Got a surprise

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
I have been a bit under the weather lately, just had a few bouts with some bugs going around. The doctor decided to do some basic blood work on me and I requested them check my test levels along with my thyroid. I didn't know all the tests that I would need, but these are what I asked for.

Well I got the results back today:

Serum Testosterone- 345ng/dl (241-827)
DHEA Sulfate- 185 ug/dl (120-520)
TSH- 2.66 4 uIU/ml (.350-5.5)
T4- 7.6ug/dl (4.5-12.0)
T3 Uptake- 29%
Free Thyroxine 2.2

I am turning 32 soon. I honestly have felt a decrease in sex drive over the past 4-5 years. I have had times where I was feeling great, like when I was taking Resveratrol I always felt better/hornier) but other times I have had a real drag with it. this just sort of opened up my eyes to a possible issue.

So I asked the doctor if he would help me and he said no, everything was normal and for me to take a multi-vitamin and maybe some saw palmetto. I instantly knew that the conversation wasn't going to go anywhere so I just had him fax me my lab work. All other internal issues were great.

So, do you guys think I need to start searching for a Doctor?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I have been a bit under the weather lately, just had a few bouts with some bugs going around. The doctor decided to do some basic blood work on me and I requested them check my test levels along with my thyroid. I didn't know all the tests that I would need, but these are what I asked for.

Well I got the results back today:

Serum Testosterone- 345ng/dl (241-827)
DHEA Sulfate- 185 ug/dl (120-520)
TSH- 2.66 4 uIU/ml (.350-5.5)
T4- 7.6ug/dl (4.5-12.0)
T3 Uptake- 29%
Free Thyroxine 2.2

I am turning 32 soon. I honestly have felt a decrease in sex drive over the past 4-5 years. I have had times where I was feeling great, like when I was taking Resveratrol I always felt better/hornier) but other times I have had a real drag with it. this just sort of opened up my eyes to a possible issue.

So I asked the doctor if he would help me and he said no, everything was normal and for me to take a multi-vitamin and maybe some saw palmetto. I instantly knew that the conversation wasn't going to go anywhere so I just had him fax me my lab work. All other internal issues were great.

So, do you guys think I need to start searching for a Doctor?
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/66268-jans-bloodtest-april13-2.html

post#44 blood test

post #56 how to find doctor

rick055

Awards
  • Established
Fabulous-

I know just how you feel. I am 36 and have felt like crud for a while. My energy, drive and libido are all low. Antidepressants do next to nothing (I've been on them all). Adderall helped marginally but was clearly treating the symptom and not the cause. Like all problem solving oriented males I just want a cause I can sink my teeth into and fix.

Couple that with the considerations for HRT (it's for life, which protocol is best...) and the myriad of questions surrounding the issue and I just want to grab a pint of hagen dazs, sit on the couch and watch Oprah. (AHA, I DO need testosterone!! lol)

Seriously, though, I want to know how quantifiable testosterone or thyroid would change my QOL if that is, in fact, what I need. Is it a life altering experience?

Anyways, good luck to you in whatever you choose to do.

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Fabulous,
The problem that I see right away is that you got a blood test while sick.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news my friend but your blood work is invalid.

Common colds, flu, infections etc all cause a temporary, and pretty hard, drop in blood levels of androgens, specifically testosterone. Expect to see T levels in the tank for at least 4 or 5 days AFTER you have gotten over your cold.

In fact, this is a big reason why we feel like shi t when we are sick - our androgens are in the crapper.

Where do you get your resveratrol? I get the same response from it as you do - awesome. My T level, of of just Resveratrol and Vit E, went from 490 to 731 alone.

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
Fabulous,
The problem that I see right away is that you got a blood test while sick.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news my friend but your blood work is invalid.

Common colds, flu, infections etc all cause a temporary, and pretty hard, drop in blood levels of androgens, specifically testosterone. Expect to see T levels in the tank for at least 4 or 5 days AFTER you have gotten over your cold.

In fact, this is a big reason why we feel like shi t when we are sick - our androgens are in the crapper.

Where do you get your resveratrol? I get the same response from it as you do - awesome. My T level, of of just Resveratrol and Vit E, went from 490 to 731 alone.
Plymouth City,

You know you have probably hit the nail on the head. Eric from Primordial also pointed something out that I had honestly forgotten, I used Epistane back in June with no PCT as I was pulsing with it. Dumb I know, but I really didn't feel any suppression, just my normal feeling. Back to being sick, I have been down with a bug for 3 weeks now. I went to Memphis for some training and got either a terrible stomach virus, food poisoning, Dysyntery, Scurvy, Malaria, Bird Flu or Ebola, it was one of them? Everything that I ate went straight through me for a week and a half. Then as soon as I started getting over that I got hit with sinuitis and I am now just getting over it.

