Donating blood and hematocrit

bioman3131

Awards
I was wondering if you guys could post how many times you donate blood and what kind of hematocrit levels you usually have. I started on injections about six months ago and it has raised my hematocrit somewhat. Right before I donated two month ago I got two readings, one 51 and another 54. I had it checked again last week and find out what the results are on Monday. Just trying to understand what is normal with this and what isn't.

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
Every 8 weeks. Low 50's. They say "that's really good!"

bioman3131

Awards
That's encouraging. I guess I am in the right range then.

muslhead

Awards
Every 8 weeks. Low 50's. They say "that's really good!"
Thats what mine is too and that is what RC says when I go in to donate. My Dr says otherwise. Levels are too high must get them down.
The top of the range is 50 so low 50's is above "normal"
MH

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established
Thats what mine is too and that is what RC says when I go in to donate. My Dr says otherwise. Levels are too high must get them down.
The top of the range is 50 so low 50's is above "normal"
MH

Who would it make the best sense to believe? A med tech or nurse at a blood bank who knows next to nothing about you, or your doc.

Hematocrit that is maybe only a couple of points above the top end of normal probably doesn't pose a great risk. But anything beyond that is putting you at risk for blood clot type problems such as DVT, stroke, pulmonary embolism.

This is so because the increased hematocrit increases your blood viscosity. Higher viscosity blood moves through your circulatory system more slowly. The slow moving blood is more apt to pool and clot than thin, low viscosity blood that is circulating normally.

bioman3131

Awards
Does anyone get any symptoms when your hematocrit gets to the top of the range. Last time my Blood pressure went way up. My GP put me on a very low dose of atenolol and since then and after my first donation it's been perfect. Most of the time 115/60. Now, my face has been a little flushed around the bridge of my nose. I don't know if that is any indication that my hematocrit is high or not. Also if you guys don't mind what does of Test are you on? I am on a realitvely high dose. I started at 200mg/ml a week for a little over a month and now I am on 150 mg/ml a week along with 350 IU of HCG. I wonder if the higher dose will require me to donate more.

muslhead

Awards
Who would it make the best sense to believe? A med tech or nurse at a blood bank who knows next to nothing about you, or your doc.

Hematocrit that is maybe only a couple of points above the top end of normal probably doesn't pose a great risk. But anything beyond that is putting you at risk for blood clot type problems such as DVT, stroke, pulmonary embolism.

This is so because the increased hematocrit increases your blood viscosity. Higher viscosity blood moves through your circulatory system more slowly. The slow moving blood is more apt to pool and clot than thin, low viscosity blood that is circulating normally.
More importantly, your heart has to work harder to pump the normal volume because of the greater viscosity

MH

muslhead

Awards
Does anyone get any symptoms when your hematocrit gets to the top of the range. Last time my Blood pressure went way up. My GP put me on a very low dose of atenolol and since then and after my first donation it's been perfect. Most of the time 115/60. Now, my face has been a little flushed around the bridge of my nose. I don't know if that is any indication that my hematocrit is high or not. Also if you guys don't mind what does of Test are you on? I am on a realitvely high dose. I started at 200mg/ml a week for a little over a month and now I am on 150 mg/ml a week along with 350 IU of HCG. I wonder if the higher dose will require me to donate more.
Those symptoms you state are those of someone with an above normal test levels. 200mg/wk should put your test levels 1000+
The higher the test levels the higher the HC levels ... its a direct correlation
MH

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
You should have FreeT~300
There is direct strong corelation between TotalTestosterone, SHBG and FreeT.

If you have the TT & SGBG measured, then you can figure out your FreeT from dr Shippen chart, my post #41
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/66268-jans-bloodtest-april13-2.html

There is also calculator
Free & Bioavailable Testosterone calculator
you have to be carefull with units here and do not use the BAT part, is not working right.

There is also a table on my post #40
if you have SHBG you can figure out (approximately) how much T you should inject per week.
That table discounts any Test made by your testis.

In any case do your injections E3D or even E2D and HCG on days in between.

150mg/week is not very high.

Bottom line is a blood test, use Quest Diagnostics:

Testosterone, Free, Bio/Total (LC/MS/MS)
If you are able to have this test, adjust your T dose maximizing on BAT and do not worry much about FreeT, it will fall in right place.

rick055

Awards
  • Established
What about an 81 mg aspirin, vitamin E and drinking lots of fluid? Does any of that help "thin the blood"?

bioman3131

Awards
I got my hematocrit back today. It was 47. something. I was pretty releaved, I was thinking it would still be high.Actually my iron was even low. This result is from quest. It makes me question the reliability of the testing that they do at the blood bank.

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established
I got my hematocrit back today. It was 47. something. I was pretty releaved, I was thinking it would still be high.Actually my iron was even low. This result is from quest. It makes me question the reliability of the testing that they do at the blood bank.

Serum iron jumps around a fair amount. I had BW done a few weeks ago. The serum iron came back low - not just low, but very low. I had an iron panel (iron, ferritin, total iron-binding capacity) done a couple of days later, and all were solidly mid-range. So, the low value was either lab error or normal diurnal fluctuation.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Not sure how applicable is this:

http://www.questdiagnostics.com/kbase/topic/mini/hw180388/overview.htm

" If you do have hemochromatosis, then taking vitamin C can cause your body to absorb more of the iron you eat. You should avoid vitamin C if you have hemochromatosis."
-----------------------------

http://www.questdiagnostics.com/kbase/topic/mini/hw180388/hometrt.htm

Hemochromatosis
Home Treatment
There are steps you can take at home to treat hemochromatosis...................................................