Dealing with Chronic High Cortisol

Kasumeat

Awards
Are there any members here who can offer any advice when it comes to dealing with chronic high cortisol? My adrenals have been tested and appear to be functioning normally, but cortisol tests always show up with my baseline as very high. I have all of the classic symptoms of high cortisol: skinny limbs, thick trunk, lots of fat on the face and belly, fatigue, and so on.

The past several years have had a combination of depression, stress, overtraining/undereating which are likely to be the cause. I have the latter in order, but the former two, not so much. Besides the obvious "just relax", is there anything I can do to help cope?

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Are there any members here who can offer any advice when it comes to dealing with chronic high cortisol? My adrenals have been tested and appear to be functioning normally, but cortisol tests always show up with my baseline as very high. I have all of the classic symptoms of high cortisol: skinny limbs, thick trunk, lots of fat on the face and belly, fatigue, and so on.

The past several years have had a combination of depression, stress, overtraining/undereating which are likely to be the cause. I have the latter in order, but the former two, not so much. Besides the obvious "just relax", is there anything I can do to help cope?

First identify it before assuming it
thing that helped out number of my clients was ZMA and they swear it as well as idenitfying what you may be imbalanced with mineral wise. calm your sympathetic system and increase your parasympathetic system. Salvia cortisol rest from canary hormones would be a good start to find hormonal imbalnace then go from there. stay off computer after dark and get up with the sun. 80% of american are vitamin defienct and with out D you can not absorb calcium or magnesium and methyation then gets screwed and end up with congested liver and hormone issues

Kasumeat

Awards
First identify it before assuming it
thing that helped out number of my clients was ZMA and they swear it as well as idenitfying what you may be imbalanced with mineral wise. calm your sympathetic system and increase your parasympathetic system. Salvia cortisol rest from canary hormones would be a good start to find hormonal imbalnace then go from there. stay off computer after dark and get up with the sun. 80% of american are vitamin defienct and with out D you can not absorb calcium or magnesium and methyation then gets screwed and end up with congested liver and hormone issues
How would you specifically identify this issue other than a process of elimination? I've had resting cortisol tested, it was at the very top of the normal range. ACTH test was somewhat anomalous: again, cortisol was at the top of the range to begin with (ACTH wasn't that high though), and it stayed there.

I almost wish that this wasn't the case, but I'm already following the regime you suggested. I'm up at 7:30 most days (and I'm about to go to bed now, honest), I supplement ZMA, and get as much sun as I can, although that can be tough here in Canada. I'm still tanned, for what that's worth.

superone

Awards
  • Established
If you want to lower cortisol read up on Retain 2.

DHEA would probabbly be a good idea in combination.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Get yourself some extra B-Vitamins (especially b3, b5, b6, and b12) and Vitamin C.

Adaptogenic herbs can also help. Such things as Rhodiola, Eleuthero, Ginseng, ashwaganda, schizranda, gotu kola, gynostemma, and horny goat weed (not technically an adaptogen, but very helpful).

Pregnelone and or DHEA as already mentioned.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
High cortisol in the morning is a good thing back in the day they wanted a reading of 25 -30 for morning cortisol now ND and dr jefferies look for readings of less then 16 as adrenal fatigue. Question is that you can have high cortisol but your free cortisol be low so you think its high and actually its really low. Look to alklaline phophotase as an indicator of possible hypoadrenal problems if it is less then 70-80 then need to further investigate free levels via urine or salvia. Do not assume it is high when really it can also be low. Cortisol is a tricky monster and actually IMO its only homrone that can be tested accurately freely in salvia..Dr marianico verified this and dr john has commented on it as well.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
I'll look into those, thanks.
your in the early stages of adrenal fatigue. Instead of just getting supplemental bandaids, you need to make some life changes and get your body re-tooled (before your high cortisol makes your body crap out and then you have low cortisol....which is much worse).

my advice, take a couple weeks off at least from exercise. Identify 'stressors' in your life. Add in some lugol's iodine or iodoral.....most people are horribly deficient, and it affects so many things in the adrenal/thyroid pathways.

then, start adding in some LOW dose DHEA and perhaps pregnenolone, but I would do this AFTER you get a saliva adrenal test done. Also, if you want to go the supplement route, make sure you have good anti-inflams..fish oil, turmeric, and a good probiotic.

