more importantly here's what I AVOID
    -drinking straight tap water because of chlorine and flouride when possible (sometimes you gotta drink it, and better that than go without imo)
    -soda drinks -- regular OR diet (sugar or nuerotoxin take your pick)
    -recreational drugs, cigarettes, drinking to extremes
    -white rice, bread, potatoes (subsitute for whole grain and sweet potatoes/yams)
    -trans fats
    -candy, chips, fast food, and generally most things processed

    Just thought I'd share and keep you all beautiful and healthy forever -- if you've got anything new/different etc. please share
    Thanks for posting your way.
    There is only one body we get, we have to take best care of it that we can.

    This test (series of tests) will tell you how good job you are doing in taking care of your body.
    It will tell you if you have any inbalances and will tell you how to correct them.

    On the end you will get (if any) list of supplements to take and their daily doses that would bring you to optimal state.
    This is you answer about vitamins, minerals or other supplements that your body may be missing.


    I hang my hopes on this.
    I am 67yo

    The tests:

    GDX NutrEval Profile
    GDX NutrEval Profile

    Genova Diagnostics EstroEssence
    Genova Diagnostics EstroEssence
    ============================== ============================== =======================
    Be real carefull with Finasteride, Proscar, duosteride, Avodart.
    Best, do not use any of it.
    --------------------------

    Do not avoid contact with environment.
    Not that one have to stink, but, to some extend too much of hygiene is counterproductive.
    Spend some time in the wild, woods, nature, pig stye, barn with cows, touch animals, cows, horses, pigs, dogs, cats.
    Think friendly bacteria. Think antibodies.

    Other than good health, it helps prevent Montezuma Revenge while traveling South of the boarder.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    superone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    294

    Reputation

    Over the top rage of DHT or not, people with hairloss will still loose hair even if their DHT is normal, as their hair is sensative to DHT period.


    I dont think using Finesteride/Dutasteride can cause long term problems, just doesnt make any sense to me. If it leaves you shut down for some reason get on some PCT and get some blood work done.


    Every time ive quit, any sides i had went away after 2-3 weeks.


    I dont think DHT is the bad guy either, but using Finesteride/Dutasteride with an Aromatase inhibiter like Aromasin, and low dose Testosterone ( 100mg per week ), i think you have the best of all worlds since DHT can inflame the prostate, and does have negative effects to some degree, though Estradiol seems to be the main culprit in the "presence" of low androgens.
  5. Professional Member
    JanSz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,631
    Rep Power
    2414

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by superone View Post
    Over the top rage of DHT or not, people with hairloss will still loose hair even if their DHT is normal, as their hair is sensative to DHT period.


    I dont think using Finesteride/Dutasteride can cause long term problems, just doesnt make any sense to me. If it leaves you shut down for some reason get on some post cycle therapy and get some blood work done.


    Every time ive quit, any sides i had went away after 2-3 weeks.


    I dont think DHT is the bad guy either, but using Finesteride/Dutasteride with an Aromatase inhibiter like Aromasin, and low dose Testosterone ( 100mg per week ), i think you have the best of all worlds since DHT can inflame the prostate, and does have negative effects to some degree, though Estradiol seems to be the main culprit in the "presence" of low androgens.
    I am lucky former Proscar/Avodart user.
    Very vew people are affected very badly by finasteride,
    but,
    that is russian roulette.
  6. New Member
    Joejoebaggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    62
    Rep Power
    120

    Reputation

    DROP THE FINASTERIDE, IT WILL EFF YOU UP.

    Trust me.
  7. ClintCanada
    Guest
    ClintCanada's Avatar

    ok sounds like I need to take another look at the finasteride . . . other than that -- I 'think' I'm living pretty healthy comparatively and doing what I can to age well . . . am I missing anything obvious ? ?
  8. New Member
    BigAk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    291
    Rep Power
    244

    Reputation

    how many years have you been doing this Clint??

    .
  9. New Member
    superone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    294

    Reputation

    Guys, i would love to hear some reasons why Finesteride will mess you up, other than the low DHT it will cause, which should return to normal once quitting.


    I wouldnt use Finesteride without an AI and some other stuff, but still, im interested to hear about how it will mess you up.



    Just saying it will mess you up without even explaining the reasons or posting some info doesnt help anybody.



    Ive come across some information stating that Finesteride/Dutasteride may even be neuroprotective.



