Daily Anti-Aging Routine

ClintCanada

I'm 33 yrs old and just wanted to share some things I do fight the aging process -- and stay 'healthy'
I take daily:
grape seed extract (anti-oxidant and cardio & skin health)
omega 3-6-9 (cholesterol . . . lots of benefits with this one)
drink plain green tea instead of coffee (anti-oxidant)
saw palmetto (prostate)
finasteride (hair loss & prostate)
minoxidil (rogaine) for hair loss
nizoral shampoo (hair loss)
tretinoin and alpha-hydroxy acid skin lotion before bed (for skin rejuv) -- in Canada this is by prescription -- see a dermantologist -- costs about $20 for 2 months
good spf skin lotion in the morning prior to leaving the house (neutrogena spf 45)
CoQ10 (for heart & anti-oxidant)
Greens (contains so many herbs and green stuff -- loaded with anti-oxidants and other goodies)
solid weight training and cardio
multi-vitamin
lots of water
try to maintain approx 20g of fibre per day
6-7 small meals per day (ensuring fruits, veggies, nuts, complex carbs, healthy fats, protein in each meal basically nutritous whole foods with low GI if possible)
-oh and for the eys some decent sunglasses when outdoors whenever possible that have UVA and UVB protection
-8 hrs sleep whenever possible (ya I know not often possible)

maybe more importantly here's what I AVOID
-drinking straight tap water because of chlorine and flouride when possible (sometimes you gotta drink it, and better that than go without imo)
-soda drinks -- regular OR diet (sugar or nuerotoxin take your pick)
-recreational drugs, cigarettes, drinking to extremes
-white rice, bread, potatoes (subsitute for whole grain and sweet potatoes/yams)
-trans fats
-candy, chips, fast food, and generally most things processed

Just thought I'd share and keep you all beautiful and healthy forever -- if you've got anything new/different etc. please share

wondering

Awards
looks good, except for the Finasteride.... but some don't have issues with it. But, I still wonder if those that don't have short term issues (sexual) may have long term problems.

I don't think reducing DHT (unless over the top) is good for prostate. Seems it's estrogens that may be the bad guy here and I believe by reducing DHT, Finasteride forces hormones to Estrogens instead.

I'm 33 yrs old and just wanted to share some things I do fight the aging process -- and stay 'healthy'
I take daily:
saw palmetto (prostate)
tretinoin and alpha-hydroxy acid skin lotion before bed (for skin rejuv) -- in Canada this is by prescription -- see a dermantologist -- costs about $20 for 2 months
good spf skin lotion in the morning prior to leaving the house (neutrogena spf 45)
Greens (contains so many herbs and green stuff -- loaded with anti-oxidants and other goodies)
multi-vitamin
lots of water
6-7 small meals per day (ensuring fruits, veggies, nuts, complex carbs, healthy fats, protein in each meal basically nutritous whole foods with low GI if possible)
-oh and for the eys some decent sunglasses when outdoors whenever possible that have UVA and UVB protection

-drinking straight tap water because of chlorine and flouride when possible (sometimes you gotta drink it, and better that than go without imo)
-white rice, bread, potatoes (subsitute for whole grain and sweet potatoes/yams)
-trans fats

Just thought I'd share and keep you all beautiful and healthy forever -- if you've got anything new/different etc. please share

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I take daily:
saw palmetto (prostate)
multi-vitamin
lots of water

-trans fats

Thanks for posting your way.
There is only one body we get, we have to take best care of it that we can.

This test (series of tests) will tell you how good job you are doing in taking care of your body.
It will tell you if you have any inbalances and will tell you how to correct them.

On the end you will get (if any) list of supplements to take and their daily doses that would bring you to optimal state.
This is you answer about vitamins, minerals or other supplements that your body may be missing.

I hang my hopes on this.
I am 67yo

The tests:

GDX NutrEval Profile
GDX NutrEval Profile

Genova Diagnostics EstroEssence
===================================================================================
Be real carefull with Finasteride, Proscar, duosteride, Avodart.
Best, do not use any of it.
--------------------------

Do not avoid contact with environment.
Not that one have to stink, but, to some extend too much of hygiene is counterproductive.
Spend some time in the wild, woods, nature, pig stye, barn with cows, touch animals, cows, horses, pigs, dogs, cats.
Think friendly bacteria. Think antibodies.

