Figure this one out..

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
My best friend (age 33) has a mild case of ulcerative colitis..which is really a sideline to this story. In any case, he had to do a short pulse of Prednisone to bring it under control.

I warned him about all the nasty sides from this drug but to my surprise he reported back that "He felt absolutely wonderful.." on it and wishes he could stay on it.:think:

He claimed he was able to sleep better than he had in years, regain a lot of flexibility in his back and all the aches and pains in his back and joints went completely away. He was also in a great mood with a better appetite than usual.

Yeah..not normal.

UC bring with it plenty of inflammatory response for the rest of the body, although he seldom has a flare up and his other symptoms include; anxiety, sleeplessness, chronic inflammation of the joints and spine, and a possibility of advanced aging.

He's been aging pretty fast the last few years by my estimation. He moves slow though is very active athetically doing lots of cardio. He's been chronically stiffening up the last 5-8 years meaning his spine is losing flexibility and his posture has gone to pot. I convinced him to get into Yoga and this has helped some..but he still has issues. He reports his libido as high...but I really have no idea what he's considering "high"

So I surmised that he might be chronically low in adrenal hormones and that the prednisone mimiced cortisol output and his body rejoiced as it were. Alternatively, he might be low in HGH or IGF-1.

In any case, I recommended that he see an endo and get a full hormone panel run.

I just think it's an interesting case and wanted to see what you guys think.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
My best friend (age 33) has a mild case of ulcerative colitis..which is really a sideline to this story. In any case, he had to do a short pulse of Prednisone to bring it under control.

I warned him about all the nasty sides from this drug but to my surprise he reported back that "He felt absolutely wonderful.." on it and wishes he could stay on it.:think:

He claimed he was able to sleep better than he had in years, regain a lot of flexibility in his back and all the aches and pains in his back and joints went completely away. He was also in a great mood with a better appetite than usual.

Yeah..not normal.

UC bring with it plenty of inflammatory response for the rest of the body, although he seldom has a flare up and his other symptoms include; anxiety, sleeplessness, chronic inflammation of the joints and spine, and a possibility of advanced aging.

He's been aging pretty fast the last few years by my estimation. He moves slow though is very active athetically doing lots of cardio. He's been chronically stiffening up the last 5-8 years meaning his spine is losing flexibility and his posture has gone to pot. I convinced him to get into Yoga and this has helped some..but he still has issues. He reports his libido as high...but I really have no idea what he's considering "high"

So I surmised that he might be chronically low in adrenal hormones and that the prednisone mimiced cortisol output and his body rejoiced as it were. Alternatively, he might be low in HGH or IGF-1.

In any case, I recommended that he see an endo and get a full hormone panel run.

I just think it's an interesting case and wanted to see what you guys think.

UC could be residual result of severe adrenal burnout which may have been hidden for years or genetically predisposed too. If his body was making enough cortisol then he would not need predisone to make up for lack of it.

greenwing7

greenwing7

Awards
I believe that UC has something to do with an incorrect immune response in the body, in the digestive tract to be exact. Prednisone as a cordicosteroid, and helps inhibit this immune response. That may be a reason why he felt so much better.