Cortisol-blood vs. saliva results - AnabolicMinds.com

Cortisol-blood vs. saliva results

1. New Member

Cortisol-blood vs. saliva results

Hey guys I'm being treated for adrenal fatigue and in my last test I had both blood and saliva tests done. Well the results were opposite ends of the spectrum the- Blood said I had more than enough actually just over top of range 22mcg/dL (range 5-21) and a free cortisol of .99mcg/dL (range .07-.93mcg/dL) while the saliva test came back as saying I was at the absolute bottom end of normal. Obviously I'm a little confused at getting such contradictory results and did a search on the forum where I found that Dr. John said saliva tests are worthless. I am inclined to believe him as I am no longer suffering from any of the symptoms I was displaying when the diagnosis for adrenal fatigue was made but I was wondering if anyone else had this experience with divergent test results?? My doctor said she had never seen anything like this before.

Concurrently my testosterone is down roughly 50% as well as e2 down to 20 from 38, dhea as measured by saliva down over 50%, DHT jumped from 38 to 55, cholesterol was down from 270 to 206.

I am grateful in that I feel infinitely better but overall I'm just at a loss as far as what the BW numbers came in at. Anything jump out at you guys?? Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

2. Senior Member

ive always had HIGH values on my blood cortisol (never had free done though) and my saliva's have always come up bottom barrel...and I AM severely adrenal fatigued...and even on 42.5mg of CORTEF my urine cortisol levels were fairly midrange...so im actually on the right amount of cortef somehow.
  3. New Member

Yeah, I've seen the same disparity. Blood results look good, saliva look terrible.

I think at that point, how you feel has to be taken into account.

Last year, when I was initially treated for adrenal fatigue, my blood cortisol looked good, but saliva cortisol was low at every reading.

The disparity is discouraging, but if I remember correctly, Dr Wilson's book on Adrenal Fatigue covers why. It was something along the lines of the blood test showing the amount of circulating cortisol in the blood and the saliva showed the amount of 'active' cortisol. Maybe it's wrong (or maybe I remembered it wrong ), but it was something like that.

Sonny
    •   

4. Senior Member

Dr. John is right most saliva test are no good but for cortisol levels doing a 4 x's in a day test is best. I see this with blood tests all the time when your not real bad. The tech. come at you with this big needle your cortisol levels shoot way up and you test is on the high side. The only time I don't see this is when the person is at stage 6 or 7 and a gun shot off next to his head would not get his levels up. We use the Canary Club to test Cortisol and the rest of the tests that some with this price for hormones are usless.
    LAB WORK from Canary Club for special prices. The saliva test is for a full spectrum: thyroid (TSH, free T3, free T4), adrenals (cortisol and DHEA), estrogen, progesterone, testosterone. You can choose from two lab facilities–Diagnos Tech (saliva test for $144.50) or ZRT (saliva plus blood spot test for $199).
    thecanaryclub.org/
    Here is a FAQ's that was made up at STTM web site for Adrenals.
    LAB WORK from Canary Club for special prices. The saliva test is for a full spectrum: thyroid (TSH, free T3, free T4), adrenals (cortisol and DHEA), estrogen, progesterone, testosterone. You can choose from two lab facilities–Diagnos Tech (saliva test for $144.50) or ZRT (saliva plus blood spot test for $199).
    thecanaryclub.org/
    Here is a link on the stages of it.
    http://www.chronicfatigue.org/ASI%201%20.html
  5. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by pmgamer18 View Post
    Dr. John is right most saliva test are no good but for cortisol levels doing a 4 x's in a day test is best. I see this with blood tests all the time when your not real bad. The tech. come at you with this big needle your cortisol levels shoot way up and you test is on the high side. The only time I don't see this is when the person is at stage 6 or 7 and a gun shot off next to his head would not get his levels up. We use the Canary Club to test Cortisol and the rest of the tests that some with this price for hormones are usless.
    thecanaryclub.org/
    Here is a FAQ's that was made up at STTM web site for Adrenals.
    thecanaryclub.org/
    Here is a link on the stages of it.
    http://www.chronicfatigue.org/ASI%201%20.html

I think the doc and needle thing have NOTHING or very little to do with the inconsistency in levels. I think it is the free/bound or cortisol/cortisone thats affecting things. I have been getting shots/blood drawn for years....im usually half alseep and don't even flinch but my blood values are always sky high...and i am stage 6 (at least). But my urines are always low/normal, and my salivas were always very low.

