just got Iodine test results..

MMAFIGHTER

Awards
Im currently under Dr. Johns care trying to figure out what looks like an adrenal/thyroid problem. As per his recomendation i started on 100mg of Iodoral/day. I decided to take the 24hour urinalasis prior to starting treatment just for my own curiosity.

A little backround- Im 26 work out regularly, fight MMA professionally, eat mostly fruits, vegetables, lean meats and fish. Obviously, my diet created a major iodine deficiency. Thought u guys might be curious, as I recall Dr. John saying he is pretty close to reccomending iodine supp. to all his patients.

Iodine Spot 0.020 Range- >0.149 mg/L

This test is for normal thyroid function and control of endemic goiter.
1)severe iodine deficiency is defined as a level of 0.025mg or less
2)moderate deficiency is definrd as a level of 0.025-0.050mg
3)mild deficiency is defined as a level of 0.050-0.100mg
4)boderline iodine deficiency is 0.100-0.150mg
5)For normal levels of thyroid hormones and control of endemic goiter under all physiological conditions, the thyroid needs levels of 0.150mg or greater

24hr Urine Loading Iodine/Iodide

Total Urine Vol 5,500 ml/24hr
I&I Loading 34 (low) range >44mg/24hr
I&I Saturation 69 (low) range >90% Total

Get your iodine levels checked guys!!

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Im currently under Dr. Johns care trying to figure out what looks like an adrenal/thyroid problem. As per his recomendation i started on 100mg of Iodoral/day. I decided to take the 24hour urinalasis prior to starting treatment just for my own curiosity.

A little backround- Im 26 work out regularly, fight MMA professionally, eat mostly fruits, vegetables, lean meats and fish. Obviously, my diet created a major iodine deficiency. Thought u guys might be curious, as I recall Dr. John saying he is pretty close to reccomending iodine supp. to all his patients.

Iodine Spot 0.020 Range- >0.149 mg/L

This test is for normal thyroid function and control of endemic goiter.
1)severe iodine deficiency is defined as a level of 0.025mg or less
2)moderate deficiency is definrd as a level of 0.025-0.050mg
3)mild deficiency is defined as a level of 0.050-0.100mg
4)boderline iodine deficiency is 0.100-0.150mg
5)For normal levels of thyroid hormones and control of endemic goiter under all physiological conditions, the thyroid needs levels of 0.150mg or greater

24hr Urine Loading Iodine/Iodide

Total Urine Vol 5,500 ml/24hr
I&I Loading 34 (low) range >44mg/24hr
I&I Saturation 69 (low) range >90% Total

Get your iodine levels checked guys!!
Quest Diagnostic offers two Iodine tests.
Should we use both or one of them?

• IODINE PANEL - (2503)
• IODINE, URINE (9549) (38959X) - (24950P)

http://cas2.questdiagnostics.com/scripts/webdos.wls?MGWLPN=QDCIAP21&wlapp=DOS&SearchString=iodine&tmradio=title&auto=false&tmsearch=Search&SITE=4&SearchString2=

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Quest Diagnostic offers two Iodine tests.
Should we use both or one of them?

• IODINE PANEL - (2503)
• IODINE, URINE (9549) (38959X) - (24950P)

Quest Diagnostics: Test Menu
AND PEOPLE MOCKED ME FOR GETTING IT DONE BUT AGAIN IT OPENED MANY DOORS AND IN FUTURE IT WILL EVEN OPEN UP MORE DOORS..

NExt step is to have a paient test bad to good ratio of less then 2 and do an iodine test at the same time then run that person for one month on just iodoral and see if there is a drastic change in the ratio which I bet there will be !! Also to if you are on iodoral and have adrenal fatigue it you will need to have adrenal support because the iodoral will put extra stress on thyroid and adrenals..BAnk on if your iodine is low your estrogen metaoblism is WACKED too..Also need 3,000 mgs vitamin C and 700 mgs of magnesium, 1/2 tsp sea salt 2 times day to flush out the build up of toxins..Let me guess you do not or have not salted your foods in years or have used seasalts instead of iodized..Plus sweating all the tim and constantly pissing it out as well.. MY levels where worse then yours even
my I & I loading was 24 >44
and other saturation was freaken 45 !!
I was only put on 50 mgs of iodoral a day for 6 months then 1 pill for rest of my life LOL YOu are at 100 mgs SHESH...IF you ate fish I bet you have a hell of a detoxifcation reaction..

Plus 5,550 ml is a ridiculus amout of water to piss out in one day...every hear of hypoatremia. Perosnally I think this could have skewed the test results..I took a urine test and naturopathic told me not to drink any mroe then 1 liter of water 2 days before and during the test because drinking 2 gallons flooded the test results ..

