Low Dopamine symptoms

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
Depression, low sex drive, lack of drive, lack of concentration

anyman

Awards
  • Established
Very interesting. Sounds exactly like Low T. How can one differentiate?

Depression, low sex drive, lack of drive, lack of concentration
Any thoughts or comments on one can differentiate? Sounds just like low T!

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
True you are correct it could be low T also.

However, most hormones being significantly above or below normal levels can can cause a lot of the same symptoms though really, so I guess the true answer would be to have a full panel blood test done.

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
This, I believe is the reason that people feel crappy with lowT. Low T=Low Dopamine=high prolactin.

engival

Awards
  • Established
yeah my T was low but my prolactin seemed to be okay. but i deffinitly have the symptoms of low dopamine

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Depression is more low serotonin, low dopamine is boredom, lack of interest and motivation, poor communication(particurly verbal), lack of confidence.

J Brawlic

Awards
How do you raise dopamine? Doesdoes the your regulat doc or endo doc check your level of dopamine? Anyone take Ritalian?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Depression is more low serotonin, low dopamine is boredom, lack of interest and motivation, poor communication(particurly verbal), lack of confidence.
How to raise serotonin?

Oxitriptan - WorldHealth.net

Oxitriptan
Posted in Hormones & Pharmacological Agents on Wed March 19, 2008
GENERAL DESCRIPTION:

Oxitriptan or 5-hydroxy-tryptophan (5HT) is converted into the neurotransmitter serotonin in the body. Serotonin is a key factor in mood regulation, and the reduction of depression and anxiety. A lack of serotonin has been linked to compulsive disorders, especially the overeating of carbohydrates. Serotonin is also the precursor to the pineal gland’s production of melatonin. As serotonin levels decline with age, supplementation with the amino acid L-tryptophan (the body produces serotonin by converting L-tryptophan to 5 hydroxy-tryptophan via a vitamin B3 dependent enzyme, and then converting 5HT to serotonin via a vitamin B6 dependent enzyme), or the drug Oxitriptan is beneficial. Oxitriptan’s advantage is that, unlike L-tryptophan, it is used solely by the brain for the manufacture of serotonin, and is thus more effective in increasing serotonin levels.

ROLE FOR ANTI-AGING:

Oxitriptan’s anti-aging benefits may include the prevention and treatment of depression, maintenance of serotonin levels as the body ages, prevention and treatment of compulsive disorders like overeating, improved daytime alertness and treatment of insomnia.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
low T causes low DA. Could be one in the same issue. Higher T should increase DA.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
How to raise serotonin?

Oxitriptan - WorldHealth.net

Oxitriptan
Posted in Hormones & Pharmacological Agents on Wed March 19, 2008
GENERAL DESCRIPTION:

Oxitriptan or 5-hydroxy-tryptophan (5HT) is converted into the neurotransmitter serotonin in the body. Serotonin is a key factor in mood regulation, and the reduction of depression and anxiety. A lack of serotonin has been linked to compulsive disorders, especially the overeating of carbohydrates. Serotonin is also the precursor to the pineal gland’s production of melatonin. As serotonin levels decline with age, supplementation with the amino acid L-tryptophan (the body produces serotonin by converting L-tryptophan to 5 hydroxy-tryptophan via a vitamin B3 dependent enzyme, and then converting 5HT to serotonin via a vitamin B6 dependent enzyme), or the drug Oxitriptan is beneficial. Oxitriptan’s advantage is that, unlike L-tryptophan, it is used solely by the brain for the manufacture of serotonin, and is thus more effective in increasing serotonin levels.

ROLE FOR ANTI-AGING:

Oxitriptan’s anti-aging benefits may include the prevention and treatment of depression, maintenance of serotonin levels as the body ages, prevention and treatment of compulsive disorders like overeating, improved daytime alertness and treatment of insomnia.
Oxitriptan, hmmm. Is it a script? If so, for what exactly. I've never heard of it. Sounds worth trying.

Ah, I now see it's just 5HTP. Never did much for me. I take 100 mgs at night.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Oxitriptan, hmmm. Is it a script? If so, for what exactly. I've never heard of it. Sounds worth trying.