    "We've speculated often here that because of its (weak) inhibition of brain 5AR type I, finasteride may have deleterious effects on the brain that are mediated by some sort of allopregnanalone deficiency. Seemingly in opposition to this, following patent document claims that finasteride actually has neuroprotective effects:

    http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?IA= ... SPLAY=DESC

    "Due to these previously unknown neuroprotective effects, Finasteride, Dutasteride and related compounds are suitable as cytoprotective and particularly neuroprotective drugs and new lead structures for the development and optimization of new therapeutic compounds."

    "Whereas control cells had a surviving rate 4.8 ± 3.4% (number of cells at first stimulation: 189 and number of cells at second stimulation after chemical ischemia: 9), Finasteride-treated (1 ?M) cells had a surviving rate of 72.1 ± 4.4%..."

    2.7 Conclusions

    Our results clearly show that Finasteride, Dutasteride and related compounds can exert neuroprotective effects in different experimental paradigms, related to human neurodegenerative diseases and conditions, like epilepsy, Morbus Alzheimer, Morbus Parkinson and others, via a novel mechanism which involves voltage-gated potassium channel beta subunits (Kvbeta) and several members of SLC family, (in particular Ant1 of the MPTP) as, previously unknown targets of the compound. The direct effects

    on functional potassium channels are relatively small, but measurable. We have indications, that the AKR6-function of Kvbeta is important in modulating other ionotropic ligand-gated channels, like GABAA-, ?7-nicotinic and NMDA receptors, from the latter in particular those with NR2B subunits (which are supposed to be regulated by steroids). In the brain this target may play an important role, whereas the original target, 5-?-dehydrogenase plays a minor role in the brain.

    A clear effect can however be quantified on the level of the MPTP by a fluorescent assay employing Rhodamine-123, the most important major factor in the induction of the so-called intrinsic apoptotic (mitochondrial) pathway. Finasteride and Dutasteride clearly inhibit in a dose-dependent manner the opening of the mitochondrial pore, moreover in a concentration range which corresponds to the respective range of neuroprotective effects in in vitro and in vivo assays (Figs. 2 & 3, 8). Without wishing to be bound by theory, we conclude that the binding of Finasteride and Dutasteride to various members of the solute carrier family 25 (SLC 25) is responsible for this effect, in particular binding to Ant1 , an essential constituent of the MPTP is assumed to underlying the neuroprotective effects and the inhibition of MPTP opening, and thus induction of intrinsic mitochondrial apoptotic pathways.

    This property of Finasteride, Dutasteride and related compounds was previously unknown and allows the conclusion that Finasteride/Dutasteride/Dutasteride and related compounds may be used as cytoprotective, e.g. neuroprotective agents for medical applications.

    The neuroprotective properties of Finasteride, Dutasteride and related compounds are rather due to this hitherto unknown multiple mode of action, which became apparent by a focussed drug repositioning program."
  10. ClintCanada
    Guest
    ClintCanada's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAk View Post
    how many years have you been doing this Clint??

    .
    Well, I've picked things up along the way . . . the finasteride and hair stuff about 2 yrs.
    The CoQ10, grape seed (and other ancillaries) about 4 yrs when I ran my first (of four) pro-hormone/steroid cycles.
    about 10 yrs ago my optomitrist basically said that going outdoors without eye protection these days because of the ozone problems can lead to major problems in old age, so I try to wear the sunglasses . . .
    the tretinoin & aha creams at night and spf skin cream in the morning about 3 months -- and not be too fruity but my skin seriously looks decent -- major rejuv here -- I would say my skin is similar to when I was in my early 20's
    I changed out coffee for green tea over the last year . . .
    basically I'm just trying to continue to learn how to develope healthy habbits to live long and have a good quality of life as I age . . .
    I don't want to look back and be like 'man it sure would be nice to be able to see or be able to walk now or avoid that triple by-pass surgery . . . '
    and of course on the dental hygeine note I've been told there's no reason you can't keep these to old age, so with brushing (soft bristle) and daily flossing I'm on track . . .
  11. ClintCanada
    Guest
    ClintCanada's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by JanSz View Post
    Thanks for posting your way.
    There is only one body we get, we have to take best care of it that we can.

    This test (series of tests) will tell you how good job you are doing in taking care of your body.
    It will tell you if you have any inbalances and will tell you how to correct them.

