Cholesterol help

T800

T800

Awards
Hey Guys,

There is a ton of info out there about how to lower your cholesterol, but I have the opposite problem and it seems that others here do, too.

Here are my last 3 lipid panel results.

TRT programs at the times of tests were:
3/27: Nolvadex 20mg every day
5/31: 100mg Test Cyp/week + 500 iu HCG/week
7/19: 120mg Test Cyp/week + 450 iu HCG/week

Notes about my diet:
1. I have been on 5g/day of fish oil for a long time...probably at least a year.
2. In the last 4 months or so, my wife has been doing her own fitness program and since she cooks, we all eat what she eats. :) We've been primarily eating fish, chicken, turkey, and shrimp for protein. I can see the minimal red meat intake is probably not what I want.
3. In the last week or so, I've been taking 500mg of flushing Niacin 2x per day in order to try to get HDL up.

I need to get my HDL up and my total cholesterol up, too, right? CHOL starts the hormone cascade and I've seen tons of reports of the dangers of low CHOL. The only info that I could find for this was: eat red meat and whole dairy foods.

I am trying to eat a clean diet to help with my fitness goals, so I don't really want to pound down hamburgers every day!

Thoughts?

Thanks, guys.

Sonny

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Hey Guys,

There is a ton of info out there about how to lower your cholesterol, but I have the opposite problem and it seems that others here do, too.

Here are my last 3 lipid panel results.

TRT programs at the times of tests were:
3/27: Nolvadex 20mg every day
5/31: 100mg Test Cyp/week + 500 iu HCG/week
7/19: 120mg Test Cyp/week + 450 iu HCG/week

Notes about my diet:
1. I have been on 5g/day of fish oil for a long time...probably at least a year.
2. In the last 4 months or so, my wife has been doing her own fitness program and since she cooks, we all eat what she eats. :) We've been primarily eating fish, chicken, turkey, and shrimp for protein. I can see the minimal red meat intake is probably not what I want.
3. In the last week or so, I've been taking 500mg of flushing Niacin 2x per day in order to try to get HDL up.

I need to get my HDL up and my total cholesterol up, too, right? CHOL starts the hormone cascade and I've seen tons of reports of the dangers of low CHOL. The only info that I could find for this was: eat red meat and whole dairy foods.

I am trying to eat a clean diet to help with my fitness goals, so I don't really want to pound down hamburgers every day!

Thoughts?

Thanks, guys.

Sonny
Drop fish oils for a bit..They are hypocholesteric as well as TRIG and LDL are lowered..
Look into fatty liver..means cholestrol/ fat is being stored in the liver and not being released or its being binded by excessive fiber..Or low adrenals ..

Manganese coemzyme q10, pantithene, coenyzme A help drive cholestrol synthesis

AnotherOldGuy

Awards
I need to get my HDL up and my total cholesterol up, too, right? CHOL starts the hormone cascade and I've seen tons of reports of the dangers of low CHOL.
My total has been as low as 98, with corresponding HDL at 32.

I remember reading that low Chol isn't good, but what is more important are the ratio's. The typical TOT/HDL and TRIGL/HDL. The latter was getting some discussion when I was looking into it yrs ago.

I remember seeing an inverted bell curve - one axis total chol, and the other - death by all causes. The point was that very, very low chol not good either. I think the curve was in the book by Drs Eades and Eades, "Protein Power" - a more realistic low carb diet book for the masses.

When my cholesterol was low - I started many whole eggs per week, many. I got my total cholesterol up to 130 and my HDL up to 45, with Trigl's stable low. I would pound down burgers - the bun and condiments will kill you. But a nicely marbled steak, a dozen or more hard boiled eggs a week should do the trick. Eggs are a very good complete meal, especially for someone with low cholesterol. (again, just watch what you eat WITH them).

Seems like you may need to start eating mroe eggs and red meat, but I'm not a Dr, only passing along personal anecdotal evidence that it helped me. I did this about 20 yrs ago.