Other than good health, it helps prevent Montezuma Revenge while traveling South of the boarder.

superone

Awards
  • Established
Over the top rage of DHT or not, people with hairloss will still loose hair even if their DHT is normal, as their hair is sensative to DHT period.

I dont think using Finesteride/Dutasteride can cause long term problems, just doesnt make any sense to me. If it leaves you shut down for some reason get on some PCT and get some blood work done.

Every time ive quit, any sides i had went away after 2-3 weeks.

I dont think DHT is the bad guy either, but using Finesteride/Dutasteride with an Aromatase inhibiter like Aromasin, and low dose Testosterone ( 100mg per week ), i think you have the best of all worlds since DHT can inflame the prostate, and does have negative effects to some degree, though Estradiol seems to be the main culprit in the "presence" of low androgens.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Over the top rage of DHT or not, people with hairloss will still loose hair even if their DHT is normal, as their hair is sensative to DHT period.

I dont think using Finesteride/Dutasteride can cause long term problems, just doesnt make any sense to me. If it leaves you shut down for some reason get on some post cycle therapy and get some blood work done.

Every time ive quit, any sides i had went away after 2-3 weeks.

I dont think DHT is the bad guy either, but using Finesteride/Dutasteride with an Aromatase inhibiter like Aromasin, and low dose Testosterone ( 100mg per week ), i think you have the best of all worlds since DHT can inflame the prostate, and does have negative effects to some degree, though Estradiol seems to be the main culprit in the "presence" of low androgens.
I am lucky former Proscar/Avodart user.
Very vew people are affected very badly by finasteride,
but,
that is russian roulette.

Joejoebaggins

Joejoebaggins

Awards
DROP THE FINASTERIDE, IT WILL EFF YOU UP.

Trust me.

ClintCanada

ok sounds like I need to take another look at the finasteride . . . other than that -- I 'think' I'm living pretty healthy comparatively and doing what I can to age well . . . am I missing anything obvious ? ?

BigAk

Awards
  • Established
how many years have you been doing this Clint??

superone

Awards
  • Established
Guys, i would love to hear some reasons why Finesteride will mess you up, other than the low DHT it will cause, which should return to normal once quitting.

I wouldnt use Finesteride without an AI and some other stuff, but still, im interested to hear about how it will mess you up.

Just saying it will mess you up without even explaining the reasons or posting some info doesnt help anybody.

Ive come across some information stating that Finesteride/Dutasteride may even be neuroprotective.

"We've speculated often here that because of its (weak) inhibition of brain 5AR type I, finasteride may have deleterious effects on the brain that are mediated by some sort of allopregnanalone deficiency. Seemingly in opposition to this, following patent document claims that finasteride actually has neuroprotective effects:

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?IA= ... SPLAY=DESC

"Due to these previously unknown neuroprotective effects, Finasteride, Dutasteride and related compounds are suitable as cytoprotective and particularly neuroprotective drugs and new lead structures for the development and optimization of new therapeutic compounds."

"Whereas control cells had a surviving rate 4.8 ± 3.4% (number of cells at first stimulation: 189 and number of cells at second stimulation after chemical ischemia: 9), Finasteride-treated (1 ?M) cells had a surviving rate of 72.1 ± 4.4%..."

2.7 Conclusions

Our results clearly show that Finasteride, Dutasteride and related compounds can exert neuroprotective effects in different experimental paradigms, related to human neurodegenerative diseases and conditions, like epilepsy, Morbus Alzheimer, Morbus Parkinson and others, via a novel mechanism which involves voltage-gated potassium channel beta subunits (Kvbeta) and several members of SLC family, (in particular Ant1 of the MPTP) as, previously unknown targets of the compound. The direct effects

on functional potassium channels are relatively small, but measurable. We have indications, that the AKR6-function of Kvbeta is important in modulating other ionotropic ligand-gated channels, like GABAA-, ?7-nicotinic and NMDA receptors, from the latter in particular those with NR2B subunits (which are supposed to be regulated by steroids). In the brain this target may play an important role, whereas the original target, 5-?-dehydrogenase plays a minor role in the brain.

