24 HR cortisol results....are thes good...bad...awfful???

1. Registered User

24 HR cortisol results....are thes good...bad...awfful???

I have never had a 24 hour urine test so I am not sure how to interpret this cortisol result.

My levels for cortisol came in at:

Cortisol, Free, Urine 17.3 mcg/24 h 4.0-50.0
    Analysis performed by Tandem Mass Spectrometry
    Creatinine, 24-Hour Urine 1.95 g/24 h 0.63-2.50

17.3 appears to be very low in the range. My temperature is never higher than mid 97s but is steady. On the rare occassions when my temp was mid 98s I felt amazing.

I feel exhasuted in the morning when I wake up...start to do a little better towards lunch and then crash after eating. I usually feel my best later in the night

I have been taking Isocort for a while but with these levels, I assume I am not absorbing it. I have a prescription for Cortef but cant really afford it and when I did take it, it didnt seem much better.

I am taking Adrenal Essence by Xymogen and Drenatrophin for adrenal support but I guess they arent working.

Should I even be trying to raise my Cortisol?

If yes what else can I do to raise it?

Does my somewhat low but steady temp indicate a deficiency?

I also am taking levoxyl for thyroid. I was on Armour and it felt better but it got my T3 above range. My DR put me on levoxyl because I seem to be converting T4 to T3.

My Dr says my cortisol is normal......that is what concerns me. She also wants me to get my cholesterol "as low as possible". I now use her as a contra indicator

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by spinn View Post
    I have never had a 24 hour urine test so I am not sure how to interpret this cortisol result.

My levels for cortisol came in at:

Cortisol, Free, Urine 17.3 mcg/24 h 4.0-50.0
    Analysis performed by Tandem Mass Spectrometry
    Creatinine, 24-Hour Urine 1.95 g/24 h 0.63-2.50

17.3 appears to be very low in the range. My temperature is never higher than mid 97s but is steady. On the rare occassions when my temp was mid 98s I felt amazing.

I feel exhasuted in the morning when I wake up...start to do a little better towards lunch and then crash after eating. I usually feel my best later in the night

I have been taking Isocort for a while but with these levels, I assume I am not absorbing it. I have a prescription for Cortef but cant really afford it and when I did take it, it didnt seem much better.

I am taking Adrenal Essence by Xymogen and Drenatrophin for adrenal support but I guess they arent working.

Should I even be trying to raise my Cortisol?

If yes what else can I do to raise it?

Does my somewhat low but steady temp indicate a deficiency?

I also am taking levoxyl for thyroid. I was on Armour and it felt better but it got my T3 above range. My DR put me on levoxyl because I seem to be converting T4 to T3.

My Dr says my cortisol is normal......that is what concerns me. She also wants me to get my cholesterol "as low as possible". I now use her as a contra indicator
    I thought that when adjusting (simple case) for thyroid,
    you watch

pulse
    temperature
    FreeT3
    FreeT4

You have felt better on Armour, why do not you stay on Armour just reduce dose a bit to keep FreeT3 basically on top of range, check FreeT4, add T4 to raise it into high upper value.
    ============================== =========
    I am in a process of doing the above myself.
    I overshoot FreeT3 using 4grains Armour.
    I backed out to 3 grains. My FreeT4 (with 4grais) was about where I need it, it may end up low on 3 grains.
    My thyroid test (on 4grains) looks like:
    T3 Free 486 (230-420) pg/dL H
    T3 uptake 36.3 (22.0-35.0) % H
    T3,Total 165 (60-181) ng/dL
    T4,Free 1.6 (0.8-1.8) ng/dL
    T4,Total 10.2 (4.5-12.0) ug/dL
    TSH 0.01 0.4-5.5 L
    ----------
    Without Armour my FreeT3=290
  3. Registered User

I see a very good thyroid DR and pay cash. This is not the Dr I was referring to in the original post.

This DR took me off of Armour because he said I was converting T4 to T3 and did not need the T3. He said the enzymes that I have that are converting T4 to T3 would possibly deplete over time if I was taking the T3 in Armour.

I am more concerend with my cortisol right now....is 17 on a scale of 4-50 on a 24 hour urine test a very low number?
    •   

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by spinn View Post
    I see a very good thyroid DR and pay cash. This is not the Dr I was referring to in the original post.

This DR took me off of Armour because he said I was converting T4 to T3 and did not need the T3. He said the enzymes that I have that are converting T4 to T3 would possibly deplete over time if I was taking the T3 in Armour.

I am more concerend with my cortisol right now....is 17 on a scale of 4-50 on a 24 hour urine test a very low number?
    Up to you, but keep on checking your FreeT3.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Influence of DHEA administration on 24-hr cortisol concentration
    By FL3X MAGNUM in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-05-2013, 10:38 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 11:50 AM
  3. Proscar- The Good, Bad & The Ugly
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2003, 12:49 AM