Ah, I now see it's just 5HTP. Never did much for me. I take 100 mgs at night.
I did try it too, did not feel difference.
My pills are 100mg

Latter I seen someone claiming that 50mg works while 100mg is not.

superstar

Awards
I'm on an amino acid program to balance neurotransmitters. Amino acids can cross the blood-brain barrier and raise neurotransmitter levels in the central nervous system. L-tyrosine is the amino acid that raises dopamine. So does mucuna pruriens. You have to have a 'tyrosine base' before adding mucuna. Try working up to 1 - 1.5 grams of tyrosine 3 times per day on an empty stomach. Then add 300 mg mucuna to each of the 3 tyrosine doses.

cumkwakka

Awards
  • Established
I'm on an amino acid program to balance neurotransmitters. Amino acids can cross the blood-brain barrier and raise neurotransmitter levels in the central nervous system. L-tyrosine is the amino acid that raises dopamine. So does mucuna pruriens. You have to have a 'tyrosine base' before adding mucuna. Try working up to 1 - 1.5 grams of tyrosine 3 times per day on an empty stomach. Then add 300 mg mucuna to each of the 3 tyrosine doses.
have you tested this before and after?

i am currently on some adrenal fatigue meds and my testosterone is normal about 600 and i can have sex, although some more motivation wouldn't hurt

in the past i used to take a product called dopafibra which has 400 mg mucuna pruriens and it made me feel a lot better

also tyrosine did this

how do i know it's not just the stimulating function of tyrosine that's at work, but that it in fact is increasing dopamine?

may be my final missing link

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Never heard this before. Are you certain? I though tyrosine increased NA. I know there is a nexus between NA and DA, so you may well be correct. I've just never heard it before. I cant afford to increase NA any more, as I am already elevated.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've spoken to a Dr on another board, and he told me to stay away from l-tyrosine and stick only to l-dopa (because of adrenals).

fwiw, I have been using Unique Nutrition's L-dopa (not mucuna puriens). It's not stimulating, it tends to make me a bit sleepy.

L-DOPA (3,4-dihydroxy-L-phenylalanine) is a naturally occurring amino acid found in the human brain and in certain plants (Macuna pruriens aka velvet bean). L-Dopa is produced from the amino acid L-Tyrosine via the enzyme tyrosine 3-monooxygenase (previously called tyrosine hydroxylase). Afterwards L-Dopa is able to cross the blood-brain-barrier and converts into Dopamine by the Vitamin B-6 dependant enzyme aromatic-L-amino-acid decarboxylase.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Something else to keep in mind:

Conversion to dopamine also occurs in the peripheral tissues, i.e. outside the brain. This is the primary mechanism of the adverse effects of levodopa. It is standard clinical practice to co-administer a peripheral DOPA decarboxylase inhibitor—carbidopaCarbidopa

Carbidopa is a drug given to people with Parkinson's disease in order to inhibit peripheral metabolism of levodopa....
or benserazideBenserazide

Benserazide is an inhibitor of DOPA decarboxylase that does not enter the central nervous system....
—and often a catechol-O-methyl transferaseCatechol-O-methyl transferase

Catechol-O-methyl transferase is an enzyme first discovered by biochemist Julius Axelrod....
(COMT) inhibitor, to prevent synthesis of dopamine in peripheral tissue. Co-administration of pyridoxine without a decarboxylase inhibitor accelerates the extracerebral decarboxylation to such an extent that it cancels out the effects of levodopa administration, a circumstance which historically caused great confusion.

aisstea

Awards
Something else to keep in mind:
Wow, it would explain a lot of my problems. I have high prolactin and this causes a low dopamine. I've been having brainzaps (like little electric shocks in the head) for almost two years and I feel them often thru the body till my left feet... The same symptoms are usual after using Antidepressants... I've never used antidepressants

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've spoken to a Dr on another board, and he told me to stay away from l-tyrosine and stick only to l-dopa (because of adrenals).

fwiw, I have been using Unique Nutrition's L-dopa (not mucuna puriens). It's not stimulating, it tends to make me a bit sleepy.
Gutter, is L-Dopa pretty similar to Levodopa? And does it play nicely with Deprenyl? It seems I recall suggestions to combine the two. Do you take it before bed, and does it help getting to sleep and/or promoting restful sleep?

