Your opinions on Flax Lignan's, Soy Isoflavones, and other phytoestrogens

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
For male hormone optimization (couldn't fit the whole title in the title space).

I'm currently researching phytoestrogens used in male enhancement/hormone balancing for possible application elsewhere, but would like to get a better idea and understanding of what phytoestrogenic compounds are typically used,user feedback on them,and (if you know) how they work.

Some phytoestrogens/sources you may be more familiar with:
-Flax
-Gingko Biloba
-Resveratrol
-IC3
-DIM
-Daizdein (soy)
-Genistein (soy)
-Calcium-d-glucarate

Thanks for reading, and I hope to hear your feedback,

:smite: thesinner

BigJimCalhoun

Awards
Most think flax is bad because it lowers testosterone. My doctor told me that. We also have a natural remedies book at the house and it touts flax as good because it lowers testosterone. (They were speaking specifically about those men who have prostate cancer). I haven't had any flax since my doctor told me that and he is a pretty sharp guy.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for you input Big Jim.

From the studies I've read in my research, results seem to keep flip-flopping, ESPECIALLY with flax and soy.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for you input Big Jim.

From the studies I've read in my research, results seem to keep flip-flopping, ESPECIALLY with flax and soy.
1 TBSP of flax will not hurt you its people that use it in excessive amounts that have problems

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
Most people take flax for the Omega 3's and though it is touted as a good source, the opposite is true. The only Omega 3 in flax is ALA which the body doesn't use - it converts it to EPA and DHA with little efficiency. It also converts to pro-inflammatory Prostaglandin 2, so if you're taking it for the Omega 3's you're wasting your time and money - take fish oil instead.

As for soy - unless it is fermented (ie miso), forget it.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I wonder if being on arimidex is an excuse to be able to have soy?
I like soy sauce, and soy milk, today I was at the supermarket just looking at the soy milk, which for some reason has more variety than normal milk. Thankfully I found a low fat chocolate (cows)milk.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most think flax is bad because it lowers testosterone. My doctor told me that. We also have a natural remedies book at the house and it touts flax as good because it lowers testosterone. (They were speaking specifically about those men who have prostate cancer). I haven't had any flax since my doctor told me that and he is a pretty sharp guy.
What's the name of your natural remedies book? Do they have any recommended phyto-E's in the book?

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Most people take flax for the Omega 3's and though it is touted as a good source, the opposite is true. The only Omega 3 in flax is ALA which the body doesn't use - it converts it to EPA and DHA with little efficiency. It also converts to pro-inflammatory Prostaglandin 2, so if you're taking it for the Omega 3's you're wasting your time and money - take fish oil instead.

As for soy - unless it is fermented (ie miso), forget it.
Dpends on certain people I had elevated dha and EPA levels in my blood but low levels of ALA which causes a defieincy in omega 3's. I have RBC FATTY ACID test to confirm this

Champ50

Awards
Well looks like no more flax oil for me. I have taken 2 tbsp per day on and off for a month or so, looks like I'm done with that. My question now becomes how much fish oil should I be getting per day as a 6'2 240lbs man?

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Well looks like no more flax oil for me. I have taken 2 tbsp per day on and off for a month or so, looks like I'm done with that. My question now becomes how much fish oil should I be getting per day as a 6'2 240lbs man?
1 tsp a day of high concentrate carlsons will be sufficent and eat some good fish :)

Champ50

Awards
1 tsp a day of high concentrate carlsons will be sufficent and eat some good fish :)
Sounds like a plan, thanks man. Also do you recommend more fish oil than 1 tsp a day to compensate if you can't eat fish. I'm allergic to fish and shellfish but I've never had any problems taking fish oil.

HondoElroy

Awards
Info on Soy....

http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/index.html

Other than minimal amounts of fermented soy, I wouldn't touch the stuff.

It is basically as toxic as Trans Fats are...

Funny how for 20+ years the Health industry told us that Saturated Fats were horrible for us and that hydrogenated vegetable oils and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils were GREAT for us. And just what ARE Trans Fats? Well, nothing more than hydrogenated vegetable oils and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils! So why did they have to call it something else? Well, think of the embarrassment of having to tell us that hydrogenated vegetable oils and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils are now terrible for us (The AMA and FDA both now recommend ZERO consumption of Trans Fats!).

In five to ten years you will see the same realization (waking up) as relates to Soy foods.

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
Info on Soy....

Funny how for 20+ years the Health industry told us that Saturated Fats were horrible for us and that hydrogenated vegetable oils and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils were GREAT for us. And just what ARE Trans Fats? Well, nothing more than hydrogenated vegetable oils and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils! So why did they have to call it something else? Well, think of the embarrassment of having to tell us that hydrogenated vegetable oils and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils are now terrible for us (The AMA and FDA both now recommend ZERO consumption of Trans Fats!).

In five to ten years you will see the same realization (waking up) as relates to Soy foods.
My wife bought some stuff at the store the other day and they had a big sticker on the packaging that said 0g Trans Fats!, but when I look at the ingredient list it has partially hydrogenated vegetable oil in it. What gives?

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
Dpends on certain people I had elevated dha and EPA levels in my blood but low levels of ALA which causes a defieincy in omega 3's. I have RBC FATTY ACID test to confirm this
I don't understand. Although recent research suggests that ALA has a role outside of providing raw material for conversion to EPA and DHA, it has yet to be clarified. Can you provide some insight as to how you're deficient in Omega 3s when you have an abundance of the two primary EFAs that are known to be beneficial to our health?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My wife bought some stuff at the store the other day and they had a big sticker on the packaging that said 0g Trans Fats!, but when I look at the ingredient list it has partially hydrogenated vegetable oil in it. What gives?
Companies are allowed to 'round off'. 0 grams trans fat means that there is not a significant amount, but there is some TFA's nonetheless.