Now my Cholesteral hangs at 145-150, and my HDL around 50.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
My total has been as low as 98, with corresponding HDL at 32.

I remember reading that low Chol isn't good, but what is more important are the ratio's. The typical TOT/HDL and TRIGL/HDL. The latter was getting some discussion when I was looking into it yrs ago.

I remember seeing an inverted bell curve - one axis total chol, and the other - death by all causes. The point was that very, very low chol not good either. I think the curve was in the book by Drs Eades and Eades, "Protein Power" - a more realistic low carb diet book for the masses.

When my cholesterol was low - I started many whole eggs per week, many. I got my total cholesterol up to 130 and my HDL up to 45, with Trigl's stable low. I would pound down burgers - the bun and condiments will kill you. But a nicely marbled steak, a dozen or more hard boiled eggs a week should do the trick. Eggs are a very good complete meal, especially for someone with low cholesterol. (again, just watch what you eat WITH them).

Seems like you may need to start eating mroe eggs and red meat, but I'm not a Dr, only passing along personal anecdotal evidence that it helped me. I did this about 20 yrs ago.

Now my Cholesteral hangs at 145-150, and my HDL around 50.
What about raw oragnic eggs or do you need them to be cooked to have the cholesterol raising effect?

te2te

Awards
FWIW, on 2/1/07, my total chol. was 131. On 4/2/07, it was 143 (work physical). And, on 4/20/07, it was 152. To increase my total chol. I started taking 1 tbsp of a good liquid fish oil twice a day and 2-3 whole eggs a day.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
FWIW, on 2/1/07, my total chol. was 131. On 4/2/07, it was 143 (work physical). And, on 4/20/07, it was 152. To increase my total chol. I started taking 1 tbsp of a good liquid fish oil twice a day and 2-3 whole eggs a day.
If a person has excessive oxidative stress fish oils can cause lipid perioxodation which can put extra stresses on an already taxed system...just some thing to think about :)

T800

T800

Awards
Thanks for all of the feedback, guys. Much appreciated!!

I have been eating about a dozen boiled eggs per week for the last month or so, but the chol hasn't really moved. Hmmm. I keep a detailed training diary and looking back, my intake of red meat has been slim to none, so I guess I'll work on that. I'll start eating my burritos with steak instead of chicken all of the time. :) So this isn't a free pass to a Big Mac every day, huh? Bummer. ;)

Thanks,
Sonny

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established

I have been eating about a dozen boiled eggs per week for the last month or so, but the chol hasn't really moved. Hmmm. I keep a detailed training diary and my intake of red meat has been slim to none, so I guess I'll work on that. I'll start eating my burritos with steak instead of chicken all of the time. :)

Thanks,
Sonny
Like I said fat may be getting stored in liver or not assimulated properly due to lack of bile acids affecting fat and cholesterol metabolism. Ox bile may be of help here (super digestive enyzmes by now work fine ).

It may be low for
1. adrenal imbalances
2. not metabolising fats properly in liver - building them up not releasing them from liver storage - lack of choline ..
3. lack of bile out put to absorb the cholesterol from intestinal tract
4. high thyroid lowers cholesterol
5. lack of insulin or insulin mafunction at receptor sites - low carb diets lower cholesterol..lower insulin levels through out the day
6. lack of Phosphodytl choline inside the cell and it is being replaced with cholesterol with in the cell membrane making it very stiff and ridget If cells are lacking certain fats cholesterol will be used to replace it.. What ever is low in serum could be elevated intracellular !! - NEVER THOUIGHT OF THAT DID YA HAHA.

Great smokies RBC fatty acids will pin point where imballances are in fatty acid compenent of cell membrane..

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
6. lack of Phosphodytl choline inside the cell and it is being replaced with cholesterol with in the cell membrane making it very stiff and ridget If cells are lacking certain fats cholesterol will be used to replace it.. What ever is low in serum could be elevated intracellular !! - NEVER THOUIGHT OF THAT DID YA HAHA.