Its something else..the doc needle scare explanation is bs in my view, just something to explain what they cant explain.
  6. New Member

I just had blood taken for cortisol today..used to be an E.M.T and not even close to being afraid of needles so we will se what happens....going for a contrast MRI o saturday, should be interesting.
  7. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyo View Post
    I think the doc and needle thing have NOTHING or very little to do with the inconsistency in levels. I think it is the free/bound or cortisol/cortisone thats affecting things. I have been getting shots/blood drawn for years....im usually half alseep and don't even flinch but my blood values are always sky high...and i am stage 6 (at least). But my urines are always low/normal, and my salivas were always very low.

Its something else..the doc needle scare explanation is bs in my view, just something to explain what they cant explain.
    This makes a lot of sense to me yet a lot of Dr.'s say this even in the UK.

How are you treating your stage 6 I am Hypopituitary was on TRT for 23 yrs. told I am Primary until 2 yrs ago when I added HCG to my shots and my T levels doubled. We looked back over my old labs and they all were screaming a Pituitary Problem. So now last yr. I started treating the things that were low normal Cortisol, Thyroid, DHEA and Aldosterone. I am on 25 mgs of Cortef a day 10mgs at 5am, 5mgs at 9am, 5mgs at 1pm and 5 mgs at dinner. I am doing 3.5 grains of Armour 1.5 grains in the morning, 1 grain at noon and 1 grain at dinner time I put the armour under my tongue.
    I take 25 mgs of DHEA.
    And for the low Aldosterone levels I take .125mgs of Florinef with 1 tsp of Sea Salt in a glass of water 2x's a day. After treating the low Aldosterone levels I finely started feeling better.
  8. Professional Member

How are you treating your stage 6 I am Hypopituitary was on TRT for 23 yrs. told I am Primary until 2 yrs ago when I added HCG to my shots and my T levels doubled. We looked back over my old labs and they all were screaming a Pituitary Problem. So now last yr. I started treating the things that were low normal Cortisol, Thyroid, DHEA and Aldosterone. I am on 25 mgs of Cortef a day 10mgs at 5am, 5mgs at 9am, 5mgs at 1pm and 5 mgs at dinner. I am doing 3.5 grains of Armour 1.5 grains in the morning, 1 grain at noon and 1 grain at dinner time I put the armour under my tongue.I take 25 mgs of DHEA.
    And for the low Aldosterone levels I take .125mgs of Florinef with 1 tsp of Sea Salt in a glass of water 2x's a day. After treating the low Aldosterone levels I finely started feeling better.
    Post your
    FreeT3
    FreeT4
    T3
    T4

I newer really checked if I can use T4 (Synthroid)
    and have it converted to T3. Just keep on using Armour.

Now I added 50mg Levothyroxin (substutute for Synthroid)
    rather than adding 1/2grain of Armour that I need, after my last blood test.
    Will see how it will work.

I am assuming that working (if succesfull) from T4-->T3 conversion
    should be more stable. My body temps are still vary more than I would like.
  9. Senior Member

How are you treating your stage 6 I am Hypopituitary was on TRT for 23 yrs. told I am Primary until 2 yrs ago when I added HCG to my shots and my T levels doubled. We looked back over my old labs and they all were screaming a Pituitary Problem. So now last yr. I started treating the things that were low normal Cortisol, Thyroid, DHEA and Aldosterone. I am on 25 mgs of Cortef a day 10mgs at 5am, 5mgs at 9am, 5mgs at 1pm and 5 mgs at dinner. I am doing 3.5 grains of Armour 1.5 grains in the morning, 1 grain at noon and 1 grain at dinner time I put the armour under my tongue.
    I take 25 mgs of DHEA.
    Well...im in a similar boat, I know we've talked about this many a time at stopthethyroidmadness.com. Dr. John seems to think im leaning towards primary now, although when I added and was on just HCG my test went from 230 to 599 or so...but still very low. The last time we checked, it was just with RHeins and everything, test, estrogens etc. were either low or very very low end of normal.