A clear effect can however be quantified on the level of the MPTP by a fluorescent assay employing Rhodamine-123, the most important major factor in the induction of the so-called intrinsic apoptotic (mitochondrial) pathway. Finasteride and Dutasteride clearly inhibit in a dose-dependent manner the opening of the mitochondrial pore, moreover in a concentration range which corresponds to the respective range of neuroprotective effects in in vitro and in vivo assays (Figs. 2 & 3, 8). Without wishing to be bound by theory, we conclude that the binding of Finasteride and Dutasteride to various members of the solute carrier family 25 (SLC 25) is responsible for this effect, in particular binding to Ant1 , an essential constituent of the MPTP is assumed to underlying the neuroprotective effects and the inhibition of MPTP opening, and thus induction of intrinsic mitochondrial apoptotic pathways.

This property of Finasteride, Dutasteride and related compounds was previously unknown and allows the conclusion that Finasteride/Dutasteride/Dutasteride and related compounds may be used as cytoprotective, e.g. neuroprotective agents for medical applications.

The neuroprotective properties of Finasteride, Dutasteride and related compounds are rather due to this hitherto unknown multiple mode of action, which became apparent by a focussed drug repositioning program."

ClintCanada

how many years have you been doing this Clint??

Well, I've picked things up along the way . . . the finasteride and hair stuff about 2 yrs.
The CoQ10, grape seed (and other ancillaries) about 4 yrs when I ran my first (of four) pro-hormone/steroid cycles.
about 10 yrs ago my optomitrist basically said that going outdoors without eye protection these days because of the ozone problems can lead to major problems in old age, so I try to wear the sunglasses . . .
the tretinoin & aha creams at night and spf skin cream in the morning about 3 months -- and not be too fruity but my skin seriously looks decent -- major rejuv here -- I would say my skin is similar to when I was in my early 20's
I changed out coffee for green tea over the last year . . .
basically I'm just trying to continue to learn how to develope healthy habbits to live long and have a good quality of life as I age . . .
I don't want to look back and be like 'man it sure would be nice to be able to see or be able to walk now or avoid that triple by-pass surgery . . . '
and of course on the dental hygeine note I've been told there's no reason you can't keep these to old age, so with brushing (soft bristle) and daily flossing I'm on track . . .

ClintCanada

Thanks for posting your way.
There is only one body we get, we have to take best care of it that we can.

This test (series of tests) will tell you how good job you are doing in taking care of your body.
It will tell you if you have any inbalances and will tell you how to correct them.

On the end you will get (if any) list of supplements to take and their daily doses that would bring you to optimal state.
This is you answer about vitamins, minerals or other supplements that your body may be missing.

I hang my hopes on this.
I am 67yo

The tests:

GDX NutrEval Profile
GDX NutrEval Profile

===================================================================================
Be real carefull with Finasteride, Proscar, duosteride, Avodart.
Best, do not use any of it.
--------------------------

Do not avoid contact with environment.
Not that one have to stink, but, to some extend too much of hygiene is counterproductive.
Spend some time in the wild, woods, nature, pig stye, barn with cows, touch animals, cows, horses, pigs, dogs, cats.
Think friendly bacteria. Think antibodies.

Other than good health, it helps prevent Montezuma Revenge while traveling South of the boarder.
Thanks for a great reply -- you've given me allot to think about . . . .

