Failed Test + HCG: Postmortem...what happened?

T800

T800

Awards
Hi Guys,

I have gone off of "regular" Test + HCG TRT and back onto Nolvadex.

I was very reluctant to make this move since the Test + HCG combo brings some benefits that are of high importance to me: Libido, muscle mass, strength, confidence, etc.

Let me finish a quick summary of these past 4 months and then we'll discuss.

Sonny

T800

T800

Awards
Before Test + HCG: I had been on Nolvadex at 20mg/day for about a year. I found it to be very stable TRT, but it had some annoying problems:

1. Low and sporadic libido
2. Getting tired extremely quickly when doing anything physical like running, lifting weights, etc.
3. Very dry skin
4. The combination of Nolvadex + Armour Thyroid makes it extremely hard for me to gain any muscle. I think this is mainly a thyroid issue because I have to eat like a horse (~4000 calories/day to maintain my weight).

Overall, felt pretty good, but definitely room for improvement.

Last labs before ending this protocol:

Sonny

Megazoid

Awards
Hi Guys,

I have gone off of "regular" Test + HCG TRT and back onto Nolvadex.

I was very reluctant to make this move since the Test + HCG combo brings some benefits that are of high importance to me: Libido, muscle mass, strength, confidence, etc.

Let me finish a quick summary of these past 4 months and then we'll discuss.

Sonny
Sonny, can't understand why you would come off this combination if everything was going so well. On test + HCG you were getting great libido, erections, muscle mass and so fourth so what was the "put-down"?

T800

T800

Awards
Weeks 1-2: Tapered off of Nolvadex during these weeks. Week 1 was 10mg/day and Week 2 was nothing. Dr Mariano thought it was a good idea to get as much out of my sytem as possible before going on regular TRT.

I definitely felt a drop in how I felt during these weeks, particularly week 2. Very tired, unmotivated, etc.

I continue the adrenal/thyroid nutritional complex (Iodoral, Chromium, Selenium, Pregnenolone) per Dr Mariano's orders.

Sonny

T800

T800

Awards
Week 3: 100mg of Test IM + 400 iu of HCG

I made it through those 2 weeks and very much looked forward to the start of this protocol.

I injected the Testosterone and was very sore the next day. I also felt kind of dizzy and "medicated". Shook it off as my body adjusting.

It could have been psychological, but even on week 1, I started to notice increases in gym strength.

Sonny

T800

T800

Awards
Weeks 4-7: 100mg Test sub-q + 500 iu of HCG

I had days where I felt extremely tired despite adequate sleep. I got back on Medrol at 4mg day. I had been able to wean myself off of it during the final 2 months of the Nolvadex protocol.

Started feeling really good. Energy and strength were up. Libido was way up. Constant boners and in general, my penis always felt full of blood.

I felt much more calm in general. Weight is up about 5 lbs at this point and it feels like solid weight. I do notice that I do not feel as 'driven' as before...just more content to sit around and enjoy myself without having to be such a busy-body.

Very happy.

Blood test at the end of week 6 shows:

At this point, I am concerned by the drop in AM cortisol, the drop in Free T3, and the drop in DHEA. Overall though, I feel great and decide not to fix what isn't broken. I do feel occasional light dizziness (particularly on the days of the Test injection), but not a biggie.

Sonny

T800

T800

Awards
Week 8: 120mg/week of Test + 400 iu HCG

My Free T is way up, but Total T still has room for improvement. In addition, I notice a fair amount of leakage from the sub-q Test injection, so with Dr approval, I up the dose to 120mg (.6cc vs .5cc). I figure the extra .1cc will take care of any leaked out Testosterone.

Still feeling great. Strength gains are fantastic and I'm up about 12 lbs at this point. I don't seem to need to eat everything in site to hold onto muscle.

Very happy.

Sonny

T800

T800

Awards
Weeks 9 to 14: 120mg of Test + 400 iu HCG
Let the good times roll. I'm feeling good, but do notice an increase in adrenal fatigue type symptoms. The LCD monitor at work bothers my eyes. Dizziness is becoming more frequent.

My main goals in every day life are getting laid and going to the gym. I feel no guilt in feeling this way since my body got "punished" so bad the previous year. My after-hours consulting business stalls as I decide not to take on any additional work. I'm content with what I have.

Strength and libido are still rockin', so I am still very happy. Extremely pleased with body composition. Muscles feel full and hard.