    On the end you will get (if any) list of supplements to take and their daily doses that would bring you to optimal state.
    This is you answer about vitamins, minerals or other supplements that your body may be missing.


    I hang my hopes on this.
    I am 67yo

    The tests:

    GDX NutrEval Profile
    GDX NutrEval Profile

    Genova Diagnostics EstroEssence
    Genova Diagnostics EstroEssence
    ============================== ============================== =======================
    Be real carefull with Finasteride, Proscar, duosteride, Avodart.
    Best, do not use any of it.
    --------------------------

    Do not avoid contact with environment.
    Not that one have to stink, but, to some extend too much of hygiene is counterproductive.
    Spend some time in the wild, woods, nature, pig stye, barn with cows, touch animals, cows, horses, pigs, dogs, cats.
    Think friendly bacteria. Think antibodies.

    Other than good health, it helps prevent Montezuma Revenge while traveling South of the boarder.
    Thanks for a great reply -- you've given me allot to think about . . . .
  12. Professional Member
    JanSz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,631
    Rep Power
    2414

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ClintCanada View Post
    Well, I've picked things up along the way . . . the finasteride and hair stuff about 2 yrs.
    The CoQ10, grape seed (and other ancillaries) about 4 yrs when I ran my first (of four) pro-hormone/steroid cycles.
    about 10 yrs ago my optomitrist basically said that going outdoors without eye protection these days because of the ozone problems can lead to major problems in old age, so I try to wear the sunglasses . . .
    the tretinoin & aha creams at night and spf skin cream in the morning about 3 months -- and not be too fruity but my skin seriously looks decent -- major rejuv here -- I would say my skin is similar to when I was in my early 20's
    I changed out coffee for green tea over the last year . . .
    basically I'm just trying to continue to learn how to develope healthy habbits to live long and have a good quality of life as I age . . .
    I don't want to look back and be like 'man it sure would be nice to be able to see or be able to walk now or avoid that triple by-pass surgery . . . '
    and of course on the dental hygeine note I've been told there's no reason you can't keep these to old age, so with brushing (soft bristle) and daily flossing I'm on track . . .
    What is tretinoin and does it work?

    What is tretinoin and does it work?

    "Tretinoin is a prescription medication, which requires an order from your physician. It is marketed by various of pharmaceutical companies as Altinac™; Avita®; RENOVA®; Retin-A™; Retin-A® Micro."

    "Tretinoin is a safe and effective topical treatment premature aging of the skin. Tretinoin has been proven to improved mild sun damage, fine wrinkles and discoloration if used as part of with a comprehensive skin care program. "

    "Using this medication will make your skin much more sun-sensitive. If you are exposed to excessive sunlight, your skin will be more quickly and severely sunburned. So make sure to use sunscreen, wear a hat and avoid excessive sun exposure. "

    "Topical creams available over the counter (with a doctor's prescription) may contain derivatives of tretinoin. However, these are not in the concentrations used in clinical trials which showed measurable benefits. Non-prescription preparatin are also not subject to government (FDA) regulation. The accuracy of the ingeredients, concentrations and product cinsistencyin unregulated "cosmeceuticals" is not verified by any agency. No one can really be sure of their effectiveness. "

    "Tretinoin available by prescription ranges from a concentration of 0.025% to 0.1% in cream vehicle. Gel vehicle which pentrates the skin better is available in concentrations of 0.01% to .025%. Tretinoin preparations cost between $60-$115 for a 40g tube. Typically, this should last for 4-6 months of treatment. Renova (Ortho Biotech Inc) costs $115 40g tube or $135 for 60g tube. Generic tretinoin (Spear) costs $75 for a 20g tube. Other manufactures offer comparable products at similar costs. "
  13. Banned
    pudzian2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,476
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    saw palmetto and nettle root should be good natural ways to keep your prostate healthy. the topical shampoos would be good for hairloss, and the combination would be much healthier than fina.
  14. New Member
    superone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    294

    Reputation

    LOL topicals shampoo's wont stop your hairloss if your prone, even topical solutions wont.


    If it were that easy then everybody would be doing it and not be on Finesteride/Dutasteride.



    If you really want to keep your hair, which makes you look a LOT younger, dont drop the propecia, trust me.



