use 4 pills daily
    100days supply
    3x refills
    -------------------------------------------
    Armour Thyroid 1grain comes in 100pills/bottle
    Today I have got a letter from LEF pharmacy
    1-877-877-9700
    it contains long list of medicines where they have a good price.
    they ship thru USA without any shipping or other costs.
    I talked with pharmacist to confirm that, they also have no problem shipping all the refills at once.
    Next week I will be at my doc's office for other reasons,
    I will ask a nurse to call the script in and my credit card #'s.
    I should be set for over 400 days with my Armour.
    ============================== ==============
    Normal cost of Armour at pharmacy with a script is about $13,
    and they make you come in for every 3 monthly supply.
    Armour can be had via internet, best price
    300, 3gain pills, $250.50
    ============================== ===============
    250.5/(3*300)=0.27833 $/grain
    13/(1*100)=0.13 $/grain
    4.95/(1*100)=0.0495 $/grain

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i got 1000 1 grain (i like 1 grain for dosing) for 135 bucks online.
    and its thyroid-s; which is just as good if not a little stronger than armour.

The question is...what generic did you get? Certain ones are pretty bad. I know I had qualitest (i think) and it was garbage.

but good for you if getting a good price. and i could never get more than a 1 month supply from my docs.
  3. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.48%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyo View Post
    i got 1000 1 grain (i like 1 grain for dosing) for 135 bucks online.
    and its thyroid-s; which is just as good if not a little stronger than armour.

The question is...what generic did you get? Certain ones are pretty bad. I know I had qualitest (i think) and it was garbage.

but good for you if getting a good price. and i could never get more than a 1 month supply from my docs.
    I did not purchased this generic Armour, not yet.
    Please Scottyo and anybody else,
    spell out any known pitfalls.
    Provide names etc.
    Question that I should ask the LEF pharmacist tommorow.
    I just called them, trying to ask more details but they are out.

Financially I do not have a problem paying $13 for 100 1grain pills of original Armour
    if generic is questionable.
    ============================== ================

I posted best price for internet Armour per my liking.
    Here are all of the possibilities at that place:
    Armour Thyroid 15mg - 100 Tablets US $29.00
    Armour Thyroid 15mg - 300 Tablets US $82.50
    Armour Thyroid 30mg - 100 Tablets US $31.00
    Armour Thyroid 30mg - 300 Tablets US $88.50
    Armour Thyroid 60mg - 100 Tablets US $33.00
    Armour Thyroid 60mg - 300 Tablets US $94.50
    Armour Thyroid 90mg - 100 Tablets US $46.00
    Armour Thyroid 90mg - 300 Tablets US $133.50
    Armour Thyroid 180mg - 100 Tablets US $85.00
    Armour Thyroid 180mg - 300 Tablets US $250.50----------------------------------
    Armour Thyroid 120mg - 100 Tablets US $51.00
    Armour Thyroid 120mg - 300 Tablets US $148.50
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i can get you a better one online for thyroid-s.

thyroid-s is a generic but has a good track record.

This is from Stopthethyroidmadness.com's meds page. Pretty thorough and RIGHT ON in my opinion.

Armour vs. Other Brands

1. ARMOUR is made by Forest Pharmaceuticals. It is made in the following strengths: 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, and 3 grain tablets. One grain contains 38 mcg. of T4 and 9 mcg. of T3, plus unmeasured amounts of T2, T1 and calcitonin. The latter is NOT removed. Each tablet contains:
    * Porcine Thyroid Powder, U.S. Pharmacopeia
    * Dextrose (sugar–allows you to do it sublingually)
    * Microcrystalline Cellulose
    * Sodium
    * Calcium Stearate (stabilizer and lubricant)
    * Opadry White (Titanium dioxide, but also contains trace amounts of PEG (polyethylene glycol), Polysorbate 80, and Hydroxypropyl Methycellulose. See below.)
    2. NATURETHROID and WESTHROID are by Western Research Labs, but are actually “made” by Time Caps Labs. Westhroid used to contain cornstarch as the filler, but is now made with the Microcrystalline Cellulose with identical ingredients as NATURETHROID, which are:
    * Porcine Thyroid Powder, U.S. Pharmacopeia
    * Microcrystalline Cellulose
    * Dicalcium Phosphate
    * Sodium Starch Glycolate
    * Magnesium Stearate
    * Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose
    * Stearic Acid
    * Carnauba Wax
    * Polyethylene Glycol