Sonny

T800

T800

Awards
Week 15: 120mg of Test + 400 iu HCG

Trouble begins. I start feeling a much more pronounced level of dizziness and brain fog worsens. I feel tired despite being well rested.

My motivation to go to the gym starts to fade and my penis no longer feels full of blood all the time. It is retracted and feels "empty".

Sonny

T800

T800

Awards
Week 16: 120mg of Test + 400 iu HCG

Concerned with how I feel, I take another blood test around this time.

My concentration is shot, libido seems to have waned, and I am constantly dizzy. Strength is still there.

Hangin' on. I really want this to work, so I am doing my best to fix it.

Sonny

T800

T800

Awards
Week 17: 100mg Test + 600 iu HCG

I give oral DHEA a try at 50mg/day in divided doses. I notice immediate relief from the adrenal symptoms. YEAH BABY. About 5 days into it, I experience terrible anxiety from the DHEA and immediately discontinue. Adrenal fatigue sucks, but anxiety is worse.

A meeting with Dr Mariano goes well. He is concerned by my low cholesterol since it is the building block for all hormones. He states that he commonly sees levels that low in mentally retarded patients. LOL He states that my Testosterone levels could be contributing to the low Chol and that my use of HCG at the end of the week does not provide constant enough or adequate enough pathway stimulation.

We increase the dosage and frequency of HCG, drop the Testosterone down a little, and up the oral Pregnenolone from 100mg/day to 200mg/day.

Overall, I'm feeling very worried with how I feel, but feel that it is fixable and move forward.

Sonny

T800

T800

Awards
Week 18: 80mg Test of 750 iu HCG

Having previously been on HCG monotherapy, I recall that I didn't have adrenal issues on it, so I shift the therapy towards more HCG and less Test.

My efforts fall short though as now I am having huge energy crashes during the day. Around 3pm, I feel like I've been drugged and it is a struggle to stay at work. My memory and concentration are shot. Dizziness is a chronic problem. I try a different brand of DHEA at only 25mg/day, but still get anxiety from it.

I am in the process of trying to get a promotion at work and the way I feel is severly impacting my performance. I am sure that my direct reports notice that I seem very forgetful and lethargic. I need to fix this ASAP.

Sonny

T800

T800

Awards
Week 19: 200 iu HCG ED + 40mg of Nolvadex ED

I cannot take the symptoms any longer. The energy crashes are making me scared to drive home. I dump the Testosterone and get back on Nolvadex. It is a known "safe ground" for me. Previous use has shown that it takes about 2 weeks for it to start bringing up LH.

With the addition of Nolvadex, my libido returns and I feel noticeably better. However, I am very short tempered and moody. It makes being around my kids difficult.

Sonny

T800

T800

Awards
Weeks 20 to 21: 20mg of Nolvadex ED

I am back to where I started and in the last 3-4, I have lost most of my muscle gains. At the midpoint, I was up about 14 lbs and have lost about 10 of those 14 lbs.

The brain fog fades, and my appetite goes through the roof as before. My productivity at work goes way up. Energy crashes stop.

I am very upset by the loss of strength and libido, but the cost was too high. My clothes feel much looser and I hate it.

I feel much better though.

What happened?

Sonny

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
E2 level 3/27

E2 level 7/19

Might be a reason why

Plummeting DHEA as well.

rick055

Awards
  • Established
Sonny,

I empathize with the fatigue and loss of libido; I went through this for a few weeks not long ago and although I think the reasons were different (I'm not on HRT yet), I felt like I was bottoming out.

So, just some moral support here, keep one foot in front of the other.

:cheers:

galapagos

Awards
When you came off the Nolva after about 1 year of use, as you say, and your T was 585 and free T was 179, did you give any thought to stopping right there and seeing where you balanced out? Have you tried such a jumpstart approach using Nolva in the past? Do you know if Marianco ever attempts to "jumpstart" in such a way?

T800

T800

Awards
When you came off the Nolva after about 1 year of use, as you say, and your T was 585 and free T was 179, did you give any thought to stopping right there and seeing where you balanced out? Have you tried such a jumpstart approach using Nolva in the past? Do you know if Marianco ever attempts to "jumpstart" in such a way?
Galapagos:

585/179 was achieved while on 20mg/day of Nolvadex. If those had been my levels while on nothing AND I felt good, I would not have gone back on regular TRT.

I don't know where I would be with no Nolvadex, but if history repeats itself, I'd end up in the 200's again for Total T. I'm a little reluctant to try that since I've felt like crap when I gone that route in the past. It might be worth a try along with some support from Resveratrol.