Right now, I am on 42.5mg of cortef (and my rheins' show normal to normal/slightly high cortisol levels...on that high a dose). I am also up to 3.75 moving to 4 grains armour. I am on .1mg of florinef, 250iu HCG daily, 25mg dhea 2x daily, 100mg/ml pregnenolone cream and just added a few weeks ago some compounded t-gel...50mg/ml 1 ml am. Getting blood and urine work done this tuesday i think. So since everything is somehwat broken we thinking primary, although the hcg did have some effect.

As far as adrenal fatigue....i had one of the worst cases my old doc had ever seen. Im also on 50mg of iodine a day...which i think is very crucial and overlooked by many.
  10. Professional Member

Well...im in a similar boat, I know we've talked about this many a time at stopthethyroidmadness.com. Dr. John seems to think im leaning towards primary now, although when I added and was on just HCG my test went from 230 to 599 or so...but still very low. The last time we checked, it was just with RHeins and everything, test, estrogens etc. were either low or very very low end of normal.

Right now, I am on 42.5mg of cortef (and my rheins' show normal to normal/slightly high cortisol levels...on that high a dose). I am also up to 3.75 moving to 4 grains armour. I am on .1mg of florinef, 250iu HCG daily, 25mg dhea 2x daily, 100mg/ml pregnenolone cream and just added a few weeks ago some compounded t-gel...50mg/ml 1 ml am. Getting blood and urine work done this tuesday i think. So since everything is somehwat broken we thinking primary, although the hcg did have some effect.

As far as adrenal fatigue....i had one of the worst cases my old doc had ever seen. Im also on 50mg of iodine a day...which i think is very crucial and overlooked by many.
    and just added a few weeks ago some compounded t-gel...50mg/ml 1 ml am.
    ------------------------------------------
    Off hand sounds way to little testosterone, provide more details.
  11. New Member

HCG my test went from 230 to 599 or so...but still very low.
    Is that really low? I think 600 is about middle-range. I think we'd all like to be higher than that, but IMHO not "very low". I think 650 was about the average for 35 year olds according to something I read. The standard deviation was large, maybe 150 or so, so there is a lot of variability among individuals...

Mark
  12. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLA View Post
    Is that really low? I think 600 is about middle-range. I think we'd all like to be higher than that, but IMHO not "very low". I think 650 was about the average for 35 year olds according to something I read. The standard deviation was large, maybe 150 or so, so there is a lot of variability among individuals...

Mark

im 24....not 35 or 50. And thankfully Dr. Crisler recognizes that. I had a past endo who thought I was ok or normal because I was at total t at 243 and the range was like 220-1100.

Also you have to take into account FT, SHBG, albumin etc. to get bioavailable test (plus estrogen levels)...mine was all piss poor.
  13. Professional Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLA View Post

Mark
    I would say there are two desirable/acceptable testosterone levels.

Using dr Shippen's chart, post #41
    Jan's BloodTest April13/2007

Natural-- FreeT ~160 (100 being bottom of possibly acceptable)

Supplemented-- FreeT(160-250)
    (I got this from one of the members via PM, supposedly it is from dr Shippen)
    -----------------------------------------

Lately, dr Delgado supports FreeT~300

I am aiming at 300.
    -----------------------------------------
    Note that TotalTestosterone is not mentioned above.
    TT should be as need to acheive proper FreeT
  14. Senior Member

First let me say I ran out of Maca 4 weeks before this lab and I had added .5 grains of amour.
    My Free T3 showed lower then when I was on 3 grains of armour but I was taking Maca at the time.
    Free T3 342 down from last test of 382 range 230 to 420 pg/dl I feel it went down even adding .5 grains do to stoping maca.
    Free T4 was 1.0 up from .9 range 0.8 to 1.8 ng/dl I am told this is low because my body is using up the T4 to keep T3 up.
    I was going to add in some T4 only and am going to wait until I see my next test next week. If T4 is still low I am going to 4 grains of Armour if this does not do it the I am adding just a small amount if T4 to the armour.
    Quote Originally Posted by JanSz View Post
    Post your
    FreeT3
    FreeT4
    T3
    T4

I newer really checked if I can use T4 (Synthroid)
    and have it converted to T3. Just keep on using Armour.