***Hormonally, Armour and Westhroid and Nature-Throid are absolutely identical–their Thyroid powder meets the same USP guidelines. Armour has less ingredients than both Westhroid or Naturethroid. Microcrystalline Cellulose is technically what makes a product hypoallergenic, but if you have an severe allergy to corn, Dextrose aka Glucose may be a derivative of cornstarch.
    3. THYROID-S is from Sriprasit Pharma Co., Ltd. in Thailand (sister company of Sriprasit Dispensary R.O.P.) Advertising states that Sriprasit Pharma is “a leading importer of pharmaceutical products, and has been a GMP and ISO 9002-certified manufacturer of pharmaceutical products.” Patients report they are quite pleased with this product. The ingredients, according to Pongsak Songpaisan of Sriprasit are:
    * Thyroid extract USP
    * Lactose (a milk sugar)
    * PVP K90 (Polyvinylpyrolidone; water soluble coating; no known hazard)
    * Avicel (microcrystalline cellulose; holds product together)
    * Aerosil (silicic acid powder; help disperse the ingredients)
    * Sodium starch glycolate (helps dissolute/disintegrate the pill)
    * Magnesium stearate (filling agent)
    * Eudragit (a common sustain released coating)
    * Methocel (a water soluble cellulose ether-helps bind pill)
    * Talcum (a filler)
    * Ponceau 4r lake (red additive-aluminum)
    * Tartrazine lake (yellow additive-aluminum)
    * Brilliant blue FCF lake (blue additive-aluminum)
    * Sunset yellow FCF (yellow additive)
    * Titanium dioxide (white)
    * PEG 6000 (water soluble polymer; binder)
    * Dimethicone solution

(Thanks to Ruth-Ann for obtaining the ingredients list above; descriptions added)
    4. CANADA’S “THYROID”, formerly by Phizer and now by Erfa, contains:
    * Dried Thyroid
    * Magnesium Stearate
    * Cornstarch
    * Talc
    * Sugar

http://www.erfa-sa.com/thyroid_en.htm
    5. GENERIC NATURAL THYROID (which includes one called Qualitest) by TIME-CAPS LABS contain:
    * Thyroid Powder
    * Microcrystalline cellulose
    * Dicalcium phosphate
    * Colloidal silicon dioxide
    * Sodium starch glycolate
    * Steric acid
    * Magnesium stearate
    * Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose
    * and “other ingredients” (which we do not know).

The generic thyroid above is often made in 65 mg. tablets (as compared to 60 mg. of the brand names). They are coated. For some reason, they may be less effective than the name brands, say some users, so you have to take more. Another generic maker is called URL, or United Research Labs, which is a sister company to Mutual Pharmaceutical. As of 8-07, it’s reported by a patient that Qualitest now has the same smell as Armour, which is different than the lack of smell it had before.
    6. NUTRI-MEDS PORCINE, a non-prescription brand of natural thyroid, CONTAINS:
    * Whole Dessicated Thyroid Glandular Concentrate - Porcine
    * Raw Porcine Thyroid Tissue 130 mg.
    * Dicalcium Phosphate
    * Magnesium Sterate (Natural Tableting Agent)

Patients report that over-the-counter thyroid products, including Nutri-meds, are FAR weaker than all the above. Yes, they may be good in a pinch for help, but not for long term support.