Sonny

T800

T800

Awards
rick055: Thank you.

PC: DHEA was definitely a factor. I know this because adding oral DHEA helped the adrenal symptoms (great), but brought bad anxiety (not so great). I think the better solution would be to augment its mother hormone, Pregnenolone. Dr Mariano is a fan of oral Pregnenolone, but would not put me on the cream. Although I think I would have done better with the cream, I chose not to second guess his clinical experience and knowledge.

Better than the cream would be not to be on TRT at all, if possible. :)

After being on Nolvadex for 4-6 weeks, I may try to go off of it and use Resveratrol or Dermacrine Sustain if I feel like I'm heading downhill.

Sonny

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Why no preg cream and pills over cream? That is crazy talk, preg is not well absorbed orally.

That is weird about the anxiety. I believe what is really going on, and is going on all along, is that you are VERY sensitive to changes in estrogen. DHEA is well known to crank up E levels. Maybe thats why you got bad anxiety - increasing E.

I think Dermacrine Sustain would be a good idea. You could run it right along with Nolva.

BigAk

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to hear about all your troubles sonny... High estrogen is the cause of your anxiety for sure..

Your hormonal profile looked a whole lot better when you're on the Nolvadex to be honest with you. That's despite the less libido etc.. Your problem seems to be solely estrogenic.

I hope you'll find a protocol that will make you happy.

T800

T800

Awards
PC: you are VERY sensitive to changes in estrogen.

Yep, I totally agree. Man, you really AREN'T here just for your good looks. ;)

BigAk: I definitely feel more myself on the Nolvadex. Always a lot going on, many hobbies, busy body, etc. I felt more calm and relaxed and had more of a "go with the flow" kind of feeling on Test. It was kind of nice actually! But yeah, with SERMs you basically tell your body "This is how much estrogen you get. Let everything else fall where it may." and that seems to work well for me. It is definitely very stable therapy for me. While on it, I rarely got my blood tested...never felt the need to. With Test + HCG, monitoring and adjusting was always a priority and I think it's because on that program, Estrogen is a moving target and that doesn't seem to agree with me.

Sonny

T800

T800

Awards
Why no preg cream and pills over cream? That is crazy talk, preg is not well absorbed orally.
I asked Dr M about this once and his response was something to the effect of he prefers the use of oral Preg due to the fact that it is more predictable with regards to Preg as a neurotransmitter.

Hormonally, yes, I think it is different. I believe he felt that adequate HCG would keep the Chol -> Pregnenolone conversion happy enough. I don't think that was the case for me, but unless I try Test + HCG again, I won't need it anyway. We'll see. :)

Sonny

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
im not sure the DHEA is just estrogen. I have recently increased my daily dose from 25mg to 50mg and within a DAY my energy (and also anxiety) have increased. I like the enrgy, not the anxiety.

but that quickly for estrogen? im not so sure.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Week 8: 120mg/week of Test + 400 iu HCG

My Free T is way up, but Total T still has room for improvement. In addition, I notice a fair amount of leakage from the sub-q Test injection, so with Dr approval, I up the dose to 120mg (.6cc vs .5cc). I figure the extra .1cc will take care of any leaked out Testosterone.

Still feeling great. Strength gains are fantastic and I'm up about 12 lbs at this point. I don't seem to need to eat everything in site to hold onto muscle.

Very happy.

Sonny
What neddle are you using for your SubQ t shots?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Jan: I was using 27g x 5/16"

Sonny
Yeah,
I am using 31g x5/16" long.
I also see little bit leakage.
I have a box of 30g x1/2", tried yesterday, no leaks, no pain, I will change, use up the 5/16" needles for HCG.
-------------------------
The leak is very small, probably no more than 1/2 unit.

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
im not sure the DHEA is just estrogen. I have recently increased my daily dose from 25mg to 50mg and within a DAY my energy (and also anxiety) have increased. I like the enrgy, not the anxiety.

but that quickly for estrogen? im not so sure.
Its quite possible.

Also note that Sonny was doing great on HRT, but as soon as his E2 crept up everything went downhill.

A 28 E2 level might not seem bad, but for someone who is normally in the teens, having that E2 level double is bad, its no wonder he didn't feel good.

There is no doubt that DHEA will quickly crank up E2 levels.