    Everybody i know and read about who quits propecia, ends up losing a **** load of hair, and ends up back on the drug, and you may not regain what you lost.
  15. New Member
    muslhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    167

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by pudzian2 View Post
    saw palmetto and nettle root should be good natural ways to keep your prostate healthy. the topical shampoos would be good for hairloss, and the combination would be much healthier than fina.
    May want to reconsider saw palmetto in your daily regimine. Of course if you dont mind wasting your money.


    Saw palmetto has no effect on prostate swelling
    February 15, 2006 in Men's Health, Vitamins, Minerals, Antioxidants and Supplements, Nutrition Topics in the News

    New research published in the February 2006 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine has found saw palmetto has no effect on swelling of the prostate, contradicting previous findings about the herb. Previous studies, including a meta analysis of 18 clinical studies, have suggested that saw palmetto is effective in treating mild to moderate symptoms related to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), a non-cancerous swelling of the prostate gland in older men.

    This latest study, a double-blind randomized trial, followed 225 men with an average age of 63 who had moderate to severe symptoms of BPH. The group of men was divided into two groups; one received 160 mg of saw palmetto on a daily basis, while the other group received a placebo. Similar findings were reported between the two groups.


    MH
  16. New Member
    RPHMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    184

    Reputation

    I wouldn't write off saw palmetto with one study. There have been others including one head to head with proscar that showed significant improvements.

    Clint, might also look at resveratrol, lycopene, and alpha lipoic acid.
  17. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774630

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by muslhead;
    May want to reconsider saw palmetto in your daily regimine. Of course if you dont mind wasting your money.


    Saw palmetto has no effect on prostate swelling
    February 15, 2006 in Men's Health, Vitamins, Minerals, Antioxidants and Supplements, Nutrition Topics in the News

    New research published in the February 2006 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine has found saw palmetto has no effect on swelling of the prostate, contradicting previous findings about the herb. Previous studies, including a meta analysis of 18 clinical studies, have suggested that saw palmetto is effective in treating mild to moderate symptoms related to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), a non-cancerous swelling of the prostate gland in older men.

    This latest study, a double-blind randomized trial, followed 225 men with an average age of 63 who had moderate to severe symptoms of BPH. The group of men was divided into two groups; one received 160 mg of saw palmetto on a daily basis, while the other group received a placebo. Similar findings were reported between the two groups.


    MH
    First, it is always important to check who the sponsors of the study are. Second, one study may not be enough to knock-out Saw Palmetto. Third, the effects of Saw Palmetto are dose-dependent. The classic combination is still Saw Palmetto, Pygeum, and Nettle Root with enough Beta-Sitosterols.
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  18. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774630

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ClintCanada;
    ok sounds like I need to take another look at the finasteride . . . other than that -- I 'think' I'm living pretty healthy comparatively and doing what I can to age well . . . am I missing anything obvious ? ?
    Looks like a pretty solid list, if you sort out the Finasteride angle. I might suggest to look at compounds that support cognitive function (one or more of Idebenone, Galantamine, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Acetyl-L-Carnitine Arginate, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and such like).

    Furthermore, you might want to look at Resveratrol. Resveratrol mimics the effects of calorie restriction. Resveratrol is also a potent anti-inflammatory, improves cardiovascular function, exhibits anti-mutagenic effects, is anti-fugal, regulates protein synthesis in DNA, acts as a potent anti-oxidant, supports endothelial cell-wall integrity, and so on. Resveratrol acts synergistically with quercetin and grape seed extract.
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  19. ClintCanada
    Guest
    ClintCanada's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    Looks like a pretty solid list, if you sort out the Finasteride angle. I might suggest to look at compounds that support cognitive function (one or more of Idebenone, Galantamine, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Acetyl-L-Carnitine Arginate, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and such like).

    Furthermore, you might want to look at Resveratrol. Resveratrol mimics the effects of calorie restriction. Resveratrol is also a potent anti-inflammatory, improves cardiovascular function, exhibits anti-mutagenic effects, is anti-fugal, regulates protein synthesis in DNA, acts as a potent anti-oxidant, supports endothelial cell-wall integrity, and so on. Resveratrol acts synergistically with quercetin and grape seed extract.
    Ok -- I'm going to look into these, thanks
  20. ClintCanada
    Guest
    ClintCanada's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by JanSz View Post
    What is tretinoin and does it work?

    What is tretinoin and does it work?