INGREDIENT EXPLANATIONS:

Microcrystalline Cellulose
    synthetically derived fiber base (similar to plant-derived). It is typically utilized as a filler in a tablet (to provide volume and bulk).
    Dicalcium Phosphate
    derived from a mined ore. It is typically utilized as a binder in a tablet (to hold all the ingredients during compression).
    Colloidal Silicon Dioxide
    derived from a mined ore. Typically utilized as a natural desiccant in a tablet (to provide barrier from moisture and humidity).
    Sodium Starch Glycolate
    Synthetically derived starch molecule (similar to potato starch). It is typically utilized as a disintegrating agent in a tablet (to aid in proper disintegration of the tablet in the stomach).
    Magnesium Stearate
    Derived from a vegetable source (typically palm oil). It is typically utilized as a lubricating agent in a tablet (to aid in proper compression of the tablet).
    Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose
    Derived from a plant cellulose base (typically cotton blend or wood pulp). It is typically utilized as a granulating agent in a tablet (to provide bulk and density to the tablet for proper compression) as well as part of a clear coating solution (with PEG).
    Polysorbate 80
    An inactive water soluable emulsifying agent which blends the ingredients of mixtures and prevents separating.
    Stearic Acid
    Derived from a vegetable source (typically palm oil). It is typically utilized as a binder in a tablet ( to hold all the ingredients during compression).
    Carnauba Wax
    Derived from the pores of the leaves of the Brazilian wax palm tree. It is utilized in the final stage in tablet coating (to provide a complete seal).
    Polyethylene Glycol (PEG)
    Synthetically derived, water-soluble, waxy solid. It is utilized with Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose as part of the clear coating solution.
    Lactose Monohydrate
    Present in traceable amount as part of Thyroid USP (diluent)

ALL THE ABOVE SEEM GOOD EXPECT ANY OF THOSE LISTED #5. I have also heard that Armour potency can be a little hit or miss...I wonder if its based on storage etc. I have not heard teh same with thyroid-s
  5. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.48%

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyo View Post
    i can get you a better one online for thyroid-s.

thyroid-s is a generic but has a good track record.

This is from Stopthethyroidmadness.com's meds page. Pretty thorough and RIGHT ON in my opinion.

---------------
    ALL THE ABOVE SEEM GOOD EXPECT ANY OF THOSE LISTED #5. I have also heard that Armour potency can be a little hit or miss...I wonder if its based on storage etc. I have not heard teh same with thyroid-s
    Ether post or PM me the purchasing info, thanks.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.56%

Okay, I realize this may have been discussed before: I'm on synthroid 25 mcg/daily. What are the benefits/disadvantages of synthoid vs the other thyroids?
  7. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.48%

Quote Originally Posted by Pace2 View Post
    Okay, I realize this may have been discussed before: I'm on synthroid 25 mcg/daily. What are the benefits/disadvantages of synthoid vs the other thyroids?
    If you body is able to convert T4 ---> T3
    then you are ok on Synthroid.

This however does not happen in large part of people with thyroid problems.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%

Quote Originally Posted by JanSz View Post
    Yesterday I got a script from my doc for
    Armour Thyroid 1grain
    use 4 pills daily
    100days supply
    3x refills
    Armour Thyroid 1grain comes in 100pills/bottle
    Today I have got a letter from LEF pharmacy
    1-877-877-9700
    it contains long list of medicines where they have a good price.
    they ship thru USA without any shipping or other costs.
    I talked with pharmacist to confirm that, they also have no problem shipping all the refills at once.
    Next week I will be at my doc's office for other reasons,
    I will ask a nurse to call the script in and my credit card #'s.
    I should be set for over 400 days with my Armour.
    Normal cost of Armour at pharmacy with a script is about $13,
    and they make you come in for every 3 monthly supply.
    Armour can be had via internet, best price
    300, 3gain pills, $250.50
    ============================== ===============
    250.5/(3*300)=0.27833 $/grain
    13/(1*100)=0.13 $/grain
    4.95/(1*100)=0.0495 $/grain
    Good info. I saw that notice fro LEF as well. You can view all of their prices on line now.

After the generic from Sam's club seemed to have turned out to be useless and their telling me that they could not get a generic anymore... I was assuming that there was nothing else left.

