Low Testosterone and Clomid

gothir

Awards
I have had a few blood tests run and my testosterone levels have come back low every time...< 210. My LH and TSH levels have both been consisently low as well.

Along with the blood tests my doctors have done an MRI on my pituitary/thyroid gland to make sure nothing is wrong with that and they have done an ultrasound and semen analysis to make sure that my testicles are normal. Nothing was found in the MRI or ultrasound.

So my doctor has started me on 50mg of Clomid everyday which is supposed to force my body to produce more LH and FSH which should make my testosterone levels go up. I have been taking the Clomid for 20 days now and I have not noticed any change in my energy levels, mood, sex drive or anything that would let me know this is working.

How long should it take before I should start seeing some positive results? Is there anyone else that has been put on this?

hardestgainer

hardestgainer

Awards
  • Established
I have used it for pct, and while on it, u don't feel much. It actually made me feel like my test was lower, mood swings, etc... But when I tapered off, I felt back to normal again, huge sex drive, stamina, energy.

biker340

Awards
Clomid is usually the first medication that a doctor will give you to raise test. It is easy to take and will not shut you down like Androgel will. (They call it the Clomid test)

My Doc had me take Clomid for two months before switching to HCG. It did raise my test levels, but not by much, I was at 290 (241-850) I also did not notice much improvement after two months. the only way to tell if Clomid is doing anything is by getting blood work done after 30 days.

Good luck and welcome, TRT or HRT is a long process, like running a marathon, not a sprint..

engival

Awards
  • Established
clomid took my T from 340 to 760. i guess it helped a bit with energy. the only side i see from is it acne.

im going to be going off soon though

gothir

Awards
How long did it take before you started noticing any changes? My doctor has me taking 50mg clomid daily for 3 month and I have a followup visit with him at the end of the 3 month period.

I haven't noticed any changes yet and have been debating whether to try and move my followup to a closer date if i still don't have any improvement in the next week or 2.

engival

Awards
  • Established
wow 50mg daily is a very high dosage.

shippen wanted me at 15mg 3x a week then i did go up to 30mg 3x a week, but if my next TT / E2 blood test come back good hes taking me down to 20mg, then off.
he thinks my TT should remain at around 700+ once im off. thats his goal with me

i dont know, its hard to know whats helping me since im having thyroid / adrenal problems and im increasing my armour. its hard to say if its my Clomid or the armour thats really helping me. probably a both.

it can take a few months. and if you have been stuck with low Testostosterone for quite some time it can take up to 1 year to repair the damage.

biker340

Awards
How long did it take before you started noticing any changes? My doctor has me taking 50mg clomid daily for 3 month and I have a followup visit with him at the end of the 3 month period.

I haven't noticed any changes yet and have been debating whether to try and move my followup to a closer date if i still don't have any improvement in the next week or 2.
I would definitly get some blood work done before 3 months.
3 months at 50 mg/d, will take a toll on your liver.
Also if you notice any changes in your vision, call your doctor.

TiredOldFart

Awards
I tried clomid and had morning oaks early morning until I woke up. Of course the oaks were kind of slow to drop their acorns. No sides, but only took it three days. It did not interact the same as t-gel which improved cognition, ambition, depression etc. Kind of a mystery and didn't take this long enough to get tests.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I tried clomid and had morning oaks early morning until I woke up. Of course the oaks were kind of slow to drop their acorns. No sides, but only took it three days. It did not interact the same as t-gel which improved cognition, ambition, depression etc. Kind of a mystery and didn't take this long enough to get tests.
TiredOldFart
Between your anxiety while using HCG and doing better on t-gel.......

post your lattest

TotalT
SHBG
E2
DHT
DHEAs
FreeT3
FreeT4

or point to post where you have posted your complete blood test.

With your nickname, how is your digestive system, are you bloated, gassy?

biker340

Awards

Sounds like you responded well to Clomid, curious are you older or younger than me??

Last edited:
Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Clomiphene is typically a bit faster acting than other SERMs for raising testosterone levels. Just be aware that it has both agonist & antagonist effects on estrogen receptors depending on the tissue, so some have reported being "emotional" (in a feminine way) while on clomiphene, even though testicular size increases.

TiredOldFart

Awards
TiredOldFart
Between your anxiety while using HCG and doing better on t-gel.......

post your lattest

TotalT
SHBG
E2
DHT
DHEAs
FreeT3
FreeT4

or point to post where you have posted your complete blood test.

With your nickname, how is your digestive system, are you bloated, gassy?
Tests while on hcg are scheduled a bit later. On gel, I was at total t ~ 1000 just above top of high range limit and E2 has ranged 20-30. Free-t has been between 8 and 15. DHEA was lower than limit somewhat. I forget the number. SHGB and other tests haven't been done. Digestive system is impaired from neuropathy, gastroparesis. Nick came from feeling much older than I should.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Tests while on hcg are scheduled a bit later. On gel, I was at total t ~ 1000 just above top of high range limit and E2 has ranged 20-30. Free-t has been between 8 and 15. DHEA was lower than limit somewhat. I forget the number. SHGB and other tests haven't been done. Digestive system is impaired from neuropathy, gastroparesis. Nick came from feeling much older than I should.
I was around 1000 while on 10grams of Androgel.
My DHT was 3x over the top range.
Depending on your SHBG level 1000 may or may not be enough.
FreeT tests are all wrong.
Use chart to find your FreeT.