    "Tretinoin is a prescription medication, which requires an order from your physician. It is marketed by various of pharmaceutical companies as Altinac™; Avita®; RENOVA®; Retin-A™; Retin-A® Micro."

    "Tretinoin is a safe and effective topical treatment premature aging of the skin. Tretinoin has been proven to improved mild sun damage, fine wrinkles and discoloration if used as part of with a comprehensive skin care program. "

    "Using this medication will make your skin much more sun-sensitive. If you are exposed to excessive sunlight, your skin will be more quickly and severely sunburned. So make sure to use sunscreen, wear a hat and avoid excessive sun exposure. "

    This is why my dermatologist has recommended (and I use) the nutrogena SPF 45 daily moisturize every morning. Even if you aren't using tretinoin and want to maintain the look of your skin -- a huge help in this area is a good daily sunscreen and moisturizer. UVA and UVB are the big culprits in wreaking havoc on your cologen (or so I'm told).
    My dermatologist mentioned that years ago when they realized (especially in the North like Canada) that there were problems with the ozone filtering UVA and UVB they recommended skin protection like SPF 10 or 15. They now realize these were far to weak and are recommending the 30 to 60 range . . .
  21. New Member
    muslhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    167

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by RPHMark View Post
    I wouldn't write off saw palmetto with one study. There have been others including one head to head with proscar that showed significant improvements.

    Clint, might also look at resveratrol, lycopene, and alpha lipoic acid.
    This isnt the only study there have been many that show its ineffectiveness.

    I am not writing it off only letting people know that as with all sups, YMMV

    MH
  22. Senior Member
    datBtrue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,173
    Rep Power
    838

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by muslhead View Post
    May want to reconsider saw palmetto in your daily regimine. Of course if you dont mind wasting your money.

    Saw palmetto has no effect on prostate swelling
    February 15, 2006 in Men's Health, Vitamins, Minerals, Antioxidants and Supplements, Nutrition Topics in the News

    New research published in the February 2006 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine has found saw palmetto has no effect on swelling of the prostate, contradicting previous findings about the herb. Previous studies, including a meta analysis of 18 clinical studies, have suggested that saw palmetto is effective in treating mild to moderate symptoms related to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), a non-cancerous swelling of the prostate gland in older men.

    This latest study, a double-blind randomized trial, followed 225 men with an average age of 63 who had moderate to severe symptoms of BPH. The group of men was divided into two groups; one received 160 mg of saw palmetto on a daily basis, while the other group received a placebo. Similar findings were reported between the two groups.
    No its probably not a waste of money muslhead unless your prostate is already too far gone and you are a senior citizen...then maybe it is.
  23. New Member
    muslhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    167

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by datBtrue View Post
    No its probably not a waste of money muslhead unless your prostate is already too far gone and you are a senior citizen...then maybe it is.
    Thanks very much for your valued opinion Dat it has improved my life immensely .


    MH
  24. Senior Member
    datBtrue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,173
    Rep Power
    838

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by muslhead View Post
    Thanks very much for your valued opinion Dat it has improved my life immensely .
    No opinion bro. You said it was a waste of money...previous studies indicate that it is not. It is prescribed extensively in Germany and there are plenty of studies that indicate that it is of benefit. You even referenced one.

    The study that indicates "no benefit" focused on older men with moderate to severe swelling... this is a different study group then what was focused on before with a focus on looking for a remedy rather than a preventitive measure.

    Those that conducted this particular study are trying to figure out why they got the results they did. They are not convinced that the results are an absolute or definitive.

    As an aside a huge processing plant for Saw Palmetto is just about operational and it will drive Saw Palmetto prices lower.

    So I don't think the facts as they exist today warrant your conclusion that Saw Palmetto is a waste of money.

    Why be sarcastic bro? There really was no need for that.
  25. Banned
    pudzian2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,476
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by datBtrue View Post
    No opinion bro. You said it was a waste of money...previous studies indicate that it is not. It is prescribed extensively in Germany and there are plenty of studies that indicate that it is of benefit. You even referenced one.

    The study that indicates "no benefit" focused on older men with moderate to severe swelling... this is a different study group then what was focused on before with a focus on looking for a remedy rather than a preventitive measure.

    Those that conducted this particular study are trying to figure out why they got the results they did. They are not convinced that the results are an absolute or definitive.

    As an aside a huge processing plant for Saw Palmetto is just about operational and it will drive Saw Palmetto prices lower.