TIA.

male25

Awards
isnt horny goat weed supposed to raise dopamine levels?

cumkwakka

Awards
  • Established
i have a similar experience with regards to dopamine and motivation

on my regime of hc/dhea i have normal testosterone levels (576) but am currently with an employer, but have no assignment in the meantime

i can watch stupid tv or computer all day long without motivation to do anything worthwhile like careerwise

yesterday i took mucuna pruriens before bed about 1.5 grams and 2 caps of 5-htp

i woke up pretty rested but also motivated much more and am currently learning for my career

it's really strange i always had this experience and guess i have low dopamine

i can have normal erections feel normal but not motivated much

any others have experience on increasing dopamine with something else than l-dopa/mucuna?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Not with l-dopa/mucuna...doesn't do much for me besides make me tired. But caber I believe is having a decent effect on motivation. I am curious of throwing in some low dosed l-deprenyl with the low dosed caber and cycle both.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Gutter, is L-Dopa pretty similar to Levodopa? And does it play nicely with Deprenyl? It seems I recall suggestions to combine the two. Do you take it before bed, and does it help getting to sleep and/or promoting restful sleep?

TIA.

Yes they are recommended to take together along with B6 and possibly carbidopa for alzeimer's patients.

I haven't taken it for a while, I used to take it morning and night. It made me more drousy but it didn't have a profound effect on sleep for me.

High dosed deprenyl did not work out well for me either, it made things worse...my head was not clear on it...I expected a big raise in cognitive functioning and libido but had neither.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not with l-dopa/mucuna...doesn't do much for me besides make me tired. But caber I believe is having a decent effect on motivation. I am curious of throwing in some low dosed l-deprenyl with the low dosed caber and cycle both.
define low or high dose on deprenyl. I see dosages ranging seriously from 2.5mg/week to 10mg a day. i'd say no more than 1mg a day, or since its a suicider could try 2.5mg 2x a week. With caber, similarly i'd say no more than 250mcg 2x a week. and be REALLY careful taking l-dopa at that point, definitely titrate your way up.

Keep in mind what each does - the deprenyl slows the removal of dopamine from system by inhibiting the enzyme that converts it, and caber will upregulate receptors. so you have more in bloodstream longer and are more sensitive :)

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
define low or high dose on deprenyl. I see dosages ranging seriously from 2.5mg/week to 10mg a day. i'd say no more than 1mg a day, or since its a suicider could try 2.5mg 2x a week. With caber, similarly i'd say no more than 250mcg 2x a week. and be REALLY careful taking l-dopa at that point, definitely titrate your way up.

Keep in mind what each does - the deprenyl slows the removal of dopamine from system by inhibiting the enzyme that converts it, and caber will upregulate receptors. so you have more in bloodstream longer and are more sensitive :)
I take 2.5 mgs per day, sublingually -- pour capsule contents in mouth. 5 mgs per day interrupted sleep. I also take SAMe and Rhodiola, and find they help dopamine as well.

Will Caber cause tolerance and rebound? I've read it's not good to take on a continuous basis, but not from an authority. Is it safe to take with Deprenyl?

Thanks.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
how old are you? thats a lot of deprenyl if you are under 50-55. Not so sure on caber as far as tolerance/rebound goes, but i'll look and see if i can find anything

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I tried 5-10mg per day of deprenyl and I felt no increase in motivation or anything except for loss of balance and fuzzy mind. I then tried 2.5 mg once or twice per week. Didn't notice much. I gave up on it except for occassionally with PEA> that's when it works great for motivation, mood and libido.

I have seen people recommend 500mcg of caber 2x per week. I have been trying this. Maybe I will lower my dose.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have seen people recommend 500mcg of caber 2x per week. I have been trying this. Maybe I will lower my dose.

I think that dosage is generally for prolatin control on cycle, but if you have relatively low dopamine levels that alone might not make a huge difference

steve999

Awards
My dopamine levels tested very low. I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but you can find them under one of my most recent posts. My doc prescribed Cabergoline, which I’ve been taking for 2-3 months, but I haven’t noticed any change. I have an appointment to review my most recent blood tests tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see if the Cabergoline has done anything. My understanding is various medications used to treat Parkinson’s are useful to treat low dopamine levels.

I’m also taking HCG (low testosterone) and Levoxyl (hypothyroid).

Steinkill

Awards
What a coincidence, a few days ago, I found on another forum (powerlifting) about this new drug (pramipexole), thats supposed to be superior to other ones for lowering prolactin (caber, bromo, selegiline, p-5-p, etc).

The point is people with low prolactin, either because of progestin steroids or just because they always had low dopamine, started to feel better on most the symptoms related to low dopamine.

I didn't try it yet, but if anyone is interested they can "Research" a little more before "Stop" ing on their efforts to a improved well being.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Legit Mirapex (pramipexole) looks expensive! Sounds good though..

