Any Advice? Dr. John?

smc252

Awards
  • Established
My name is Steve,
I am 23 and have been dealing with tons of issues. I asked for a very thorough test, and didn't get exactly what I hoped for. I finally convinced them to check my testosterone levels, here was my latest test on 4/5.

Cortisol: 21ug/dl
Free T:374ng/dl (122-534ng/dl) Ever see this range?
Total T:15 (9-29.5) Low/Low-Normal?
Prolactin: 8ng/ml (3-13)
Albumin: 5.1g/dl (3.4-5.0)
Bilirubin: 1.2/mg/dl (0-1)
Glucose: 87mg/dl (60-199)
TSH: fluctuating from .01 to .06 now 1.06
Free T4: 6ug/dl on a scale of 6-12
SHBG: ???
IGF-1: ???
E2: ???

I was told to NOT fast, which I am reading the opposite, so I am also wondering if this skewed all my results. :nono:

My Dr. didn't want to check much else, as far as hormones go. An Endo (I saw twice) thought she should tell my MD not to test the "unnecessary things" I asked for. I was honestly speachless, as she called me 1hr before my appt to tell me this. I saw her because I've been having thyroid issues. She told me I have thyrotoxicosis/hyperthyroidism, and made sure my antibodies were fine. I am hyperthyroid, yet have a LOT body fat ~20%, which seems odd since I've had it for a few years. I have all sorts of issues; ranging from sexual, inability to gain muscle (in 2 yrs of hard compound lifting 3-4 days/week w/ a very clean diet), BAD short-term memory issues, moods, hot-flashes and a list of others.

I was hit by a car 5 years ago, but was never checked out afterwards. Then 3yrs ago sustained a zygoma tripod fracture on my left eye socket, requiring reconstructive surgery. I have been on opiates, all the way up to fentanyl, due to chronic back pain and was even put on lithium for 3yrs due to depression after the accidents. (I am now off it, and actually feel less depressed.)

It almost seems the thyroid issues alone may be increasing SHBG, and thus E2. I am in the bottom 30% for free test, yet total test is good. Too bad he never checked what I requested. :(

I'm going in on Friday for an MRI, to hopefully rule out any brain issues but was hoping to hear what everyone thinks.

Thanks a bunch!

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
My name is Steve,
I am 23 and have been dealing with tons of issues. I asked for a very thorough test, and didn't get exactly what I hoped for. I finally convinced them to check my testosterone levels, here was my latest test on 4/5.

I was told to NOT fast, which I am reading the opposite, so I am also wondering if this skewed all my results. :nono:

My Dr. didn't want to check much else, as far as hormones go. An Endo (I saw twice) thought she should tell my MD not to test the "unnecessary things" I asked for. I was honestly speachless, as she called me 1hr before my appt to tell me this. I saw her because I've been having thyroid issues. She told me I have thyrotoxicosis/hyperthyroidism, and made sure my antibodies were fine. I am hyperthyroid, yet have a LOT body fat ~20%, which seems odd since I've had it for a few years. I have all sorts of issues; ranging from sexual, inability to gain weight (in 2 yrs of hard compound lifting 3-4 days/week w/ a very clean diet), BAD short-term memory issues, moods, hot-flashes and a list of others.

I was hit by a car 5 years ago, but was never checked out afterwards. Then 3yrs ago sustained a zygoma tripod fracture on my left eye socket, requiring reconstructive surgery. I have been on opiates, all the way up to fentanyl, due to chronic back pain and was even put on lithium for 3yrs due to depression after the accidents. (I am now off it, and actually feel less depressed.)

It almost seems the thyroid issues alone may be increasing SHBG, and thus E2. I am in the bottom 30% for free test, yet total test is good. Too bad he never checked what I requested. :(

I'm going in on Friday for an MRI, to hopefully rule out any brain issues but was hoping to hear what everyone thinks.

Thanks a bunch!
You have been thru a lot.
You priority is find a good doctor.
Inerview using this list.
Do not use anything else except Quest Diagnostics,
second choice is LabCorp if you have to buy your blood tests from LEF.
Your ranges do not look familiar, unless you are outside USA.

American Osteopathic Association

Thyroid Disease Information Source -- Bestselling Books, News, Information on Living Well With Hypothyroidism, Autoimmune Disease, Thyroid Diet, Home Page of Mary Shomon

smc252

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for such a quick, informative post. I actually live in Colorado, and even mentioned the ranges looking weird. (I've been reading a lot about all my symptoms.) I faxed him Quest and Labcorp's range sheet and he just told me that the ranges he used worked fine so far. :trout: DOH?