Spot check I would agree with because if you consume that much water you are just flushing iodine right out as well as other nutrients that protect adrenals. Simple cutting back on water could take extra stress of your adrenals

MMAFIGHTER

Awards
I actually tested as per the link u gave a while back hardasnails. You are right about my diet. Former bobybuilder/powerlifter/juicehead/idiot. Now Im concerned with my health and fighting and quality of life. I actually pissed out more than 5500ml but thats all the container held. I've been drinking massive amounts of water for so long i dont even know if its out of habit or necessity.

We're currently looking into adrenal/thyroid as my body temps rarely exceed 96. Ginna do the REIN test this week.

Jansz- I didnt run the test through quest. I cant post the link as i dont have enough posts, but im sure H.A.N. remembers.

Hopefully I can solve this riddle soon, as everyone thinks Im nuts cause physically I appear very health and in shape, but theres nothing health about temps that flucuate betwen 92 and 96 on any given day.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
I actually tested as per the link u gave a while back hardasnails. You are right about my diet. Former bobybuilder/powerlifter/juicehead/idiot. Now Im concerned with my health and fighting and quality of life. I actually pissed out more than 5500ml but thats all the container held. I've been drinking massive amounts of water for so long i dont even know if its out of habit or necessity.

We're currently looking into adrenal/thyroid as my body temps rarely exceed 96. Ginna do the REIN test this week.

Jansz- I didnt run the test through quest. I cant post the link as i dont have enough posts, but im sure H.A.N. remembers.

Hopefully I can solve this riddle soon, as everyone thinks Im nuts cause physically I appear very health and in shape, but theres nothing health about temps that flucuate betwen 92 and 96 on any given day.
BRo I am in the same boat but more I research bad:good ratio that is where I am leaning towards more and more. On armidex estrodial was suppressed but not estrone. By using hcg and DHEA my estrones where high. Given fact I lacked fish and severly iodine deficient this I am sure causing a major shift in good:bad ratios which is causing my thyroid and adrenals imabalnces as well as keep my homocysteine levels low..It is known that bad ratio affect cell profileration and low homocystein is indicative in cancer patience due to excess of estrogen. The alteration in estrogens I bet is behind my PROSTATE enlargement as well,,,Just in theree BRO you will be fine..Dr J will get down to bottoom of it..I am glad that I could have been of service and hopeully DR J wiil start to further investigate this with his clients !!! Be nice to see what your estrogen ratios are...IF my hypothesis is correct on this your estrogen will be severly altered and doing iodine will put them back in line with out DIM !!

Cut back on the water you are depleted minerals and nutrients out mainly potassium and sodium, calcium, magnesiun which your body needs to function..

MMAFIGHTER

Awards
We already ran complete metabolic profile:
sodium 142 (135-146mmol/L)
potassium 4.9 (3.5-5.3mmol/L)
chloride 106 (98-110mmmol/L)

T3 Free 301 (230-420pg/dL)

From the reading that I have been doing at STTM, i suspect that these numbers may not be so relevant as they do not reflect what is going on at the cellular level. I exibit many signs of low adrenal/thyroid, but i am confident that Dr. John will get me to where to need to be.

Maybe Phil has something to add?

Off to work. back at 5am.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
We already ran complete metabolic profile:
sodium 142 (135-146mmol/L)
potassium 4.9 (3.5-5.3mmol/L)
chloride 106 (98-110mmmol/L)

From the reading that I have been doing at STTM, i suspect that these numbers may not be so relevant as they do not reflect what is going on at the cellular level. I exibit many signs of low adrenal/thyroid, but i am confident that Dr. John will get me to where to need to be.

Maybe Phil has something to add?

Off to work. back at 5am.

Last October I had
Free (T3) 2.9pg/mL(2.3-4.2)
Free (T4)1.37ng/dL(0.61-1.76)

by April/07
Free (T3) 486 (230-420pg/dL
Free (T4) 1.6 (0.8-1.8)ng/dL

I started Armour sometimes in February when I was able to get it.
By the test time I was using 4 grains of Armour Thyroid.
I cut to 3grains now.

You have a room for Iodine and about 3grains.
I use 6 drops/day of Lugol's solution of Iodine, I put it in to my tea.

Amazon.com: Lugol's Iodine(1 Fluid Oz.): Health & Personal Care

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established

Last October I had
Free (T3) 2.9pg/mL(2.3-4.2)
Free (T4)1.37ng/dL(0.61-1.76)

by April/07
Free (T3) 486 (230-420pg/dL
Free (T4) 1.6 (0.8-1.8)ng/dL

I started Armour sometimes in February when I was able to get it.
By the test time I was using 4 grains of Armour Thyroid.
I cut to 3grains now.

You have a room for Iodine and about 3grains.
I use 6 drops/day of Lugol's solution of Iodine, I put it in to my tea.