    So I don't think the facts as they exist today warrant your conclusion that Saw Palmetto is a waste of money.

    Why be sarcastic bro? There really was no need for that.
    I agree. Saw Palmetto has been around for a long time and becuase of its nature it is commonly used as a preventive measure against prostate enlargement. It may not CURE or REVERSE it like some "drugs" but prevention is key.!
  26. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774630

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by pudzian2 View Post
    I agree. Saw Palmetto has been around for a long time and becuase of its nature it is commonly used as a preventive measure against prostate enlargement. It may not CURE or REVERSE it like some "drugs" but prevention is key.!
    Depending on the state of the affliction, Saw Palmetto can demonstrate reversal and curative effects. Something else I find missing in the discussion is that Saw Palmetto, like many other supplements, is dose-dependent. A one-size-fits-all recommendation in terms of dosage is certainly misguided. Someone using Saw Palmetto as a preventive may dose differently from someone afflicted with a prostate condition. Besides, Saw Palmetto has always worked synergistically with Pygeum, Nettle Root, and a good dose of Beta-Sitosterols. The compound(s) work(s)
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  27. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774630

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ClintCanada View Post
    ...
    Just thought I'd share and keep you all beautiful and healthy forever -- if you've got anything new/different etc. please share
    What did you decide to do?
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  28. New Member
    asap1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    97

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ClintCanada View Post
    ok sounds like I need to take another look at the finasteride . . . other than that -- I 'think' I'm living pretty healthy comparatively and doing what I can to age well . . . am I missing anything obvious ? ?
    I would definitely consider using more topical DHT inhibitors then using Finesteride.

    Topical DHT inhibitors would be less systemic then finasteride and that would also be one less pill your liver would have to metabolize.

    Also I would consider incorporating Alpha Lipioc Acid as a powerful anti-oxidant. I would also consider GH for possible anti-aging properties.
  29. New Member
    greatgro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    104

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ClintCanada View Post
    ok sounds like I need to take another look at the finasteride . . . other than that -- I 'think' I'm living pretty healthy comparatively and doing what I can to age well . . . am I missing anything obvious ? ?
    Vitamin D and lots of it. If you are putting 45 or more spf everytime you go in the sun you're going to be woefully low on Vitamin D (and in Canada, you're not getting enough sun to product enough D 70%+ of the year without spf!). Current theory suggests 2000-3500 IU of Vitamin D daily is optimal to greatly reduce cancer risk. Sounds like the only vitamin D you get is from food. I doubt you're getting much more than 400 IU. Without adding 2000IU or more of D3, your cancer risk may be many times higher than it should.

    Using spf all the time may reduce your risk of skin cancer but it may raise the risk of every other cancer many times over.
  30. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774630

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by greatgro;
    Vitamin D and lots of it. If you are putting 45 or more spf everytime you go in the sun you're going to be woefully low on Vitamin D (and in Canada, you're not getting enough sun to product enough D 70%+ of the year without spf!). Current theory suggests 2000-3500IU of Vitamin D daily is optimal to greatly reduce cancer risk. Sounds like the only vitamin D you get is from food. I doubt you're getting much more than 400 IU. Without adding 2000IU or more of D3, your cancer risk may be many times higher than it should.

    Using spf all the time may reduce your risk of skin cancer but it may raise the risk of every other cancer many times over.
    I presume you specifically meant the Vitamin D3, more precisely, the hormone cholecalciferol). I am aware of a daily recommendation of 1 000IU or slightly higher. The 2000IU - 3000IU you mentioned sounds more like a therapeutic dosage. Let's not forget that D3 is a hormone. I would not recommend dosing beyond 2000IU without doing any tests or without a medical practitioners' supervision
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  31. New Member
    greatgro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    104

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    I presume you specifically meant the Vitamin D3, more precisely, the hormone cholecalciferol).
    Yes if you reread you'll see I specifically said D3.
  32. New Member
    MarkLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    191

    Reputation

    I'm in LA, drive a convertible and was deficient in D3. It seems to be a widespread deficiency. Definitely worth looking at as it is implicated in Cancer, heart disease, mood, etc.

    D3 Oil based is recommended. D2 is not absorbed.

    I agree with strategicmove that testing is advised so you know where you are. I'm taking 2000 iu. Some people take more or less.