My DHEA levels float around the mid 500's, and as long as Im on some sort of AI, everything is smooth sailing. The minute Im not on something, its, well, not good :ntome:

BigAk

Awards
  • Established
My DHEA levels float around the mid 500's, and as long as Im on some sort of AI, everything is smooth sailing. The minute Im not on something, its, well, not good :ntome:
Plymouth... Would it be better to get your DHEA levels a bit down and eliminate the use of AI instead?? Just an idea!!!

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Plymouth... Would it be better to get your DHEA levels a bit down and eliminate the use of AI instead?? Just an idea!!!
Im not on any DHEA supps! Its that high naturally. I also have a natural E2 level of in the mid 40's, on part because of having naturally high DHEA(the E is not a BF issue, I have low BF)

T800

T800

Awards
I've been on off Testosterone Cypionate for 4 weeks and off of HCG for about 2.5 weeks.

I've lost 7 lbs in the last 4 weeks. Libido is dead. Body feels like it is in a catabolic state. Joints have been killing me, too.

Mentally, I've felt better and more able to focus on work, etc, but this is not going to work for me long-term. I cannot stand the feeling that my body is 'wasting' away. I'm thinking of running Test + HCG again along with Arimidex right out of the gate. We've already established that I am very sensitive to E2 changes and when E2 goes above 25 or so, I start having problems.

Sonny

BigAk

Awards
  • Established
I've been on off Testosterone Cypionate for 4 weeks and off of HCG for about 2.5 weeks.

I've lost 7 lbs in the last 4 weeks. Libido is dead. Body feels like it is in a catabolic state. Joints have been killing me, too.

Sonny
Sonny.... It is expected that you'd feel this way... It will take your body some time to start firing its own LH and start producing its own testosterone. If you run test and hcg again, you're going back to the same old problem with your adrenals not producing enough hormones; then you'll feel like crap again. Maybe you need to give it some time while on the Nolvadex and wait for your body to start producing test on its own.. Then you'll feel better and will put back on the weight you've lost... It's a matter of time... Or else, you'll be just be repeating your cycle over again...

T800

T800

Awards
BigAk: Thanks for the encouragement. I've been on the Nolvadex for 4 weeks now and in the past, that is usually enough time to see it start working. I guess I'll tough it out another 2 weeks and see how it goes. I definitely like the lack of brain fog, but the dead libido and lost muscle is a drag.

The difficulty in gaining muscle/strength was a noted side effect of Nolvadex when I was on it throughout most of last year. We think it might be due to the fact that while on Nolvadex or HCG, I have trouble getting my DHT up. It's always on the low end or low. On Test + HCG, it's always in the mid or middle-high.

I just don't remember it being quite this bad and I don't remember the joint probs that I'm having now. I'll meet with Dr Mariano in the next month or so. He was a proponent of me staying on Test + HCG and shoring up the adrenals to tolerate it, but we couldn't make that work.

Sonny

coz

Awards
What about adding in some Resveratrol, and lowering your dose of tamoxifen ? That's something I'm thinking of trying soon.

T800

T800

Awards
coz: I think I'm gonna run some Dermacrine Sustain alonside the Nolvadex and see if that helps. I think things will improve on the Nolvadex, but hopefully the Resveratrol (in the Derma) will speed things up.

Sonny

coz

Awards
Are you still supplementing the oral DHEA, pregnenolone ? Any reason why Dermacrine sustain and not the original Dermacrine ?

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What's the difference between the two products??
Dermacrine -
Pregnenolone 21mg
DHEA 56mg
Chrysin Its a mix of 68mg of these 3
Resveratrol
Benzoflavone

Sustain A mix of around 170ish mg of these 2
Resveratrol
Benzoflavone

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
coz: I think I'm gonna run some Dermacrine Sustain alonside the Nolvadex and see if that helps. I think things will improve on the Nolvadex, but hopefully the Resveratrol (in the Derma) will speed things up.

Sonny
Sonny,
I am having some kick azz results with Dermacrine.

I would start that first to get you jumpstarted in the right direction/

I know your sensitive to DHEA. try it at half dose

This should get you going to prior HRT like state and get things back in order

Then jump on sustain or sustain + nolva

BigAk

Awards
  • Established
I started 5 days ago :thumbsup:
But why would you do that??? Wouldn't that suppress your already high natural levels?? Sorry... not trying to get personal... Just curious!!

Also, what sort of results have you already been experiencing 5 days in?

T800

T800

Awards
Hey Guys,

Just saw this thread had been updated. I actually went for he Derma Sustain. Ordered it yesterday. The original derma looks good, but after getting some very uncomfortable anxiety from DHEA on 2 separate occasions, I am scared of it!

