Can someone explain how DHT factors into the whole hypogonadism equation?

  1. New Member
    anyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    399
    Rep Power
    293
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    49.55%

    Can someone explain how DHT factors into the whole hypogonadism equation?


    As I continue my quest to get back to normal, I am pondering the role of DHT in the equation. The last I recall, my DHT was rather low--under the low normal range. Could be due to a 9 year prior use of Finistaride, but I'll never know for sure.

    I understand that DHT is the more potent form of T and is responsible for many of the good and bad we suffer. But, even after Googling a bit I remain a bit unclear as to what it's true function is, what a "good" level is and, more importantly, how/when to raise it without screwing everything else up as well.

    Any thoughts or suggestions?

  2. New Member
    jaydee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    315
    Rep Power
    258
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    95.42%

    Im not sure anyone really knows what the full function of DHT is. I do know it is partly responsible for libido and is an estrogen antagonist. Dr John said it best when he described it as "all things male".

    How to get DHT? DHT cream, or apply T cream (not gel) to your nuts. Transdermals in general produce more DHT than shots do, even when applied normally also so this is the first step.

    The only thing you need to watch with DHT rising is your prostate and hair loss. Though I dont think DHT is completely responsible for hairloss either.

    Whatever DHT does, it is important, as finasteride has shown us.
  3. New Member
    ECTOmorph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    378
    Rep Power
    297
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    53.53%

    DHT is basically the real Testosterone. Testosterone is the male hormone in the muscular tissue, but in most other body parts (brain, organs, etc) DHT (a derivative of Test) is the male hormone.

    Here's an article to explain it better
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/reform8.htm

    I think the public perception of DHT is totally unjustified. E2 is now know to be more harmfull to the prostate whil DHT is actually being usd to help the prostate.

    Personally my DHT is on the lower side, and my libido and erection strength/frequency is also on the lower side.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    anyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    399
    Rep Power
    293
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    49.55%

    What about boosting DHT in lieu of full TRT?


    Quote Originally Posted by ECTOmorph View Post
    DHT is basically the real Testosterone. Testosterone is the male hormone in the muscular tissue, but in most other body parts (brain, organs, etc) DHT (a derivative of Test) is the male hormone.

    Here's an article to explain it better
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/reform8.htm

    I think the public perception of DHT is totally unjustified. E2 is now know to be more harmfull to the prostate whil DHT is actually being usd to help the prostate.

    Personally my DHT is on the lower side, and my libido and erection strength/frequency is also on the lower side.

    I too have diminished DHT and the same problems you do. Might we consider just applying a little T cream to the penis and/or scrotum to boost DHT? I wonder what this would do instead of full TRT. Is it possible that a DHT boost via direct application this way may make full TRT not necessary?
  5. New Member
    ECTOmorph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    378
    Rep Power
    297
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    53.53%

    Quote Originally Posted by anyman View Post
    I too have diminished DHT and the same problems you do. Might we consider just applying a little T cream to the penis and/or scrotum to boost DHT? I wonder what this would do instead of full TRT. Is it possible that a DHT boost via direct application this way may make full TRT not necessary?
    Is your T low as well (without taking test)?
  6. New Member
    MarkLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    194
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    24.24%

    I'd be curious on more info too. My T is very low, but my DHT is higher than the range..

    Mark
  7. New Member
    anyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    399
    Rep Power
    293
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    49.55%

    Yup. Only on HCG so far. No TRT---yet. (m)


    Quote Originally Posted by ECTOmorph View Post
    Is your T low as well (without taking test)?
    I am now seeing Dr Shippen and am trying to see how much of my natural abilities can be saved or regenerated. Havn't started external T yet, although such will likely happen in time. I've noted low DHT and have read in several places that direct application to the penis/scrotum can boost dht. What I do not know is how much, how often and if such can supplement--or even replace TRT. Of course, if DHT goes up, then hair loss may take place.

    Much to think about and research. Any comments, ideas, discussion or more?
  8. New Member
    jaydee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    315
    Rep Power
    258
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    95.42%

    Quote Originally Posted by anyman View Post
    I too have diminished DHT and the same problems you do. Might we consider just applying a little T cream to the penis and/or scrotum to boost DHT? I wonder what this would do instead of full TRT. Is it possible that a DHT boost via direct application this way may make full TRT not necessary?
    Im no expert on this stuff, but I figure any input at all is better than nothing. If you apply a little T cream to the penis or the scrotum, I would think that your HPTA will shut down anyway to a point. It would be like having mid range testosterone and trying to "just apply a little bit to make up the difference"....it wouldnt work. Your levels will just blance themselves out again to where they were or make your T lower. I could be wrong....but this is my understanding of it.

    To my knowledge applying to the genitals too much can cause atrophy. Every second or third day....not every day. So if this is true, then you wouldnt be able to just replace TRT with applying it to your genitals anyway. How much the boost is would be different for everyone. Janz for instance gets a good boost from applying to his nuts. But I suspect that guys who have done finasteride dont convert to DHT as well as they did before finasteride so you might just be peeing into the wind. You might need an external source of DHT and even that might not work. But all you can do is try or you will never know.
  9. New Member
    jaydee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    315
    Rep Power
    258
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    95.42%

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkLA View Post
    I'd be curious on more info too. My T is very low, but my DHT is higher than the range..

    Mark
    If I were you I would get a urine DHT test if you havent done so already. It may tell a different story. Any finasteride use with you?
  10. New Member
    MarkLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    194
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    24.24%

    Quote Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
    If I were you I would get a urine DHT test if you havent done so already. It may tell a different story. Any finasteride use with you?
    I am pending some urine results, but they don't include DHT. What were you thinking? Does DHT vary alot throughout the day?

    I did use Finasteride. It was about 5 years ago and only for a couple of months. I figured this might be related, but my DHT is high, not low..

    Appreciate your thoughts..

    Mark
  11. New Member
    jaydee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    315
    Rep Power
    258
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    95.42%

    Well some people can have high DHT on a blood test, but low DHT on a urine test. The general rule is that blood DHT levels on their own are not accurate enough because you still my not have enough 5 AR activity throughout your body, which is what I understand urine DHT tests measure.

    Yes, the finasteride is a concern, not matter how long you took it...
  12. New Member
    anyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    399
    Rep Power
    293
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    49.55%

    Why is Finistaride not banned?


    Quote Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
    Yes, the finasteride is a concern, not matter how long you took it...
    Seems to me that a substance which can cause so many evil side effects should be banned, or at least HUGE warnings about permanent limp penis syndrome be mandated.
  13. Professional Member
    JanSz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,631
    Rep Power
    2417
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    61.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkLA View Post
    I am pending some urine results, but they don't include DHT. What were you thinking? Does DHT vary alot throughout the day?

    I did use Finasteride. It was about 5 years ago and only for a couple of months. I figured this might be related, but my DHT is high, not low..

    Appreciate your thoughts..

    Mark
    The charts are for 200mg T enanthate every two weeks, but you can get idea of variability.
    My reading on DHT, if one is on E3D the variability is negligible.
    With weekly shots, I would read (50-80), (80-50)/50=0.6 ; 60% variability
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 07:31 PM
  2. Can someone explain the "Warrior Diet"??
    By jakesnake771 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 11:32 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 10:03 AM
  4. can someone explain the 5 x 5 training method to me?
    By freezito in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-08-2007, 07:40 PM
  5. Can someone explain the difference...
    By djl in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-30-2006, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in