Testosterone and Serotonin: What is the connection, if any? - AnabolicMinds.com

Testosterone and Serotonin: What is the connection, if any?

1. New Member

Testosterone and Serotonin: What is the connection, if any?

As anyone who has read even a few posts here knows, low T and depression go hand in hand.

As part of my road to recovery, I had my Neurotranmitters tested. Not surprisingly, many are low including serotonin, which is directly related to mood and state of mind.

With this in mind, is there a connection between low T and Serotonin? What about low T and other neurotransmitters, like dopamine?

If there is a connection, can restoring or helping one end of the equation help the other? On other words, if one boosts T can this also raise serotonin? I ask this as I will be trying the supplements suggested by Neuro Science, who did my test. They are intended to assist the adrenals and increase serotonin. We shall see.

Any thoughts/ideas? Discuss?

2. New Member

I went undiagnosed with low T for twenty years and during that time I had major anxiety most of the time. It wasn’t debilitating by any means but a major part of my life. When I started TRT the anxiety pretty much went away. I still have a little now and then but nothing like I used to. I was on Luvox and then effexor for close to five years and since I got my testosterone straightened out I have taken or needed to take anything to close to three years now. In my mind I know there is a connection between testosterone and neurotransmitters.
  3. Professional Member

Quote Originally Posted by bioman3131 View Post
    I went undiagnosed with low T for twenty years and during that time I had major anxiety most of the time. It wasn’t debilitating by any means but a major part of my life. When I started TRT the anxiety pretty much went away. I still have a little now and then but nothing like I used to. I was on Luvox and then effexor for close to five years and since I got my testosterone straightened out I have taken or needed to take anything to close to three years now. In my mind I know there is a connection between testosterone and neurotransmitters.
    I did not took any anti depressants, other than that my experience is similar.

This is one reason why I so much sympatize with people who are being experimented on for years via clomid, hcg, then incomplete transdermals before (hopefully) they are given T-shots. Even with T-shots they have to graduate to complete dose.

The doubtfull gain (if any) is not worth of years with depression.

Actually, just getting relief from depression is worth going on TRT, forget the extra bonus, relief from ED (most but not all the time).
    •   

4. New Member

anyman: Read the "Antidepressants" thread on the old meso board. There is a gold mine of information there with a lot of really good stuff from Dr Mariano. In short, Testosterone and dopamine are tightly linked. Estrogen and serotonin are linked (although I am not sure if they are as strongly related as Testosterone and dopamine). Dopamine and Serotonin are inversely related. If dopamine levels rise too high, serotonin goes down.

It's not an exact science though. There is some discussion in the same thread on how the combo can rise/fall differently based on receptor response.

Cheers,
    Sonny
  5. Professional Member

Quote Originally Posted by T800 View Post
    anyman: Read the "Antidepressants" thread on the old meso board. There is a gold mine of information there with a lot of really good stuff from Dr Mariano. In short, Testosterone and dopamine are tightly linked. Estrogen and serotonin are linked (although I am not sure if they are as strongly related as Testosterone and dopamine). Dopamine and Serotonin are inversely related. If dopamine levels rise too high, serotonin goes down.

It's not an exact science though. There is some discussion in the same thread on how the combo can rise/fall differently based on receptor response.

Cheers,
    Sonny
    You can find most posts by Dr Mariano in attachment to post #55
    please point to missing posts, so I could add them to the set.

Jan's BloodTest April13/2007
  6. New Member

I am curious to know exactly how you had your neurotransmitters tested. What kind of test was this?
  7. New Member

It's through a company call neuroscience (more)

Quote Originally Posted by Deccadick View Post
    I am curious to know exactly how you had your neurotransmitters tested. What kind of test was this?
    Try this: http://www.neurorelief.com/

I never heard of this, but since recommended by Dr Shippen I gave it a shot. But for his recommendation I would been much more skeptical. So far, however, and since I've been upped from 500iu/ 3x wk of hcg to 1000 I feel much better. I can't tell you owhat is doing the trick. Maybe it's both.

