Test, Dopamine and Neurology

rfish1966

Awards
There are guys a lot smarter than me out there so I wanted to throw this out for discussion. Some don't believe that Restless Leg Syndrome really exists, well I have had pain and crawling in my legs since before I could explain it. Anyways, I am a classic responder to parkinson\dopamine drugs sinemet, mirapex, requip etc. Well my last neurologist appointment I causally mentioned that I had low test levels and had been on depot shots and his eyes lit up...He was excited like a kid explaining a new toy. He was telling me how test and dopamine have a very tight relationship and are considered co-morbidities (sorry about the spelling) Anyways, in addition to my current treatment he was very insistant I go back on test, he said a lot of his male patients actually need higher levels than normal in a lot of cases in his office.

There is a ton of info when you google it...most above my head.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
There are guys a lot smarter than me out there so I wanted to throw this out for discussion. Some don't believe that Restless Leg Syndrome really exists, well I have had pain and crawling in my legs since before I could explain it. Anyways, I am a classic responder to parkinson\dopamine drugs sinemet, mirapex, requip etc. Well my last neurologist appointment I causally mentioned that I had low test levels and had been on depot shots and his eyes lit up...He was excited like a kid explaining a new toy. He was telling me how test and dopamine have a very tight relationship and are considered co-morbidities (sorry about the spelling) Anyways, in addition to my current treatment he was very insistant I go back on test, he said a lot of his male patients actually need higher levels than normal in a lot of cases in his office.

There is a ton of info when you google it...most above my head.
Your doc looks like a keeper.

rfish1966

Awards
About 4 years ago, can't remember why I was switched though. Might be worth a shot again.

anyman

Awards
  • Established
I too can suffer from intermittent RLS, but found a non drug way to control it

For the last few years I've suffered from RLS, although only on one leg and on an intermittent basis. I finally realized that my diet has much to do with it. If I have anything fatty or sweet, even diet soda (which I've since all but given up) after 6-7 pm then I'm guaranteed a jumpy right leg. Ever since I modified my diet I've been (knock on wood/keyboard) much better.

rfish1966

Awards
There are those who get aggrivation from diet, another common cause is pernacious anemia which If I remember right is usually caused by an inability to process b12 correctly. I also have problems when I eat too much fat, sugar or dairy.