Now I added 50mg Levothyroxin (substutute for Synthroid)
    rather than adding 1/2grain of Armour that I need, after my last blood test.
    Will see how it will work.

I am assuming that working (if succesfull) from T4-->T3 conversion
    should be more stable. My body temps are still vary more than I would like.
  15. Senior Member

Do you think maca is that useful? and if so, please post brand again.....i hate using a whole cupboard full of supps but if its agoodie, ill add it back in..
  16. Senior Member

Now see I am told you can't test Cortisol when your on HC I feel maybe you can to tell if you have adrenal problems but if you know you have this probelm whats wrong with testing it to see if your shut down or not doing enough. I have been doing a morning fasting blood cortisol test no meds after 6pm the night before. My test comes back at 12 telling me I am not on to much. I don't have Dr. Jefferies book with me "Safe Uses of Cortisol" and he tested his people to see if they were on enough or to little.

I was having a dam big problem being Dehydreated and holding to much water. I have been on Dyazide/Triamterne 37.5 & 25 mgs 3 days a week for the last 15 yrs because being on TRT makes me hold water. Now I find out my aldosterone levels are dam low and start on Florinef up to
    .125mgs a day in the morning. I started feeling so much better it was unbievable. Then I am adding in Sea Salt doing good for weeks. Then all of a sudden I am very fatigued and can't breathe again my Dr. checked me and told my I am holding to much water yet I am dehydreated. He told me to take the Dyazide/Triamterne every otherday. I did and was not feeling better. I ran out of it and had a refill last monday. Now I feel fine starting to day and am now able to cut back on the Sea Salt. I think the Pills I has were no good a generic brand yet the refill is also a generic but from a different lab. This does piss me off how can we be on the same med yet it does not work from lab to lab that makes it.

17. Senior Member

I know this works a friend tryed it with his armour and he went hyper had to lower his armour.
    I get it by the pound and take a big tsp full mixed in some apple sause in the morning and a big tsp full in some yogurt at noon.
    http://www.macaweb.com/?pid=products_dtl&pn=11-002
    Do you think maca is that useful? and if so, please post brand again.....i hate using a whole cupboard full of supps but if its agoodie, ill add it back in..
  18. Senior Member

have you tried adding either lugol's iodine or iodoral? that might be why your free t4 is lower....have you ever checked your total t3 and t4 to see if you just don't have the micronutrient reserves to make it?

also, how long does a 1lb bag last at that dosage?
  19. New Member

Just had my appt. with Dr. Crisler yesterday.. When I mentioned that I'm getting ready to have four point saliva test for cortisol to determine Adrenal fatigue, he dismissed the test as invalid and asked me to do an ACTH test. I don't know anything about the later test and would like some info from you guys.
  20. New Member

Some Points on Cortisol Testing

Quote Originally Posted by BigAk View Post
    Just had my appt. with Dr. Crisler yesterday.. When I mentioned that I'm getting ready to have four point saliva test for cortisol to determine Adrenal fatigue, he dismissed the test as invalid and asked me to do an ACTH test. I don't know anything about the later test and would like some info from you guys.

A very good friend of mine has been a patient at a major metro hospital (ranked 4th in the country) for a serious hypercortisolism problem that he has had for over five years. It probably started actually in the late 90s but he didn't recognize early symptoms until around 2002 and then very bad symptoms in 2004. The very advanced specialist doctor (highly published in his field and teaches at a major university in NE Ohio) always performed 24-hour Urinary Free Cortisol Tests to check my friends cortisol levels. Interestingly, when he was determined to have a serious hypercortisolism problem, to help determine what kind of problem it was and what was causing it, he had a number of really fancy tests done.

But he also had "Midnight Salivary Tests" done where he would collect saliva samples at Midnight and then mail them into the Lab. If they were above a certain level it meant one thing and if it was real low it meant that he didn't have the serious tumor related version. Then in late 2005 his specialist sent him to NIH Hospital in Bethesda, MD - the big government hospital that specializes in advanced research. He was there for either two or three weeks of around the clock testing on this problem.

