Tightness in Chest

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am sorry if this is not in the correct section but i think this might be the right one. I am having an issue sometimes with a feeling I get every once in a while. What usually happens is I feel a tightness in my chest, I don't know if this is actual tightness or just anxiety. It feels as if my ribcage is to small or is pushing in on me. I then begin to stress about this feeling and I get lightheaded. I have never actually passed out. While I have somewhat gotten used to the feeling of my chest the lightheadedness is not as bad. but this feeling in my chest is worrisom to me. Does anyone have any idea what this may be? By the way I am 25.

dougfl

dougfl

Awards
Sounds like a classic Panick Attack, Go to your doctor and get checked out. Once you rule out any medical conditions, you can get help for anxiety. This is very treatable with either medication, therapy or both. Good Luck

TiredOldFart

Awards
Sounds like a classic Panick Attack, Go to your doctor and get checked out. Once you rule out any medical conditions, you can get help for anxiety. This is very treatable with either medication, therapy or both. Good Luck
I think you nailed it Doug. I hope his work-up turns out okay and I think that's likely at 25 YO.

Panic attack should be treated early because it can become quite disabling when each episode reinforces worry. Some end up staying home in fear of future attacks. Cognitive Behavior Therapy should be at least a part of the treatment and if successful, it's preferable to just medicating with xanax.

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established
I am sorry if this is not in the correct section but i think this might be the right one. I am having an issue sometimes with a feeling I get every once in a while. What usually happens is I feel a tightness in my chest, I don't know if this is actual tightness or just anxiety. It feels as if my ribcage is to small or is pushing in on me. I then begin to stress about this feeling and I get lightheaded. I have never actually passed out. While I have somewhat gotten used to the feeling of my chest the lightheadedness is not as bad. but this feeling in my chest is worrisom to me. Does anyone have any idea what this may be? By the way I am 25.
It does sound like a panic attack, but I would also leave adult onset asthma on the table.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thanks everybody, i appreciate this very much. i had a feeling that this is what i was dealing with. i will definetely keep the aathma on the table.

just a note, i tend to have this feeling more after consuming caffiene. i would imagine that cant be very good for a person prone to panic attacks. thanks again for everyones input

RPHMark

Awards
Caffeine tends to raise BP and heart rate, which can bring on or exacerbate a panic attack. But do what they already mentioned, have it checked to be sure it's not your heart.