Spine surgery L3 -L5

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Not long ago (month or so) one poor sucker mention his spine surgery and follow up life in the gym.
I cannot locate the post or his name.
Original poster please respond or somebody please help in locating this post.
I need to find out as much as I can about this type of surgery, my back hurts and I may need this type of help. One or two of my discks in that area are rather thin (not bulging).
Thank you.

G

GRIMNURUK

Awards
I'd be one of the poor suckers. Had lumbar microdiskectomy four years ago. I am atypical though, as had other (cervical and adrenal fatigue) issues start up after this and took/am taking a very long time to recover (still nowhere near fully recovered).

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I'd be one of the poor suckers. Had lumbar microdiskectomy four years ago. I am atypical though, as had other (cervical and adrenal fatigue) issues start up after this and took/am taking a very long time to recover (still nowhere near fully recovered).
Thank you for responding.
I am 67yo. Since about 19yo I had back problems.
Last about 20 years chiropractic adjustment usually was succesfull for few monts sometime longer.
Last year I had MRI done and I see some of the discs are not as thick as one would imagine them to be when right.
There are no bulging discs.
I did not lost any height.
My chiropractor is adjusting me weekly now also he have a gym and one hour/week I am lifting weights per his design.
He advices me to stay out of having any surgeries,
but the pain and discomfort is growing old on me.
So I am gathering information.
Problem with asking doctors for advice is that the question should be posed to the right person.
Whe asking surgeon he most likely would advice surgery.
-------------
I had a number of surgeries, the past choices were rather clear and I do not regret any of my surgeries.
Actualy my last, left arm, rotator cuf, I wish the surgeon was more proactive and I had surgery 9 months earlier.

What would you say?

G

GRIMNURUK

Awards
Thank you for responding.
I am 67yo. Since about 19yo I had back problems.
Last about 20 years chiropractic adjustment usually was succesfull for few monts sometime longer.
Last year I had MRI done and I see some of the discs are not as thick as one would imagine them to be when right.
There are no bulging discs.
I did not lost any height.
My chiropractor is adjusting me weekly now also he have a gym and one hour/week I am lifting weights per his design.
He advices me to stay out of having any surgeries,
but the pain and discomfort is growing old on me.
So I am gathering information.
Problem with asking doctors for advice is that the question should be posed to the right person.
Whe asking surgeon he most likely would advice surgery.
-------------
I had a number of surgeries, the past choices were rather clear and I do not regret any of my surgeries.
Actualy my last, left arm, rotator cuf, I wish the surgeon was more proactive and I had surgery 9 months earlier.

What would you say?

Cripe, your 67 and have no disc bulging or height loss? I was 32 when mine "went" and I've got bulging discs and my discs look like a thin sliver on the MRIs. You must have great "back" genes.
I agree that surgery is the last option, especially since long term it seems that pain reduction is similar for surgery vs no surgery. Mine really debilitated me beyond what it should have and I don't expect to ever be doing heavy lifting, full contact martial arts or firefighting again. Have you had any luck with injections? I didn't but I think they got the wrong nerve.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Cripe, your 67 and have no disc bulging or height loss? I was 32 when mine "went" and I've got bulging discs and my discs look like a thin sliver on the MRIs. You must have great "back" genes.
I agree that surgery is the last option, especially since long term it seems that pain reduction is similar for surgery vs no surgery. Mine really debilitated me beyond what it should have and I don't expect to ever be doing heavy lifting, full contact martial arts or firefighting again. Have you had any luck with injections? I didn't but I think they got the wrong nerve.
What injections, what is being injected where and why?
---------------------------------------
There are days when I am not straight, I lean somewhat to the left.
I am not sure if that is due to muscle spasms or disc or vertebra being thiner on a left side.
Where have you had surgery, what city?
How did you located proper doctor?

G

GRIMNURUK

Awards
What injections, what is being injected where and why?
There are days when I am not straight, I lean somewhat to the left.
I am not sure if that is due to muscle spasms or disc or vertebra being thiner on a left side.
Where have you had surgery, what city?
How did you located proper doctor?
Lumbar Epidural Injection

I did the leaning too. Body reacting to the problem.
Had surgery in Buffalo. Got referral from sports med clinic.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

I did the leaning too. Body reacting to the problem.
Had surgery in Buffalo. Got referral from sports med clinic.
I have not been there, but thinking of this place.
Hospital for Special Surgery
Like I said before, I assume when I go in there they will find a type surgery for me. But they do not necessarly will advice if that surgery makes sense, this is more like individual decission.

If I could see crooked people going in and straight going out, that would help.