I can only dream of what a real dose of Trans-Resveratrol would do to me. I was taking lightly dosed Now Foods brand and saw tremendous jumps in sex drive with it. My mouth waters for a monster dose. That with some heavy dosing of Pure Energy Rich Wheat Germ Oil(big time pure Vit- E) and I should be feeling super. I have only used Now foods brand but I am highly considering trying the Dermacrine. Where can one get the highest dosed Resveratrol for the right price? I would guess 1 gram per day would have me feeling like a super man.

Have any suggestions?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Plymouth City,

You know you have probably hit the nail on the head. Eric from Primordial also pointed something out that I had honestly forgotten, I used Epistane back in June with no post cycle therapy as I was pulsing with it. Dumb I know, but I really didn't feel any suppression, just my normal feeling. Back to being sick, I have been down with a bug for 3 weeks now. I went to Memphis for some training and got either a terrible stomach virus, food poisoning, Dysyntery, Scurvy, Malaria, Bird Flu or Ebola, it was one of them? Everything that I ate went straight through me for a week and a half. Then as soon as I started getting over that I got hit with sinuitis and I am now just getting over it.

I can only dream of what a real dose of Trans-Resveratrol would do to me. I was taking lightly dosed Now Foods brand and saw tremendous jumps in sex drive with it. My mouth waters for a monster dose. That with some heavy dosing of Pure Energy Rich Wheat Germ Oil(big time pure Vit- E) and I should be feeling super. I have only used Now foods brand but I am highly considering trying the Dermacrine. Where can one get the highest dosed Resveratrol for the right price? I would guess 1 gram per day would have me feeling like a super man.

Have any suggestions?
I did little study sometime ago, recheck this.

Resveratrol Caps 100 mg, 60 vegetarian capsules Item Catalog Number: 970
http://www.lef.org/newshop/items/item00970.html
$24.00 each

0.40 $$ per 100mg

REZ-V
http://www.t-nation.com/category.jsp?categoryID=34&pageNo=1&s=splash
$34.99 each
0.486 $$ per 100mg

Dual-Action Cruciferous Vegetable Extract With Resveratrol & Cat's Claw 60 vegetarian capsules Item Catalog Number: 969
http://www.lef.org/newshop/items/item00969.htm
$22.20 each
Resveratrol-20 mg
1.85 $$ per 100mg
=====================================
I use both of LEF products.

AnotherOldGuy

Awards
Reversatrol Differences?

What is the difference in Reversatrol from:

"Polygonum cuspidatum [Japanese Knotweed] Root Extract)"

and

"Vitis Vinifera Resveratrol (from french red wine extract) yielding no less than 5% trans-resveratrol and its glucosides and 40% polyphenols, proanthocyanidins, anthocyanins, and flavonoids"

Reading labels, and these descriptions looked too different.

MarkLA

Awards
By what mechanism does Vitamin E and Resveratrol effect T levels?

Thanks
Mark

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Have any suggestions?
As JansZ pointed out, LEF.org is the place to go.

I used to get mine at t-nation.com, but not anymore, LEF is a tad cheaper.

Become a lef member, great discounts.

I also get it threw Dermacrine/Derm Sustain products as well.

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
By what mechanism does Vitamin E and Resveratrol effect T levels?

Thanks
Mark
"There's a substance in nature that's been the subject of a whole lot of worldwide research lately. It's called resveratrol and it's a polyphenol found in such foods as peanuts, grapes (and consequently, wine), and mulberries.

Resveratrol has a whole lot of good things going for it, but the one we're most interested in has to do with estrogen. You see, resveratrol acts as a potent estrogen antagonist (while also acting as an agonist in some tissues, similar to the drugs clomiphene and tamoxifen).

In higher concentrations, it acts as an aromatase inhibitor. That means that it stops the body from whittling away at your Testosterone.

This is cool because if a substance stops Testosterone from being converted to estrogen or estradiol, it not only prevents the nasty effects of estrogen (loss of muscle and strength and accrual of body fat), but it increases your level of Testosterone, leading to additional strength and muscle!

