Does this make me diabetic?

  1. New Member
    willis3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    119
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    27.22%

    Does this make me diabetic?


    Last blood test (non-fasting) my insulin level came out at a (27.3) range-(8-20) Yet my blood glucose was only a (66) range-(70 -90).

    I'm a little worried because diabetes runs on both sides of my family. I'm on HGH 1.5 IU per day. However It was my understanding that HGH can potentially raise blood glucose but not necessarily insulin levels. Maybe I'm confused. Also at the time of this test I was confirmed as having Epstein Barr (Mono). Negative for hepatitis and my tcell count was normal and all that stuff.

    Do I have Metabolic Syndrome?? I'm only 26 yrs. old so that would suck.

  2. New Member
    cpeil2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    303
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    19.4%

    Quote Originally Posted by willis3 View Post
    Last blood test (non-fasting) my insulin level came out at a (27.3) range-(8-20) Yet my blood glucose was only a (66) range-(70 -90).

    I'm a little worried because diabetes runs on both sides of my family. I'm on HGH 1.5 IU per day. However It was my understanding that HGH can potentially raise blood glucose but not necessarily insulin levels. Maybe I'm confused. Also at the time of this test I was confirmed as having Epstein Barr (Mono). Negative for hepatitis and my tcell count was normal and all that stuff.

    Do I have Metabolic Syndrome?? I'm only 26 yrs. old so that would suck.

    You really need fasting values in order to draw any meaningful conclusions. What is your diet like? How is your fitness level?
  3. The horror
    colkurtz_spf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  231 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,109
    Rep Power
    672
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    28.01%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by cpeil2 View Post
    You really need fasting values in order to draw any meaningful conclusions. What is your diet like? How is your fitness level?
    I second that. A 12 hour fast is optimal.

    Why are you taking 1.5 IUs of GH at your age. Do you have a deficiency? If not, I'd recommend switching to 2 grams of Arginine and 1.5 grams of L- Lysine post workout. At your age it should give you a healthy GH spike and raise your IGF level. It's also a lot cheaper.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    RPHMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    185
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    57.86%

    Actually, sometimes a non-fasting test reveals a problem earlier than fasting. That may not be the case here, but it can be true. Normally, a high insulin level with normal glucose level shows early signs of insulin resistance, which is a precursor to type 2 diabetes. Be sure your diet and exercise are in order, and keep an eye on the insulin value. Some drs are now putting pts on metformin to try and prevent the development of diabetes. Don't overreact to one test though.
  5. Registered User
    jonny21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,254
    Rep Power
    3916
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    95.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by willis3 View Post
    Last blood test (non-fasting) my insulin level came out at a (27.3) range-(8-20) Yet my blood glucose was only a (66) range-(70 -90).

    I'm a little worried because diabetes runs on both sides of my family. I'm on HGH 1.5 IU per day. However It was my understanding that HGH can potentially raise blood glucose but not necessarily insulin levels. Maybe I'm confused. Also at the time of this test I was confirmed as having Epstein Barr (Mono). Negative for hepatitis and my tcell count was normal and all that stuff.

    Do I have Metabolic Syndrome?? I'm only 26 yrs. old so that would suck.
    To have a diagnosis of metabolic syndrome means you have a group of risk factors which includes but is not limited to: hypertension, insulin resistance, dyslipidemia (low HDL, high LDL, high Triglyceride), & obesity.