There are different dopamine receptors in the body and each med effects them differently. I wonder if switching meds occassionally will help lower the tolerance to them, since they would act as agonists on different receptors.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
define low or high dose on deprenyl. I see dosages ranging seriously from 2.5mg/week to 10mg a day. i'd say no more than 1mg a day, or since its a suicider could try 2.5mg 2x a week.
FWIW,

I had battled depression for years. I went to a pysch who prescribed 100mg of the SSRI Zoloft about 5 years ago. It was a life saver. I felt alot better (but still not 100% like "the old me").

Found (on my own) that my test was low. I live close to Dr. Shippen so I read his book and went to see him.

Long story short, he got my test back to normal with HRT which helped even more.
Then he prescribed selegiline slo-gel (topical deprenyl) and cut my Zoloft to 50mg, then 25mg, a day (goal to wean off). I have been applying selegeline 1.5mg to forearms 2x a day (3mg max day total).

The Zoloft alone lifted my depression. Adding the HRT and selegeline has given me the "get up and go" that was also missing. Today I feel great.

I use the selegiline at 7:00am and 1:00pm because (for me) it has an immediate but nice stimulating/focusing effect that is great during the day but I don't want before sleep.

You have to be careful with deprenyl and read all of it's interactions. Not only is it an MAOI inhibitor, if combined with caffeine it can raise BP significantly.

BTW, you won't get the "cheese effect" unless you take 10mg or more of topical selegeline. I'm well below that and never experienced any negative effects (only positive).

We are all wired differently and this is just what works for me. Took doctor and I over one year to tweak everything.

MetalMX

MetalMX

Awards
  • Established
So would L-Dopa be the best natural product to raise dopamine?

Mine is low - 600 (400 - 2600) via urine test.

I remember that when i used clenbuterol last year i started to feel unbelieveably great for some reason then when i went off the brain fog/absentmindedness and other crap started again. I researched into this more and found it increases neurotransmitters like dopamine and adrenaline/noradrenaline and thats why i felt so great

MetalMX

MetalMX

Awards
  • Established
For me at times i feel almost complete anhedonia (inability to feel pleasure). And inability to feel love and sense attachment to another person.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
For me at times i feel almost complete anhedonia (inability to feel pleasure). And inability to feel love and sense attachment to another person.
I feel like this often as well. L-dopa and deprenyl didn't do anything for me personally. Stablon on the other hand works wonders, but I had to take higher than the recommended dose. It is underdosed.

MetalMX

MetalMX

Awards
  • Established
I feel like this often as well. L-dopa and deprenyl didn't do anything for me personally. Stablon on the other hand works wonders, but I had to take higher than the recommended dose. It is underdosed.

Is L-Dopa a supplement or a drug?

I know that feeling all too well dude... it's terrible.

I might ask my doctor to give me a prescription if it indeed is a drug. It would really really help.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I just mean do an L-dopa search on here and do some thread reading. For some it helped in some aspects, and for other it has made them feel worse. I thought about L-dopa, but after some research, I don't think it will help.

MetalMX

MetalMX

Awards
  • Established
I just mean do an L-dopa search on here and do some thread reading. For some it helped in some aspects, and for other it has made them feel worse. I thought about L-dopa, but after some research, I don't think it will help.
I'm reading more into it now. But as you say i don't think it will help, i don't think so either.

Meth might work... :fingersx:

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
High dosed Stablon (5 - 6 tabs pd) lowers anxiety, gives me amazing focus and a great level of speach. Makes me real chatty and positive but completely removes any anxiety, it's a real interesting combination of effects. It's a selective serotonin re-uptake enhancer and causes dopamine to fire faster. It enhances the functional responsiveness of dopamine D2 and D3 receptors. The best thing I have taken for mood with no side effects. If anything, it is pro-sexual. It's also super expensive to purchase at a clinical dose so I cycle it's use.

Frankistanni

Awards
Merck Medical manual in list of drug interactions states that vitamin B6 Decarboxlates L-Dopa before it can pass the blood-brain barrier where it does it's magic to raise GH and maybe T via stimulation of the hypothalamus. I feel increased energy and motivation after taking Macuna with L-Dopa to raise growth hormone both before exercise and while retiring to bed to go to sleep. Elevated blood sugar levels raise insulin which is a brake to GH release - so should be several hours after carbohydrate consumption. It is also supposed to stimulate vivid dreams. It interferred with going to sleep a few times. Try it, might be a better cure for depression than 5-HTP depending on your own particular circumstances, hormonal balances, etc.