What's equally important is that it won't cause your Testicles to go on vacation, i.e. shrink. The testicles don't get a signal from the pituitary to shut down because estrogen has been curtailed!

There's a lot of good data in animal models to back this up. Studies have demonstrated a resveratrol-fueled increase in Luteinizing Hormone and Follicle Stimulating Hormone (the pituitary hormones that signal the testicles to start producing Testosterone) that's 2.7 times greater than placebo.

Additionally, resveratrol caused a 76% increase in sperm count, all of this without any adverse effects. (1)

The aromatase inhibition is thought to occur through two mechanisms: reducing the expression of aromatase, as well as binding to the enzyme and preventing it from doing its dirty work.

And, unlike conventional aromatase inhibitors, resveratrol doesn't cause a decline in endothelial (blood vessel) function. In fact, it seems to improve it! (2-12)

And remember those nasty xenoestrogens I mentioned earlier? Resveratrol seems to occupy the receptor sites, or biological "parking lots," so that these xenoestrogens can't "park" in their spots. That's good.

MORE GOOD STUFF

While athletes should no doubt be excited about these Testosterone-increasing, estrogen-lowering effects of resveratrol, male and female Life Extension people have been all over this substance for other reasons.

An overwhelming amount of literature on resveratrol has demonstrated potent cardiovascular benefits, anti-aging effects, powerful anti-cancer effects, anti-arthritic, and neurological effects (e.g. potential benefits in treating Alzheimer's Disease). Many of these benefits seem to stem from anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory effects as well as gene modulation. (13-21)

What the Life Extension people are most excited about, though, is that resveratrol might actually extend lifespan.

Remember those calorie deprivation people that believed you could extend your lifespan considerably by just munching on a ridiculously low number of calories each day?

Well, one proposed mechanism by which calorie deprivation can make you live longer is that it activates a protein called SIRT1 (sirtuin 1). Activation of this protein inhibits PPAR-gamma activity and this causes your body to burn fat.

It's not hard to imagine that having less fat might cause you to live longer, but remarkably, resveratrol activates this very same SIRT1 protein.

So even if you're not concerned with extending your life at this point, resveratrol can cause your body to burn fat.

Maybe you've heard of the "French Paradox" (and no, it has nothing to do with why their star soccer player would head butt a guy in the finals of the World Cup)?

It's the medical puzzle where certain populations (French and Greek) seem to experience a low incidence of coronary heart disease while eating a diet high in saturated fat. Epidemiologists have reasoned that it has to do with their daily consumption of red wine.

Well, many researchers have gone one step further and concluded that it was the resveratrol in the wine that was responsible for the French Paradox. (22-25)

This miracle substance has also been shown to have impressive anti-fungal and anti-viral properties, and may even protect the liver from excessive alcohol consumption or oxidative damage from taking too much acetaminophen. (26-39)

If all that wasn't enough, there's a good deal of data demonstrating that resveratrol is an extremely promising compound for the prevention and treatment of prostate cancer! (40-48)

So if taking Testosterone-boosting supplements has made you wary before because of possible prostate risks, resveratrol seems like the answer to your prayers."

• Acts as both an estrogen antagonist and an aromatase inhibitor.

• Increases Testosterone without causing testicular shutdown

• Promotes blood vessel health and cardiovascular health in general

• Exhibits anti-cancer effects, particularly anti prostate-cancer effects

• Exhibits anti-aging effects

• Promotes fat loss

• Has anti-inflammatory properties

• Acts as an anti-oxidant

• Exhibits anti-arthritic effects

• Shows anti-fungal and anti-viral effects

• Acts as a liver protectant

t-nation.com

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am in the process hans of pouring over all that info.

Any place in there of where they are getting their resveratrol cheap

rick055

Awards
  • Established
What is the recommended dosage of resveratol to take?

Is there a recommended "form" or are they all the same?

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What is the recommended dosage of resveratol to take?

Is there a recommended "form" or are they all the same?
Orally I would go with 300mg, no less.

Transdermally, threw Dermacrine Sustain. It won't be as convient as popping a few pills, but it will be much cheaper.

I like to cycle both. Gives me a break from the transdermal madness. 2 weeks Sustain, 1 week oral resveratrol.

I do not trust supplement companies for the most part. The only places I would buy resveratrol would be either lef or t-nation, or primordialperformance

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
I get great results from Now Foods brand. Its the only brand I have ever used.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
Honestly, of all the supplements that I have used none beat Now Foods quality. Garden of Life may be on par with them or better, but Now Foods are affordable.