Been super busy, but able to keep up as long as I get decent sleep. I try not to use the Medrol, but do when I feel like I need it.

I hope the Derma can help to get me out of this 'catabolic' state. I'm eating everthing in site and still feel like I'm slowly losing muscle. :aargh: My joints do feel better this week (so far). The Armour Thyroid + HC seems to be a very potent "stack". The HC definitely increases the effectiveness of the Armour. Because of my appetite and weight loss, I'm tempted to scale back on the Armour a bit. Body temp is always ok though. I'll discuss it with Dr Mariano.

Sonny

BigAk

Awards
  • Established
It's just a matter of time until your body start producing test on its own... I know it took a couple of weeks on Nolva last time, but you have to keep in mind that it gets harder and harder every time you try to restart your HPTA. Hopefully you'll figure out a new protocol that will make you live happily. :)

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
But why would you do that??? Wouldn't that suppress your already high natural levels?? Sorry... not trying to get personal... Just curious!!

Also, what sort of results have you already been experiencing 5 days in?
As long as you cycle it, just like any other prohormone, you won't experience any shutdown. One must take equal time off as on.

I am only using a half dose. I am absolutely LOVING :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: it. Big boost in energy, motivation, and general overall well being. Prohormones kick ass. I am really not looking forward to coming off ;) Makes me realllllllly mad that andro's and family of them was banned.

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey Guys,

Just saw this thread had been updated. I actually went for he Derma Sustain. Ordered it yesterday. The original derma looks good, but after getting some very uncomfortable anxiety from DHEA on 2 separate occasions, I am scared of it!

Been super busy, but able to keep up as long as I get decent sleep. I try not to use the Medrol, but do when I feel like I need it.

I hope the Derma can help to get me out of this 'catabolic' state. I'm eating everthing in site and still feel like I'm slowly losing muscle. :aargh: My joints do feel better this week (so far). The Armour Thyroid + HC seems to be a very potent "stack". The HC definitely increases the effectiveness of the Armour. Because of my appetite and weight loss, I'm tempted to scale back on the Armour a bit. Body temp is always ok though. I'll discuss it with Dr Mariano.

Sonny
Sweet. Just make sure ya say I referred ya ;)

I like to put Derm Sustain on my legs, I find its easier and more room to absorb.

T800

T800

Awards
Hey Guys:

It's been a really busy month. Potential job change, studying for some professional certifications, work on the house, etc. The good news is that I've been able to keep up and for the most part, I feel motivated and focused when needed. Libido is still in the trash.

I saw Dr Mariano in person yesterday and we went over some things:

1. He still believes that my 'root' problem is one of adrenal disfunction. I tend to agree based on the fact that Armour Thyroid makes me feel significantly worse if I don't take Medrol. Long term, he wants me off the Medrol, so we are taking a more aggressive nutritional approach to restoring the adrenals. I am happy with his "fix your adrenals" not "give them a crutch" approach.

2. He gave me the green light to use Dermacrine Sustain instead of Nolvadex, but left it up to me. Life is busy right now and although my current regimen has serious flaws, I am able to manage everything that is going on.

3. He gave me the option of going back on TRT and using Arimidex to keep E2 down. We've come to the conclusion (as several of you have) that I am VERY sensitive to E2. I have a really low threshold...anything above about 25 or so seems to get me into trouble. He believes high E2 and worsening of adrenal fatigue is what de-railed the Test + HCG protocol.

4. He does not believe that it is adrenal fatigue that is making me dizzy while on Test + HCG. My blood pressure does not drop when standing. Instead, he believes that I have some sort of reaction to the carrier. I tend to agree with this since I do not get dizzy on Nolvadex or anything that raises LH. I also do not recall getting dizzy on Androgel. If I go back on TRT (and I certainly do not want to), I will probably pursure daily Androgel + daily HCG. It's a protocol of Dr Crisler's that I know works well if you can stand the daily injections.

He wants me on the following:

1. Cod Liver Oil (for Vitamin A)
2. Quality Vitamin E (to reduce toxicity of Vitamin A)
3. Iodoral
4. Selenium
5. Chromium
6. Magnesium
7. Vitamin C
8. Vitamin B complex

He is happy with my current dosing of Armour since my body temp is generally stable between 98-98.4 (armpit). My Free T3 is at the top of the range right now, so we'll see.

Sonny