G

GRIMNURUK

Awards
I have not been there, but thinking of this place.
Hospital for Special Surgery
Like I said before, I assume when I go in there they will find a type surgery for me. But they do not necessarly will advice if that surgery makes sense, this is more like individual decission.

If I could see crooked people going in and straight going out, that would help.

Yeah, you got that right. Ask a surgeon and they'll say: "Let's operate!"

SufferingEd

SufferingEd

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, you got that right. Ask a surgeon and they'll say: "Let's operate!"
It all depends on the person, the surgeon, and how evasive the operation will be. I had a disectomy the past January. I blew out the center portion of my disc in the L4-L5 region. I feel great. I was only in the hopsital over night. I just got back into the gym this week. I have to take it easy because it can take any where from 12 to 18 months for your back to get back to 100 percent. But I am in no pain and I feel great. Now if they have to put something in or replace ( I just had removal) then you could be talking more recovery time. I know people who wish they never had back surgery and I also know people who say it is the best thing they ever did. Good luck.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
It all depends on the person, the surgeon, and how evasive the operation will be. I had a disectomy the past January. I blew out the center portion of my disc in the L4-L5 region. I feel great. I was only in the hopsital over night. I just got back into the gym this week. I have to take it easy because it can take any where from 12 to 18 months for your back to get back to 100 percent. But I am in no pain and I feel great. Now if they have to put something in or replace ( I just had removal) then you could be talking more recovery time. I know people who wish they never had back surgery and I also know people who say it is the best thing they ever did. Good luck.
So what did the surgery entail?
They fused L4 to L5 and you are stiff in that area,
or something else was done and L4-L5 area is still flexible?

G

GRIMNURUK

Awards
Yep, everyone responds differently. I was Right L5-S1, MICROdiscectomy. (minor stuff I understand). Was in and out of hospital on same day. Took over two years to lose a significant amount of the pain. Three and a half years later, I'm still doing rehab and nowhere near 100 percent. I am really hoping that getting my hormones straightened around will let me finally heal.

SufferingEd

SufferingEd

Awards
  • Established
So what did the surgery entail?
They fused L4 to L5 and you are stiff in that area,
or something else was done and L4-L5 area is still flexible?
All they did was remove what I had blown out. I am still flexiable, actually while I was stretching to work out, I actually felt more flexible. The made about a 3 inch incision, went in, pulled bad stuff out, and stichted me up. I was in the hospital overnight. I had the surgery on a Thursday and I was riding around running errands with my wife a Sunday.

SufferingEd

SufferingEd

Awards
  • Established
Yep, everyone responds differently. I was Right L5-S1, MICROdiscectomy. (minor stuff I understand). Was in and out of hospital on same day. Took over two years to lose a significant amount of the pain. Three and a half years later, I'm still doing rehab and nowhere near 100 percent. I am really hoping that getting my hormones straightened around will let me finally heal.
Mine was minor too. Never really had any pain. Sorry you are still having problems. Good luck, escpecially with the hormones. Mine are still a mess too. For the last two weeks I felt OK and today I am having anxiety. This sucks. Hopefully I will be calling Dr. John or Shippen soon.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Are you any better than before the surgery?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Mine was minor too. Never really had any pain. Sorry you are still having problems. Good luck, escpecially with the hormones. Mine are still a mess too. For the last two weeks I felt OK and today I am having anxiety. This sucks. Hopefully I will be calling Dr. John or Shippen soon.
Is it that you did not had any pain after surgery, yes?

If you didn't had any pain before surgery would not make sense going under knife, unles there are other reasons.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Now I have a dillema.
Starting this thread woked up search engine and one of the advertisers.
University Spine Associates, PA - Princeton Spine Surgery

University Spine Associates is a spine surgery practice which is designed to provide world class spinal care to patients in the greater Princeton area and throughout New Jersey.
==========================================
So now either this outfit or
HSS - Physician Referral Service
Hospital for special surgeries.

Now I have a choice, which one should I try.
Guys in Princeton do only spine, possibly better choice.

P

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
JansZ, whats your GH level? Any GH treatment?

I have read some absolutely amazing things about athletes using short term GH treament after surgery and having miraculous healing rates.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
JansZ, whats your GH level? Any GH treatment?