    Glucose tolerance test would be a more definitive diagnostic tool to determine if you have a glucose storage issue.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  6. New Member
    willis3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    119
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    27.22%

    I'm not obese...bodyfat is not terrible at 13% I'm 6'3" 210. I want to be leaner and I put on weight pretty quickly. I DO have the low HDL high LDL....that was a year ago. I also have a thyroid issue but that is being treated with Armour. I have taken a Glucose Tolerance test before however this was several years ago and I didn't do so hot. I drank the sugar solution and immediately was pretty tired and felt like I needed a nap. At the time I was told that I am better off if I do not take in more than 5 g of sugar at any one meal. Also they said several small frequent meals throughout the day. My dc has offered me the option to take metformin hcl xr 500 mg at night one hour before bed. He said this would help. At first I was going to do it because I thought it could potentially benefit me but and even went as far as to take for a few nights. I did notice that my appetite was under control more and I didn't seem to think about food as much. Not sure if it's possible to feel this in only a few days on the metformin xr hcl, especially at a low dose of 500 mg an hour before bed. The reason I quit is because I started reading that Metformin is proven to lower Free Testosterone levels in men. That isn't something I'm looking to do.
  7. New Member
    b4554's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    133
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    63.29%

    Go get yourself a blood suger meter. They are pretty cheap, but the strips are sometimes pricey. Test yourelf a few times a day. You'll learn alot. I suspected I was hypoglycemic so I got a meter and am seeing #'s as low as the 40's and 60-70 is common for me. I think normal is in the 90's to 120. If you see #'s much over 125 I'd be concerned.
  8. New Member
    Amazon Doll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    128
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    55.79%

    I ate a box of cany and my # jumped up to 180, I thought that was high

    I just got my blood work back and can't figure out which abbriviation is for fasting blood glucose

    anyone know?
  9. New Member
    willis3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    119
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    27.22%

    Quote Originally Posted by b4554 View Post
    Go get yourself a blood suger meter. They are pretty cheap, but the strips are sometimes pricey. Test yourelf a few times a day. You'll learn alot. I suspected I was hypoglycemic so I got a meter and am seeing #'s as low as the 40's and 60-70 is common for me. I think normal is in the 90's to 120. If you see #'s much over 125 I'd be concerned.

    When you say numbers over 125, does that include right after a meal or did you mean on an empty stomach??
  10. Professional Member
    JanSz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,631
    Rep Power
    2415
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    61.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by willis3 View Post
    I'm not obese...bodyfat is not terrible at 13% I'm 6'3" 210. I want to be leaner and I put on weight pretty quickly. I DO have the low HDL high LDL....that was a year ago. I also have a thyroid issue but that is being treated with Armour. I have taken a Glucose Tolerance test before however this was several years ago and I didn't do so hot. I drank the sugar solution and immediately was pretty tired and felt like I needed a nap. At the time I was told that I am better off if I do not take in more than 5 g of sugar at any one meal. Also they said several small frequent meals throughout the day. My dc has offered me the option to take metformin hcl xr 500 mg at night one hour before bed. He said this would help. At first I was going to do it because I thought it could potentially benefit me but and even went as far as to take for a few nights. I did notice that my appetite was under control more and I didn't seem to think about food as much. Not sure if it's possible to feel this in only a few days on the metformin xr hcl, especially at a low dose of 500 mg an hour before bed. The reason I quit is because I started reading that Metformin is proven to lower Free Testosterone levels in men. That isn't something I'm looking to do.
    Red yeast rice does wonders for my LDL.


    Now Foods Red Yeast Rice Extract 600 mg 120 veggie caps NF-102


    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Extract-veggie-NF-102/dp/B000FAB5GI]Amazon.com: Now Foods Red Yeast Rice Extract 600 mg 120 veggie caps NF-102: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

    Now Foods Red Yeast Rice 1200 mg - 60 Tabs - Free Shipping - Yahoo! Shopping
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Does this make me a hypocrite?
    By bigrobbierob in forum General Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-25-2008, 06:50 AM
  2. Lipid Profile before Superdrol - Does this make sense?
    By CEDeoudes59 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 02:53 PM
  3. Does this make a good cycle?
    By hardlyworkin in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 01:44 PM
  4. I hope this makes me "Jacked"...
    By bigpetefox in forum Supplements
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 06:21 PM
  5. Will this make me "Shredded"?
    By bigpetefox in forum Supplements
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 07:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in