Amazon.com: Lugol's Iodine(1 Fluid Oz.): Health & Personal Care
Did you take thyroid before the blood test..This will give inaccurate results..My gf mother had been doing that for 15 years and gained over 100 lbs I tolld her not to take before blood test and drs finally caught it. DRs upped her medicine and just in one week she has lost 12 lbs..And these are some of the top drs at mayoclinic SCARY HUH. Her dr seems to think in time she will not have to use breathing machione before bed time and diabetes will tend to settle down..Like phil and others why do they need to have to suffer when they do not need to..I'm still getting her to a good thyroid dr and eventually cut down on the 10 diffrent medicines she is taking for asthma, high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes it just ridiculous..

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I haven't done the iodine loading test yet, but my TSH was perfect last week and my free T4 was at the very high end of normal which I was pleased about.

Going to run 25mg of Iodine via Lugol's for a few more months, then do the test to try to get an idea of how much I really need to supplement with.

MMAFIGHTER

Awards
I have started Armour as per Dr. Johns instructions. I did 1 grain the first week and am currently holding at 2 grains. My blood tests were taken before starting iodine or Armour. I am thinking of increasing to 3 grains but am a little unsure if that will further stress my adrenals, as my temps. are all over the place and very inconsistent.
I have also noticed I have extremely low diastolic BP. I am often 120/45, 120/55. I know the machine is accurate as I test my brother frequently and he always comes up normal.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
I have started Armour as per Dr. Johns instructions. I did 1 grain the first week and am currently holding at 2 grains. My blood tests were taken before starting iodine or Armour. I am thinking of increasing to 3 grains but am a little unsure if that will further stress my adrenals, as my temps. are all over the place and very inconsistent.
I have also noticed I have extremely low diastolic BP. I am often 120/45, 120/55. I know the machine is accurate as I test my brother frequently and he always comes up normal.
When increasing do it slowly and at Dr J advise..Have you had your estrogen metaoblism check via urine becurious tosee if it is skewed in any way possible from low iodine

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Did you take thyroid before the blood test..This will give inaccurate results..My gf mother had been doing that for 15 years and gained over 100 lbs I tolld her not to take before blood test and drs finally caught it. DRs upped her medicine and just in one week she has lost 12 lbs..And these are some of the top drs at mayoclinic SCARY HUH. Her dr seems to think in time she will not have to use breathing machione before bed time and diabetes will tend to settle down..Like phil and others why do they need to have to suffer when they do not need to..I'm still getting her to a good thyroid dr and eventually cut down on the 10 diffrent medicines she is taking for asthma, high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes it just ridiculous..
Before blood test I was taking four 1grain pills daily. Approximately
9AM-2pills
1PM-1pill
5PM-1pill

My blood draw was about 8AM
After waking up on the day of blood raw I had only large glass of water then went to the lab.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
What the ND did not consider is that drastically changing water intake skews the testing. You want to "test where you live".

As long as the components in the urine are within acceptable concentrations for lab analysis, all is well.

This gentleman is a highly trained athlete, with gonads-to-the-wall training chronically. I think 2 gals per day is excessive, but it may indeed be necessary in some. Look how much solders in Iraq consume each day!

The lab called the ND and told him I drank too much water and test results where altered and I had to cut back on water. MY creatine levels in my urine had been consistantly low. ALtered methyation and low testosterone would have triggered that..

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Did you suffer any GI upset at 6 gtt QD?

Iodoral seems to be the easier choice.
When I started Lugol's solution of Iodine
sometimes in February,
for a week or so I had altered stool shape.
It was comming out in a lots of small pieces, like in deer or rabbit.
After that stopped all is uneventful.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
FWIW, I haven't had any GI issues at all with Lugol's in the range of 2-8 drops per day (8was a brief loading phase that lasted a week or two). In fact, my stools have been much more well formed since using it. I drink the lugol's in water every morning on an empty stomach with no issues...but then I get accused of having a cast-iron stomach by my wife.

fbcoach

Awards
Hope I am not butting in MMAFIGHTER, but a lot of your story sounds quite similar to my own. I was a serious athlete for years. Did a short stint of semi-pro football, competed in bodybuilding/powerlifting, did some local MMA fights (it was called shootfighting back then), used mild doses of steroids back in the eighties, then in the early 1990's I had a cervical lamenctomy done. This is where my problems began: fatigue, chronic pain, etc. I have had all the required tests done along with the 4 cortisol saliva tests and the blood spot thyroid tests. I was told over at STTM that my cortisol levels were extremely low and I was hypothyroid. I have a visited Dr. Crisler and also have a virtual consultation with him tomorrow. I will leave everything in his hands, but what has really caught my attention is your statement about drinking the 2 gallons of water daily. I have also been doing this for years. I wonder if this is contributing to my problems. I like the feeling of fullness the extra water gives me. I am also training with weights 2x/week and a little muay thai 2x/week. I am just really curious as to what the water intake has contributed to my problems. The water seems to cushion my body somewhat with the chronic pain and also curb some of my appetite. Anyway, your story seemed very familiar to my own, and I am curious as to what you find out.