Low TSH and Low T4? - AnabolicMinds.com

Low TSH and Low T4?

1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Low TSH and Low T4?

I was told this today by my doc during a chekup and she was confused and ordered some appt with nuclear medicine to do some kind of Thyroid uptake thingamajigga?

Anyone off the top of their head, know anything about this?

2. New Member

What were your numbers?

I was told I was hyperthyroid w/ thyroitoxicosis. I suspect my thyroid is fine, but my pituitary is not working right. My TSH was .0X for 3 draws, and the last one it was 1.06 TSH with a T4 of 6, on a scale of 6-12. Weird!

They are probably making sure it isn't auto-immune related, as this can cause odd numbers. They give you a pill of radioactive iodide. They scan you once, then you come back 24hrs later and they scan you again. This lets them literally see what the thyroid is doing. If the TSH is low and the T4 is low, it may be a pituitary problem. I'd get more bloodwork before doing the uptake test. I nearly had that done, but thought it was stupid, as nobody even had a hint as to what was going on. I'm no lab rat

How are you feeling? Thyroid sore at all? How is your FSH/LH and ACTH?
  3. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    I was told this today by my doc during a chekup and she was confused and ordered some appt with nuclear medicine to do some kind of Thyroid uptake thingamajigga?

Yeah, they want to see if they can make you glow in the dark!

J/K......Hope everything works out ok for ya.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  212 lbs.

well i dont know anything in this matter but i wish you luck and good health to you and your family Jayhakww. keep us updated.

God bless
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Thanks, i don't have the exact numbers in front of me but I do have blood work planned prior to the testing. I have to follow some kind of diet too. I have tremors and hot/cold hands and feet all the time. At night my feet will feel like they are in blocks of ice. I'm a walking symptom right now lol
  6. Senior Member

No dam way I would let them do any RAI on me my wife had this and it killed half her thyroid. Did you do this test * Thyroid Antibodies (anti-TPO and TgAb. YOU NEED BOTH.)
    * Ferritin (and do stress FERRITIN, not just RBC)
    Additionally, you can have a very low TSH during a one time lab test, yet have an untested high TSH a few days later. That fluctuation is indicative of Hashimoto’s or an attack of the thyroid, causing swings between hypo and hyper.

Go to this site and read it.
    Stop The Thyroid Madness » Index Page
    Quote Originally Posted by smc252 View Post
    What were your numbers?

I was told I was hyperthyroid w/ thyroitoxicosis. I suspect my thyroid is fine, but my pituitary is not working right. My TSH was .0X for 3 draws, and the last one it was 1.06 TSH with a T4 of 6, on a scale of 6-12. Weird!

They are probably making sure it isn't auto-immune related, as this can cause odd numbers. They give you a pill of radioactive iodide. They scan you once, then you come back 24hrs later and they scan you again. This lets them literally see what the thyroid is doing. If the TSH is low and the T4 is low, it may be a pituitary problem. I'd get more bloodwork before doing the uptake test. I nearly had that done, but thought it was stupid, as nobody even had a hint as to what was going on. I'm no lab rat

How are you feeling? Thyroid sore at all? How is your FSH/LH and ACTH?
  7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post

It is strange because normally with low TSH you would most likely have normal to elevated T4. Nuclear med would most likely be a scan to determine under/over active thyroid.

I am not a physician but I do not think low TSH with low T4 would indicate a thyroid issue as much as it might point towards a pituitary issue.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny21 View Post
    I am not a physician but I do not think low TSH with low T4 would indicate a thyroid issue as much as it might point towards a pituitary issue.
    Just my thought
  9. Professional Member

Quote Originally Posted by pmgamer18 View Post
    No dam way I would let them do any RAI on me my wife had this and it killed half her thyroid. Did you do this test * Thyroid Antibodies (anti-TPO and TgAb. YOU NEED BOTH.)
    * Ferritin (and do stress FERRITIN, not just RBC)
    Additionally, you can have a very low TSH during a one time lab test, yet have an untested high TSH a few days later. That fluctuation is indicative of Hashimoto’s or an attack of the thyroid, causing swings between hypo and hyper.

Go to this site and read it.
    Stop The Thyroid Madness » Index Page
    Listen to Phil.
    study the stopthethyroidmadness
    you do not want to do destructive testing

Similar Forum Threads

1. Help me understand my blood test results - Low Test and Low Prolactin
    By jami20 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 11:25 AM
  2. overtraining causing low t and low lh
    By mkretz in forum Nutrition / Health