Factors Affecting SHBG

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Hormonal and Nonhormonal Factors Affecting Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin Levels in Blood

Blackwell Synergy - Cookie Absent

If I had an access to this work I would be much smarter.
Then, one newer know, this is 1988 (old) stuff.

Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences
Vol. 538 Page 280 September 1988
Steroid-Protein Interactions: Basic and Clinical Aspects Second International Symposium on Binding Proteins

Hormonal and Nonhormonal Factors Affecting Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin Levels in Blood
J. H. H. THIJSSEN

================================================================
Thanks but no thanks....
=================================================================

Hormonal and nonhormonal factors affecting sex hor...[Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1988] - PubMed Result

SHBG concentrations increased when estrogens were taken orally for noncontraceptive purposes, but they did not change when they were administered percutaneously. As body weight increased the SHBG levels decreased despite hormonal status or sex. Further, the lower the fat content of one's diet the higher the SHBG levels and vice versa. SHBG levels are higher in males with flaccid lungs than they are in males with healthy lungs.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Steroidal and non-steroidal factors in plasma sex ...[J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 1992] - PubMed Result

It is possible to conclude that (1) several factors (calorie intake, energy balance and growth factors), other than steroids, may be involved in the regulation of SHBG levels in plasma; and (2) each regulating factor may act to a different extent depending on the various periods of the life cycle.
============================================================
Inhibition of sex hormone-binding globulin product...[J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1988] - PubMed Result

Insulin also inhibited both E2 and T4-stimulated SHBG production. T stimulated SHBG production to the same degree as E2. Finally, both E2 and insulin significantly increased cell number, an important consideration when expressing the effect of a hormone on SHBG production in cultured cells. We conclude that insulin and PRL inhibit SHBG production and confirm that T4, T, and E2 stimulate SHBG production in vitro. These findings suggest that insulin and PRL may be important factors in the regulation of SHBG production in vivo.
-------------------------------------------

And I thought that High T reduces SHBG
and
high E2 increases SHBG

where did I got that from?? scratching my head
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iHOP - Inhibition of sex hormone-binding globulin production in the human hepatoma (Hep G2) cell line by insulin and prolactin.
Sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) production in humans has been thought to be stimulated by estrogens and thyroid hormone and inhibited by androgens. However, recent data indicate that SHBG production in vitro is stimulated by both androgens and estrogens.
------
We conclude that insulin and PRL inhibit SHBG production and confirm that T4, T, and E2 stimulate SHBG production in vitro. These findings suggest that insulin and PRL may be important factors in the regulation of SHBG production in vivo.

J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. (1988)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Possibly something for Megazoid;

http://pmj.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/75/882/229
Gynaecomastia as a presenting feature of thyrotoxicosis

bilateral hydroceles

right testis to be diminished in size and there was marked lymphoedema of the left leg.

In our two patients, case 2 had a typical `thyrotoxic' sex hormone profile with raised SHBG, and total testosterone at the time of presentation. However, subclinical hypogonadism was also documented before presentation of thyrotoxicosis. The hormonal profile in case 1 (low testosterone, impaired FSH and LH response to LHRH, and normal SHBG) is consistent with hyperprolactinaemia. However, the fact that gynaecomastia (but not galactorrhoea) subsided after control of thyrotoxicosis, but before commencement of bromocriptine, further supports the suggestion that thyrotoxicosis was responsible for the gynaecomastia. Both cases showed resolution of gynaecomastia after reversal of thyrotoxicosis. These two cases share one common feature, namely the presence of an additional insult apart from thyrotoxicosis. In case 1, hyperprolactinaemia causing hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism, was a major factor with superimposed (relatively mild) thyrotoxicosis precipitating the clinical presentation. In case 2, the underlying pathology was (relatively mild) subclinical gonadal failure but the thyrotoxicosis was more severe.

nallepuh

Awards
Possibly something for Megazoid;

http://pmj.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/75/882/229
Gynaecomastia as a presenting feature of thyrotoxicosis

bilateral hydroceles

right testis to be diminished in size and there was marked lymphoedema of the left leg.

In our two patients, case 2 had a typical `thyrotoxic' sex hormone profile with raised SHBG, and total testosterone at the time of presentation. However, subclinical hypogonadism was also documented before presentation of thyrotoxicosis. The hormonal profile in case 1 (low testosterone, impaired FSH and LH response to LHRH, and normal SHBG) is consistent with hyperprolactinaemia. However, the fact that gynaecomastia (but not galactorrhoea) subsided after control of thyrotoxicosis, but before commencement of bromocriptine, further supports the suggestion that thyrotoxicosis was responsible for the gynaecomastia. Both cases showed resolution of gynaecomastia after reversal of thyrotoxicosis. These two cases share one common feature, namely the presence of an additional insult apart from thyrotoxicosis. In case 1, hyperprolactinaemia causing hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism, was a major factor with superimposed (relatively mild) thyrotoxicosis precipitating the clinical presentation. In case 2, the underlying pathology was (relatively mild) subclinical gonadal failure but the thyrotoxicosis was more severe.
Nice posts.

Confirms my idea of my high shbg down to high of the scale high t4, alltho might be more players in this game.

Possibly my gynecomastia feelings on testosterone has something to do with thyriod aswell. I read bout ppl going to doctors because of gynecomastia only to find out that they are hyperthyriod. Once condition has been resolved gynecomastia has resolved too.

cheers

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Nice posts.

Confirms my idea of my high shbg down to high of the scale high t4, alltho might be more players in this game.

Possibly my gynecomastia feelings on testosterone has something to do with thyriod aswell. I read bout ppl going to doctors because of gynecomastia only to find out that they are hyperthyriod. Once condition has been resolved gynecomastia has resolved too.

cheers
Yeh, the common wisdom on this board, AFAIK, is that
high E2 ----> gynecomastia
then I wondered, because many men have high E2 and only few grow breast tissue.
---
Good reason to check thyroid.

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established
Yeh, the common wisdom on this board, AFAIK, is that
high E2 ----> gynecomastia
then I wondered, because many men have high E2 and only few grow breast tissue.
---
Good reason to check thyroid.

Serum levels of E2 probably don't tell the whole story. Only speculating here, but "sensitivity" to E2 probably varies and may at least be partly related to receptors.

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Study is from 1988, I wouldn't put much stock into it, that is light years away.

We know now from AAS users that anytime they inject large amounts of T for cycles longer than a month SHBG goes down.

AI's also have this effect.