ZMA and Copper relationship - AnabolicMinds.com

ZMA and Copper relationship

1. Advanced Member
    Answers

ZMA and Copper relationship

I have heard that if you take ZMA you should take copper to "balance it out".

What is the purpose and how much?

I take 3 ZMA caps at night, my multi has 15 mg zinc (taken in the a.m.) and it also contains 2 mg copper.

Does that sound good?

2. New Member
    Answers

How much total Zinc are you taking?

I'm on 50mg/day with no adverse effects so far. I've heard that more than 50mg and you need to add copper. HAN recommended 2mg/day copper.

Mark
  3. Advanced Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLA View Post
    How much total Zinc are you taking?

I'm on 50mg/day with no adverse effects so far. I've heard that more than 50mg and you need to add copper. HAN recommended 2mg/day copper.

Mark
    30 mg from ZMA at night and 15 mg from multi during the day; 45 mg total per day.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rick055 View Post
    30 mg from ZMA at night and 15 mg from multi during the day; 45 mg total per day.
    2-3 mgs should prevent a defiency 4-5 to correct a defieincy
    proper ratio of zn:Cu should be 8-15:1
  5. Advanced Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hardasnails1973 View Post
    2-3 mgs should prevent a defiency 4-5 to correct a defieincy
    proper ratio of zn:Cu should be 8-15:1
    So at 50 mgs zinc, 4 mgs copper would be a good idea?

Also, should you take the copper at night with the ZMA or during the day with the multi?
  6. Registered User
    Answers

So at 50 mgs zinc, 4 mgs copper would be a good idea?

Also, should you take the copper at night with the ZMA or during the day with the multi?
    No calcium, iron, copper 2 hours prior before ZMA they compete for same receptors and would cancel out the zinc.

4 gms of copper is fine, BUT you also get some from your food so becareful and if you have high estrogen levels copper absorption is increased dramatically.
  7. Advanced Member
    Answers

No calcium, iron, copper 2 hours prior before ZMA they compete for same receptors and would cancel out the zinc.

4 gms of copper is fine, BUT you also get some from your food so becareful and if you have high estrogen levels copper absorption is increased dramatically.

Thank you for that excellent answer. reps!!
  8. New Member
    Answers

HAN, can you share any other tips on the best time to be taking/not taking particular supplements?

Thanks,

Mark
  9. Advanced Member
    Answers

HAN,

You mention not taking calcium at the same time as zinc.

This is one I was aware of as I understand calcium to be a large molecule which can block absorbtion of other vitamins/minerals.

So here's the $50 question: Why do multivitamins contain calcium? Most of the multis I see contain 200 mg calcium. Does that amount inhibit any other vitamins?
  10. Registered User
    Answers

HAN,

You mention not taking calcium at the same time as zinc.

This is one I was aware of as I understand calcium to be a large molecule which can block absorbtion of other vitamins/minerals.

So here's the $50 question: Why do multivitamins contain calcium? Most of the multis I see contain 200 mg calcium. Does that amount inhibit any other vitamins?
    90% of the vitamins are garbage and contain too large dosages of calcium which offset other minerals iron, magneisum, zinc. They are also biounavaialble to the body because they are in either carbonate or oxide form which breaks down to 10% of elemental form so 1000 mgs calcium carbonate may be if all stomach acids are optimal gives you 200-300 mgs of elemental calcium, zinc oxide 15 mgs barely give 5 mgs of zinc and you lose that when you blow a load.

I like a multivitamin for men lower in calcium and so one can add more calcium later in the day. Thats why I love intramax its perfectly balanced to avoid this compeition between nutrients.
  11. Advanced Member
    Answers

90% of the vitamins are garbage and contain too large dosages of calcium which offset other minerals iron, magneisum, zinc. They are also biounavaialble to the body because they are in either carbonate or oxide form which breaks down to 10% of elemental form so 1000 mgs calcium carbonate may be if all stomach acids are optimal gives you 200-300 mgs of elemental calcium, zinc oxide 15 mgs barely give 5 mgs of zinc and you lose that when you blow a load.