What I found interesting, was that he later mentioned that the specialist at NIH used both Saliva Tests and Blood Draws at midnight to check his cortisol levels. Apparently levels start rising in the morning and then level off during the day and then gradually start dropping as evening comes on. And then as it gets to late evening the cortisol levels fall like a rock. In fact he told me that they explained how it was the low levels of cortisol and raised levels of melatonin that causes the body to fall asleep.

But the main point is that it appears there must be some validity to salivary tests for specifically cortisol just in the fact of its use by two major and advanced medical centers.

Now my friend has also emphasized that the salivary test - even the 4 x version - and the blood test version are both pretty useless in determining what your overall cortisol results are as those other tests are just taking a "snapshot" of what your cortisol is at the precise moment, and that it could be a little high, but okay, for right then, but be really, really high (or the low opposite) for the day as a whole) and that is why the hypo and hypercortisol experts consistently use the 24-hour UFC test as their "gold standard" in determining what overall cortisol levels are. In fact advanced doctors will most usually have the patient do like three 24-hr UFCs over a 2 week time period to get an even bigger picture.

:chick:

I also found the comments on Maca raising cortisol levels. I find that interesting and would really like to see any studies that show that to be the case (and not studies done by some university in Peru - where they grow Maca - that are funded by the Peruvian government which is trying for years now to get Maca established as a major cash crop). I find that anecdotal evidence can be interesting... but can never discount the fact that there isn't a certain degree of Placebo Effect in play there. most unbiased studies that I have seen concerning Maca shows that it is basically a small turnip or large radish - and has about the same "super" properties.

From one reputable site:

Today, dried maca root is ground to powder and sold in capsules as a food supplement and marketed to increase stamina (sexual and athletic) and fertility. Consumers bombarded with these marketing claims of hormonal balancing, thyroid stimulation (and resulting weight loss), sexual and athletic performance, and others need note: the indigenous uses to which marketers refer are in dosages by the ounce and pound daily-not just a few grams. No race of superhumans (with incredible sexual or athletic prowess) exists in the Andes, despite the fact that they eat, on average, five pounds of maca per week! When maca first made its debut in the press about 6 years ago it was touted to be the new "natural ViagraTM" for men - sure to increase testosterone and sexual performance. After brisk sales, the market decreased because it simply didn't work as it was claimed. Several years later, and soon after the national media had a field day with the reported negative effects of conventional estrogen replacement therapy, marketers of maca shifted strategies and are today marketing maca as the "new HRT alternative" for women - sure to increase estrogen and treat menopause symptoms. Once again, maca sales are strong again. Unfortunately, maca will not live up to this new marketing claim either. Make no doubt - maca is a wonderful source of natural vital nutrients. The synergy of so many amino acids, vitamins, and minerals in their natural states may increase the assimilation, uptake, and utilization of them in the body. Consumers however, shouldn't expect "miracle cures" with maca - its rather like taking a multi-vitamin supplement. Keep in mind that it is, in fact, a root vegetable and a main staple in the Andean indigenous diet
    So in other words, Peruvian people eat this as part of their regular diet at the rate of five or moer pounds per week. Figures from the 2006 revision of the United Nations World Population Prospects report show that the overall (male and female) life expexctancy in the United States is 78.2 years of age. In Albania it is 76. 4 years of age. In French Guiana it is 75.9 years of age. In Jordan it is 75.2 years of age. In PERU? In Peru it is 71.4 (and much less in the rural areas where they eat little meat and high quality animal foods like dairy and eggs - but do consume apparently large quantities of Maca).

ose:
  21. Senior Member

No never tried Lugol's Iodine I am told you never should take this unless you get this tested first. Yet I hear Kelp works good in this link about Adrenal Fatigue the Dr. says if you have low Aldosterone levels to take this with some Sea Salt and a Veg. juice like V8 in a glass of water to help keep you from being dehydrated.
    http://www.lammd.com/A3R_brief_in_do...al_fatigue.cfm
    http://www.myvitanet.com/ke100cafor3n.html
    Or this is said to be safe I may try this or have it tested.
    http://www.myvitanet.com/kel2ozliqwor.html