But the key is to eliminate stress and ALL the causes of cortisol. And stay away from Retain and the likes....they will just make you worse unless you identify causal factors.

TJack

Awards

You should be worried - especially with those symptoms - of having early stage Cushing's (there is Cushing's Disease, Cushing's Syndrome, Exogenous Cushing's and Pseudo Cushing's). They are all forms of extreme hypocortisolism... and are all very serious.

I posted earlier today in regards to a friend of mine who went through this and (just his luck) had a very rare version of Pseudo Cushing's which is now stabalized but could take years to clear up!

See posting at this link:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/76275-cortisol-blood-vs.html

You NEED to find an endocrinologist who is knowledgabe in Cushing disorders - and be prepared for a significant amount of testing, starting out with probably 2 - 3 of the 24-hour Urinary Free Cortisol tests.

If your cortisol levels are coming back high, then I see no sign of adrenal fatigue setting in... plus your physical symptoms are for the most part the exact opposite of adrenal fatigue! Hypercortisolism will - after the first few days - result also in fatigue symptoms.. and the remaining symptoms are classical for hypercortisolism and not hypocortisolism!

http://www.endocrineweb.com/obesity.html
http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/cortisol/test.html
http://www.moorevet.com/Canine/cushings.htm

I am sure that my friend has numerous links with much more technical information. He also belongs to a Cushing's forum... These are just soe very absic links.

And, by the way, at just under age 50 his hypogonadism, a very abrupt almost overnight hyogonadism, was caused by his hypercortisolism Cushing's condition.

Literally wiped out his testicular ability to poduce meaningful amounts of Testosterone As i recall his early Total T tests when he suddenly went ED and loss of libido were averaging 140 - 150 in a reference range of 220 - 1000.

:bruce2:

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
You should be worried - especially with those symptoms - of having early stage Cushing's (there is Cushing's Disease, Cushing's Syndrome, Exogenous Cushing's and Pseudo Cushing's). They are all forms of extreme hypocortisolism... and are all very serious.

I posted earlier today in regards to a friend of mine who went through this and (just his luck) had a very rare version of Pseudo Cushing's which is now stabalized but could take years to clear up!

See posting at this link:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/76275-cortisol-blood-vs.html

You NEED to find an endocrinologist who is knowledgabe in Cushing disorders - and be prepared for a significant amount of testing, starting out with probably 2 - 3 of the 24-hour Urinary Free Cortisol tests.

If your cortisol levels are coming back high, then I see no sign of adrenal fatigue setting in... plus your physical symptoms are for the most part the exact opposite of adrenal fatigue! Hypercortisolism will - after the first few days - result also in fatigue symptoms.. and the remaining symptoms are classical for hypercortisolism and not hypocortisolism!

http://www.endocrineweb.com/obesity.html
http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/cortisol/test.html
http://www.moorevet.com/Canine/cushings.htm

I am sure that my friend has numerous links with much more technical information. He also belongs to a Cushing's forum... These are just soe very absic links.

And, by the way, at just under age 50 his hypogonadism, a very abrupt almost overnight hyogonadism, was caused by his hypercortisolism Cushing's condition.

Literally wiped out his testicular ability to poduce meaningful amounts of Testosterone As i recall his early Total T tests when he suddenly went ED and loss of libido were averaging 140 - 150 in a reference range of 220 - 1000.

:bruce2:

most cases of hypocortisolemia are a result of first having hyper and then the body simply shutting down and refusing to produce even the necessary amounts of cortisol for proper functioning....

id bet at least 9 out of 10 of the guys here who have hypocortisolemia and are on HC or equivalents first had hyper levels....I know I did.

While cushings is a possibility, most bodies respond over time by shutting down cortisol production rather than full blown cushings.

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Nobody has mentioned phosphatidylserine, so I figured I would throw it out there.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I agree with most here and add that you should identify the causes of the stress etc:

1. Do you sleep enough?

2. How stressful is your job?

3. Do you feel peaceful most of the day, happy or strung out and stressed?

I would highly recommend X-Lean, Retain or Retain2, also when / if it comes out 3AD by AX.

The count for X-Lean just went up from 60 - 90 count I believe per bottle.

Much Love,

Neoborn

...Treat the cause ....not the symptom

anyman

Awards
  • Established
Could someone explain what persistently high Cortisol means and how it affects us?

