coconut oil

galapagos

Awards
I have a relatively low body temperature and am having issues with hypogonadism. Not sure if the two are related, but until I can investigate further, I was wondering if there's anything that might be of help.

I've learned that coconut oil can increase body temperature, and thus help with hypothyroid-esque symptoms.

Is there truth to this? If so does it matter what kind of coconut oil one uses (i.e. refined vs. virgin)?

thanks.

Joejoebaggins

Joejoebaggins

Awards
I have a relatively low body temperature and am having issues with hypogonadism. Not sure if the two are related, but until I can investigate further, I was wondering if there's anything that might be of help.

I've learned that coconut oil can increase body temperature, and thus help with hypothyroid-esque symptoms.

Is there truth to this? If so does it matter what kind of coconut oil one uses (i.e. refined vs. virgin)?

thanks.
If you're going to use it, DEFINITELY go extra virgin. There are no health benefits in the refined stuff.

I usually eat a couple tablespoons a day. I really don't notice any difference in terms of body heat (I'm very hypo). I like using it because it feels "cleaner" and it doesn't degrade when frying my eggs so that's a plus. Plus I'm in love with coconut... so it's a win-win situation.

Last edited:

Tonyk

Awards
extra virgin vs virgin

There is no difference between vigin and "extra virgin". THe "extra" virgin is a marketing scheme. I just bought a gallon of coconut virgin oil
its on ebay 128 OZ

Joejoebaggins

Joejoebaggins

Awards
There is no difference between vigin and "extra virgin". THe "extra" virgin is a marketing scheme. I just bought a gallon of coconut virgin oil
its on ebay 128 OZ
Good to know. I go through this stuff fast!

BigJimCalhoun

Awards
I melt it and mix it with protein.

I also make omelets with it

curls4gurls

Awards

thanks.

Your low body temperature could be Thyroid and/or Adrenals. Get a blood test for:

TSH
Free T3
Free T4

for your thyroid, and

Cortisol
ACTH
for your adrenals (even tho blood labs arent the best way to test adrenals)

If your TSH is 2.0 or higher it's likely you're hypothyroid which is why you'd have low body temperature. The scale for TSH goes up to 5, but anything over 2 is bad.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 3
Supplements 9
Supplements 31
Supplements 55
DemntedCowboy Nutrition / Health 1