I have read some absolutely amazing things about athletes using short term GH treament after surgery and having miraculous healing rates.
How do you test for Growth Hormone?
I have a cancer Liposarcoma, I think any direct GH supplementation would not be a good idea.
On my April13/07 I have

IGF Binding protein-3--- 4.5 mg/L (3.0-6.6)
IGF-1---------------- 158 ng/mL (75-228)

IGF-1 increased from
5/5/06 IGF-1=100
8/26/05 IGF-1=120

I am guessing 1gram/day 100mg/1gram pregnenolone must have done it, not sure what else could have been.
Before that I had deficiency in DHEA and pregnenolone.
Unless I am running out of shape. I am somewhat afraid that I may have to exercise more, my resting heart beat is lately higher, around 70.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
There is a thread on here in the GH/IGF-1 section about how to recover from damaged discs in that very region. Go have a read, it is well worth it. AVOID THE SURGERY AT ALL COSTS!

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
There is a thread on here in the GH/IGF-1 section about how to recover from damaged discs in that very region. Go have a read, it is well worth it. AVOID THE SURGERY AT ALL COSTS!
Please post link.
Thank you.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Please post link.
Thank you.
You're the one with the ****ed up back and you want me to work for you? What do you think I am, your ****ing slave you stupid goddamn moron? What the hell is wrong with you, here I am giving you valuable information and you go and tell me the platter isn't silver? Go hang yourself, ****head.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
You're the one with the ****ed up back and you want me to work for you? What do you think I am, your ****ing slave you stupid goddamn moron? What the hell is wrong with you, here I am giving you valuable information and you go and tell me the platter isn't silver? Go hang yourself, ****head.
You must be a Southern Gentlemen;
thank you for your help,
sorry if I offended you in any way.

P

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
How do you test for Growth Hormone?
I have a cancer Liposarcoma, I think any direct GH supplementation would not be a good idea.
On my April13/07 I have

IGF Binding protein-3--- 4.5 mg/L (3.0-6.6)
IGF-1---------------- 158 ng/mL (75-228)

IGF-1 increased from
5/5/06 IGF-1=100
8/26/05 IGF-1=120

I am guessing 1gram/day 100mg/1gram pregnenolone must have done it, not sure what else could have been.
Before that I had deficiency in DHEA and pregnenolone.
Unless I am running out of shape. I am somewhat afraid that I may have to exercise more, my resting heart beat is lately higher, around 70.
Jansz,
Im no cancer expert. Discuss with doctor.

I would bet 10 -1 that a combination of pregnenolone cream and getting E levels in proper balance increased IGF-1. Pregnenolone is a building block for alot. E will blunt IGF-1 levels.

Height/weight/BF%? That resting heart rate could definitely come down.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
:dance:
Ok;
I am in pain, so far my no-surgical choices are:

Invertrac-Back pain relief

Coutesy of Grunt76
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/igf-1-gh/65525-herniated-disks-gh.html

And courtesy of Plymout City for helping with a link.
It is nice to have a diversion here from time to time.
Paid by Grunt76.
Going to see my guru tonight, Luca Barrichi.
:dance:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5CfbkC5Sj0"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gQEik74U7k&mode=related&search="]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzBKgflP-bg&mode=related&search="]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Attachments

Z

zues

Awards
I had severely herniated discs at L4-L5 and L5-S1. After a ton of research went to Mt Sinai in NYC and met with Dr. Joshua Bedersen. He Did the micro diskectomy and after about three months I was fully recooped and could stand upright for the first time in yrs. I haven't had any pain since 2001 when it was done. I work an extremely physical job 7 days a week without any problem. In my case surgery was the only option so I'm glad it worked. I would try other options first if they are available to you. Also, sometimes the shots can leave enough scar tissue that makes some of the newer micro surguries not a good option, so discuss and research all options before deciding which one(s) to choose.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I had severely herniated discs at L4-L5 and L5-S1. After a ton of research went to Mt Sinai in NYC and met with Dr. Joshua Bedersen. He Did the micro diskectomy and after about three months I was fully recooped and could stand upright for the first time in yrs. I haven't had any pain since 2001 when it was done. I work an extremely physical job 7 days a week without any problem. In my case surgery was the only option so I'm glad it worked. I would try other options first if they are available to you. Also, sometimes the shots can leave enough scar tissue that makes some of the newer micro surguries not a good option, so discuss and research all options before deciding which one(s) to choose.
Department of Neurosurgery - Mount Sinai School of Medicine

There is a picture of a doctor under the link, tell me if this is the person you are talking about.
Joshua B. Bederson, M.D.
Professor, Neurosurgery

E-mail: [email protected]
Tel: (212) 241-2377
==========================================
If that is him, do you think it would work, if I send him one page diagnosis I got with my MRI?

Possibly I may need your real name (by PM) to show that I got referenced by satisfied patient.

What kind of work you do?
I did not had any shots in that area so possibly no scar tissues there.