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Well, I've picked things up along the way . . . the finasteride and hair stuff about 2 yrs.
The CoQ10, grape seed (and other ancillaries) about 4 yrs when I ran my first (of four) pro-hormone/steroid cycles.
about 10 yrs ago my optomitrist basically said that going outdoors without eye protection these days because of the ozone problems can lead to major problems in old age, so I try to wear the sunglasses . . .
the tretinoin & aha creams at night and spf skin cream in the morning about 3 months -- and not be too fruity but my skin seriously looks decent -- major rejuv here -- I would say my skin is similar to when I was in my early 20's
I changed out coffee for green tea over the last year . . .
basically I'm just trying to continue to learn how to develope healthy habbits to live long and have a good quality of life as I age . . .
I don't want to look back and be like 'man it sure would be nice to be able to see or be able to walk now or avoid that triple by-pass surgery . . . '
and of course on the dental hygeine note I've been told there's no reason you can't keep these to old age, so with brushing (soft bristle) and daily flossing I'm on track . . .
What is tretinoin and does it work?

"Tretinoin is a prescription medication, which requires an order from your physician. It is marketed by various of pharmaceutical companies as Altinac™; Avita®; RENOVA®; Retin-A™; Retin-A® Micro."

"Tretinoin is a safe and effective topical treatment premature aging of the skin. Tretinoin has been proven to improved mild sun damage, fine wrinkles and discoloration if used as part of with a comprehensive skin care program. "

"Using this medication will make your skin much more sun-sensitive. If you are exposed to excessive sunlight, your skin will be more quickly and severely sunburned. So make sure to use sunscreen, wear a hat and avoid excessive sun exposure. "

"Topical creams available over the counter (with a doctor's prescription) may contain derivatives of tretinoin. However, these are not in the concentrations used in clinical trials which showed measurable benefits. Non-prescription preparatin are also not subject to government (FDA) regulation. The accuracy of the ingeredients, concentrations and product cinsistencyin unregulated "cosmeceuticals" is not verified by any agency. No one can really be sure of their effectiveness. "

"Tretinoin available by prescription ranges from a concentration of 0.025% to 0.1% in cream vehicle. Gel vehicle which pentrates the skin better is available in concentrations of 0.01% to .025%. Tretinoin preparations cost between $60-$115 for a 40g tube. Typically, this should last for 4-6 months of treatment. Renova (Ortho Biotech Inc) costs $115 40g tube or $135 for 60g tube. Generic tretinoin (Spear) costs $75 for a 20g tube. Other manufactures offer comparable products at similar costs. "

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
saw palmetto and nettle root should be good natural ways to keep your prostate healthy. the topical shampoos would be good for hairloss, and the combination would be much healthier than fina.

superone

Awards
  • Established
LOL topicals shampoo's wont stop your hairloss if your prone, even topical solutions wont.

If it were that easy then everybody would be doing it and not be on Finesteride/Dutasteride.

If you really want to keep your hair, which makes you look a LOT younger, dont drop the propecia, trust me.

Everybody i know and read about who quits propecia, ends up losing a **** load of hair, and ends up back on the drug, and you may not regain what you lost.

muslhead

Awards
saw palmetto and nettle root should be good natural ways to keep your prostate healthy. the topical shampoos would be good for hairloss, and the combination would be much healthier than fina.
May want to reconsider saw palmetto in your daily regimine. Of course if you dont mind wasting your money.

Saw palmetto has no effect on prostate swelling
February 15, 2006 in Men's Health, Vitamins, Minerals, Antioxidants and Supplements, Nutrition Topics in the News

New research published in the February 2006 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine has found saw palmetto has no effect on swelling of the prostate, contradicting previous findings about the herb. Previous studies, including a meta analysis of 18 clinical studies, have suggested that saw palmetto is effective in treating mild to moderate symptoms related to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), a non-cancerous swelling of the prostate gland in older men.

This latest study, a double-blind randomized trial, followed 225 men with an average age of 63 who had moderate to severe symptoms of BPH. The group of men was divided into two groups; one received 160 mg of saw palmetto on a daily basis, while the other group received a placebo. Similar findings were reported between the two groups.

MH

RPHMark

Awards
I wouldn't write off saw palmetto with one study. There have been others including one head to head with proscar that showed significant improvements.

Clint, might also look at resveratrol, lycopene, and alpha lipoic acid.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
May want to reconsider saw palmetto in your daily regimine. Of course if you dont mind wasting your money.

