Glutamine, BCAA's, arginine--GH spike

Chip Douglas

Awards
Let's isolate the GH spike brought about by glutamine and/BCAA's and/or arginine.

What can I reasonably expect from it ? Mucles mass, um, I don't think so, but how about fat loss ?

Hardasnails has already privately answered that those can indeed spike GH and have other health benefits, but I want to isolate the GH spike gotten from those and what I can reasonably expect from it over the long term--this is a question that hasn't been answered.

Many thanks to Hardasnails though for the help provided privately.

ViolatedBird

Awards
Could you be more specific about the dosing and frequency?

BigJimCalhoun

Awards
There are a few books that advocate this.

One is Grow Young with HGH by Katz (sp?)
Another is a book that might be called, The Life Extension Revolution by Phillip Lee Miller (sp?)
Katz has a recent book whose title escapes me that reasserts his claims from Grow Young with HGH.

I am currently travelling, so the spelling and authors names is questionable based on my memory.

Some studies seem to support the claims made in the books, others do not. Many seem to think that the younger you are, the better results you will see.

I am not familiar with BCAAs and the GH spike, but have heard of arginine, glutamine, glycine, lysine and ornathine,all on an empty stomach.

The amount of Arginine required is large, 8-30 grams, according to the catalog by Life Extension Foundation - Highest Quality Vitamins And Supplements and by the books above. Everyone says to start low and work up.

I made a big jump in dosage and almost drove myself to the hospital as I thought I was going to die due to rapid breathing, pulse, face numbness, throat swelling, etc.

I mixed
1. Some Crystal Light (to kill taste of arginine)
2. Nutrex Lipo-6 (caffeinated fat burner)
3. 12 NOW Foods Tri-Amino Capsules (total of about 3 grams arginine, lysine and ornathine each - 4 caps = 1 serving and one service has about a gram of each)
4. 6 grams NOW Foods Arginine powder (arginine, generally speaking is the most awful tasting stuff ever)
5. Some tyrosine because "it was there on the shelf"

Currently I am using either the Nutrex with 8 Tri-Aminos, or BSN NO-Xplode with a little extra arginine powder. My IGF-1 is 239 but I did not test it prior to starting all this so I can't tell you if it has helped. One of the books I have says a valude between 200 -300 is optimal. The NO-Xplode has Arginine AKG (AAKG) which I hear tastes a lot better in its pure form than arginine powder.

If you choose NO-Xplode as something to try, and you are taking it early in the morning on an empty stomach, take the NO-Xplode but don't leave the house for about 6-8 minutes after taking it as everyone I know who takes this needs to Xplode on the toilet soon after drinking.

Chip Douglas

Awards
Could you be more specific about the dosing and frequency?
As far as dosing, say 2 grams glutamine either at bedtime, or first thing in the morning.

BCAA's 5 grams along with glutamine first thing in the AM.

As to frequency, let's say everyday to every other day. I'd start slow though, which mean every other day.

Glutamine although a precursor to GABA also metabolize into glutamate if i recall correctly, so before going to bed it might not be the best way to have deep sleep. I've however never tried it this way.

I'm intrigued how much of a physiological one can expect from the short lived GH elevation. Like I said, one should not expect to grow more muscle (well this is going to happen to some extent because those aminos can benefit one in many way, but i want to concentrate on their inducing GH, otherwise the discussion will become way too complex, and we'll get lost.)

Thank you

Chip Douglas

Awards
There are a few books that advocate this.

One is Grow Young with HGH by Katz (sp?)
Another is a book that might be called, The Life Extension Revolution by Phillip Lee Miller (sp?)
Katz has a recent book whose title escapes me that reasserts his claims from Grow Young with HGH.

I am currently travelling, so the spelling and authors names is questionable based on my memory.

Some studies seem to support the claims made in the books, others do not. Many seem to think that the younger you are, the better results you will see.

I am not familiar with BCAAs and the GH spike, but have heard of arginine, glutamine, glycine, lysine and ornathine,all on an empty stomach.

The amount of Arginine required is large, 8-30 grams, according to the catalog by Life Extension Foundation - Highest Quality Vitamins And Supplements and by the books above. Everyone says to start low and work up.

I made a big jump in dosage and almost drove myself to the hospital as I thought I was going to die due to rapid breathing, pulse, face numbness, throat swelling, etc.

I mixed
1. Some Crystal Light (to kill taste of arginine)
2. Nutrex Lipo-6 (caffeinated fat burner)
3. 12 NOW Foods Tri-Amino Capsules (total of about 3 grams arginine, lysine and ornathine each - 4 caps = 1 serving and one service has about a gram of each)
4. 6 grams NOW Foods Arginine powder (arginine, generally speaking is the most awful tasting stuff ever)
5. Some tyrosine because "it was there on the shelf"

Currently I am using either the Nutrex with 8 Tri-Aminos, or BSN NO-Xplode with a little extra arginine powder. My IGF-1 is 239 but I did not test it prior to starting all this so I can't tell you if it has helped. One of the books I have says a valude between 200 -300 is optimal. The NO-Xplode has Arginine AKG (AAKG) which I hear tastes a lot better in its pure form than arginine powder.

If you choose NO-Xplode as something to try, and you are taking it early in the morning on an empty stomach, take the NO-Xplode but don't leave the house for about 6-8 minutes after taking it as everyone I know who takes this needs to Xplode on the toilet soon after drinking.
Exploding on the toilet heh--IIRC this is osmotic diarrhea from a large arginine dose.

I have the grow young with HGH by Dr. Klatz.

Could his recent book where he reasserts the claims about those aminos be : the antiaging revolution ?

I'm pretty certain that in the glutamine study I read which i seem to recall is the Welbourne study, age didn't affect the GH response glutamine elicited, and the dosage was remarkably low (2 grams) as opposed to many aminos.

Hardasnails, says that towards spiking GH glutamine is the best of aminos. I tend to agree from what I've read on forums and from books.

A researcher from a large integrative medical center located in California, has told me that he sees a difference from taking 1 gram APG or AKG at bedtime. I seem to recall that arginine blunted the exercise induced GH elevation, and the researchers hypothesized that it might work if taken before bed to amplify the nightime GH peak.

You're IGF-1 is in a decent place.

BigJimCalhoun

Awards
I think the book is
The New Anti-Aging Revolution: Stopping the Clock for a Younger, Sexier, Happier You by Ronald Klatz and Robert Goldman (Paperback - Dec 2003).

I loaned it from the library.

Chip Douglas

Awards
I think the book is
The New Anti-Aging Revolution: Stopping the Clock for a Younger, Sexier, Happier You by Ronald Klatz and Robert Goldman (Paperback - Dec 2003).

I loaned it from the library.
That's the one i have here. You're right he does reassert glutamine to spike GH.

How old are you ?

Chip Douglas

Awards
A very old 37
I'm about your age at a very old 35 LOL

It'd be interesting however to know what sort of a response you truly have to GH releasing amino acids--this is a subject of interest.

Cheers

BigJimCalhoun

Awards
probably none, not to sound too optimistic here.

BigJimCalhoun

Awards
Is anyone else doing this?

Anyone using Glycine? I have a whole power tub of it but I am not sure what to do with it - hmm, better so say it as this, "not sure that to mix with it in order to be able to drink it". I hear that you are supposed to take these on an empty stomach (> 3 hours after food). I wonder if I can mix it with these Kool-Aid single packets. They only have 30 calories from sugar and sucralose.