JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Quote:
Furthermore, melatonin decreases circulating levels of estradiol.
--------------------------------------------------------
We do not talk much about melatonin on this board.

I was taking Melatonin few years back.
Advisor from LEF told me to stop it, without much explanations of why.

What are the opinions on Melatonin.
I love melatonin. I sleep great with 3 mg. before bedtime. Some advice against long term use but I don't remember why they advice against long term use of melatonin.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
I love melatonin. I sleep great with 3 mg. before bedtime. Some advice against long term use but I don't remember why they advice against long term use of melatonin.
People with adrenal fatigue (low cortisol) should not take any more then 500 mcg a night it counteracts coritosl (which is already low)

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I think most people can do well on 500mcg to 1 mg. 3 mg is pretty high and likely represents a level above and beyond endogenous production...but that's just my speculation.

Used the night of workout days, it really helps with recovery. The estrogen thing is a big bonus IMO. There's probably a relationship between lowering melatonin levels as we age and rising estrogen levels...at least it's part of the bigger picture.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
I think most people can do well on 500mcg to 1 mg. 3 mg is pretty high and likely represents a level above and beyond endogenous production...but that's just my speculation.

Used the night of workout days, it really helps with recovery. The estrogen thing is a big bonus IMO. There's probably a relationship between lowering melatonin levels as we age and rising estrogen levels...at least it's part of the bigger picture.
Its one vicious cycle which just starting to surface ..
melatoin also helps with estrone metabolism as well..

aculpep

Awards
The timed release kind seems to help with that. The other kind I quit taking since it made me way too groggy in the morning ( I believe I have adrenal fatigue) switched to the timed release split in half talking 1.5 seems ok. It helps me dream which I rarely ever do without it.

People with adrenal fatigue (low cortisol) should not take any more then 500 mcg a night it counteracts coritosl (which is already low)

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
The timed release kind seems to help with that. The other kind I quit taking since it made me way too groggy in the morning ( I believe I have adrenal fatigue) switched to the timed release split in half talking 1.5 seems ok. It helps me dream which I rarely ever do without it.
SAne here my dreams suck even with 300 mgs b-6 does nothing..

aculpep

Awards
Yeah I love to dream so bummed I dont anymore. I used to dream A LOT and could daydream too so it's weird I lost it. I've had good luck with source naturals timed release 3mg. (split in half)

SAne here my dreams suck even with 300 mgs b-6 does nothing..

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I just started taking melatonin recently and also started having some bizarre and memorable dreams. Prior to this..I hadn't dreamt in years...at least nothing I could remember.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I just started taking melatonin recently and also started having some bizarre and memorable dreams. Prior to this..I hadn't dreamt in years...at least nothing I could remember.
Yep, that will happen initially but it should subside after several months of regular use.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Never knew about this. I'm usually stressed out from September - December because the hours are pretty long and somewhat intense at work so I mostly use it during that period. How would one know if he/she has adrenal fatigue ?

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
Working third shift sometimes kicks my a@@...I actually like taking it versus taking Ambien. I use NOW's 1mg time released and sleep like a baby.