February 15, 2006 in Men's Health, Vitamins, Minerals, Antioxidants and Supplements, Nutrition Topics in the News

New research published in the February 2006 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine has found saw palmetto has no effect on swelling of the prostate, contradicting previous findings about the herb. Previous studies, including a meta analysis of 18 clinical studies, have suggested that saw palmetto is effective in treating mild to moderate symptoms related to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), a non-cancerous swelling of the prostate gland in older men.

This latest study, a double-blind randomized trial, followed 225 men with an average age of 63 who had moderate to severe symptoms of BPH. The group of men was divided into two groups; one received 160 mg of saw palmetto on a daily basis, while the other group received a placebo. Similar findings were reported between the two groups.

MH
First, it is always important to check who the sponsors of the study are. Second, one study may not be enough to knock-out Saw Palmetto. Third, the effects of Saw Palmetto are dose-dependent. The classic combination is still Saw Palmetto, Pygeum, and Nettle Root with enough Beta-Sitosterols.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
ok sounds like I need to take another look at the finasteride . . . other than that -- I 'think' I'm living pretty healthy comparatively and doing what I can to age well . . . am I missing anything obvious ? ?
Looks like a pretty solid list, if you sort out the Finasteride angle. I might suggest to look at compounds that support cognitive function (one or more of Idebenone, Galantamine, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Acetyl-L-Carnitine Arginate, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and such like).

Furthermore, you might want to look at Resveratrol. Resveratrol mimics the effects of calorie restriction. Resveratrol is also a potent anti-inflammatory, improves cardiovascular function, exhibits anti-mutagenic effects, is anti-fugal, regulates protein synthesis in DNA, acts as a potent anti-oxidant, supports endothelial cell-wall integrity, and so on. Resveratrol acts synergistically with quercetin and grape seed extract.

ClintCanada

Looks like a pretty solid list, if you sort out the Finasteride angle. I might suggest to look at compounds that support cognitive function (one or more of Idebenone, Galantamine, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Acetyl-L-Carnitine Arginate, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and such like).

Furthermore, you might want to look at Resveratrol. Resveratrol mimics the effects of calorie restriction. Resveratrol is also a potent anti-inflammatory, improves cardiovascular function, exhibits anti-mutagenic effects, is anti-fugal, regulates protein synthesis in DNA, acts as a potent anti-oxidant, supports endothelial cell-wall integrity, and so on. Resveratrol acts synergistically with quercetin and grape seed extract.
Ok -- I'm going to look into these, thanks

ClintCanada

"Tretinoin is a prescription medication, which requires an order from your physician. It is marketed by various of pharmaceutical companies as Altinac™; Avita®; RENOVA®; Retin-A™; Retin-A® Micro."

"Tretinoin is a safe and effective topical treatment premature aging of the skin. Tretinoin has been proven to improved mild sun damage, fine wrinkles and discoloration if used as part of with a comprehensive skin care program. "

"Using this medication will make your skin much more sun-sensitive. If you are exposed to excessive sunlight, your skin will be more quickly and severely sunburned. So make sure to use sunscreen, wear a hat and avoid excessive sun exposure. "

This is why my dermatologist has recommended (and I use) the nutrogena SPF 45 daily moisturize every morning. Even if you aren't using tretinoin and want to maintain the look of your skin -- a huge help in this area is a good daily sunscreen and moisturizer. UVA and UVB are the big culprits in wreaking havoc on your cologen (or so I'm told).
My dermatologist mentioned that years ago when they realized (especially in the North like Canada) that there were problems with the ozone filtering UVA and UVB they recommended skin protection like SPF 10 or 15. They now realize these were far to weak and are recommending the 30 to 60 range . . .

muslhead

Awards
I wouldn't write off saw palmetto with one study. There have been others including one head to head with proscar that showed significant improvements.

Clint, might also look at resveratrol, lycopene, and alpha lipoic acid.
This isnt the only study there have been many that show its ineffectiveness.

I am not writing it off only letting people know that as with all sups, YMMV

MH

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established

No its probably not a waste of money muslhead unless your prostate is already too far gone and you are a senior citizen...then maybe it is.

muslhead

Awards
No its probably not a waste of money muslhead unless your prostate is already too far gone and you are a senior citizen...then maybe it is.
Thanks very much for your valued opinion Dat it has improved my life immensely :rolleyes:.

