Giving Blood While on TRT

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.12%

Giving Blood While on TRT

I have a question for those that have been recommended by their Dr to give blood.

I recently read on another board that the Red Cross will immediately disqualify you from giving blood if you answer on their questionare that you have given yourself any IM injections. I assume they are trying to screen for IV drug users, but one individual I know was placed in this "group" due to his TRT. Now that he is in their database, he is no longer a viable candidate for donating.

So if this is true, other than just out right lieing to the Red Cross, how does one deal with this?

Thoughts anyone?

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.18%

I gave blood through another group and the question was, "have you taken steroids or any other drug not prescribed by a doctor"

Well, T is sometimes called a hormone and steroids usually mean synthetics and I was prescribed T by a doctor so I answered no.

I was going to start one of those, "By the way, on question 47..." conversations, but this time, I wisely kept my mouth shut.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.67%

Quote Originally Posted by BigJimCalhoun View Post
    I gave blood through another group and the question was, "have you taken steroids or any other drug not prescribed by a doctor"

Well, T is sometimes called a hormone and steroids usually mean synthetics and I was prescribed T by a doctor so I answered no.

I was going to start one of those, "By the way, on question 47..." conversations, but this time, I wisely kept my mouth shut.
    I think they are worried about people taking injectibles without a prescription somehow not doing the right things with needles and sanitary precautions. If they take blood from teenage boys (and they will with parental consent), then they shouldn't have to worrying about us on TRT.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.12%

That may be true, but it would seem this doesn't apply. From what I can find out, one is automatically disqualified by being on TRT.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.67%

Quote Originally Posted by SoMdHunter View Post
    That may be true, but it would seem this doesn't apply. From what I can find out, one is automatically disqualified by being on TRT.
    If that were a danger, they should:

1) ask explicitly if the prospective donor is on doctor-administered TRT
    2) test the blood for whatever they are worried about.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.31%

Quote Originally Posted by BigJimCalhoun View Post

And "steroids" generally means AAS. If it were me, I would reply "no" with a completely clean conscience because TRT is not AAS. The hazard to the recipient of that unit of blood is no greater than from a unit donated by a young man with a healthy endogenous T level.
    Last edited by cpeil2; 06-26-2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: correct typo
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.12%

Quote Originally Posted by cpeil2 View Post
    And "steroids" generally means anabolic steroids. If it were me, I would reply "no" with a completely clean conscience because TRT is not AAS. The hazard to the recipient of that unit of blood is no greater than from a unit donated by a young man with a healthy endogenous T level.
    I would think the same thing. As long as your T levels are within range, there shouldn't be a problem. However, once you tip your hand, you won't get a 2nd chance so ya gotta get it "right" the first time.

I was also hoping Dr John would offer hsi insight to this. I would love to hear his thoughts.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.15%

I think what is important is the "spirit" of the question, and not the "letter" of the question.

JMHO.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.67%

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherOldGuy View Post
    I think what is important is the "spirit" of the question, and not the "letter" of the question.

JMHO.
    I'm thinking I'll ask them next time what they mean.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.88%

Most people do not understand TRT. To them, it's all steroids. I would not tell them a thing.

Similar Forum Threads

1. giving blood while on
    By WhatsaRoid? in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 02:03 PM
  2. Physical for Pilot While on TRT
    By kincaiddave in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2007, 12:14 PM
  3. Anyway to not be shutdown while on TRT?
    By willis3 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-10-2007, 04:37 PM
  4. Muscle Gains at 50 While on TRT
    By kincaiddave in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 09:19 PM
  5. Giveing blood while ON orals
    By okboy63 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 04:00 AM