I ask as several tests, including a 24 hr unrine test, taken over the past several months have consistenly shown cortisol readings on the high side of normal or, more commonly, just touching the max of the recommended range.

What are the symptoms of higher cortisol, what does it mean and what can/should be doen about it?

I wonder if my lower T is a product of higher cortisol or is instead caused by it. Hmmmmm.......

Kasumeat

Awards
I agree with most here and add that you should identify the causes of the stress etc:

1. Do you sleep enough?

2. How stressful is your job?

3. Do you feel peaceful most of the day, happy or strung out and stressed?

I would highly recommend X-Lean, Retain or Retain2, also when / if it comes out 3AD by AX.

The count for X-Lean just went up from 60 - 90 count I believe per bottle.

Much Love,

Neoborn

...Treat the cause ....not the symptom
1. I sleep about 8.5 hours a day, which is just short of optimal for me.

2. I go to college, in health sciences. There is a lot of work and it's quite stressful.

3. I constantly feel pressured, and it takes very little for me to feel like I'm losing it, like I'm totally out of control. Even when I have time for recreation, there isn't much that I find satisfying. I find that school is especially bad: I know that there is always an upcoming assignment or test that I feel I have to be worried about, and can't truly relax knowing they're coming. I have a very restricted social life, and don't get much satisfaction of it either.

I appreciate all the great feedback. I'm looking into all of these suggestions and I'll let you know what my plan is from here once I decide.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
the way you talk about handling stress...id assume you are fairly along the adrenal fatigue spectrum. address it now before it gets real bad.

and start finding things that are stress relieving. look into yoga, seriously, or at least some deep relaxation/meditation technique stuff.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Jesus God All Mighty... I will continue to preach Relora acrossed these types of threads. Look up the clinical studies done on Relora. Relora should be taken continuously and has changed my life. I have been taking Relora at 750mg per day (divided in 3 doses) and then relied on the Relora in Retain 2 for a continuation. I'm at about 1000 mgs per day now. The max dose without any reported sides is 1500 mgs, and I'm a pretty good size so I'll bump it to 1500 mgs after I'm done with Retain 2 and keep it at that permenantly.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Jesus God All Mighty... I will continue to preach Relora acrossed these types of threads. Look up the clinical studies done on Relora. Relora should be taken continuously and has changed my life. I have been taking Relora at 750mg per day (divided in 3 doses) and then relied on the Relora in Retain 2 for a continuation. I'm at about 1000 mgs per day now. The max dose without any reported sides is 1500 mgs, and I'm a pretty good size so I'll bump it to 1500 mgs after I'm done with Retain 2 and keep it at that permenantly.
High cortisol is easy to fic low cortisol is the real biatch !!

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
and if you don't fix the problem, and merely add bandaids, then you oftenwill end up with low cortisol due to exhaustion of adrenal stores.

TJack

Awards
most cases of hypocortisolemia are a result of first having hyper and then the body simply shutting down and refusing to produce even the necessary amounts of cortisol for proper functioning....

id bet at least 9 out of 10 of the guys here who have hypocortisolemia and are on HC or equivalents first had hyper levels....I know I did.

While cushings is a possibility, most bodies respond over time by shutting down cortisol production rather than full blown cushings.

All that I can tell you is what I know that happened with my friend. If one has marginally high cortisol and is a havy trainer, then the key is to stop - or at least cut way down - on training - and let the body repair itself. If one doesn;t do that then they are in a "forced hypercortisolism" condition and, yes, will eventually "burn out their adrenals" and have a pretty serious case of adrenal fatigue (not necessarily Addison's Disease), but definitely adrenal fatigue.

But, seeing as how the serious ramifications of Cushing's can be (on the average, uncontrolled Cushings reduce lifespans by 10 - 20 years), I know that if I a few high cortisol level reading in a row, that I would be taking the next step to see if it is possible that it could be early-stage Cushings...

And I believe the individual starting this thread had a situation where he had multiple high level readings of cortisol... so why discussing HYPO at all at this point?

anyman

Awards
  • Established
So, how does one "fix" the underlying issue and not just apply a band aid?

As one poster here notes, fixing the underlying cause is best . The question is: How?

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Get someone to come round nag you? Slap you? Jump from bushes etc when you're not expecting?

Have them randomly cancel bill payments for you, have your wife tell you, "we're expecting quadruplets" etc

That should help :run:

Much Love,

Neoborn