Starting Armour thyroid: what to expect?

KSman

KSman

Awards
  • Established
I am on a trial dose of 30mg of Armour thyroid. It is actually a generic made by Qualitest. First dose this AM.

My FT3 is 3.2 and we are trying to shift to 3.8 or 4.0. My levels are all mid range, but wanting to shift to "optimal levels".

I think that the idea is to shift this slightly and avoid suppression of TSH, wishful thinking perhaps.

My response and dose needs will be unpredictable to some extent, as always.

What should I expect to feel with small doses? What is the time frame for changes and stability? If I don't feel different, would that indicate that the dose is not effectual or only suppressing THS to end up unchanged?

What BW tests would be best or more cost effective to provide dosing corrections? My doc wants to see TSH to see if I am simply repressive. And FT4, T4 and FT3.

How does one time BW for thyroid tests relative to time of last dose etc.

I used to be very active when younger; might have had higher thyroid than normal then.

I tried to pick up 180 tablets at once. They only had 150 on hand so took those. $8.32 at Sam's Club with a business membership. Cheap... but the BW will not be.

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am on a trial dose of 30mg of Armour thyroid. It is actually a generic made by Qualitest. First dose this AM.

My FT3 is 3.2 and we are trying to shift to 3.8 or 4.0. My levels are all mid range, but wanting to shift to "optimal levels".

I think that the idea is to shift this slightly and avoid suppression of TSH, wishful thinking perhaps.

What should I expect to feel with small doses? What is the time frame for changes and stability? If I don't feel different, would that indicate that the dose is not effectual or only suppressing THS to end up unchanged?

What BW tests would be best or more cost effective to provide dosing corrections? My doc wants to see TSH to see if I am simply repressive. And FT4, T4 and FT3.

I used to be very active when younger; might have had higher thyroid than normal then.

I tried to pick up 180 tablets at once. They only had 150 on hand so took those. $8.32 at Sam's Club with a business membership. Cheap... but the BW will not be.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Thyroid/messages/891.html

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Thyroid/messages/833.html

Given my thyroid numbers are nearly identical to yours, Im curious to see how you do, keep us updated.

engival

Awards
  • Established
most people i talk to will only take brand name Armour and i heard it makes a big difference, i suggest you take it back and get Brand Name.

i been on 45 mg for 30 days now and i dont feel a damn thing.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

I would stick to a brand name Armour Thyroid.
Always keep a month supply in reserve.
The only Thyroid tests that realy matter are FreeT3 and FreeT4. At the beginning only FreeT3. Your FreeT4, if anything, may lag behind. So you may need to know FreeT4 late in adjustment period. Armour being made from pigs is missing a little on T4.
My Oct06 (LabCorp)
FreeT3=2.9(2.3-4.2)
FreeT4=1.37ng/dL(0.61-1.76)
Started in Mar06 by April07 I was on 4grains of Armour (never any adverse symptoms)
April13/07 (Quest)
FreeT3=486pg/dL(230-420)
FreeT4=1.6ng/dL(0.8-1.8)
I changed to 3grains.
In attempt to play safe I got Cortef 5mg tablets.
For large part of my ramp up period I used 20mg Cortef, then discontinued
I newer used the 30mg that is allowed as max dose that does not supress adrenals.
I did not have any change in "felling" or otherwise.
Only difference my body temperature raised and is now almost at the level I remember from my youth, then 36.6C now most often 36.5C

If anything I would like to figure out my source for being sleepy and need for a afternoon nap about 50% of the time.

I could use little more energy.

I am hoping that when I get better handle at my FreeT/BAT levels my situation may improve. I switched from Androgel to a Tcream and lost my T levels. After blood test I have doubled my Tcream dose. If my next blood test show that I am still lacking T, I will then switch to shots (another adjustment period, bummer).

I am keeping my fingers crossed on Estrogen area.
I tried byt got bad results with LiquiDex (aArimidex).
I do good with out it.
I use LEF DualAction 4 pills now before 6 pills
and
2 pills of LEF TMG
I think this is working good on my estrogens, most of them.
--------------
Armour
-------------http://www.antiaging-systems.com/iasstore/acatalog/thyroid.html
more expensive than local pharmacy, but available, most of the time.
Month of waiting for delivery.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
You most likely will not feel anything unless your dam low. Any kind of Generic armour is good. You need to know it takes about 3 grains of armour to shut down TSH a

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
KSman: first of all, it's great to have your participation here!

What led you and your doctor to add Armour Thyroid to the mix? Is there a study somewhere that shows that this can help with testosterone-related issues?

To put it more clinically, what "complaint" led to the decision that armour thyroid was called for?

I look forward to seeing how this helps you.

Last edited:
KSman

KSman

Awards
  • Established
KSman: first of all, it's great to have your participation here!

What led you and your doctor to add Armour Thyroid to the mix? Is there a study somewhere that shows that this can help with testosterone-related issues?

To put it more clinically, what "complaint" led to the decision that armour thyroid was called for?

I look forward to seeing how this helps you.
I still feel like my energy is low. Others here suggested that an my middle of range levels would be more 'optimal' is increased. I had the tests ordered because of low energy from before I got AI, my doc also thought I might be better off with a higher levels.

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
You need to know it takes about 3 grains of armour to shut down TSH a
Really? Since I am only on 2 grains, if I needed to come off of it - I should rebound to my "normal" level?