My TRT - cholesterol results

KSman

KSman

Awards
  • Established
When I started TRT, 100mg test cyp/wk, injected once a week, no AI and no HCG, after 2 months my cholesterol dropped from 270's to 206. My HDL was unchanged. Last lab work* my total cholesterol was 202. I also take 1000mg/day of Niacin (the kind that causes a flush), as well as lots of stuff from LEF that I was on when I had levels in the 270's.

* 98 mg test cyp per week as 28mg IM EOD, with 1mg/wk anastrozole and 250iu HCG SQ EOD

My last blood work showed high serum iron levels. So I resumed my blood donations to help lower the iron levels. I had also started taking a concentrated 'red yeast' product, one tablet per day. My total cholesterol level reported from the blood bank was 168. Such numbers are not from the controlled situation of fasting etc. It will be interesting to see what my fasting cholesterol numbers are with an CBC that I will be doing soon.

TRT alone for some can avoid the need for prescription statin drugs. Adding a 'weak' natural statin from 'red yeast' can lower total cholesterol further.

AnotherOldGuy

Awards
My last blood work showed high serum iron levels.
High? how high? (ie actual number and range).

What do you attribute the high level to? what are you doing except the blood donations?

KSman

KSman

Awards
  • Established
High? how high? (ie actual number and range).

What do you attribute the high level to? what are you doing except the blood donations?
Iron was 239 in a range of 40-155.

I don't know what the cause was. Now know that the heart friendly Cheerios have 50% of daily requirement in one serving. So I have those less often and take with a lactoferrin capsule when I do.

I otherwise take one lactoferrin a day and sometimes EDTA at bedtime. The blood donations probably will have the largest effect. I had to lay off those for a year after a trip to Mexico that has a malaria risk. 3.5 years ago I had low serum iron. I had a bad illness with high fever a month before the blood test with the high iron. I suspect that muscle loss/wasting that I experienced with that may have released a lot of iron into circulation.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
If you want to try lower iron more naturally, ZMA and Calcium. They are both iron antagonists.

AnotherOldGuy

Awards
I have heard that C supplements (ither than natural sources) increase the absorption of iron.

I have been told that zinc competes with iron for absorption, so increase the zinc a tad may help.

I have been told that "liver health" formulations can also help - like milk thistle and other liver care products.

Since you are just over the high end of the range - I agree that some sort of regular blood donation (ie 2x yr) would be more than adequate - and might help someone else out as well.

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Awesome man. Statin drugs and other script meds for cholesterol will soon be a thing of the past.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
I have heard that C supplements (ither than natural sources) increase the absorption of iron.

I have been told that zinc competes with iron for absorption, so increase the zinc a tad may help.

I have been told that "liver health" formulations can also help - like milk thistle and other liver care products.

Since you are just over the high end of the range - I agree that some sort of regular blood donation (ie 2x yr) would be more than adequate - and might help someone else out as well.

colstroum and lactoferrin, Milk thistle is actually used for chelation of iron, manganese , copper

AnotherOldGuy

Awards
A while back someone with high iron told me they started using a liver care product that did not contain Milk Thistle like all the other ones. He tells me that he had "way high" iron, and just took this product and got his iron in line without giving blood. (not suggesting you do not give blood - as it is a noble gesture).

Anyway, it is a blend of:

Capers (Latin name: Capparis spinosa)
Caper is a hepatic stimulant that have been used for improving the functional efficiency of the liver. Recent experimental studies also confirm its protective action on the histological architecture of the liver and the positive effects on liver glycogen and serum proteins.

Chicory (Latin name: Cichorium intybus)
Chicory is a powerful hepatic stimulant which increases bile secretion, promotes digestion and enhances the action of Capers. Experimental evidence has been obtained of its effect on liver glycogen and recent studies have shown the inhibition of free radical induced DNA damage.

Black Nightshade
(Latin name: Solanum nigrum)
The Black Nightshade plant and its berries contain various alkaloids that have been isolated and shown to have a dilating effect on the pupil. The main use, however, is to support a healthy liver, skin, kidneys and bladder. The most recent studies indicate that the hepatoprotective effect of the crude extract of Black Nightshade may be due to the suppression of the oxidative degradation of DNA.

