HDL always low, any suggestions?

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
Hi,

My triglycerides, LDL and total Cholesterol are always "normal" but my HDL is always below the low-end. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to figure out why even on well-tuned TRT, I still lack energy, libido and good erections. All thyroid and adrenal-related tests show "normal".

Thanks,
WF

Motomatt

Motomatt

Awards
To increase HDL levels :
1.Aerobic exercise. Many people don't like to hear it, but regular aerobic exercise (any exercise, such as walking, jogging or bike riding, that raises your heart rate for 20 - 30 minutes at a time) increases the HDL levels.

2.Lose weight. Obesity results not only in increased LDL cholesterol, but also in reduced HDL cholesterol. If you are overweight, reducing your weight should increase your HDL levels.

3.Stop smoking. If you smoke, giving up tobacco will result in an increase in HDL levels. (This is the only advantage I can think of that smokers have over non-smokers - it gives them something else to do that will raise their HDL.)

4.Cut out the trans fatty acids. Trans fatty acids are currently present in many of your favorite prepared foods - anything in which the nutrition label reads "partially hydrogenated vegetable oils" - so eliminating them from the diet is not a trivial task. But trans fatty acids not only increase LDL cholesterol levels, they also reduce HDL cholesterol levels. Removing them from your diet will almost certainly result in a measurable increase in HDL levels.

5.Alcohol. With apologies to the American Heart Association, which discourages doctors from telling their patients about the advantages of alcohol: one or two drinks per day can significantly increase HDL levels. More than one or two drinks per day, one hastens to add, can lead to substantial health problems including heart failure - and there are individuals who will develop such problems even when limiting their alcohol intake to one or two drinks per day.

6.ncrease the monounsaturated fats in your diet. Monounsaturated fats such as canola oil, avocado oil, or olive oil and in the fats found in peanut butter can increase HDL cholesterol levels without increasing the total cholesterol.

7.Add soluble fiber to your diet. Soluble fibers are found in oats, fruits, vegetables, and legumes, and result in both a reduction in LDL cholesterol and an increase HDL cholesterol. For best results, at least two servings a day should be used.

BigTom

Awards
Hi,

My triglycerides, LDL and total Cholesterol are always "normal" but my HDL is always below the low-end. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to figure out why even on well-tuned TRT, I still lack energy, libido and good erections. All thyroid and adrenal-related tests show "normal".

Thanks,
WF
I have the same issue. LDL and Trigylcerides are in the dirt. Way low, which is good. But HDL is always 35-42. Doc said execise and diet. Well I work out 5 days a week . Weights and cardio. I added niacin, red rice yeast and fish oil, along with a shot of olive oil in my protein shakes. that got me to 42 on HDL. I take Vytorin (statin drug) which works great for all the bad cholesterol, but does nothing to up the HDL.
Just had BW done on Monday, so we will see if this formula is progressing.

Motomatt

Motomatt

Awards
I have the same issue. LDL and Trigylcerides are in the dirt. Way low, which is good. But HDL is always 35-42. Doc said execise and diet. Well I work out 5 days a week . Weights and cardio. I added niacin, red rice yeast and fish oil, along with a shot of olive oil in my protein shakes. that got me to 42 on HDL. I take Vytorin (statin drug) which works great for all the bad cholesterol, but does nothing to up the HDL.
Just had BW done on Monday, so we will see if this formula is progressing.
I don't know if you know it or not but red rice yeast is a statin, I would add CoQ10 to my list of supps.

Benefits of CoQ10
The truth about CoQ10 and Statins
The benefits of CoQ10 are numerous, and it is one of the most important compounds for maintaining the proper functioning of the heart. A deficiency of CoQ10 (CoEnzyme Q10) can lead to various kinds of heart disease among other serious health conditions.

What is CoQ10 and why is it so important?
CoQ10 is a naturally occurring compound found in the body, and a powerful antioxidant. It is a coenzyme, similar to a vitamin, and as such assists in various internal processes.

Specifically, CoQ10 plays an essential role in the production of cellular energy. Without this energy, your cells cannot function.

CoQ10 is found in high concentrations in tissues and organs that require a lot of energy. The heart requires huge amounts of energy to function which is why CoEnzyme Q10 is such an important compound for proper heart function. The benefits of CoQ10 are crucial to maintaining cardiovascular health.

What is the link between CoQ10 and statins?
CoEnzyme Q10 research has shown that cholesterol lowering drugs, known as statins, can actually decrease the body's supply of CoQ10. These drugs act to inhibit the enzymes that are involved in cholesterol production, which takes place in the liver. However, they also inhibit the production of CoQ10 in the process! So the problem with CoQ10 and statins is that while these drugs - Lipitor, Pravachol, etc. can help decrease cholesterol in the body, they are also depleting the important CoQ10 that your body needs.

This is why if you must take a statin (and there are natural alternatives), you should probably supplement CoQ10 to ensure that your heart has enough of this important compound. The statin CoQ10 dilemma has been the topic of much recent debate.

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the replies.

I heard that red wine was good, but I am concerned about the alcohol being estrogenic. Is anyone able to recommend a red wine that would be good but not to high on the alcohol content?

Thanks again!

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the replies.

I heard that red wine was good, but I am concerned about the alcohol being estrogenic. Is anyone able to recommend a red wine that would be good but not to high on the alcohol content?

Thanks again!
Have a glass one is not going to kill it it help you more then anything. People need to stop have such phobias and live a bit. You only get one life make the best of it (unless you are a cat)

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
Have a glass one is not going to kill it it help you more then anything. People need to stop have such phobias and live a bit. You only get one life make the best of it (unless you are a cat)
Can you back that up with science? :)

I love wine. No problem drinking it and living a bit. But I'd be more grateful to know that amount of alcohol in a single glass of dry red wine is insignificant, as estrogen dominance (and my newly discovered varicocle) are issues I need to pay attention to.

Thanks.