CHOL is an important and abundant component of the cell membrane.
YEs very true, when a diet lacks choline or if the body can not keep up with the demand for its production (ie undermethyation, low sam-e, oxidative stress) body will break down the cell membrane PC to get it and in order to maintain intergredity of the cell membrane other EFAS may be used to replace it with other fats. if other fats are not available due to some alterations in fatty synthesis cholesterol is used. This is where estrogen could play a factor due to the fact that lack of it will cause hypomethylation and will cause fats to be stored instead will be released from the liver hence increasing heptic levels of triglucerides, LDL, and causing low serum levels. Thats why some estrogen is needed in males body because it does burn fat. Men that lack estrogen due to some genetic mutation tend to have muscle wasting and fat bellys despite high testosterone levels.. High testosterone levels with out adquete e2 = Beer belllys how funny is that..

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I have been eating about a dozen boiled eggs per week for the last month or so, but the chol hasn't really moved. Hmmm. I keep a detailed training diary and looking back, my intake of red meat has been slim to none, so I guess I'll work on that. I'll start eating my burritos with steak instead of chicken all of the time. :) So this isn't a free pass to a Big Mac every day, huh? Bummer. ;)

Thanks,
Sonny
Thats because the eating cholesterol part doesn't change cholesterol. If I recall right, your body naturally a few grams of cholesterol a day from fat intake. Your serum cholesterol seems to be more effected by fat intake, not from direct cholesterol intake. There are numerous studies that seem to show that. Even with the study below, and the men taking in almost a gram a day of cholesterol, it only raised their cholesterol by 5-6%, and obviously they aren't in the rest of their diet taking in 20g of cholesterol :D

Ginsberg et al. 1994. A dose-response study of the effects of dietary cholesterol on fasting and postprandial lipid and lipoprotein metabolism in healthy young men. Arterioscler. Thrombosis 14:576-586.

For these controlled feeding studies twenty-four young men were fed 30% fat diets (NCEP Step I) with addition of zero (128 mg cholesterol/day), one (283 mg/day), two (468 mg/day) or four (858 mg/day) eggs per day to the basal diet. Each diet was fed for eight weeks. Average plasma cholesterol levels in the twenty-four subjects were 155, 161, 162, and 166 mg/dl for the zero, one, two and four eggs per day feeding periods. Plasma total cholesterol increased 1.5 mg/dl per 100 mg/day added dietary cholesterol. There was no evidence that changes in dietary cholesterol intakes altered the postprandial plasma lipoprotein profile (lipoproteins thought to be involved in the development of atherosclerosis) and thus did not alter the atherogenic potential of the plasma lipoproteins. The data indicate that in the majority of healthy young men addition of two eggs per day to a low-fat diet has little effect on plasma cholesterol levels.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Look into fatty liver..means cholestrol/ fat is being stored in the liver and not being released or its being binded by excessive fiber..
With his lipid panel, and knowing the pathology of steatorrhoeic hepatosis I seriously doubt that this is the cause.

Any LFT's done on the labwork? GGT?

I would back off the niacin and add some saturated (not trans-fatty) fat too the diet as others have stated.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
With his lipid panel, and knowing the pathology of steatorrhoeic hepatosis I seriously doubt that this is the cause.

Any LFT's done on the labwork? GGT?

I would back off the niacin and add some saturated (not trans-fatty) fat too the diet as others have stated.
TRue your right about NASH..I over looked triglycerides they are good..

Add some saturated fats organic butter, ghee cocconut oil to your eggs, organic yougurt, whole cow milk organic
Sonny what was your homocysteine levels ? <5

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

Attachments

MarkLA

Awards
Hey T --

It's been a month since your initial post. Inquiring minds want to know about your progress!

I also have low cholesterol, very similar numbers to you. I've been advised to add Niacin, eggs and meat as well so it'd bee good to hear how you're progressing.

Take care,

Mark