Natural alternatives to hydrocortisone, medrol, etc

T800

T800

Awards
Have any of you guys tried the "natural" Adrenal supplements like the stuff from Dr Wilson? Usually the stuff is made from bovine extracts.

I'm looking for a more natural way to supplement my adrenal treatment program. I was initially on hydrocortisone, but was taken off of it because of blood pressure issues. Now I'm on Medrol, but even that seems to be causing blood pressure issues when taking 50mg/day of Iodoral.

Sonny

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
Have any of you guys tried the "natural" Adrenal supplements like the stuff from Dr Wilson? Usually the stuff is made from bovine extracts.

I'm looking for a more natural way to supplement my adrenal treatment program. I was initially on hydrocortisone, but was taken off of it because of blood pressure issues. Now I'm on Medrol, but even that seems to be causing blood pressure issues when taking 50mg/day of Iodoral.

Sonny

I think Bovine Adrenal Tissue is a natural alternative. You might want to try a product called Reset AD that is getting tons of good user feedback.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established

Sonny
the adrenal extracts are no substitute for the real thing. Although many practitioners like using one (that has cortisol etc. removed) to help heal the adrenals. I use Drenatrophin PMG by Standard Process...but I get it fairly cheap so thats why I use it. I know nutricology makes a good one as well that Dr. Gedde recommends.

Id look to other causes for the high BP and see if you can fix those....we really need the cortef/medrol to help heal.

Also, dont f with reset or any of those. Definetly NOT the thing we are looking for.

T800

T800

Awards
Thanks, guys.

I'm fairly certain that the BP/pounding heart is from the high amount of Iodoral. (4 pills)

I was supposed to do an "iodine saturation" for 1 month and then go back to 1 pill per day. I think I did that for a little too long. I was at the 6 week mark and my adrenals are feeling really depleted.

Addition of the extra Iodoral immediately made me very "intolerant" to Armour and Medrol. When I went from 1 Iodoral to 4, I had to drop my my Armour from 3 grains to 2 grains and the Medrol from 4mg to 2mg. This worked good, but over the last 2 weeks I've been feeling gradually more and more tired.

Body temps have been fluctuating a lot (a sign of adrenal fatigue), so I've backed the Iodoral back down and am going to try to up the Medrol.

Sonny

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
the adrenal extracts are no substitute for the real thing. Although many practitioners like using one (that has cortisol etc. removed) to help heal the adrenals. I use Drenatrophin PMG by Standard Process...but I get it fairly cheap so thats why I use it. I know nutricology makes a good one as well that Dr. Gedde recommends.

Id look to other causes for the high BP and see if you can fix those....we really need the cortef/medrol to help heal.

Also, dont f with reset or any of those. Definetly NOT the thing we are looking for.
Why not?

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Many cortisol blockers mess with the conversion of cortisol to cortisone, and others simply block your bodies reaction to cortisol but that is NOT what we need. There is a very imp. reason for the high cortisol, and if you play with it your just screwing with your bodys homeostasis. If you have only minor cortisol issues or just need something to help cope with stress for a little bit these products are fine. but for those who need real adrenal support, your actually making things worse.

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
Many cortisol blockers mess with the conversion of cortisol to cortisone, and others simply block your bodies reaction to cortisol but that is NOT what we need. There is a very imp. reason for the high cortisol, and if you play with it your just screwing with your bodys homeostasis. If you have only minor cortisol issues or just need something to help cope with stress for a little bit these products are fine. but for those who need real adrenal support, your actually making things worse.
Reset, if that is what you are referring to is not a cortisol blocker. It has some pretty good stuff in is such as Pregnenolone and Bovine among other things. Very good supplement for under 20 bucks.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Reset, if that is what you are referring to is not a cortisol blocker. It has some pretty good stuff in is such as Pregnenolone and Bovine among other things. Very good supplement for under 20 bucks.
Im not trying to bash any one product.....The old cortisol-blocker with B-Androstenetriol is what I was mostly referring to. Reset is ok if I remember the ingredients, although oral preg. is pretty much ****, though a decent transdermal is almost always script only. Id recommend something like nutricology's adrenal glandular and some adaptogens but focus on getting to the root of the stress response. For some, it might be something like a gluten intolerance or similar.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Since I have this page on my screen, I may as well post it here:

Phosphatidylserine (PS)
Phosphatidylserine is a phospholipid that is a structural component of the biological membranes in animals and plants. In studies, supplemental PS has been shown to improve mood and blunt the release of cortisol in response to physical stress (Monteleone et al. 1990; Kelly 1999; Benton et al. 2001).

Adrenal Disease - Page 2 Of 2: Online Reference For Health Concerns

There are few other suggested supplements.
==================
Vitamin C, 3000 mg a day
DHEA, 50 mg a day
L-theanine, 100-400 mg a day
Pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), 1500 mg a day
Melatonin, 300 mcg-6 mg (at bedtime)
Phosphatidylserine capsules, 300 mg a day
Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra), no more than 1000 mg of glycyrrhizin
=====================

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Since I have this page on my screen, I may as well post it here:

Phosphatidylserine (PS)
Phosphatidylserine is a phospholipid that is a structural component of the biological membranes in animals and plants. In studies, supplemental PS has been shown to improve mood and blunt the release of cortisol in response to physical stress (Monteleone et al. 1990; Kelly 1999; Benton et al. 2001).

Adrenal Disease - Page 2 Of 2: Online Reference For Health Concerns

There are few other suggested supplements.
==================
Vitamin C, 3000 mg a day
DHEA, 50 mg a day
L-theanine, 100-400 mg a day
Pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), 1500 mg a day
Melatonin, 300 mcg-6 mg (at bedtime)
Phosphatidylserine capsules, 300 mg a day
Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra), no more than 1000 mg of glycyrrhizin
=====================
Janz, from what I have seen all the PS related studies that show a decrease in cortisol levels were done with a bovine derived PS. Currently the OTC PS products available are soy derived and most speculate the soy derived PS does not act to reduce cort (although no studies I have seen show one way or the other).

Also, I believe the dosing used in studies done in the 800mg's range so 300mg/day might be on the low side.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/78948-phospholipids-sports-performance.html

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Janz, from what I have seen all the PS related studies that show a decrease in cortisol levels were done with a bovine derived PS. Currently the OTC PS products available are soy derived and most speculate the soy derived PS does not act to reduce cort (although no studies I have seen show one way or the other).

Also, I believe the dosing used in studies done in the 800mg's range so 300mg/day might be on the low side.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/78948-phospholipids-sports-performance.html
I am not an expert, but this is the best that LEF was able to come up with since 2004.

Adrenal Disease
Updated: 5/24/2004
Cushing's Syndrome: Overproduction of Cortisol
(Enigval, this is for you)

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am not an expert, but this is the best that LEF was able to come up with since 2004.

Adrenal Disease
Updated: 5/24/2004
Cushing's Syndrome: Overproduction of Cortisol
(Enigval, this is for you)

edit: nevermind

T800

T800

Awards
Long term, Dr Mariano wants me off of Medrol. It's a "crutch"...his words. I would like to get off of it. I have been able to wean myself off of it before when using Nolvadex alone as TRT. When using Test + HCG, I needed the Medrol...a strong indicator of what Test + HCG does to my cortisol levels.

I haven't asked him specifically about adrenal supplements like Dr Wilson's stuff. I thought i'd throw it out there so that I could come into my next appt with some things in mind.

Sonny