Z

zues

Awards
Jansz, That is the right doctor. I can't say if he would/could do anything without you actually seeing him. I went to his office with my mri's and had a consultation. If you do need my name for a reference I'd be happy to help. I am a dairy farmer - 12hr to 20hr days, 7 days a week - lots of physical labor.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Jansz, That is the right doctor. I can't say if he would/could do anything without you actually seeing him. I went to his office with my mri's and had a consultation. If you do need my name for a reference I'd be happy to help. I am a dairy farmer - 12hr to 20hr days, 7 days a week - lots of physical labor.
Thank you very much.
I will take from here.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanSz
thank you for your help,

Well done.
While writting it I was not sure,
after all by my reply I offended half of southern population.

Z

zues

Awards
Just wanted to say Thanks Dr John for the tip 'o the hat.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Just wanted to say Thanks Dr John for the tip 'o the hat.
My parents had a little farm in Poland (1801's technology).
What I am missing most is
drinking a warm milk straight from the cow
and
drinking warm eggs straight from the chicken.

How far are you from Zip 07054?

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanSz
thank you for your help,

While writting it I was not sure,
after all by my reply I offended half of southern population.
I have read nearly all of your informative posts, and tried to add to your reputation several times. Unfortunately I've been told that I must spread more to others first. That could take a while. I’m selective.

You get my “tip of the hat” for helping others. You certainly did not deserve that foul and disgusting response. I’m glad to see that “gentleman” banned. We don’t need his like around here.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I have read nearly all of your informative posts, and tried to add to your reputation several times. Unfortunately I've been told that I must spread more to others first. That could take a while. I’m selective.

You get my “tip of the hat” for helping others. You certainly did not deserve that foul and disgusting response. I’m glad to see that “gentleman” banned. We don’t need his like around here.
Thank you for the tip of the hat.

However I beg to differ with you on topic of banning.

I already got excellent results using the exercise with a ball that Grunt76 recomended.

He just happen to have had a bad moment, he is very smart fellow and we would miss a lot if he dissapear.

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
Thank you for the tip of the hat.

However I beg to differ with you on topic of banning.

I already got excellent results using the exercise with a ball that Grunt76 recomended.

He just happen to have had a bad moment, he is very smart fellow and we would miss a lot if he dissapear.
That was a decent thing for you to say. I'm glad his advice has helped you.

N

norwegianX

Awards
MOD EDIT: Our policies are not up for debate. Read them, respect them. That's it. If you don't like, you don't need to be here.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Sorry. My apologies to Jansz. I was having a bad moment and I did not have the link on hand, as they never are.
This is the problem with this board it collects broken toys.
Every body here have some kind of a monkey on his back.
We have to remember that and make allowance for it.

I am so glad to hear from you Grunt76.
You have given me good advice. :clap2:
With this excercise I feel better than ever since June 06 when this whole thing started.
Hopefully I will not need any surgery, or at least for a while.
Thanks again.

Edited June 12/07

It is month latter, my back still holds, thanks Grunt76.
If you read this, any additional excercise specific to back?
I use deep lounges, but can do no more than about 20 steps.

P

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
JanSz I just was talking to my brother in low and his brother in law has a real bad back. The last thing the Dr.'s come up with to help him with his pain is called Rhizotomy the burn the nerve ends to stop the pain. Here is a link about it.
http://www.steadyhealth.com/Cervical_Rhizotomy_Procedure_t86185.html
Have you or anyone heard of this and is it anygood please let me Know.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
This is the problem with this board it collects broken toys.
Every body here have some kind of a monkey on his back.
We have to remember that and make allowance for it.

I am so glad to hear from you Grunt76.
You have given me good advice. :clap2:
With this excercise I feel better than ever since June 06 when this whole thing started.
Hopefully I will not need any surgery, or at least for a while.
Thanks again.

Edited June 12/07

It is month latter, my back still holds, thanks Grunt76.
If you read this, any additional excercise specific to back?
I use deep lounges, but can do no more than about 20 steps.
Keep doing the stretch/hyperextension on the ball atop the bench, but add a dumbell between your feet. With some practice it is easy to hold one there, and 40lbs can feel pretty heavy. You want to get those erectors STRONG and at the same time put no pressure on your injury. This is your ticket bro.