I do the Maca 3 months on and one month off others do 3 weeks on and one off. It lasts more the 90 days.
    have you tried adding either lugol's iodine or iodoral? that might be why your free t4 is lower....have you ever checked your total t3 and t4 to see if you just don't have the micronutrient reserves to make it?

also, how long does a 1lb bag last at that dosage?
  22. Senior Member

I never seen Maca help Cortisol levels mine are low because I am Hypopituitary and I have been on Maca for a long time took it to help with my libido and amount of seamen. When I first tested my Cortisol it was blood test then I ordered a Saliva test and it showed the same thing as my blood test. We then did a ACTH Stim. test and I was glaid I read up on this test first. Because they did not draw blood of Cortisol or ACTH before giving me the shot. So I did not do it until I found a better Dr. to do the test. My family Dr. does not do this test. Here is a good link on the test.
    http://forums.realthyroidhelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=208
    Here is some info I have had for a long time on maca.
    ============================== ========
    The following is some info I sent someone recently. Maca was shown
    not to increase Testosteone in scientific experiments.

Maca stimulates the adrenals to produce it's own cortisol and DHEA
    and probably a few other hormones as well. Since Maca is a food, it
    has to be taken in much larger doses than what is recommended on some
    products found in Health Food stores. I was doing great on 3
    compacted level teaspoons(using a measuring teaspoon), which is the
    approximate dose that most people find benefit at. Maca is expensive
    at this dosage if purchased from a health food store and so it is
    best to purchase it in bulk 1kg packages, which actually turns out to
    be quite cheap.

This is a website by a lady that uses Maca and she provides good
    information and dosing instructions as well:
    http://allaboutmaca.dreamstation.com/

This website sells Maca in bulk at the best prices I've seen:
    http://www.therootofthematter.ca/cgi-bin/itsmy/go.exe?
    page=1&domain=12&webdir=theroo tofthematter

The following is an excerpt from a doctor that personally uses Maca
    for adrenal function:

"Henry Campanile, MD., offers Adrenal Balancing Maca root
    In keeping with its mode of acting through the hypothalamus and
    pituitary, maca has a balancing and nourishing effect on the adrenal
    glands. Henry Campanile, MD, a 50-year old specialist in internal and
    family/complementary medicine practising in Florida states: "I happen
    to have been born with only one adrenal gland just like my father. I
    started taking cortisone in my late twenties to relieve the fatigue
    which I was already feeling. Knowing the dangers of long term
    cortisone use, I looked around for an alternative, and this
    circumstance is what got me interested in complementary medicine. I
    started using pregnenelone about 10 years ago and it has been fairly
    satisfactory. But one of my patients told me about Maca and I started
    taking it about a month ago.

It is phenomenal! I haven't felt this good since I was 20 years old.
    I have so much energy and look so well, my patients have remarked on
    it and told me how rested I seem. I've got so much energy now, that
    I've started an exercise program". After trying it on himself, Dr
    Campanile began using maca with his patients. My first patient to
    take maca capsules was experiencing hot flashes and other menopausal
    symptoms. She started feeling much better after using this herb for
    only four days. I'm also employing it with patients who have a low
    adrenal function." "

The following are informational links for Maca:

http://www.imperialgoldmaca.com/nutritional_value.htm
    http://www.medicine-plants.com/articles/145/
    http://health.discovery.com/centers/...bido/maca.html
    http://www.rain-tree.com/maca.htm
    http://www.maca-miracle.com/maca_composition.html
    http://www.macaroot.com/science/hormone.html
  23. New Member

I never seen Maca help Cortisol levels mine are low because I am Hypopituitary and I have been on Maca for a long time took it to help with my libido and amount of seamen. When I first tested my Cortisol it was blood test then I ordered a Saliva test and it showed the same thing as my blood test. We then did a ACTH Stim. test and I was glaid I read up on this test first. Because they did not draw blood of Cortisol or ACTH before giving me the shot. So I did not do it until I found a better Dr. to do the test. My family Dr. does not do this test. Here is a good link on the test.
    http://forums.realthyroidhelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=208
    Here is some info I have had for a long time on maca.
    ============================== ========
    The following is some info I sent someone recently. Maca was shown
    not to increase Testosteone in scientific experiments.