Arjuna (Latin name: Terminalia arjuna)
Arjuna is a heart tonic that has been used to support cardiovascular functions since ancient times when it was discovered to have cardio-protective benefits. Recent studies have investigated the mechanism of this activity and has shown a dose-dependent regulation of blood pressure and heart rate. There was also a slight increase in the HDL-to-total cholesterol ratio and an overall improvement in the cardiovascular profile.

Negro Coffee (Latin name: Cassia occidentalis)
Negro Coffee has been traditionally used to promote normal bowel movements. It is a cousin species of Senna, a known and stronger purgative. Despite its name (which comes from its occasional use as a coffee substitute), Negro Coffee is absolutely unrelated to coffee.

Yarrow (Latin name: Achillea millefolium)
Yarrow has been traditionally used for support of the digestive and urinary functions. Its constitutents have been extensively studied and found to be of value as an alterative, diuretic, and tonic for the venous system. Additionally, Yarrow has been known to have a healing and soothing effect on the mucous membranes. It has been shown effective in regulating gastric and bile secretions.

Tamarisk (Latin name: Tamarix gallica)
Tamarisk, sometimes referred to as Saltcedar, has been traditionally used as a tonic and diuretic. It contains an alkaloid, Tamarixin, that has been linked to its effectiveness in conditions associated with hepatic insufficiency. There are indications that Tamarisk is also helpful in increasing platelet counts.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
A while back someone with high iron told me they started using a liver care product that did not contain Milk Thistle like all the other ones. He tells me that he had "way high" iron, and just took this product and got his iron in line without giving blood. (not suggesting you do not give blood - as it is a noble gesture).

Anyway, it is a blend of:

Capers (Latin name: Capparis spinosa)
Caper is a hepatic stimulant that have been used for improving the functional efficiency of the liver. Recent experimental studies also confirm its protective action on the histological architecture of the liver and the positive effects on liver glycogen and serum proteins.

Chicory (Latin name: Cichorium intybus)
Chicory is a powerful hepatic stimulant which increases bile secretion, promotes digestion and enhances the action of Capers. Experimental evidence has been obtained of its effect on liver glycogen and recent studies have shown the inhibition of free radical induced DNA damage.

Black Nightshade
(Latin name: Solanum nigrum)
The Black Nightshade plant and its berries contain various alkaloids that have been isolated and shown to have a dilating effect on the pupil. The main use, however, is to support a healthy liver, skin, kidneys and bladder. The most recent studies indicate that the hepatoprotective effect of the crude extract of Black Nightshade may be due to the suppression of the oxidative degradation of DNA.

Arjuna (Latin name: Terminalia arjuna)
Arjuna is a heart tonic that has been used to support cardiovascular functions since ancient times when it was discovered to have cardio-protective benefits. Recent studies have investigated the mechanism of this activity and has shown a dose-dependent regulation of blood pressure and heart rate. There was also a slight increase in the HDL-to-total cholesterol ratio and an overall improvement in the cardiovascular profile.

Negro Coffee (Latin name: Cassia occidentalis)
Negro Coffee has been traditionally used to promote normal bowel movements. It is a cousin species of Senna, a known and stronger purgative. Despite its name (which comes from its occasional use as a coffee substitute), Negro Coffee is absolutely unrelated to coffee.

Yarrow (Latin name: Achillea millefolium)
Yarrow has been traditionally used for support of the digestive and urinary functions. Its constitutents have been extensively studied and found to be of value as an alterative, diuretic, and tonic for the venous system. Additionally, Yarrow has been known to have a healing and soothing effect on the mucous membranes. It has been shown effective in regulating gastric and bile secretions.

Tamarisk (Latin name: Tamarix gallica)
Tamarisk, sometimes referred to as Saltcedar, has been traditionally used as a tonic and diuretic. It contains an alkaloid, Tamarixin, that has been linked to its effectiveness in conditions associated with hepatic insufficiency. There are indications that Tamarisk is also helpful in increasing platelet counts.
Name and link to it please.