The generic from Sam's did not budge my labs at all and when I tried a brand name Armour of the same dose I had a pounding heart and blurry vision for that first day. So I was inclined to believe that the generic was useless. So I am out the cost of the TSH, FT3, T4, FT4 with that crap.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.35%

I have one of the big bottles of thyroid s and it is a good value, but takes about a month to get. I only use it when I am out of Armour. Heck, I didn't know it had aluminum in it, which is thought to contributes to Alzheimer's disease.

Think I will stick with the real deal from now on.
  10. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.48%

Quote Originally Posted by KSman View Post
    Good info. I saw that notice fro LEF as well. You can view all of their prices on line now.

After the generic from Sam's club seemed to have turned out to be useless and their telling me that they could not get a generic anymore... I was assuming that there was nothing else left.

The generic from Sam's did not budge my labs at all and when I tried a brand name Armour of the same dose I had a pounding heart and blurry vision for that first day. So I was inclined to believe that the generic was useless. So I am out the cost of the TSH, FT3, T4, FT4 with that crap.
    I just got PM and another felow posted on separate thread about his problems with Thyroid products.
    It looks like other than original Armour, other products are suspect.

Counting you, thre is three cases that off brand thyroid medication did not worked.

Somehow it does not sound right.

Wonder who produces the Thyroid that LEF-pharmacy sells.
    -------------------------
    So far I have been using only original Armour Thyroid.
    I got it either from paharmacy or thru intrnet.
    I did not experienced any heart pounding, as I raised the amounts gradually but my proof that Armour that I used is working, is in my blood test for FreeT3 & freeT4.

Until I hear better stories, I am not buying LEF product or any thing else other than actual original Armour Thyroid.
    Heck with good price.
  11. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.58%

how many mcg = 1 grain???
  12. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.48%

Quote Originally Posted by gotripped View Post
    how many mcg = 1 grain???
    From 1 grain Armour Thyroid label
    1 grain=60 mg
    each tablet contains:
    T4=38mcg
    T3=9mcg
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%

60 mg of thyroid extract = 1 grain

This has a good summary, but much of what they say is not accurate or complete. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiccated_thyroid_extract

I have seen things like this a few times:
    # Always check the prescription against what you receive. Don't allow generic substitutions.
    # Most doctors feel that taking thyroid hormone on an empty stomach allows for maximum absorption.
    # Many practitioners advise that you allow at least one hour before eating, because it allows for maximum absorption.
    # Be consistent about a high-fiber diet. If you start or stop eating high-fiber, get your thyroid rechecked, because it may change your absorption.
    # Many experts recommend you take vitamins or supplements with iron at least two to three hours apart from thyroid hormone. Iron can interfere with thyroid hormone absorption if taken too close together.
    # Be careful about taking calcium and calcium-fortified orange juice at the same time as thyroid hormone. Allow at least 2-3 hours apart, so absorption is not affected.
    # Don't take antacids within two hours of thyroid hormone. Allow at least 2-3 hours apart, so absorption is not affected.
    # Watch for interactions with antidepressants & thyroid hormone. Zoloft, Paxil and Prozac can make thyroid meds more or less effective. Talk to your doctor.
    # Don't stop taking thyroid hormone when you're pregnant or breastfeeding. It's necessary for you and your baby's health. Talk to your doctor about adjusting to the right dosage.

The lesson is to avoid taking thyroid with metals that may be reactive with the thyroid hormones. So perhaps a thyroid pill with metal based pigments is a big mistake. The thyroid meds may be there but reacting with the metal compounds may degrade the hormones or make them less bio-available.

I did not take my 30mg/.5grain Armour yesterday to see what that was like. I started to feel very low by the end of the day and woke up today with nasty headache today. I have not decided/determined that thyroid really makes me feel better. Maybe I am not taking enough. My natural thyroid levels are decent and this 'trial' dose for me was to see if I would have more energy. I don't want to shut down my thyroid/TSH, but get an augmented effect to lift my T3 a bit.

I conclude that thyroid meds are not compatible with milk or other dairy products due to the calcium and magnesium and most prepared breakfast cereals are fortified with iron and other things that could limit the effectiveness of the thyroid meds.