Maca stimulates the adrenals to produce it's own cortisol and DHEA
    and probably a few other hormones as well. Since Maca is a food, it
    has to be taken in much larger doses than what is recommended on some
    products found in Health Food stores. I was doing great on 3
    compacted level teaspoons(using a measuring teaspoon), which is the
    approximate dose that most people find benefit at. Maca is expensive
    at this dosage if purchased from a health food store and so it is
    best to purchase it in bulk 1kg packages, which actually turns out to
    be quite cheap.

This is a website by a lady that uses Maca and she provides good
    information and dosing instructions as well:
    http://allaboutmaca.dreamstation.com/

This website sells Maca in bulk at the best prices I've seen:
    http://www.therootofthematter.ca/cgi-bin/itsmy/go.exe?
    page=1&domain=12&webdir=theroo tofthematter

The following is an excerpt from a doctor that personally uses Maca
    for adrenal function:

"Henry Campanile, MD., offers Adrenal Balancing Maca root
    In keeping with its mode of acting through the hypothalamus and
    pituitary, maca has a balancing and nourishing effect on the adrenal
    glands. Henry Campanile, MD, a 50-year old specialist in internal and
    family/complementary medicine practising in Florida states: "I happen
    to have been born with only one adrenal gland just like my father. I
    started taking cortisone in my late twenties to relieve the fatigue
    which I was already feeling. Knowing the dangers of long term
    cortisone use, I looked around for an alternative, and this
    circumstance is what got me interested in complementary medicine. I
    started using pregnenelone about 10 years ago and it has been fairly
    satisfactory. But one of my patients told me about Maca and I started
    taking it about a month ago.

It is phenomenal! I haven't felt this good since I was 20 years old.
    I have so much energy and look so well, my patients have remarked on
    it and told me how rested I seem. I've got so much energy now, that
    I've started an exercise program". After trying it on himself, Dr
    Campanile began using maca with his patients. My first patient to
    take maca capsules was experiencing hot flashes and other menopausal
    symptoms. She started feeling much better after using this herb for
    only four days. I'm also employing it with patients who have a low
    adrenal function." "

The following are informational links for Maca:

http://www.imperialgoldmaca.com/nutritional_value.htm
    http://www.medicine-plants.com/articles/145/
    http://health.discovery.com/centers/...bido/maca.html
    http://www.maca-miracle.com/maca_composition.html
    http://www.macaroot.com/science/hormone.html

Almost all of these links are from people who sell Maca or are indirectly involved with sellers of Maca - or are disinformation specialists planted to "spread the word" about Maca...

The 1st link one sees this, for instance:

The scientist responsible for most of the current knowledge of the maca plant is Gloria Chacon de Popivici, PhD, a Peruvian biologist trained at the University of San Marcos, in Lima, Peru. Dr. Chacon wrote her dissertation in the early l960’s on the maca root, and did groundbreaking work on the plant by discovering a new species. By analyzing its chemical actives, she pinpointed their hormonal effects. Dr. Chacon also authored a book describing the root’s nourishing micronutrients: La importancia de Lepidium peruvianum Chacon (Maca) en la Alimentacion y Salud del ser Humano y Animal 2,000 Ados Antes y Despues de Cristo y en el Siglo. Published in Lima, in 1997, the book is a definitive study on maca and discusses its use from 8000 BC to the present and into the 21st century.
    This "study" was funded by and fervently pushed by the Peruvian government (at that time) as they were desperately seeking to make Maca into an important cash crop (Peru does NOT have a lot of arable land so a turnip-like crop that would grow wild and semi-wild in the high mountains would be perfect!). Peru's government funded this study and there were NO special compounds or substances found in the plant. Just minoor levels of amino acids - and then (like all plant foods) incomplete proteins of amino acids, miniimal amounts of minerals and other nutrients, etc. Note the paragraph sounds great... but doesn't really come out and say anything of importance!

We then get some anecdotal "ecidence" from a couple of doctors who allegedly use Maca (who knows if that is even true... and besides, these were doctors from back around the time of the 1960s and 1970s from what my Maca expert sources tell me, and were simply a part of the "Push maca Movement"...