I like a multivitamin for men lower in calcium and so one can add more calcium later in the day. Thats why I love intramax its perfectly balanced to avoid this compeition between nutrients.
    Those look great but are too expensive for me.

I just found out LEF's 2 per day only has 20 mg calcium and would only cost about $7.00 per month. The forms are better, too - no oxides, etc...

It doesn't have any copper though, so I would need to add that separately, but copper is cheap; plus I can take it later in the day away from the multi.

Would copper compete Vitamin C or DHEA? I take a second serving of those with dinner.
  12. Registered User
    Answers

Those look great but are too expensive for me.

I just found out LEF's 2 per day only has 20 mg calcium and would only cost about $7.00 per month. The forms are better, too - no oxides, etc...

It doesn't have any copper though, so I would need to add that separately, but copper is cheap; plus I can take it later in the day away from the multi.

Would copper compete Vitamin C or DHEA? I take a second serving of those with dinner.
    When buying multivitamin you get what you pay for and one of the things I would spend the extra money is a good multivitamin. ok out of those vitamins 90% you waste and 10% your body takes couple that with hard core traning and daily stress you are looking at major dietary defieincies..
    How i got my self into this mess in the first place. after 8 weeks of taking crappy multivitamin my body begin to break down. i will never chance that again

suggestion
    country life men's formula taken 1 pill 2 times aday
    more extra mmineral support VPX CMZ
    add in iron or copper if blood results reflect it
    b complex 3 times a day
    1000 mgs ester c 3 times a day
    all basis should be covered.

Yes 65 bucks is alot BUT it can knock out about 200 bucks worth of liver clenser, fiber supplments, probiotics, and also replenishedd amino acids, and other antioxidents
  13. Professional Member
    Answers

When buying multivitamin you get what you pay for and one of the things I would spend the extra money is a good multivitamin. ok out of those vitamins 90% you waste and 10% your body takes couple that with hard core traning and daily stress you are looking at major dietary defieincies..
    How i got my self into this mess in the first place. after 8 weeks of taking crappy multivitamin my body begin to break down. i will never chance that again

suggestion
    country life men's formula taken 1 pill 2 times aday
    more extra mmineral support VPX CMZ
    add in iron or copper if blood results reflect it
    b complex 3 times a day
    1000 mgs ester c 3 times a day
    all basis should be covered.

Yes 65 bucks is alot BUT it can knock out about 200 bucks worth of liver clenser, fiber supplments, probiotics, and also replenishedd amino acids, and other antioxidents
    With my report from:
    (GDX - Metabolic Analysis Profile) including (GDX - Cellular Energy Profile)
    at hand I am in a process of completing questionare from
    CustomVite.Com - Personalized Nutritional Supplements
    that my doc have given to me.
    I list all my medicines and supplements that I am taking.

It looks to me like they will tell me to drop everything that I am buying from LEF and will try to sell me their product.

Depending on respectability of company that may be either good or bad.

Have you ever heard of:

CustomVite.com

Nutrilab, LLC.
    P.O. Box 895
    260 Docks Corner Road
    Dayton, NJ 08810

They are probably located relatively close to you.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    I will make attempt at not buying any of their product, but getting list of recomendations.

If they use once word "proprietary" and want to make me go without a complete disclosure, I am dropping them.
    Actually I will have a talk with my doc to figure out before hand, the end product that I can expect.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. ZMA and Dreams?
    By txwakeskater in forum Supplements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-15-2007, 10:57 PM
  2. ZMA and Multi vitamin
    By Deccadick in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2006, 06:05 PM
  3. Is NOW ADAM (with zma) and ZMA, too much zinc?
    By sundevil04 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2006, 12:52 PM
  4. ZMA and test.
    By chainsaw in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2005, 07:05 AM
  5. nolva/zma and trouble sleeping
    By pcazar in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 03:04 PM