MH

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Thanks very much for your valued opinion Dat it has improved my life immensely :rolleyes:.
No opinion bro. You said it was a waste of money...previous studies indicate that it is not. It is prescribed extensively in Germany and there are plenty of studies that indicate that it is of benefit. You even referenced one.

The study that indicates "no benefit" focused on older men with moderate to severe swelling... this is a different study group then what was focused on before with a focus on looking for a remedy rather than a preventitive measure.

Those that conducted this particular study are trying to figure out why they got the results they did. They are not convinced that the results are an absolute or definitive.

As an aside a huge processing plant for Saw Palmetto is just about operational and it will drive Saw Palmetto prices lower.

So I don't think the facts as they exist today warrant your conclusion that Saw Palmetto is a waste of money.

Why be sarcastic bro? There really was no need for that.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No opinion bro. You said it was a waste of money...previous studies indicate that it is not. It is prescribed extensively in Germany and there are plenty of studies that indicate that it is of benefit. You even referenced one.

The study that indicates "no benefit" focused on older men with moderate to severe swelling... this is a different study group then what was focused on before with a focus on looking for a remedy rather than a preventitive measure.

Those that conducted this particular study are trying to figure out why they got the results they did. They are not convinced that the results are an absolute or definitive.

As an aside a huge processing plant for Saw Palmetto is just about operational and it will drive Saw Palmetto prices lower.

So I don't think the facts as they exist today warrant your conclusion that Saw Palmetto is a waste of money.

Why be sarcastic bro? There really was no need for that.
I agree. Saw Palmetto has been around for a long time and becuase of its nature it is commonly used as a preventive measure against prostate enlargement. It may not CURE or REVERSE it like some "drugs" but prevention is key.!

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree. Saw Palmetto has been around for a long time and becuase of its nature it is commonly used as a preventive measure against prostate enlargement. It may not CURE or REVERSE it like some "drugs" but prevention is key.!
Depending on the state of the affliction, Saw Palmetto can demonstrate reversal and curative effects. Something else I find missing in the discussion is that Saw Palmetto, like many other supplements, is dose-dependent. A one-size-fits-all recommendation in terms of dosage is certainly misguided. Someone using Saw Palmetto as a preventive may dose differently from someone afflicted with a prostate condition. Besides, Saw Palmetto has always worked synergistically with Pygeum, Nettle Root, and a good dose of Beta-Sitosterols. The compound(s) work(s) :D

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What did you decide to do?

asap1

Awards
I would definitely consider using more topical DHT inhibitors then using Finesteride.

Topical DHT inhibitors would be less systemic then finasteride and that would also be one less pill your liver would have to metabolize.

Also I would consider incorporating Alpha Lipioc Acid as a powerful anti-oxidant. I would also consider GH for possible anti-aging properties.

greatgro

Awards
Vitamin D and lots of it. If you are putting 45 or more spf everytime you go in the sun you're going to be woefully low on Vitamin D (and in Canada, you're not getting enough sun to product enough D 70%+ of the year without spf!). Current theory suggests 2000-3500 IU of Vitamin D daily is optimal to greatly reduce cancer risk. Sounds like the only vitamin D you get is from food. I doubt you're getting much more than 400 IU. Without adding 2000IU or more of D3, your cancer risk may be many times higher than it should.

Using spf all the time may reduce your risk of skin cancer but it may raise the risk of every other cancer many times over.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Vitamin D and lots of it. If you are putting 45 or more spf everytime you go in the sun you're going to be woefully low on Vitamin D (and in Canada, you're not getting enough sun to product enough D 70%+ of the year without spf!). Current theory suggests 2000-3500IU of Vitamin D daily is optimal to greatly reduce cancer risk. Sounds like the only vitamin D you get is from food. I doubt you're getting much more than 400 IU. Without adding 2000IU or more of D3, your cancer risk may be many times higher than it should.