Many put the thyroid behind their lower lip with the expectation that this will increase absorption. At least this will tend to bypass co-mingling with food. My armour and the generic that I had do seem to be non-offensive that way.
  14. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.48%

So I decided to go with original Armour Tyroid, rather than generic, due to many complaints.

From my previou encounter I remember that 100pills of 1grain Armour was below $20, so I went to my local pharmacy.

I have prescription plan at Caremark but my policy sucks.
    They previously paid for Androgel which was very good but not for my Depo-Testosterone and not for HCG.

Original Armour comes in 100 pills per bottle.
    Doctor wrote script for 4- 1grain pills/day for 100 days and 3 refills, so I could get original Armour containers.
    When pharmacist checked with my plan, they changed the script.
    They are willing to do 1grain 4 pills/day but only for 30 days plus 3 refills. So suddendly my script is good for 90 days instead of 400 days.
    30 days x 4 pills=120 pills
    Price for 120 pills $18.38
    insurance pays $0.40
    I have to pay $17.98

So I turn around to pharmacist and am telling him that I do not care for my plan paying 40c I want the whole order as written on script and I will pay the whole thing my self.
    I will save on a gas by not having to visit him once a month.

Sound simple, but is not.

If insurance is not involved, now pharmacist want $80 for the same 120 pills instead of previous $18.38

Only in America.

I took the 120 pills in stupid plastic container, paid $17.98

that is 17.98/120=$0.1498 per grain
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    I am going to call LEF tomorrow and check, possibly they are also selling original Armour at good price.
    ============================== ============================== ==================
    And the best kicker of all:

I got actual Armour Thyroid pills because I asked for a brand medication.
    In paperwork that is included with my pills I read that had I asked for generic
    I would have got Synthroid.

How many suckers are trying to save last penny and are getting Synthroid for their thyroid problems.
    How many doctors who know that patient should use Armour allow them to use generic kind and suddendly patient have Synthroid (T4) instead of intended (T1+T2+T3+T4)
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%

Quote Originally Posted by JanSz View Post
    So I decided to go with original Armour Tyroid, rather than generic, due to many complaints.

From my previou encounter I remember that 100pills of 1grain Armour was below $20, so I went to my local pharmacy.

I have prescription plan at Caremark but my policy sucks.
    They previously paid for Androgel which was very good but not for my Depo-Testosterone and not for HCG.

Original Armour comes in 100 pills per bottle.
    Doctor wrote script for 4- 1grain pills/day for 100 days and 3 refills, so I could get original Armour containers.
    When pharmacist checked with my plan, they changed the script.
    They are willing to do 1grain 4 pills/day but only for 30 days plus 3 refills. So suddenly my script is good for 90 days instead of 400 days.
    30 days x 4 pills=120 pills
    Price for 120 pills $18.38
    insurance pays $0.40
    I have to pay $17.98

So I turn around to pharmacist and am telling him that I do not care for my plan paying 40c I want the whole order as written on script and I will pay the whole thing my self.
    I will save on a gas by not having to visit him once a month.

Sound simple, but is not.

If insurance is not involved, now pharmacist want $80 for the same 120 pills instead of previous $18.38

Only in America.

I took the 120 pills in stupid plastic container, paid $17.98

that is 17.98/120=$0.1498 per grain
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    I am going to call LEF tomorrow and check, possibly they are also selling original Armour at good price.
    ============================== ============================== ==================
    And the best kicker of all:

I got actual Armour Thyroid pills because I asked for a brand medication.
    In paperwork that is included with my pills I read that had I asked for generic
    I would have got Synthroid.

How many suckers are trying to save last penny and are getting Synthroid for their thyroid problems.
    How many doctors who know that patient should use Armour allow them to use generic kind and suddenly patient have Synthroid (T4) instead of intended (T1+T2+T3+T4)
    If someone filled synthroid as generic for Armour, that would be malpractice. Let me know about the LEF inquiry.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Substance WPI CLEARANCE--$12.95 LIMITED SUPPY
    By stryder in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2005, 02:11 AM
  2. Generic vs SNAC ZMA
    By stratvox in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 11:30 PM
  3. generic nolvadex
    By mulletman in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1