Thyroid support

R

rightship3

Awards
Is there a consensus on on the board regarding the management of hypothyroidism with either Synthroid or Armour? From my readings, the prior is a synthetic replacement, while Armour is natural (taken from a pig). Is one generally preferred over the other?

H

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Is there a consensus on on the board regarding the management of hypothyroidism with either Synthroid or Armour? From my readings, the prior is a synthetic replacement, while Armour is natural (taken from a pig). Is one generally preferred over the other?
Armour hands down!

C

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established
Yeah that's the impression I got...is there any reasoning or logic behind that?

Mainstream endos typically prefer synthroid over Armour. They consider Armour quaint and old-fashioned, possibly dangerous.

But treating hypothyroidism with synthetic T4 (Synthroid) doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. The active thyroid hormone fraction is T3 (triiodothyronine) and it is generally not having enough T3 that causes people to be hypothyroid.

The usual reason that they don't have enough T3 is because their ability to convert T4 (thyroxine) to T3 is impaired. Their T4 level is usually fine. So dumping more T4 into their systems by dosing them with Synthroid does not address the basic problem - low T3 as a result of impaired conversion from the precursor substance.

It is very common on these boards to hear from people who never felt well on conventional therapy, even though their endos said their labs were picture-perfect. They switch to an alternative doc who treats them with Armour and they feel like a new person.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Mainstream endos typically prefer synthroid over Armour. They consider Armour quaint and old-fashioned, possibly dangerous.

But treating hypothyroidism with synthetic T4 (Synthroid) doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. The active thyroid hormone fraction is T3 (triiodothyronine) and it is generally not having enough T3 that causes people to be hypothyroid.

The usual reason that they don't have enough T3 is because their ability to convert T4 (thyroxine) to T3 is impaired. Their T4 level is usually fine. So dumping more T4 into their systems by dosing them with Synthroid does not address the basic problem - low T3 as a result of impaired conversion from the precursor substance.

It is very common on these boards to hear from people who never felt well on conventional therapy, even though their endos said their labs were picture-perfect. They switch to an alternative doc who treats them with Armour and they feel like a new person.
Whatewer tests you do, always do FreeT3 and then take action to keep it in high range.
I tested
FreeT3--2.9pg/mL(2.3-4.2)

3.820 <--FT3 start of upper 20%
3.725 <--FT3 start of upper 25%
3.567 <--FT3 start of upper 33%
3.250 <--FT3 start of upper 50%
68.42 <--my current 2.9 puts me %% from the top =100-(2.9-2.3)/(4.2-2.3)*100
21.05 <-- 3.8 would put me %% from the top =100-(3.8-2.3)/(4.2-2.3)*100

S

spinn

Awards
  • Established
What about Levoxyl?

Mr Dr....one of the best thyroid/adrenal docs around, switched me from Armour to levoxyl . I am not feeling better....or worse on it.

Strange thing though.....my body really seemed to want Armour. I cant explain it but I felt a craving for it almost.

C

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established
What about Levoxyl?

Mr Dr....one of the best thyroid/adrenal docs around, switched me from Armour to levoxyl . I am not feeling better....or worse on it.

Strange thing though.....my body really seemed to want Armour. I cant explain it but I felt a craving for it almost.

I think its the same thing as Synthroid.

J

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
What about Levoxyl?

I wonder if it has to do with the minute amounts of other thyroid hormones that are in Armour but not in the synthetics. My doc is big on the replacement with Armour - he says that T4 is the only thyroid hormone that will cross the blood brain barrier, and many patients will respond better to it because it has positive effects on the brain, while the T3 take care of the metabolic processes of in the body.

He could be full of crap and I wouldn't know it. For instance, he told me that Enanthate had a longer half life then Cypionate and would move me to that if I wanted to do weekly injections instead of twice a week :)

S

spinn

Awards
  • Established
In my case....I seem to be converting t4 to t3. Levoxyl is t4 only. My DR told me he is concerned that the enzymes that convert t4 to t3 may become depleted when on Armour because with the t3 in Armour, there would be no need to convert any t4 to t3.