I'm glad I could help. :)

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
JanSz I just was talking to my brother in low and his brother in law has a real bad back. The last thing the Dr.'s come up with to help him with his pain is called Rhizotomy the burn the nerve ends to stop the pain. Here is a link about it.
http://www.steadyhealth.com/Cervical_Rhizotomy_Procedure_t86185.html
Have you or anyone heard of this and is it anygood please let me Know.
It is the most awful idea ever. Get the back to good, don't just dull the feeling of pain.... OMG.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Keep doing the stretch/hyperextension on the ball atop the bench, but add a dumbell between your feet. With some practice it is easy to hold one there, and 40lbs can feel pretty heavy. You want to get those erectors STRONG and at the same time put no pressure on your injury. This is your ticket bro.

Thanks Bro, will try.

Edited; 7:30PM
Got 10# weights that I can strap around both of my ankles.
Did 20 stretch/hyperextension.
Plan on doing it 3x every day.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

Grunt76
If you listen,
I am reporting good health and good back.
Thanks again for the exercise.

Want to pick your brains again.

I am considering buying one of these two machines,
which one.

Any other comments.
I am leaning for rollers.

Remove ?????????
You may see the links better if you go to "Qoute" mode.
==================
Slider
??????????????http://cgi.???????ebay?????????.com/GLUTE-HAM-STRING-MACHINE-WITH-WIDE-FOOT-PLATE_W0QQitemZ250167022428QQihZ015QQcategoryZ15281QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
===================
Rollers
?????????http://cgi.?????????ebay????????.com/GLUTE-HAM-STRING-MACHINE-LARGE-ROLLER-SEATS-GYM-HYPER_W0QQitemZ260162096310QQihZ016QQcategoryZ15281QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
===================

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/82626wp.html

Attachments

G

GRIMNURUK

Awards
Any other comments.

I'd love to be able to afford one of those/have the room for it. I have started doing barbell rollouts and they are making a huge difference. I can't do extensions because the range of motion puts too much stress on my discs, but rollouts...oh yeah! Also doing bunch of weightless "single leg stiff leg deadlifts" (t-nation) and pistols. Still have balance problems from proprioception being screwed up but much better than before. All very slow going but I've been rehabing for going on 4 years now so any progress is a good thing.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Any other comments.

I'd love to be able to afford one of those/have the room for it. I have started doing barbell rollouts and they are making a huge difference. I can't do extensions because the range of motion puts too much stress on my discs, but rollouts...oh yeah! Also doing bunch of weightless "single leg stiff leg deadlifts" (t-nation) and pistols. Still have balance problems from proprioception being screwed up but much better than before. All very slow going but I've been rehabing for going on 4 years now so any progress is a good thing.
How far are you from ZIP 07054

On the links I posted, middle of the page, thery show animation of four exercises to be done on this machines.
Anything else that can be done?
One that I think of, doing sort of crunches, while lying on the machine face up.
See picture on my old frame (sorry I am 67yo)

I know the links are pain, but otherwise I was not able to post anything.
Go to "quote" mode, copy and then remove all question marks.

Attachments

G

GRIMNURUK

Awards
How far are you from ZIP 07054

On the links I posted, middle of the page, thery show animation of four exercises to be done on this machines.
Anything else that can be done?
One that I think of, doing sort of crunches, while lying on the machine face up.

I know the links are pain, but otherwise I was not able to post anything.
Go to "quote" mode, copy and then remove all question marks.
well, what they are not showing is the full range Glute Hamstring Back exercise that it is built for (an extension followed by a leg curl that puts your body upright. pics here: http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=510730)

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
well, what they are not showing is the full range Glute Hamstring Back exercise that it is built for (an extension followed by a leg curl that puts your body upright. pics here: http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=510730)
Do you need knee pads for that exercise or just tremendous hamstrings?

In machine description (the machine that I am considering buiyng) I saw words on knee pads, but I am not seeing any pads on pictures.

On the t-nation link, the top picture have something that may resemble knee pads. The picture over the one I am attaching to this post.

Attachments

G

GRIMNURUK

Awards
Do you need knee pads for that exercise or just tremendous hamstrings?

In machine description (the machine that I am considering buiyng) I saw words on knee pads, but I am not seeing any pads on pictures.

On the t-nation link, the top picture have something that may resemble knee pads. The picture over the one I am attaching to this post.
just the hamstrings. you are still leaning on the hip pad some so that is where your weight sits.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
just the hamstrings. you are still leaning on the hip pad some so that is where your weight sits.
The old frame that I am lying on have no ajustments at all, other then hight of leg support,
another reason why I want the new machine.
---------------
Just do not rat on me to my coach, :)
he have given it to me free when I started talking about getting that new machine.

He is also thinking about getting the machine for his gym.
-----------------------
My coach is my chiropractor.

He have a gym in his basement, he trains himself his sons and few clients.

Some of them are real bodybuilders.