Your opinions on Flax Lignan's, Soy Isoflavones, and other phytoestrogens

  1. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11892
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.08%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Your opinions on Flax Lignan's, Soy Isoflavones, and other phytoestrogens


    For male hormone optimization (couldn't fit the whole title in the title space).

    I'm currently researching phytoestrogens used in male enhancement/hormone balancing for possible application elsewhere, but would like to get a better idea and understanding of what phytoestrogenic compounds are typically used,user feedback on them,and (if you know) how they work.

    Some phytoestrogens/sources you may be more familiar with:
    -Flax
    -Gingko Biloba
    -Resveratrol
    -IC3
    -DIM
    -Daizdein (soy)
    -Genistein (soy)
    -Calcium-d-glucarate

    Thanks for reading, and I hope to hear your feedback,

    thesinner
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line

  2. New Member
    BigJimCalhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    45
    Posts
    184
    Rep Power
    190
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    56.82%

    Most think flax is bad because it lowers testosterone. My doctor told me that. We also have a natural remedies book at the house and it touts flax as good because it lowers testosterone. (They were speaking specifically about those men who have prostate cancer). I haven't had any flax since my doctor told me that and he is a pretty sharp guy.
  3. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11892
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.08%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Thanks for you input Big Jim.

    From the studies I've read in my research, results seem to keep flip-flopping, ESPECIALLY with flax and soy.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    hardasnails1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,039
    Rep Power
    1162
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    84.09%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    Thanks for you input Big Jim.

    From the studies I've read in my research, results seem to keep flip-flopping, ESPECIALLY with flax and soy.
    1 TBSP of flax will not hurt you its people that use it in excessive amounts that have problems
  5. New Member
    gdbear65's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    242
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    44.28%

    Most people take flax for the Omega 3's and though it is touted as a good source, the opposite is true. The only Omega 3 in flax is ALA which the body doesn't use - it converts it to EPA and DHA with little efficiency. It also converts to pro-inflammatory Prostaglandin 2, so if you're taking it for the Omega 3's you're wasting your time and money - take fish oil instead.

    As for soy - unless it is fermented (ie miso), forget it.
  6. Registered User
    ItsHectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    4375
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    45.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I wonder if being on arimidex is an excuse to be able to have soy?
    I like soy sauce, and soy milk, today I was at the supermarket just looking at the soy milk, which for some reason has more variety than normal milk. Thankfully I found a low fat chocolate (cows)milk.
  7. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11892
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.08%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimCalhoun View Post
    Most think flax is bad because it lowers testosterone. My doctor told me that. We also have a natural remedies book at the house and it touts flax as good because it lowers testosterone. (They were speaking specifically about those men who have prostate cancer). I haven't had any flax since my doctor told me that and he is a pretty sharp guy.
    What's the name of your natural remedies book? Do they have any recommended phyto-E's in the book?
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  8. Registered User
    hardasnails1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,039
    Rep Power
    1162
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    84.09%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by gdbear65 View Post
    Most people take flax for the Omega 3's and though it is touted as a good source, the opposite is true. The only Omega 3 in flax is ALA which the body doesn't use - it converts it to EPA and DHA with little efficiency. It also converts to pro-inflammatory Prostaglandin 2, so if you're taking it for the Omega 3's you're wasting your time and money - take fish oil instead.

    As for soy - unless it is fermented (ie miso), forget it.
    Dpends on certain people I had elevated dha and EPA levels in my blood but low levels of ALA which causes a defieincy in omega 3's. I have RBC FATTY ACID test to confirm this
  9. New Member
    Champ50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    134
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    63.49%

    Well looks like no more flax oil for me. I have taken 2 tbsp per day on and off for a month or so, looks like I'm done with that. My question now becomes how much fish oil should I be getting per day as a 6'2 240lbs man?
  10. Registered User
    hardasnails1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,039
    Rep Power
    1162
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    84.09%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Champ50 View Post
    Well looks like no more flax oil for me. I have taken 2 tbsp per day on and off for a month or so, looks like I'm done with that. My question now becomes how much fish oil should I be getting per day as a 6'2 240lbs man?
    1 tsp a day of high concentrate carlsons will be sufficent and eat some good fish
  11. New Member
    Champ50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    134
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    63.49%

    Quote Originally Posted by hardasnails1973 View Post
    1 tsp a day of high concentrate carlsons will be sufficent and eat some good fish
    Sounds like a plan, thanks man. Also do you recommend more fish oil than 1 tsp a day to compensate if you can't eat fish. I'm allergic to fish and shellfish but I've never had any problems taking fish oil.
  12. New Member
    HondoElroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    102
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    31.67%

    Info on Soy....

    http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/

    http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/index.html


    Other than minimal amounts of fermented soy, I wouldn't touch the stuff.

    It is basically as toxic as Trans Fats are...

    Funny how for 20+ years the Health industry told us that Saturated Fats were horrible for us and that hydrogenated vegetable oils and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils were GREAT for us. And just what ARE Trans Fats? Well, nothing more than hydrogenated vegetable oils and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils! So why did they have to call it something else? Well, think of the embarrassment of having to tell us that hydrogenated vegetable oils and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils are now terrible for us (The AMA and FDA both now recommend ZERO consumption of Trans Fats!).

    In five to ten years you will see the same realization (waking up) as relates to Soy foods.
  13. Advanced Member
    Jeff's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Age
    44
    Posts
    637
    Rep Power
    463
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    79.75%

    Quote Originally Posted by HondoElroy View Post
    Info on Soy....

    Funny how for 20+ years the Health industry told us that Saturated Fats were horrible for us and that hydrogenated vegetable oils and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils were GREAT for us. And just what ARE Trans Fats? Well, nothing more than hydrogenated vegetable oils and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils! So why did they have to call it something else? Well, think of the embarrassment of having to tell us that hydrogenated vegetable oils and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils are now terrible for us (The AMA and FDA both now recommend ZERO consumption of Trans Fats!).

    In five to ten years you will see the same realization (waking up) as relates to Soy foods.
    My wife bought some stuff at the store the other day and they had a big sticker on the packaging that said 0g Trans Fats!, but when I look at the ingredient list it has partially hydrogenated vegetable oil in it. What gives?
  14. New Member
    gdbear65's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    242
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    44.28%

    Quote Originally Posted by hardasnails1973 View Post
    Dpends on certain people I had elevated dha and EPA levels in my blood but low levels of ALA which causes a defieincy in omega 3's. I have RBC FATTY ACID test to confirm this
    I don't understand. Although recent research suggests that ALA has a role outside of providing raw material for conversion to EPA and DHA, it has yet to be clarified. Can you provide some insight as to how you're deficient in Omega 3s when you have an abundance of the two primary EFAs that are known to be beneficial to our health?
  15. plymouth city's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,299
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    89.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    soy sauce is perfectly fine.
  16. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11892
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.08%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    My wife bought some stuff at the store the other day and they had a big sticker on the packaging that said 0g Trans Fats!, but when I look at the ingredient list it has partially hydrogenated vegetable oil in it. What gives?
    Companies are allowed to 'round off'. 0 grams trans fat means that there is not a significant amount, but there is some TFA's nonetheless.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Your opinion on HST training?
    By darius in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 237
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 01:26 PM
  2. Your opinions on this cycle?
    By Anarchy939 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 06:16 PM
  3. Your Opinion on this cycle plan...
    By candle25 in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 09:35 AM
  4. High volume training, your opinions on my program
    By meathead1987 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 04:16 PM
  5. Hey Bobo your opinion on seated shoulder presses?
    By Chuck in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 09:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in