Where are the placebo-controlled, double-blind studies???

Well, there are very few - and the ones that there are don't spell out good tidings for Maca!

The other links are basically sales sites which will pretty much say whatever they can to suck you in... The only other link listed there worth its salt is:

This web site has this to say:

Maca's fertility-enhancing properties were reported as early as 1961, when researchers discovered that it increased fertility in rats. Marketing and resulting sales of maca for sexual function has been fueled by clinical research since. The majority of this research, however, has been performed or funded by two main marketers of maca products in the U.S. and abroad! Also suspect to the independent scientific community are studies that "measure libido enhancement" - these are known to be highly subjective. Study protocols can also be easily orchestrated to provide desired outcomes and results; therefore, many trained industry and medical professionals note this brand of (product-sponsored) research with mild interest at best.
    The first study reporting maca's effect on sexual function was published in 2000 (and performed by a marketer of maca) and described the beneficial effects of using maca in impotent mice and rats. Another, published a year later, indicated similar effects in male rats. Studies in 2001 reported a beneficial effect on male sperm production in rats and improvement of sperm count and motility in nine healthy adult men. In 2002 a study reported improved sexual performance in inexperienced male rats; another "self-perception on sexual desire" test in healthy men reported aphrodisiac or libido enhancement effects. In several of the rat and mice studies, the animals were administered up to 4 g per kg of body weight of a "concentrated maca extract" to achieve the reported results. This would (approximately) equate to a 300 g (10 oz.) dose for an average 170 lb. man! (NOTE: A 170-lb man would have to take over 1/2 lbs not of the root powder, but of the CONCENTRATED EXTRACT to achieve those "supposed results! TJack) None of these studies, however, indicated a possible mechanism of action - or related these observed effects to constituents or chemicals contained in maca root....

Where diet and nutrition are poor (a common problem in the Andes, home to so few green, leafy vegetables), maca is a vital part of the diet - providing the necessary nutrients to keep the body healthy and functioning efficiently. The marketing claim made that maca actually increases testosterone or sex hormones has been clinically disproved just recently. In a 2003 double-blind placebo human trial, men taking a maca root extract (1.5-3 g daily) evidenced no changes in any reproductive hormonal level tested, including testosterone (which actually showed a slight decrease!).

Today, dried maca root is ground to powder and sold in capsules as a food supplement and marketed to increase stamina (sexual and athletic) and fertility. Consumers bombarded with these marketing claims of hormonal balancing, thyroid stimulation (and resulting weight loss), sexual and athletic performance, and others need note: the indigenous uses to which marketers refer are in dosages by the ounce and pound daily-not just a few grams. No race of superhumans (with incredible sexual or athletic prowess) exists in the Andes, despite the fact that they eat, on average, five pounds of maca per week! When maca first made its debut in the press about 6 years ago it was touted to be the new "natural ViagraTM" for men - sure to increase testosterone and sexual performance. After brisk sales, the market decreased because it simply didn't work as it was claimed. Several years later, and soon after the national media had a field day with the reported negative effects of conventional estrogen replacement therapy, marketers of maca shifted strategies and are today marketing maca as the "new HRT alternative" for women - sure to increase estrogen and treat menopause symptoms. Once again, maca sales are strong again. Unfortunately, maca will not live up to this new marketing claim either.
    Make no doubt - maca is a wonderful source of natural vital nutrients. The synergy of so many amino acids, vitamins, and minerals in their natural states may increase the assimilation, uptake, and utilization of them in the body. Consumers however, shouldn't expect "miracle cures" with maca - its rather like taking a multi-vitamin supplement.
    So if you want a fairly expensive, fairly poor tasting generic multivitamin - with some extra amino acids, then Maca is maybe just what you are looking for!

However a good commercial multivitamin / multimineral and a 5-lb jug of whey protein will definitely do you a lot better!

:clean:
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 10:28 AM
  2. Blood work test results
    By funkja in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 01:30 PM
  3. Cortisol Blocker Vs Anti-Aromatase
    By omg in forum Supplements
    Replies: 28