It is up to you with the testing, but for what you are describing I suggest

my whole list of blood tests post #44
just got the bill for it, $6.49
look at my bill:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/77945-bill-my-blood.html

and all of the tests from Genova that I list there.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/66268-jans-bloodtest-april13-2.html

The costs of all that is minimal if you have insurance or are over 65yo.

You newer know, you may learn about something that you are going to be able to adjust to your benefit.

It is your butt, make an effort to save it.

TiredOldFart

Awards
my whole list of blood tests post #44
just got the bill for it, $6.49
look at my bill:
It's amazing the difference between medicare allowed and what they invoice. Labcorp always tries to bill my secondary insurer first in hopes of getting a larger payment. The secondary just declines them because they are linked.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
It's amazing the difference between medicare allowed and what they invoice. Labcorp always tries to bill my secondary insurer first in hopes of getting a larger payment. The secondary just declines them because they are linked.
I do not really care about details.
The system, as is, works for me and number of people that I know, including some that are on welfare.
I will not vote for her, she want to screw me with her social medicine idea.
I used to live in Poland, thanks but no thanks for social medicine.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
  • Here's a study showing low-dose Clomid therapy (25mg ED) boosts testosterone by 250% in 4-6 weeks:

Clomiphene citrate effects on testosterone/estrogen ratio in male hypogonadism.
    Shabsigh A, Kang Y, Shabsign R, Gonzalez M, Liberson G, Fisch H, Goluboff E.
    Department of Urology, NY Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY, USA.
    J Sex Med. 2005 Sep;2(5):716-21.

AIM: Symptomatic late-onset hypogonadism is associated not only with a decline in serum testosterone, but also with a rise in serum estradiol. These endocrine changes negatively affect libido, sexual function, mood, behavior, lean body mass, and bone density. Currently, the most common treatment is exogenous testosterone therapy. This treatment can be associated with skin irritation, gynecomastia, nipple tenderness, testicular atrophy, and decline in sperm counts. In this study we investigated the efficacy of clomiphene citrate in the treatment of hypogonadism with the objectives of raising endogenous serum testosterone (T) and improving the testosterone/estrogen (T/E) ratio. METHODS: Our cohort consisted of 36 Caucasian men with hypogonadism defined as serum testosterone level less than 300 ng/dL. Each patient was treated with a daily dose of 25 mg clomiphene citrate and followed prospectively. Analysis of baseline and follow-up serum levels of testosterone and estradiol levels were performed.

RESULTS: The mean age was 39 years, and the mean pretreatment testosterone and estrogen levels were 247.6 +/- 39.8 ng/dL and 32.3 +/- 10.9, respectively. By the first follow-up visit (4-6 weeks), the mean testosterone level rose to 610.0 +/- 178.6 ng/dL (P < 0.00001). Moreover, the T/E ratio improved from 8.7 to 14.2 (P < 0.001). There were no side effects reported by the patients.

CONCLUSIONS: Low dose clomiphene citrate is effective in elevating serum testosterone levels and improving the testosterone/estradiol ratio in men with hypogonadism.This therapy represents an alternative to testosterone therapy by stimulating the endogenous androgen production pathway.

PMID: 16422830 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE][/FONT]​
  • Study showing a hypogonadic 30-year old male, suffering permanent shutdown from steroid abuse, fully recovered natural hormone levels and HPTA function from 2 months of 100mg Clomid therapy:

Use of clomiphene citrate to reverse premature andropause secondary to steroid abuse.
    Tan RS, Vasudevan D.

Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA. [email protected]

OBJECTIVE: To report a case of symptomatic hypogonadism induced by the abuse of multiple steroid preparations that was subsequently reversed by clomiphene. DESIGN: Case report. SETTING: University-affiliated andrology practice within family practice clinic. PATIENT(S): A 30-year-old male.

INTERVENTION(S): Clomiphene citrate, 100-mg challenge for 5 days, followed by treatment at same dose for 2 months.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S): Clinical symptoms, androgen decline in aging male questionnaire, total T, FSH, LH.

RESULT(S): Reversal of symptoms, normalization of T levels with LH surge, restoration of pituitary-gonadal axis.

CONCLUSION(S): Clomiphene citrate is used typically in helping to restore fertility in females. This represents the first case report of the successful use of clomiphene to restore T levels and the pituitary-gonadal axis in a male patient. The axis was previously shut off with multiple anabolic steroid abuse.

PMID: 12524089 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
  • Here's another study showing only 7 days of Clomid therapy increased total testosterone by 100% and, more importantly, free testosterone by over 300% in young men:

The effects of aging in normal men on bioavailable testosterone and luteinizing hormone secretion: response to clomiphene citrate.
    Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Veterans Administration Medical Center, Seattle, Washington.