Using spf all the time may reduce your risk of skin cancer but it may raise the risk of every other cancer many times over.
I presume you specifically meant the Vitamin D3, more precisely, the hormone cholecalciferol). I am aware of a daily recommendation of 1 000IU or slightly higher. The 2000IU - 3000IU you mentioned sounds more like a therapeutic dosage. Let's not forget that D3 is a hormone. I would not recommend dosing beyond 2000IU without doing any tests or without a medical practitioners' supervision

MarkLA

Awards
I'm in LA, drive a convertible and was deficient in D3. It seems to be a widespread deficiency. Definitely worth looking at as it is implicated in Cancer, heart disease, mood, etc.

D3 Oil based is recommended. D2 is not absorbed.

I agree with strategicmove that testing is advised so you know where you are. I'm taking 2000 iu. Some people take more or less.

Following is an interesting article on the subject of dosing D3:

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2007/12/dr-cannell-on-how-much-vitamin-d.html

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
interesting. i was thinking of incorporating D3 at moderately low doses for its healthy benefits. I think that 1000IU is a good place to start assuming you arent high risk, being advised otherwise by a doctor etc.

CanMan

Awards
Good protocol, although that's a lot of anti DHT for a 33 y/o....

gassing the starches alone should help lower DHT. Green tea caps work as well, and seem to also reduce E somewhat...

Other DHT busters ;

ALA + AL Carnitine ...

zinc

selenium

Nettle root + Pygeum

cayenne pepper

pumpkin seed oil

Kelp ( spike your libidio too, cuz it helps your thyroid )

Pomegranate juice

Sesame seeds

Where in canada are you, Clint ?? i'm in the Newmarket area - FYI....

ClintCanada

Good protocol, although that's a lot of anti DHT for a 33 y/o....

gassing the starches alone should help lower DHT. Green tea caps work as well, and seem to also reduce E somewhat...

Other DHT busters ;

ALA + AL Carnitine ...

zinc

selenium

Nettle root + Pygeum

cayenne pepper

pumpkin seed oil

Kelp ( spike your libidio too, cuz it helps your thyroid )

Pomegranate juice

Sesame seeds

Where in canada are you, Clint ?? i'm in the Newmarket area - FYI....

Thanks for the info -- I'm in Edmonton, Alberta . . .
The amount of anti-DHT I'm using is at least adequate because since I started I've gotten almost back a full head of hair . . .

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
interesting. i was thinking of incorporating D3 at moderately low doses for its healthy benefits. I think that 1000IU is a good place to start assuming you arent high risk, being advised otherwise by a doctor etc.
Yep! 1000IU is a fine dose.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
I read that the U.S. Institute of Medicine controls the recommendations on these dosages and they state that adults under 50 only need 200 IUs of vitamin D a day and by age 70 up it to 600 IUs ED. Many Doctors and Nutritionists now recommend 1000 to 1100 IUs ED. Since I have high regard for Dr. Michael Platt, (The Miracle of Bio-Identicle Hormones), I have worked my way up gradually to 5000 IUs ED, his recommended dosage for prevention of prostate cancer. He raises it to 20,000 IUs for treatment. By comparison his recommendation for treatment of Osteoporosis is 10,000 IUs. There are suppliers now on the market offering 100 caps of D3 @ 5000 IU each for $7 and change. There are as well, numerous reports supporting the safety of such high dosage. Below is one such,

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 86, No. 3, 645-651, September 2007
© 2007 American Society for Nutrition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL RESEARCH COMMUNICATION

Safety of vitamin D3 in adults with multiple sclerosis

Samantha M Kimball, Melanie R Ursell, Paul O'Connor and Reinhold Vieth
1 From the Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada (SMK and RV); the Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mt Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada (SMK and RV); and the Department of Medicine, Division of Neurology, St Michael's Hospital, Toronto, Canada (MRU and PO)

Background: Vitamin D3 may have therapeutic potential in several diseases, including multiple sclerosis. High doses of vitamin D3 may be required for therapeutic efficacy, and yet tolerability—in the present context, defined as the serum concentration of 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] that does not cause hypercalcemia—remains poorly characterized.