To add to it all, over the years I had "fainting spells." Which nobody figured out. Last night I had TWO within an hour! My heart was going 200bpm with odd "twitching pec"-like sensations, racing heart, nausea, tunnel vision, VERY wet feeling palms..etc As retarded as it sounds, I decided to bite my tongue on purpse to try and snap out of it. I went out for about half a second, and snapped back. Normally when I get that bad it's *poof* lights out. It worked! :thumbsup:

Today I was prescribed beta-blockers to help alleviate these symptoms but I am concerned. My blood pressure is normally around 100-110 over 55-60, which is in the range, but not high at all. (One use of PROPRANOLOL is lowering high blood pressure.) At the same time, that **** really felt like I was going to have a heart attack, and I REALLY would like to avoid that! :)

I will check those links. Once again, thank you!

You have been thru a lot.
You priority is find a good doctor.
Inerview using this list.
Do not use anything else except Quest Diagnostics,
second choice is LabCorp if you have to buy your blood tests from LEF.
Your ranges do not look familiar, unless you are outside USA.

American Osteopathic Association

Thyroid Disease Information Source -- Bestselling Books, News, Information on Living Well With Hypothyroidism, Autoimmune Disease, Thyroid Diet, Home Page of Mary Shomon

phatkid77

Awards
  • Established
the propanonol was likely just prescribed for heart palpitations....thats the common use...forget another one...my wife is a pharmacy tech :)

phats

smc252

Awards
  • Established
the propanonol was likely just prescribed for heart palpitations....thats the common use...forget another one...my wife is a pharmacy tech :)

phats
Thanks for the reply, I took one about 2 minutes ago. I figured it was just my thyroid triggering the heart issues, so it SHOULD help. I'll let ya know!

Last edited:

phatkid77

Awards
  • Established
the thyroid most definitely is triggering your heart issue....

my wife was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.....she was prescribed the propanonol (SP) for the heart palpatations too..........she has since had the radiation iodine to kill the thyroid.........PROBLEMS SOLVED!! no anxiety, no depression... she was only miss diagnosed for 3.5yrs!!

phats

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
the thyroid most definitely is triggering your heart issue....

my wife was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.....she was prescribed the propanonol (SP) for the heart palpatations too..........she has since had the radiation iodine to kill the thyroid.........PROBLEMS SOLVED!! no anxiety, no depression... she was only miss diagnosed for 3.5yrs!!

phats
smc252

While you are looking for a good doctor,
get familiar with stopthethyroidmadness forum,
there are few people there that know a lot about thyroid.
Chriss, Valeria are some of them.
Phil, here should be able to give you couple good pointers.
Before you kill your thyroid make real sure that you have no other option.
One of those options, be confident in quality of your doctor.
Good luck bro.

Stop The Thyroid Madness » How to find a GOOD DOC

Stop The Thyroid Madness » Site Map

Stop The Thyroid Madness :: View Forum - MEN'S THYROID

smc252

Awards
  • Established
PMgamer actually sent me the link to that site a while ago. Lots of great info is on that site, and reading all the people's experiences is helpful. I should post, we'll see.

My endo setup the appt to nuke my thyroid right away, and I canceled it. I'm too young to destroy my body like that without knowing exactly what even caused the thyroid issues. I am going to get more bloodwork this week.

I talked to the lab MA today and she is okay with me making a list. :eek: I am most interested in seeing SHBG and E2 because I am SURE both are going to be very high. If that is the case, an AI might be all that is needed to make me feel better and not HRT. Also would like to see testosterone levels while fasting. Isn't that what Dr. John recommends? $100 says free test. will be even lower.

The 10mg propanol is doing fine so far, no side effects that I didn't already have. :)

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
I am having a clear mind morning today and I see something here. I maybe wrong but is worth having checked out. I think you have a pituitary problem do to the auto accident. Your pituitary may not be sending to much TSH to your thyroid. Not enough LH and FSH to your testis to make enough testosterone. Your test for cortisol can be this high because you did not fast first before the test. Get a saliva test on your own and test your cortisol and DHEA levels 4 times in a day. We at STTM use the Canary Club sometimes you can't get to there site if your going to use them just keep trying.

1) LAB WORK from Canary Club for special prices. The saliva test is for a full spectrum: thyroid (TSH, free T3, free T4), adrenals (cortisol and DHEA), estrogen, progesterone, testosterone. You can choose from two lab facilities–Diagnos Tech (saliva test for $144.50)
Canary Club : Environment and Health : Home saliva testing - Diagnos-Techs

Your heart rate can be do to sodium wasting and your sweating. Have a blood test to check your Aldosterone and Renin levels checked if your secondary and these are low normal this can be why this is happening.

Good luck with the Endo's I have no use for them worst Dr.'s there are.

Try to find a good DO Dr. like Dr. John they look for everything before trying to kill your thyroid. My wife had this done and she has never felt right.

You just need much more testing I see they did not test your Free T3 so your Dr. is not up on testing thyroid. Do you feel hot and can't take the heat when the Temps out side go up. Do you crave salt.