Serum testosterone (T) levels in men decline with age while serum LH levels, as measured by RIA, increase. To assess if the decline in serum T levels in healthy aging men is paralleled by an age-related decline in the bioavailable non-sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG)-bound fraction of T and to determine whether there are age-related changes in LH secretion or LH control of T production, we studied 29 young (aged 22-35 yr) and 26 elderly (aged 65-84 yr) healthy men. All men had single random blood samples drawn, and 14 men in each age group underwent frequent blood sampling for 24 h, both before and after 7 days of clomiphene citrate (CC) administration. Both mean 24-h serum total T levels and non-SHBG-bound T were reduced in elderly men compared to those in young men (P less than 0.05), while estradiol and SHBG levels were similar in the 2 age groups. Serum FSH determined by RIA and LH by RIA and bioassay were higher in the elderly men compared to those in young men (P less than 0.05), but the ratios of LH bioactivity to immunoreactivity and the LH pulse frequency and amplitude were similar. After CC administration, mean serum total T and non-SHBG-bound levels in young men increased by 100% and 304%, respectively, while in older men these values increased by only 32% and 8%, respectively. However, CC-stimulated LH pulse characteristics and serum levels of estradiol, SHBG, FSH, and bioactive and immunoreactive LH were similar in the 2 groups. Thus, both at baseline and after CC stimulation, elderly men had significantly lower serum total T and non-SHBG-bound (bioavailable) T levels than did young men, despite similar or increased levels of bioactive LH and similar bioactive to immunoreactive LH ratios and LH pulse characteristics. These results suggest that major age-related changes in the hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis occur at the level of the testes and are manifested by decreased responsiveness to bioactive LH. Administration of CC to young and elderly men resulted in similar changes in LH pulse characteristics and LH bioactivity and immunoreactivity, suggesting preserved hypothalamic-pituitary responsiveness in the elderly.

J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1987 Dec;65(6):1118-26.
    PMID: 3119649 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE
Thanks to -W- for digging these up.

coltonlee

coltonlee

Awards
im glad you posted this sounds like exactly what i would need if i was secondary due to steroid use.

kind of a rookie question here but in theory wouldnt every aas actually induce a degree
of secondary hypogonadism if pct wasnt used?

tnt tony

Awards
what kind of supplement can be taken with androgel to boost test levels even higher and be safe ?

jpkangol

Awards
Did you take an AI while on Clomid to control the E2 levels?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Did you take an AI while on Clomid to control the E2 levels?
You can not accurately measure e2 on clomid since it is estrogen related it self.

Mark Tennis

Awards
For over one month now, I have been taking testosterone supplements. They are the Dr Max Powers Testosterone Booster. Its in pill form.

What a difference this has made in my life. I went to a doctor to assist me in weight loss. I was about 70 lbs. overweight. I have a slow metabolism or something like that. Within days of receiving the testosterone from the dr max powers website, I lost my fatigue and my energy levels sky-rocketed. My wife has had to deal with new and increased interest from me, but we have been working that out between us. My testosterone level was 166. I feel like I'm 25 years old again. If you are overweight, have slow metabolism or other related issues, try this...

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Spam :bsflag:

For over one month now, I have been taking testosterone supplements. They are the Dr Max Powers Testosterone Booster. Its in pill form.

What a difference this has made in my life. I went to a doctor to assist me in weight loss. I was about 70 lbs. overweight. I have a slow metabolism or something like that. Within days of receiving the testosterone from the dr max powers website, I lost my fatigue and my energy levels sky-rocketed. My wife has had to deal with new and increased interest from me, but we have been working that out between us. My testosterone level was 166. I feel like I'm 25 years old again. If you are overweight, have slow metabolism or other related issues, try this...

christopher36

Awards
I take 25mg. of Clomid 2x a week added to my daily tube of Testim. The best I've felt in a long time. HCG had too many sides for me. My boys are now much better and everything looks healthier.

broken7

broken7

Awards
I take 25mg. of Clomid 2x a week added to my daily tube of Testim. The best I've felt in a long time. HCG had too many sides for me. My boys are now much better and everything looks healthier.
What side effects did you have from hcg? How much were you taking?

christopher36

Awards
What side effects did you have from hcg? How much were you taking?
Major panic attacks to the point my heart felt like it would explode. It was a bad time for me. Again no AI prescribed, so now I know it was possibly Estradiol but no Doctor I saw would help.

250ius twice weekly with 100mg. Test E injected twice (50mg.) weekly.

TexMex03

Awards
So what usually tends to happen after a successful run with clomid? I had low test levels for some time so i started seeing an endo. He got me on clomid for 3 months 25 mg/day. I had test levels in 380's. I just got my bloodwork back and its at 1152 (348-1197). My Lh is really high too at 21(1.7-8.6) and my estrogen is really high as well at like 140 (7.6-42.6). What do you guys see happening now that I'm off clomid? Do levels tend to stay on the upper end or will they go back down to where they were?