    Following is an interesting article on the subject of dosing D3:

    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...vitamin-d.html
  33. Banned
    pudzian2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,476
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    interesting. i was thinking of incorporating D3 at moderately low doses for its healthy benefits. I think that 1000IU is a good place to start assuming you arent high risk, being advised otherwise by a doctor etc.
  34. New Member
    CanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    95

    Reputation

    Good protocol, although that's a lot of anti DHT for a 33 y/o....

    gassing the starches alone should help lower DHT. Green tea caps work as well, and seem to also reduce E somewhat...

    Other DHT busters ;

    ALA + AL Carnitine ...

    zinc

    selenium

    Nettle root + Pygeum

    cayenne pepper

    pumpkin seed oil

    Kelp ( spike your libidio too, cuz it helps your thyroid )

    Pomegranate juice

    Sesame seeds

    Where in canada are you, Clint ?? i'm in the Newmarket area - FYI....
  35. ClintCanada
    Guest
    ClintCanada's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by CanMan View Post
    Good protocol, although that's a lot of anti DHT for a 33 y/o....

    gassing the starches alone should help lower DHT. Green tea caps work as well, and seem to also reduce E somewhat...

    Other DHT busters ;

    ALA + AL Carnitine ...

    zinc

    selenium

    Nettle root + Pygeum

    cayenne pepper

    pumpkin seed oil

    Kelp ( spike your libidio too, cuz it helps your thyroid )

    Pomegranate juice

    Sesame seeds

    Where in canada are you, Clint ?? i'm in the Newmarket area - FYI....

    Thanks for the info -- I'm in Edmonton, Alberta . . .
    The amount of anti-DHT I'm using is at least adequate because since I started I've gotten almost back a full head of hair . . .
  36. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774630

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by pudzian2 View Post
    interesting. i was thinking of incorporating D3 at moderately low doses for its healthy benefits. I think that 1000IU is a good place to start assuming you arent high risk, being advised otherwise by a doctor etc.
    Yep! 1000IU is a fine dose.
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  37. Advanced Member
    Dutchman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    72
    Posts
    533
    Rep Power
    520

    Reputation

    I read that the U.S. Institute of Medicine controls the recommendations on these dosages and they state that adults under 50 only need 200 IUs of vitamin D a day and by age 70 up it to 600 IUs ED. Many Doctors and Nutritionists now recommend 1000 to 1100 IUs ED. Since I have high regard for Dr. Michael Platt, (The Miracle of Bio-Identicle Hormones), I have worked my way up gradually to 5000 IUs ED, his recommended dosage for prevention of prostate cancer. He raises it to 20,000 IUs for treatment. By comparison his recommendation for treatment of Osteoporosis is 10,000 IUs. There are suppliers now on the market offering 100 caps of D3 @ 5000 IU each for $7 and change. There are as well, numerous reports supporting the safety of such high dosage. Below is one such,

    American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 86, No. 3, 645-651, September 2007
    © 2007 American Society for Nutrition

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    ORIGINAL RESEARCH COMMUNICATION

    Safety of vitamin D3 in adults with multiple sclerosis



    Samantha M Kimball, Melanie R Ursell, Paul O'Connor and Reinhold Vieth
    1 From the Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada (SMK and RV); the Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mt Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada (SMK and RV); and the Department of Medicine, Division of Neurology, St Michael's Hospital, Toronto, Canada (MRU and PO)


    Background: Vitamin D3 may have therapeutic potential in several diseases, including multiple sclerosis. High doses of vitamin D3 may be required for therapeutic efficacy, and yet tolerability—in the present context, defined as the serum concentration of 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] that does not cause hypercalcemia—remains poorly characterized.

    Objective: The objective of the study was to characterize the calcemic response to specific serum 25(OH)D concentrations.
    Design: In a 28-wk protocol, 12 patients in an active phase of multiple sclerosis were given 1200 mg elemental Ca/d along with progressively increasing doses of vitamin D3: from 700 to 7000 µg/wk (from 28 000 to 280 000 IU/wk).