Objective: The objective of the study was to characterize the calcemic response to specific serum 25(OH)D concentrations.
Design: In a 28-wk protocol, 12 patients in an active phase of multiple sclerosis were given 1200 mg elemental Ca/d along with progressively increasing doses of vitamin D3: from 700 to 7000 µg/wk (from 28 000 to 280 000 IU/wk).

Results: Mean (± SD) serum concentrations of 25(OH)D initially were 78 ± 35 nmol/L and rose to 386 ± 157 nmol/L (P < 0.001). Serum calcium concentrations and the urinary ratio of calcium to creatinine neither increased in mean values nor exceeded reference values for any participant (2.1–2.6 mmol/L and <1.0, respectively). Liver enzymes, serum creatinine, electrolytes, serum protein, and parathyroid hormone did not change according to Bonferroni repeated-measures statistics, although parathyroid hormone did decline significantly according to the paired t test. Disease progression and activity were not affected, but the number of gadolinium-enhancing lesions per patient (assessed with a nuclear magnetic brain scan) decreased from the initial mean of 1.75 to the end-of-study mean of 0.83 (P = 0.03).

Conclusions: Patients' serum 25(OH)D concentrations reached twice the top of the physiologic range without eliciting hypercalcemia or hypercalciuria. The data support the feasibility of pharmacologic doses of vitamin D3 for clinical research, and they provide objective evidence that vitamin D intake beyond the current upper limit is safe by a large margin.

CanMan

Awards
Thanks for the info -- I'm in Edmonton, Alberta . . .
The amount of anti-DHT I'm using is at least adequate because since I started I've gotten almost back a full head of hair . . .
Wild Rose Country, right on..... I play hockey with a dude from Vermillion, north of there....

UR DHT musta been off the charts b4 you went on the DHT busters. Hey, if it's working , keep on keepin on.... I just find Saw P makes me sleepy and hungry, but I'm 42 so .....:)

RichTan

Awards

"Topical creams available over the counter (with a doctor's prescription) may contain derivatives of tretinoin. However, these are not in the concentrations used in clinical trials which showed measurable benefits. Non-prescription preparatin are also not subject to government (FDA) regulation. The accuracy of the ingeredients, concentrations and product cinsistencyin unregulated "cosmeceuticals" is not verified by any agency. No one can really be sure of their effectiveness. "

"Tretinoin available by prescription ranges from a concentration of 0.025% to 0.1% in cream vehicle. Gel vehicle which pentrates the skin better is available in concentrations of 0.01% to .025%. Tretinoin preparations cost between $60-$115 for a 40g tube. Typically, this should last for 4-6 months of treatment. Renova (Ortho Biotech Inc) costs $115 40g tube or $135 for 60g tube. Generic tretinoin (Spear) costs $75 for a 20g tube. Other manufactures offer comparable products at similar costs. "
[/QUOTE]

I have white spots some as large as a quarter. Presently I'm taking CJC 1295 and GHRP-6 along with Retin-A. I'll report back on the progress.

annielizstan

Awards
Hi,

Wear Sunscreen:
you should choose a sunscreen with a 30 SPF or higher. Sunscreen will protect your skin against the damaging UV rays of the sun, which can lead to wrinkles, brown spots, and even skin cancer. The use of sunscreen is the most simple anti-aging skin tip. Make sure you use it every day, even on cloudy days.

Use Moisturizer:
Use a moisturizer twice a day for your skin type. For instance, if you have normal skin, use a light water-based moisturizer. For dry skin, use an oil-based moisturizer. Even oily skin needs moisture. Use a moisturizer that states it is oil-free to decrease breakouts.

Don't Smoke:
Smoking is not only bad for the heart and lungs, but it damages the collagen and elastin in your skin.you must quit smoking.

annielizstan

Awards
Drinking to extremes.
You should avoid washing with hot water.
Avoid scrubbing.
Women with dry, or sensitive skin should also take short showers or baths of no more than five to ten minutes, using lukewarm water.
Using a mask once-weekly helps deep clean the pores and replenishes moisture to the skin.