I hope you get to the bottom of this you just to dam young to have all of this on your plate.

My name is Steve,

My Dr. didn't want to check much else, as far as hormones go. An Endo (I saw twice) thought she should tell my MD not to test the "unnecessary things" I asked for. I was honestly speachless, as she called me 1hr before my appt to tell me this. I saw her because I've been having thyroid issues. She told me I have thyrotoxicosis/hyperthyroidism, and made sure my antibodies were fine. I am hyperthyroid, yet have a LOT body fat ~20%, which seems odd since I've had it for a few years. I have all sorts of issues; ranging from sexual, inability to gain muscle (in 2 yrs of hard compound lifting 3-4 days/week w/ a very clean diet), BAD short-term memory issues, moods, hot-flashes and a list of others.

Thanks a bunch!

smc252

Awards
  • Established
Did the wife have any part in "clearing" your "mind"? LOL!
:cheers: Just teasing you!

I understand the whole "closed-loop" thing, so if my thyroid and testis don't sense their signals (TSH/LH/FSH,) do they start trying to even things out on their own? I am thinking my last TSH of 1.06 is either a fluke, or the lithium triggered a release. (I know lithium can effect TSH.) OR what if my pituitary is still working but firing the bursts incorrectly? It's all speculation at this point, I suppose.

I agree that it is most likely pituitary related, I guess I am just HOPING it's my thyroid throwing everything off. I refuse to see the endo, and am able to get free bloodwork from my family clinic. (No copay or anything, thanks to my Dr.) I will do one more test with them, and then probably go with the oral test. I know LH is basically a hit or miss, certainly I plan to check FSH.. Should I even bother with LH?

I too found it odd that the Drs neglected to check T3 levels, the endo may have done it and not shown me results. I guess the logic is that T4 is more "directly" thyroid related and T3 is converted by the liver?

I did notice the heart issue got WAY worse when I went off lithium, so it WAS masking that part of my symptoms. The weird part is I do get hot and sweaty sometimes, with clammy palms. Usually I am FREEZING cold. I have the thermostat set to 75, and I am still cold. Then I wake up all gross and sweaty all night. WTF? Guess it is due to hormonal fluctuations?

The propanolol at 20mg ED is not doing jack ****, besides keeping me from passing out.. Which I guess is helpful? Will it effect my blood tests? The main reason I went off lithium, was my concern for this very reason.

I guess there is a positive about this; the ammount I have learned about my own body. Although, I sure do miss the gym and being able to show off my favorite exercise.
:clean:

Once again, you are awesome, thanks for the pointers!!!

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
I just seen my post and I left a hole word out some clear mind:rofl:
I think the salts of lithium help your sodium levels now your off it and dam low I have this same probelm and it will make you pass out. Here read this link down at the bottom in green letters.
Regulation and Actions of Aldosterone
Adrenal Fatigue and Craving for Salt

Adrenal Glands

Also try some Sea Salt in a glass of water first thing in the morning and see if this makes you feel better. Try 1/2 a tsp.
Did the wife have any part in "clearing" your "mind"? LOL!
:cheers: Just teasing you!

I understand the whole "closed-loop" thing, so if my thyroid and testis don't sense their signals (TSH/LH/FSH,) do they start trying to even things out on their own? I am thinking my last TSH of 1.06 is either a fluke, or the lithium triggered a release. (I know lithium can effect TSH.) OR what if my pituitary is still working but firing the bursts incorrectly? It's all speculation at this point, I suppose.

I agree that it is most likely pituitary related, I guess I am just HOPING it's my thyroid throwing everything off. I refuse to see the endo, and am able to get free bloodwork from my family clinic. (No copay or anything, thanks to my Dr.) I will do one more test with them, and then probably go with the oral test. I know LH is basically a hit or miss, certainly I plan to check FSH.. Should I even bother with LH?

I too found it odd that the Drs neglected to check T3 levels, the endo may have done it and not shown me results. I guess the logic is that T4 is more "directly" thyroid related and T3 is converted by the liver?

I did notice the heart issue got WAY worse when I went off lithium, so it WAS masking that part of my symptoms. The weird part is I do get hot and sweaty sometimes, with clammy palms. Usually I am FREEZING cold. I have the thermostat set to 75, and I am still cold. Then I wake up all gross and sweaty all night. WTF? Guess it is due to hormonal fluctuations?

The propanolol at 20mg ED is not doing jack ****, besides keeping me from passing out.. Which I guess is helpful? Will it effect my blood tests? The main reason I went off lithium, was my concern for this very reason.

I guess there is a positive about this; the ammount I have learned about my own body. Although, I sure do miss the gym and being able to show off my favorite exercise.
:clean:

Once again, you are awesome, thanks for the pointers!!!