I respect Dr Shippen and will give his recommendations a chance. I was fortunate in that my tests were covered (would have been $218 w/o ins). The products, however, are a bit expensive. I found them a bit cheaper from various places like here: http://www.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/

All I know is that I want to do the msot I can to reactivate my natural pathways before resorting to TRT. Even TRT is inevitable then at least let me keep what I have.
  8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by anyman View Post

I never heard of this, but since recommended by Dr Shippen I gave it a shot. But for his recommendation I would been much more skeptical. So far, however, and since I've been upped from 500iu/ 3x wk of hcg to 1000 I feel much better. I can't tell you owhat is doing the trick. Maybe it's both.

I respect Dr Shippen and will give his recommendations a chance. I was fortunate in that my tests were covered (would have been $218 w/o ins). The products, however, are a bit expensive. I found them a bit cheaper from various places like here: http://www.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/

All I know is that I want to do the msot I can to reactivate my natural pathways before resorting to TRT. Even TRT is inevitable then at least let me keep what I have.
    Only true real measurement is through spinal fluid.THis urine stuff for neurotrnamitters seems to just be a way to buy there supplements based upon the lab resuts.
  9. Professional Member

Quote Originally Posted by anyman View Post

I respect Dr Shippen and will give his recommendations a chance. I was fortunate in that my tests were covered (would have been $218 w/o ins). The products, however, are a bit expensive. I found them a bit cheaper from various places like here: Herbal Nutrition Supplements and Vitamins

There is a letter on neurorelief.com
    forbiding/discussing sells of their products by any other arrangements but practicioner his patient route.
    They have some kind of problems with process of supplying patients with the right supplements and them not acheiving desired results.

Be careful about timing of your supplements, it is crucial to succesful therapy.

Read the whole web site it contains a lot of good looking informations.

Do not overlook that succesful therapy may last up to a year and then there is a problem with maintenance under changing conditions.
    ============================== ============================== ===============
    Using
    Depo-T
    HCG
    Arimidex
    looks much simpler

neurotransmitter way and hormonal way are both for life.
  10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JanSz View Post
    forbiding/discussing sells of their products by any other arrangements but practicioner his patient route.
    They have some kind of problems with process of supplying patients with the right supplements and them not acheiving desired results.

Be careful about timing of your supplements, it is crucial to succesful therapy.

Do not overlook that succesful therapy may last up to a year and then there is a problem with maintenance under changing conditions.
    Using
    Depo-T
    HCG
    Arimidex
    looks much simpler

Your brain is fuked up because of liver/gut/ hormonal issues as i have previously mentioned several times before and is apparent in marianos writings. Look up estrogen and serotonin. Testosterone is not what causes mostlikely depression is estrogen that drive 5hiaa metabolism. Too much or too little estrogen symtpoms feel the same because serotonin metaoblism is slowed in the brain. Why do you hink peoples joints hurt when they have low serotoinin because probably estrogen are imbalanced..
  11. New Member

I will likely be using both-or at least what Dr. S recommends.

For now I am following their recommendations and buying from a different authorized supplier, who is cheaper.

I will likely end up on TRT as it seems inevitable. This said, I still wish to minimize the degree of dependency. Again, I wish to repair my body to the extent possible. If such is not possible then so be it. I have to try, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JanSz View Post

Using
    Depo-T
    HCG
    Arimidex
    looks much simpler

12. New Member

The hormone neurotransmitter connection is:

Testosterone increases dopamine.

Estrogen increases norepinephrine. When E2 levels get too high you can get anxiety and panic attacks. This is from the flight (fear) reaction of increased norepinephrine levels.

Progesterone increases serotonin. Men aren't in need of progesterone as often as women, which is also why serotonergic anti-depressants like SSRI's (Prozac) tend to not work very well on men.
  13. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by B Hildebrandt View Post
    The hormone neurotransmitter connection is:

Testosterone increases dopamine.

Estrogen increases norepinephrine. When E2 levels get too high you can get anxiety and panic attacks. This is from the flight (fear) reaction of increased norepinephrine levels.

Progesterone increases serotonin. Men aren't in need of progesterone as often as women, which is also why serotonergic anti-depressants like SSRI's (Prozac) tend to not work very well on men.
    you are correct by e2 also increases serotonin, gaba, and acetylcholine in the body.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Heart murmurs and steroids: What is the effect?
    By Irish480 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-25-2006, 10:05 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-27-2006, 01:43 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-17-2006, 10:34 AM
  4. What is the Difference b/w M4OHN and MOHN?
    By hognose in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 04:28 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2003, 11:54 AM