    Results: Mean (± SD) serum concentrations of 25(OH)D initially were 78 ± 35 nmol/L and rose to 386 ± 157 nmol/L (P < 0.001). Serum calcium concentrations and the urinary ratio of calcium to creatinine neither increased in mean values nor exceeded reference values for any participant (2.1–2.6 mmol/L and <1.0, respectively). Liver enzymes, serum creatinine, electrolytes, serum protein, and parathyroid hormone did not change according to Bonferroni repeated-measures statistics, although parathyroid hormone did decline significantly according to the paired t test. Disease progression and activity were not affected, but the number of gadolinium-enhancing lesions per patient (assessed with a nuclear magnetic brain scan) decreased from the initial mean of 1.75 to the end-of-study mean of 0.83 (P = 0.03).

    Conclusions: Patients' serum 25(OH)D concentrations reached twice the top of the physiologic range without eliciting hypercalcemia or hypercalciuria. The data support the feasibility of pharmacologic doses of vitamin D3 for clinical research, and they provide objective evidence that vitamin D intake beyond the current upper limit is safe by a large margin.
  38. New Member
    CanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    95

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ClintCanada View Post
    Thanks for the info -- I'm in Edmonton, Alberta . . .
    The amount of anti-DHT I'm using is at least adequate because since I started I've gotten almost back a full head of hair . . .
    Wild Rose Country, right on..... I play hockey with a dude from Vermillion, north of there....

    UR DHT musta been off the charts b4 you went on the DHT busters. Hey, if it's working , keep on keepin on.... I just find Saw P makes me sleepy and hungry, but I'm 42 so .....:-)
  39. New Member
    RichTan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    138

    Reputation

    "Tretinoin is a prescription medication, which requires an order from your physician. It is marketed by various of pharmaceutical companies as Altinac™; Avita®; RENOVA®; Retin-A™; Retin-A® Micro."

    "Tretinoin is a safe and effective topical treatment premature aging of the skin. Tretinoin has been proven to improved mild sun damage, fine wrinkles and discoloration if used as part of with a comprehensive skin care program. "

    "Using this medication will make your skin much more sun-sensitive. If you are exposed to excessive sunlight, your skin will be more quickly and severely sunburned. So make sure to use sunscreen, wear a hat and avoid excessive sun exposure. "

    "Topical creams available over the counter (with a doctor's prescription) may contain derivatives of tretinoin. However, these are not in the concentrations used in clinical trials which showed measurable benefits. Non-prescription preparatin are also not subject to government (FDA) regulation. The accuracy of the ingeredients, concentrations and product cinsistencyin unregulated "cosmeceuticals" is not verified by any agency. No one can really be sure of their effectiveness. "

    "Tretinoin available by prescription ranges from a concentration of 0.025% to 0.1% in cream vehicle. Gel vehicle which pentrates the skin better is available in concentrations of 0.01% to .025%. Tretinoin preparations cost between $60-$115 for a 40g tube. Typically, this should last for 4-6 months of treatment. Renova (Ortho Biotech Inc) costs $115 40g tube or $135 for 60g tube. Generic tretinoin (Spear) costs $75 for a 20g tube. Other manufactures offer comparable products at similar costs. "
    [/QUOTE]

    I have white spots some as large as a quarter. Presently I'm taking CJC 1295 and GHRP-6 along with Retin-A. I'll report back on the progress.
  40. New Member
    annielizstan's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  45 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    36

    Reputation

    Hi,

    Wear Sunscreen:
    you should choose a sunscreen with a 30 SPF or higher. Sunscreen will protect your skin against the damaging UV rays of the sun, which can lead to wrinkles, brown spots, and even skin cancer. The use of sunscreen is the most simple anti-aging skin tip. Make sure you use it every day, even on cloudy days.

    Use Moisturizer:
    Use a moisturizer twice a day for your skin type. For instance, if you have normal skin, use a light water-based moisturizer. For dry skin, use an oil-based moisturizer. Even oily skin needs moisture. Use a moisturizer that states it is oil-free to decrease breakouts.

    Don't Smoke:
    Smoking is not only bad for the heart and lungs, but it damages the collagen and elastin in your skin.you must quit smoking.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Tea: the New Anti-Aging Beverage?
    By yeahright in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2006, 03:55 PM
  2. HGH illegal as anti-aging treatment
    By 200wannabe in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-01-2005, 04:18 PM
  3. International Anti-Aging Systems anyone use?
    By Grifter in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 04:34 PM
  4. The Cost of Anti-Aging Clinics' Products
    By Josey Wales in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 07:57 PM
  5. Anti-Aging effects of GH/IGF-1 by Ronald Katz, MD
    By Dwight Schrute in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 10:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in